Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Breeze

Imagine planes with no weapons...

11 comments in this topic

[B0TS]
Players
147 posts
12,936 battles

Even if you took away the weapons from the planes, it's the perma spotting of double CV's in a game which is becoming very tiresome. 

The planes are too fast, too many, and they are perpetual.

God forbid that the CV's had a moment in the game when they could do nothing.

Very tiresome and frustrating play.........unless you are a CV of course. CV players seem to complain too, so everybody is unhappy.

I'd be ok with the CV doing more damage if it made them happy, but only if plane speeds and the instant retake-of are reduced, one CV per match is enough.

As things stand, it's not much fun for CV's or Surface ships from what I read here. I don't play CV as I'm here for ships. No CV's would be my ideal world though. :Smile_hiding:

Good Job WG. :Smile_facepalm:

[ADRIA]
Players
4,808 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Breeze said:

RfkrLuO.png

Imagine typing the forum post in the forum itself instead of some external text box, wouldn't it be great if we could to that? Oh w8

• Bad 2

Players
77 posts

I don't know what you've read but the truth is, that it actually got way better for non-CVs. Before the rework, aircraft spotted everything inside their view range, now they need a line of sight. I recently quite often flew over an island and was in the sights of an, so far unspotted, camping cruiser. Some planes are fast but in those cases, even rocket power couldn't get them out of AA range quickly enough. When the new CVs were introduced, they were playable - if you did it right - but since the last updates you lose most of the planes in an attack and the rest on the way home. AA has gotten absolutely insane, no matter what tier or class. There is no dodging anymore - get closer than 7km to any vessel and you will lose planes. No skill in the world can safe them. The mechanic is well and truly buggered, it's pure RNG and RNGesus currently has an aerial field day. The permanent re-takeoffs are also not as bad as it sounds. Planes are not as quickly replaced as you lose them. At first, there are 3 attack units per type , then 1/2 and then nothing.  While a full squadron has a small chance to get a few of it's planes home, attempts with anything less, will almost always result in a complete loss. I, for one, totally ignore camouflage or ship based skills in favor of faster resupply, additional aircraft and armor but still am short of full squadrons, if I choose to go in - which is a bad idea. On top of that, aircraft now do way less damage. The rockets just tickle, the torpedoes are are so slow, they are basically mines and TBs have no sights.Torpedoes have to be dropped at point blank range, with an estimated lead, based on experience. Bombers are awkward to use. You need to get them in range, line em up and by the time the attack can finally commence, which will miss if you made a slight mistake, most of them are gone anyway. Another thing, sadly missed by CV players, is the possibility to set up an attack from beyond map borders. (Yes , we could actually do that) 

So, if you don't play a lot of T6 DDs, my advice is to simply stay in cover at the start of a game, ignore aircraft and let AA do it's work. Making planes, slower (they already are quite a bit slower than they actually were) or reducing replacement speed, would render CVs from almost to absolutely useless.

If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a dedicated CV player and here's what we would like to see changed.

More player control for AA, be it manual aiming or at least 4 sector based instead of 2.

Dual propose guns have to be set at what they shoot - Ships or planes - Not both at the same time.

At least triple HP or armour for aircraft - The current amounts resemble wet tissue at best.

Reasonable speed for aircraft  - An F8F, for example, could do  +400, in an attack.

Correct attack patterns for dive bombers - Not this "lumber in and  pull up" nonsense.

Correct approaches - Either all attack at once, or only a few and the rest stays safe.

Adjustable altitude and speed - Ships  (and submarines) have 4 settings, why can't we ?  Fully analog control would be appreciated.

The aiming aid for torpedoes, that everyone else has.

If all this was implemented, CVs had as much a chance as any other vessel - The way it is now is barely playable.

