Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zigiran

Omaha captain build

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[_FK_]
Players
193 posts
4,068 battles

I have decided to keep my Omaha (I allready unlocked both T6 cruisers) and I'm looking for some advice on my captain.

He is currently 10 points, the build being so far:

 

- Priority target

- Expert marksman

- Demonlition expert

- 4 spare points

 

I checked on http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Omaha and it suggests that at the 4th row both "Inertia Fuse for HE shells" and "Concealment Expert" are good choices.

 

Which of these 2 should I pick first and what would you advice I should go for next? The other 4 point skill or first take "Preventative Maintenance" or ...... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
8,246 battles

Aren't most of Omahas guns mounted in sponsons? EM seems like a bit of a waste

 

And yeah, go 4 - 4 then if you're still playing Omaha probably a 3 - 2 to end it off on 19 points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[_FK_]
Players
193 posts
4,068 battles
9 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Aren't most of Omahas guns mounted in sponsons? EM seems like a bit of a waste

:Smile_facepalm: Yes, they are... I should have thought of that earlier. Still, the wiki gives 5 skills a 2 star rating on row 2. Which one should I take instead of EM? AR? (and why does the wiki give a 2 star rating to EM for the Omaha?)

 

12 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

And yeah, go 4 - 4 then if you're still playing Omaha probably a 3 - 2 to end it off on 19 points

But which skills in what order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
8,246 battles
4 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

:Smile_facepalm: Yes, they are... I should have thought of that earlier. Still, the wiki gives 5 skills a 2 star rating on row 2. Which one should I take instead of EM? AR? (and why does the wiki give a 2 star rating to EM for the Omaha?)

Wikis recommended builds can be hilariously wrong. That, and the 2 turrets you have may be why EM is recommended

 

AR seems to be the obvious go-to skill, I don't remember how her engine and rudder hold up - if they'd justify LS or no. You do get a hydro (right?) so I guess JoaT would technically have some use aswell

 

6 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

But which skills in what order?

For the 4s I'd go with IFHE and CE, whichever you feel like you need more. Probably IFHE 1st

 

Apart from that... when I played Omaha most ships we have today weren't even introduced :Smile_trollface: At 3 points... Well Superintended for extra Hydro, but I'm not sure if that's worth it. Maybe Vigilance to make Hydro better? DE you already have, that's probably the best one you can get there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
4,145 posts
11,072 battles
4 hours ago, Zigiran said:

Which of these 2 should I pick first and what would you advice I should go for next?

In the past, the usual advice would always be to go for CE first, followed by IFHE; if planes stay very prevalent in the meta (plus, as CE has been reduced to 10% for all classes), you could make a pretty good case for reversing the order. I think I have a couple of cruiser captains where I've done exactly that, although to provide context, most of my cruiser games tend to be in Ops or Coop, where CE matters rather less much of the time.

 

After that, AR is very useful on anything that shoots a lot and gets damaged a lot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
1,376 posts
19,625 battles

I'd say CE v. IFHE depends on your play style.

As you probably noticed the Omaha likes to explode if anyone looks at it funny, so survival should from my perspective be the priority here.

So i'd recommend CE if you like to play a bit more aggressive or in open water because it's invaluable in getting in and out when you need to.

If you're more adept at using cover and tend to shoot from stealth for most of the time take IFHE first.

Same goes if you just shoot from open water/2nd row all the time and don't care about sneaking up or disengaging, giving CE no chance to shine.

 

18 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I don't remember how her engine and rudder hold up

Not really tanky, but then again the whole ship tends to explode at the same time as the engine, so it's not much of a concern.

Only problem could be rudder if you're caught out but in those cases usually she can either go stealth or just melts with or without rudder.

Then again due to the lack of additional universally useful skills for her i'd still consider LS a valid option for the last 5 points.

[edited: clarification]

 

 

*bias warning, i last played her just before the release of the USN CLs, so my recommendations based on the old meta might be a bit/way off.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[_FK_]
Players
193 posts
4,068 battles

Thanks for all the tips.

 

I decided to go IFHE first, then grap last stand.

