Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Wichita: Bruiser Cruiser

21 comments in this topic

[STARS]
Players
499 posts
1 hour ago, The_EURL_Guy said:

the Tier VIII American Heavy Cruiser is not in Kansas anymore.

We know. It's in a bundle. :)

• Funny 4

[H-O-T]
Players
5 posts
2,158 battles

Why this ship has 9 203mm guns but reload in just 10 second but Atago or Mogami have  10 203mm guns, only 1 barrel more but have like 15-16 second reload ??? Not to mention it has very similar firing range as the tier 8 IJN cruisers. What gives ?

[STARS]
Players
499 posts
12 minutes ago, BooMKani_Sensei said:

Why this ship has 9 203mm guns but reload in just 10 second but Atago or Mogami have  10 203mm guns, only 1 barrel more but have like 15-16 second reload ??? Not to mention it has very similar firing range as the tier 8 IJN cruisers. What gives ?

Because the Japanese cruisers have torpedoes and higher fire chance.

[HEROZ]
Beta Tester
39 posts
9,585 battles

can we start adding ships to game tech tree for dubloons ? fed up of having 30k dubloons and not a lot to use it on 

• Cool 2

[GBONM]
Players
65 posts
23,560 battles

Interesting. The gun schematics in the WG text are wrong re the AA guns: They are supposed to show 40mm Bofors and 20mm Oerlikons, but instead of the 20mm single barrel Oerlikon they depict the 3 inch naval AA gun in single mounting form , which is several times larger...  Presume the error is just in the drawings of the text by WG (WG must have been confused by the single mount of the 3 inch gun drawing) and not in the actual ship. Wichita (unlike Des Moines, Salem and Worcester), never carried the 3 inch AA weapon.  

On 2/16/2019 at 8:03 PM, BooMKani_Sensei said:

Just game balancing. in real life reload of the 8 inch gun (not exactly 203mm, but close) was bad, though not as bad as the Japanese weapon, which is why the US placed higher value on 6 inch equipped light cruisers, favouring reload speed to weight of shell. That bias to fast reload led to the design and implementation of the best gun warship ever built which combined heavy shells with crazy reload, the Des Moines. Before Des Moines, all warships weapons with calibre of 203 and higher just had awful reload speed (15 seconds at best, in practice worse). Its good that WG does not replicate to the letter reload speeds (e.g. in some ships reload becomes significantly slower if guns are aiming at a long range), though this comes at the expense of relegating the real life monster called Des Moines into just another tier 10 cruiser (when in fact it was a far superior cruiser to anything built or fully designed by any navy ever).     

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
17 hours ago, BooMKani_Sensei said:

Mogami 203 is something noone should ever seriously take. Mogami 155 is what Mogami is balanced around.

Atago has a repair party, 41 mm deck, better hp pool, great concealment, 8 long range torps per side that it can launch from stealth, higher speed, better accuracy, better fire chance, higher HE alpha. Does one need to go on about the strengths of the IJN premium cruiser?

Players
4,332 posts
7,740 battles
50 minutes ago, DuneDreamer said:

According to Flamu, in his latest video on Wichita, the ship isn't as good as Baltimore when comparing parameters and performance. If this is so, why should anybody spend real money on it if he is not a dedicated collector?

T8 captain trainer for Cherry, but then, said ops was shelved:Smile_popcorn:

[L7P]
[L7P]
Beta Tester
31 posts
7,159 battles

Put ships into game for doubloons please. And until GC issue is dealt with no more cash thankyou.

• Cool 1

[STARS]
Players
499 posts
1 hour ago, Gknight_007 said:

Am I interested?

- Yes

Do I have the money:

- Absolutely

Will I buy it?

- "Nope"

I can see from your money-box patch that you're saving money from WG :) :
1.png.aacbf0237d1886a05b042dd27bff8a4a.png

• Funny 1

Players
65 posts
18 hours ago, Panocek said:

T8 captain trainer for Cherry, but then, said ops was shelved:Smile_popcorn:

Yes, buying a ship for 41€, just to be able to play an operation which comes once every 2-3 months and which is disabled at the moment (and no one knows when it will be back) seems to be a really plausible reason! Thank you!

13 hours ago, Gknight_007 said:

Am I interested?

- Yes

Do I have the money:

- Absolutely

Will I buy it?