And if you want to make us really happy, give us French carriers with Etendards, armed with Exocet missiles. :Smile-_tongue: 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[M_OB]
Players
429 posts
3,933 battles
1 hour ago, OnceBittenTwiceShy said:

I don't know what you've read but the truth is, that it actually got way better for non-CVs. Before the rework, aircraft spotted everything inside their view range, now they need a line of sight. I recently quite often flew over an island and was in the sights of an, so far unspotted, camping cruiser. Some planes are fast but in those cases, even rocket power couldn't get them out of AA range quickly enough. When the new CVs were introduced, they were playable - if you did it right - but since the last updates you lose most of the planes in an attack and the rest on the way home. AA has gotten absolutely insane, no matter what tier or class. There is no dodging anymore - get closer than 7km to any vessel and you will lose planes. No skill in the world can safe them. The mechanic is well and truly buggered, it's pure RNG and RNGesus currently has an aerial field day. The permanent re-takeoffs are also not as bad as it sounds. Planes are not as quickly replaced as you lose them. At first, there are 3 attack units per type , then 1/2 and then nothing.  While a full squadron has a small chance to get a few of it's planes home, attempts with anything less, will almost always result in a complete loss. I, for one, totally ignore camouflage or ship based skills in favor of faster resupply, additional aircraft and armor but still am short of full squadrons, if I choose to go in - which is a bad idea. On top of that, aircraft now do way less damage. The rockets just tickle, the torpedoes are are so slow, they are basically mines and TBs have no sights.Torpedoes have to be dropped at point blank range, with an estimated lead, based on experience. Bombers are awkward to use. You need to get them in range, line em up and by the time the attack can finally commence, which will miss if you made a slight mistake, most of them are gone anyway. Another thing, sadly missed by CV players, is the possibility to set up an attack from beyond map borders. (Yes , we could actually do that) 

So, if you don't play a lot of T6 DDs, my advice is to simply stay in cover at the start of a game, ignore aircraft and let AA do it's work. Making planes, slower (they already are quite a bit slower than they actually were) or reducing replacement speed, would render CVs from almost to absolutely useless.

If you haven't noticed by now, I'm a dedicated CV player and here's what we would like to see changed.

More player control for AA, be it manual aiming or at least 4 sector based instead of 2.

Dual propose guns have to be set at what they shoot - Ships or planes - Not both at the same time.

At least triple HP or armour for aircraft - The current amounts resemble wet tissue at best.

Reasonable speed for aircraft  - An F8F, for example, could do  +400, in an attack.

Correct attack patterns for dive bombers - Not this "lumber in and  pull up" nonsense.

Correct approaches - Either all attack at once, or only a few and the rest stays safe.

Adjustable altitude and speed - Ships  (and submarines) have 4 settings, why can't we ?  Fully analog control would be appreciated.

The aiming aid for torpedoes, that everyone else has.

If all this was implemented, CVs had as much a chance as any other vessel - The way it is now is barely playable.

And if you want to make us really happy, give us French carriers with Etendards, armed with Exocet missiles. :Smile-_tongue: 

Your suggestions would make CVs way too powerful. Honestly theres nothing wrong with CVs now except for how horrible they are when theyre bottom tier. The rest is simply an l2p issue, sorry to say.

I have no issues getting 100k damage games in T8 (in T8 matches) if I want to damage farm. Althou I tend to play more strategically and therefor usually end up at around 70-80k (once again when top tier).

Theres two major issues of why your planes die.

1. because AA two tiers higher than your ship is too powerful and this should be fixed.

2. most players run around in a group, its difficult to find ships alone. This together with most people playing AA specced AA ships makes the experience horrible. This WILL however settle down eventually.

The most frustrating thing with playing CVs right now is that you can get locked out of the battle by people grouping up or because youre bottom tier. And that is a thing thats fairly unique for CVs.

The second thing is that CV spotting can be considered too powerful. I mean I almost never do under 100k spotting per game in T8, even in T10 matches. The problem is that running around with your planes and spot things will give you nothing. Its boring to play and doesnt give much xp or credits.

Since we already removed all uneven tierd CVs. Cap CVs at +/- 1 in the matchmaker. That would help a LOT with the gameplay without nerfing or buffing anything.

Then make planespotting work like radar, it takes ex amount of seconds for your teammates to see the targets youre spotting with your planes. That might give DDs a chance to defend themselves.

Players
740 posts
4,741 battles
20 minutes ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

The problem is that running around with your planes and spot things will give you nothing. Its boring to play and doesnt give much xp or credits.

I don't think that is true.....i still see damage-upon-spotting numbers registering when flying near enemy ships when they are shot by allied ships. I also think this is the main damage that kills DD, not the rockets. Angry DD players THINK it is the rockets......or the bombs or torpedo's for CA/CL and BB. But nearly always they are under shell attack too, doing far greater damage to them.

