You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
sgtmarple

Carriers - Alpha Strike

76 comments in this topic

Players
94 posts
460 battles

All other ships in game have the option you make an Alpha Strike, unload their whole ordenance at once except for CVs. As a Surface ship I can choose to shoot once, in sequuence or all at once. Same goes with torpedos. As a CV Player I only have one option and very often it isn't the best one.

I would like the option to make the Squadron attack all at once, however if I choose so,  the Plane type would get added time in replacement/rearmamend according to how many extra Flights did the attack. Lets say +25 seconds (as a base line) per extra Flight. It would give CV Players more tactical options and more risk/ reward.

Adding to that, attacking with the whole Squadron would largen the area of effect but reduce accuracy depending on how many flights take part in the attack .

Lets say I fly torp planes and I see a blob of ships going for a capture point and friendlies are still too far away. I start my first attack normal with one flight, drop torps and when I get back controll of the squadron I see most flights already in orange. So now I choose to attack with 3 flights at once before they get destroy and slow down the blob. However I used 3 Flights of the Squadron at once so the reamamend/replacement time for Torp Bombers will get an additional 75 seconds.

So yeah, I might Alpha strike a singel ship once in a while but with the risk of a if I miss it will take a long time till this Squadron is aviable again. Risk/Reward

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 8

[NWP]
Players
650 posts
9,594 battles

YAY! UNLEASH ALL THE ROCKETS AT ONCE ON A DD!! Or, LETS DROP ALL OUR AP BOMBS ON THAT BISMARK!! Super idea... :cap_old:

You know why the CV rework was done... right??

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 1

Players
94 posts
460 battles
Vor 6 Minuten, Bear_Necessities sagte:

YAY! UNLEASH ALL THE ROCKETS AT ONCE ON A DD!! Or, LETS DROP ALL OUR AP BOMBS ON THAT BISMARK!! Super idea... :cap_old:

Well, you are a DD player ofc you going to hate everything that has to do with CVs :-) but think it it this way. The more flights you use the less accurate the attack becomes. If the CV player misses most its rockets you as a DD will know he will be gone for some time with this rocket planes.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[NWP]
Players
650 posts
9,594 battles
Just now, sgtmarple said:

Well, you are a DD player ofc you going to hate everything that has to do with CVs :-)

I play the 3 big classes bar CV's, not just one. I'm also making a point for all classes... I apologise if you can't read however.

play all types.png

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
15,913 posts
11,172 battles
3 minutes ago, sgtmarple said:

Well, you are a DD player ofc you going to hate everything that has to do with CVs :-) but think it it this way. The more flights you use the less accurate the attack becomes. If the CV player misses most its rockets you as a DD will know he will be gone for some time with this rocket planes.

But he is right.

That was one of the reasons for the rework.

Players
1,018 posts
7,773 battles

I think this is a necessary limitation of the CV.

You already have the ability to strike quickly anywhere on the map, which is quite a powerful thing (ask any low-health ship who's recently tried to escape from a tactically aware CV). So you pay for this tactical reach by lacking the alpha strike other ship classes have. I think it's a good balance.

• Bad 1

[NWP]
Players
650 posts
9,594 battles
1 minute ago, sgtmarple said:

The problem with the RTS System was actually cross dropping , this isn't possible with one CV.

Yes it is... have you not been paying attention??

Players
94 posts
460 battles
3 ore fa, jss78 ha scritto:

I think this is a necessary limitation of the CV.

You already have the ability to strike quickly anywhere on the map, which is quite a powerful thing (ask any low-health ship who's recently tried to escape from a tactically aware CV). So you pay for this tactical reach by lacking the alpha strike other ship classes have. I think it's a good balance.

So and So, a good BB Player will delete any low health ship that tries to run away. Yes as a CV I could chase after him or maybe stick with those that are not low health. A player running isn't one shooting.

3 ore fa, Bear_Necessities ha scritto:

Yes it is... have you not been paying attention??

Enlight me then. How can a single CV crossdrop ?  I have yet to see any yt video or twitch stream to do it with one CV.

Players
1,018 posts
7,773 battles
3 minutes ago, sgtmarple said:

So and So, a good BB Player will delete any low health ship that tries to run away. Yes as a CV I could chase after him or maybe stick with those that are not low health. A player running isn't one shooting.

A BB's ability to do it isn't nothing like a CV's though. BB is slower and has worse concealment than the low-health cruiser or a DD -- you can't find them (alone) if they don't want to be found. It's often a waste of time and team resources to even try.

With a CV I can do it in a minute -- send one squadron over, kill the ship, and move on. It's so easy that as a rule, playing a CV I NEVER leave a low-health ship alive. I've seen DD's lose 75% of their health and then proceed to do a Kraken. I'd rather not give them the chance. Beyond that, every ship killed gives the team points.

[SSA]
Players
686 posts
16,819 battles

Enlight me then. How can a single CV crossdrop ?  I have yet to see any yt video or twitch stream to do it with one CV.

Drop from the front or (better) the back or at an angle form from a bit of a distance to lock the target into a course to avoid your torps

and in the time he's locked bring your planes around and strike from the side.