- "Nope"

But! Don't forget you don't buy just a ship! You buy a great and challenging experience in the very fun to play tier 10 battles! And if you are lucky, WG might decide to nerf this ship in couple of months and make it even more challenging and fun to play for you! :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

Players
83 posts
907 battles
20 hours ago, DuneDreamer said:

According to Flamu, in his latest video on Wichita, the ship isn't as good as Baltimore when comparing parameters and performance. If this is so, why should anybody spend real money on it if he is not a dedicated collector?

The context I took from what Flamu was saying was that it wasn't as good as the Baltimore with the subtext 'if you already have the Baltimore'. I think Flambass said something similar, if looking up the tech tree it's not bad, if looking down the tech tree then why would you want it? The resulting conclusion I took away from watching both reviews is that it's ok for some players and not worth bothering with for others, so is it a bad ship or a good ship, depends which end of the telescope you are looking through? I've not read any comments in the forum that look at the ship in any context other than 'I've got the Baltimore' which is disappointing.

[STARS]
Players
499 posts
54 minutes ago, 250swb said:

The context I took from what Flamu was saying was that it wasn't as good as the Baltimore with the subtext 'if you already have the Baltimore'. I think Flambass said something similar, if looking up the tech tree it's not bad, if looking down the tech tree then why would you want it? The resulting conclusion I took away from watching both reviews is that it's ok for some players and not worth bothering with for others, so is it a bad ship or a good ship, depends which end of the telescope you are looking through? I've not read any comments in the forum that look at the ship in any context other than 'I've got the Baltimore' which is disappointing.

My point is that if you're buying a premium ship (spending real money to acquire it), no matter what ship that is, it has to have a performance feature that makes it more attractive than its free alternative in the tech tree. The only exceptions are cases in which you're either a collector or have just started playing the game and are too lazy to grind to tier 8 (in case of Wichita).

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
48 minutes ago, DuneDreamer said:

My point is that if you're buying a premium ship (spending real money to acquire it), no matter what ship that is, it has to have a performance feature that makes it more attractive than its free alternative in the tech tree. The only exceptions are cases in which you're either a collector or have just started playing the game and are too lazy to grind to tier 8 (in case of Wichita).

I'd not say more attractive. But I'd say, it should have a feature that makes it excel in slightly other ways. Atago for example is in some ways more attractive, but it pays a price for it and you'd be able to keep Mogami and Atago and enjoy either without going "Why am I playing this and not the other one?". Wichita is basically just a gimped Baltimore though. The strengths of the ship are not making up for the downsides compared to the free alternative and role-wise they have no real differences either.

• Cool 3

[LUZ]
Players
17 posts
4,535 battles

Nice AA values...

874418256_Screenshot(1287).thumb.png.aae3cf4a8b0c73d832ac4f7c52fe4037.png

(WG please do a check before advertising your products...)

• Funny 1

[SPAM]
Players
11 posts
8,745 battles

WG need to get there act together in the shop it says

Nine 203 mm guns, placed across three main turrets. Her mediocre firing range (15.8 km) is compensated by flat-trajectory ballistics and effective ricochet angles of her AP shells. Good at sinking destroyers and inflicting serious damage to cruisers at medium range.

Yet on the Wiki it says

Her rather high shell arcs make leading targets at maximum range challenging,

CON'S

Shell arcs can make hitting targets at range difficult.

So which is it ???

[F-D-F]
[F-D-F]
Players
10 posts
4,097 battles
I buy it and really, it's a very good cruiser, with excellent maneuverability, even more if you put the two elements it is not negligible, on a salvo you will necessarily take less damage thanks to this (if it is managed a minimum the kite).

Afterwards for the points of structures I agree with you, a small capacity of regeneration would not be of refusal (ticket sent to wargaming) but thanks to its two partitions of 27 millimeters, half of the chances I (believe) of to take a [edited] [edited]that compensates for points of structures (I have not taken a single quote since I have more or less 15 parts (from the back).

I forgot to specify how long the gourvernail rocking: 2.9 seconds !!!!! If it's not beautiful that (with both elements).

Not to mention its thin thickness in the front which is a little more than the baltimore

I hear a lot of people who say "wichita is sea, but not at all, make your own opinion of the boat (the stats are there for that) and if I can change the advice with my message bah good because you miss a great opportunity to explode with this boat destroyer lolX D

Sign in to follow this