Would explain also still reasonable XP and credits while having done only low damage, and not scaling XP and credits when you did high direct damage yourself.

But i haven't dared ( you can easily get -60 to -100 K credits when you dont put effort in it ) to see what happend if i fly around not attacking anything.

• Cool 1

Players
77 posts

You see, AdmiralDing3Lingthere is a difference between what you - based on observation and common sense - think - and how it actually is. I could write you a scientific paper on the issue but you might still not believe me. Since nothing beats experience, I suggest you fire up the test server and give the strongest TX CV (Haku) a spin. Maybe you are lucky and encounter a fail division on the other side. Don't be cheap and go all attack skills on the captain. Once your full 12 plane squadrons are wiped out of the sky, by tier 7 cruisers, I'll be happy to hear your: "DAMN, I'd never have thought how bad it really is".

So long and good hunting.

And btw, don't be surprised if your CV acts weird to autopilot commands. Sometimes you want it to just move a bit ahead a it'll go backwards across the map.  Yes . .  they buggered this up as well. At least you get the required downtime, as CV captains are frequently forced to manually steer their vessel out of harms way - which can be quite a handful with these hunks.

Captain_Breeze, simply ignore them. These rockets only tickle and the rest can't hit you. Smoke up and shoot until they're down or go away.

So, I finally decided it was time for something else and gave ranked a try. Took my Z-46 to rank 12 in 4 hrs, maybe I play DDs for a while.

[B0TS]
Players
147 posts
12,936 battles

Hey @OnceBittenTwiceShy, I understand you are trying to help. It's the spotting power that bugs me. Using a smoke to protect from planes is a wasted smoke. Ok if I'm in a british dd but not when the smokes are too few.

Players
77 posts

Patience mate, patience. The DDs on the other side all have all the same issues. Since the "hotfix" I focus on protecting and spotting for my DDs. You only have to talk to your CV, she'll be happy to help.

[M_OB]
Players
429 posts
3,933 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

I don't think that is true.....i still see damage-upon-spotting numbers registering when flying near enemy ships when they are shot by allied ships. I also think this is the main damage that kills DD, not the rockets. Angry DD players THINK it is the rockets......or the bombs or torpedo's for CA/CL and BB. But nearly always they are under shell attack too, doing far greater damage to them.

Would explain also still reasonable XP and credits while having done only low damage, and not scaling XP and credits when you did high direct damage yourself.

But i haven't dared ( you can easily get -60 to -100 K credits when you dont put effort in it ) to see what happend if i fly around not attacking anything.

Yea no I know it makes a huge impact on the game, I ment it doesnt do anything for you. For your enjoyment I mean. I could easely remove all of the spotting damage if I could instead do more meaningfull damage.

2 hours ago, OnceBittenTwiceShy said:

You see, AdmiralDing3Lingthere is a difference between what you - based on observation and common sense - think - and how it actually is. I could write you a scientific paper on the issue but you might still not believe me. Since nothing beats experience, I suggest you fire up the test server and give the strongest TX CV (Haku) a spin. Maybe you are lucky and encounter a fail division on the other side. Don't be cheap and go all attack skills on the captain. Once your full 12 plane squadrons are wiped out of the sky, by tier 7 cruisers, I'll be happy to hear your: "DAMN, I'd never have thought how bad it really is".

So long and good hunting.

And btw, don't be surprised if your CV acts weird to autopilot commands. Sometimes you want it to just move a bit ahead a it'll go backwards across the map.  Yes . .  they buggered this up as well. At least you get the required downtime, as CV captains are frequently forced to manually steer their vessel out of harms way - which can be quite a handful with these hunks.

Captain_Breeze, simply ignore them. These rockets only tickle and the rest can't hit you. Smoke up and shoot until they're down or go away.

So, I finally decided it was time for something else and gave ranked a try. Took my Z-46 to rank 12 in 4 hrs, maybe I play DDs for a while.

First of all dont use the test server to argue. Were talking about live gameplay here.

And honestly if I can do well in equal tier games and you cant then sorry but it is a l2p issue. CVs are fine in their own tier, they dont work at all when uptiered.

Sign in to follow this