For your examples c.f. 5:30 (kind of) and 12:30. Granted it was (still is ?) too easy in the test-RN CVs.

Spoiler

[DC-DK]
Players
2,398 posts
24,389 battles
3 ore fa, sgtmarple ha scritto:

The problem with the RTS System was actually cross dropping , this isn't possible with one CV.

I can cross drop any DD with my US TB bombers

If you come from behind and get really close, so close that if your target wasn't moving they wouldn't arm and place your TB bombers so he get torps on both sides of the ship. zoom out and make a broadside run.

[BABBY]
[BABBY]
Players
8 posts

Cannot wait to see single 15k damage rocket strikes on destroyers in the first 2 minutes according to OP's idea. At least pre rework it took effort to cross drop and there was a chance of the CV messing it up. 

[FDUSH]
Players
1,194 posts
6,749 battles
41 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Because too many noob seals complained and WG did the mistake of listen to them?

• Funny 2

Players
607 posts
7,330 battles
18 hours ago, Sargento_YO said:

Because too many noob seals complained and WG did the mistake of listen to them?

Or because 50% of CVs were bots and 40% of them incapable, the other 10% of the player base using carriers - which totalled about 15 people - were OP and excessively impacting the game. Mostly with cross drops.

• Cool 1

Players
94 posts
460 battles
Vor 27 Minuten, hgbn_dk sagte:

If you come from behind and get really close, so close that if your target wasn't moving they wouldn't arm and place your TB bombers so he get torps on both sides of the ship. zoom out and make a broadside run.

You mean back then, not now :-)

Vor 32 Minuten, rnat sagte:

Drop from the front or (better) the back or at an angle form from a bit of a distance to lock the target into a course to avoid your torps

and in the time he's locked bring your planes around and strike from the side.

For your examples c.f. 5:30 (kind of) and 12:30. Granted it was (still is ?) too easy in the test-RN CVs.

Inhalte verstecken

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but this was 8.0 this is so not up to date any more. Some DDs have great AA they will drop your planes before you can make a turn. Also Premium CVs and TierX might be a different story, but you have 5 Tiers where CVs can't do that. I managed to Torp a DD in Tier 4 because the activation time is low on the Hosho and the DD had no place to turn. Otherwise crossdrop by one CV isn't a thing anymore. Otherwise the Forum would be full of crying surface players...that is always the best indicator if anything is a "thing", are a people crying about it :P

[NWP]
Players
650 posts
9,594 battles
45 minutes ago, sgtmarple said:

Now you've been show. You can stop saying it's not possible. I suggest you do a bit more research before commenting again. 

[DC-DK]
Players
2,398 posts
24,389 battles

You mean back then, not now :-)

I do mean now... nothing is more easy.

Players
94 posts
460 battles
Vor 10 Minuten, hgbn_dk sagte:

I do mean now... nothing is more easy.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you.  If that was a thing, I would have seen it on twich or yt by CV players way better than me. I haven't, not have I seen it in game.

[BW-UK]
Beta Tester
405 posts
4,745 battles

After long talks, the Geneva Convention has drafted a no-fly-zone for the first 5 minutes in the game, but then we are allowed to control all squadrons at once to show our mightiness :D

5 kills in a match also unlock a Hydrogen bomb squadron.

image.png.5048ac495868911bfd4d911bbcca2262.png

[NWP]
Players
650 posts
9,594 battles
2 ore fa, sgtmarple ha scritto:

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you.  If that was a thing, I would have seen it on twich or yt by CV players way better than me. I haven't, not have I seen it in game.

Just keep sticking your head in the sand even when shown proof. That'll get you far... :Smile_facepalm:

Maybe @El2aZeR can enlighten us, can a CV currently cross drop. I know they can, I've seen it. I've even done it. But as you're the pinnacle of CV play maybe once and for all you can shut this muppet down.

Players
767 posts
4,766 battles
1 hour ago, sgtmarple said:

You can by dropping from some distance away, accelerate ( "turbo" ability ) and pass over the ship then slowing down your aicraft for a very sharp turn ( this takes "turbo" power too, works only when you still have some ) and then make an attack run again. Map edges help you turn ever sharper :-))

You then lay a crossfire of 2 torpedo's per side.

It is not like the old RTS situation simultanious sandwich with 2 squadrons and 2 torpedo walls by one CV player from which a ship cannot escape but it resembles it with a sort of crossfire with often 1 or 2 torpdo's hitting because the evading ship often cannot evade them all.....although some still do if the aiming was unsteady and the torpedo's will not go straight.

The other option is ofcourse talk to the other CV if the match has one ( or you have comms/devision ) and perform crossfire with 2 squadrons. That would take advanced teamplay, somewhat more difficult in Random matches but not impossible.

[DAVY]
Players
75 posts
5,553 battles

Bad idea. Getting a good hit with AP bombs is already all the alpha strike you need to feel powerful. 10-30k of citadel damage in one drop plus your engines broken as a bonus is nothing to sneer at if you are on the receiving end.