When the next round of free captain resets arive, I will remove EM and go for CE.

 

I figure there is no use in spending doubloons on a reset now when it will be free soon and I might as well spent those points from lvl 11 to 14 in the meantime instead of saving them for CE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
1,376 posts
19,625 battles
4 hours ago, Zigiran said:

then grap last stand. 

No Adrenaline Rush ?

That skill is worth it's weight in gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[_FK_]
Players
193 posts
4,068 battles
6 minutes ago, rnat said:

No Adrenaline Rush ?

That skill is worth it's weight in gold.

Uhm, sorry, I ment AR, not LS.

 

I should not post in the early morning while still sleeping... :Smile_facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[_FK_]
Players
193 posts
4,068 battles

Going to necro my own topic here.... :Smile_glasses:

 

I played my Omaha a bit more (I really, really, REALLY like that ship), so I'm now sitting at a 17 point captain.

 

My build so far:

  • PT
  • AR
  • LS
  • DE
  • IFHE
  • CE

This is 16 points, leaving me currently with 1 spare point now and eventually 3 spare points. What to spent those on?

 

My idea would be to try to improve my AA somehow, since at T5 you face double CV a lot:

  1. BFT: 10% increase to my AA damage. While the Omaha AA damage is not bad, it only has a 1.8 km range (using B-hull). I'm not sure if that makes BFT really usefull
  2. SI: getting an additional use of my fighterplane (and hydro). The fighter planes are very nice and lethal, getting another use would be nice (4 uses instead of 3)
  3. DCfF: fighterplane launches an extra planes. This mean I launch 3 fighters per use instead of 2. With 3 uses since I then do not have SI. And this would leave me with 2 more points, so I could take JoaT?

Any suggestions what to take? Maybe something completely different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,109 posts
17,306 battles

If you actually want to go on playing in this sick, carrier-contaminated meta, then choose a skill that boosts AA, like AFT or manual AA, and also use the C-Hull Omaha which has more AA. CE is questionable since everybody is permaspotted by planes anyway. Also EM is questionable, I should think AR provides more value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
1,376 posts
19,625 battles
On 5/3/2019 at 3:00 PM, Zigiran said:

This is 16 points, leaving me currently with 1 spare point now and eventually 3 spare points. What to spent those on?

 

My idea would be to try to improve my AA somehow, since at T5 you face double CV a lot:

  1. BFT: 10% increase to my AA damage. While the Omaha AA damage is not bad, it only has a 1.8 km range (using B-hull). I'm not sure if that makes BFT really usefull
  2. SI: getting an additional use of my fighterplane (and hydro). The fighter planes are very nice and lethal, getting another use would be nice (4 uses instead of 3)
  3. DCfF: fighterplane launches an extra planes. This mean I launch 3 fighters per use instead of 2. With 3 uses since I then do not have SI. And this would leave me with 2 more points, so I could take JoaT?

If you want to buff your anti-air capabilities I'd say buff your fighters. Weather you take option 2 (which would also make this captain pretty decent all following (but especially the high tier) USN CLs) or 3 shall be left to your tastes.

The Omaha does not have enough AA-power to make buffing it worthwhile (this includes the C-hull as well), unless ofc you're not giving up anything else for it.

Another option is to ditch LS if you don't find yourself needing it when the next free respec comes around and take SI and DCfF.

 

11 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

then choose a skill that boosts AA, like AFT or manual AA, and also use the C-Hull Omaha which has more AA

AFT is the most useless AA skill in the bunch. And MAA is questionable since even the C-Hull Omaha has no real AA worth mentioning.

Not like he has enough skill points free for a 4 pointer in any case.

Also the C hull promotes the AA from "not existent" to "completely insignificant", at least for T6 CVs, making this a bad option imo.

13 minutes ago, FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor said:

Also EM is questionable, I should think AR provides more value.

He is running AR instead of EM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[_FK_]
Players
193 posts
4,068 battles

Thanks for the tips

 

As for the B vs C-hull: the C-hull does give mid range AA (the B-hull only has short range AA), so longer range and a few flak bursts, but it does lower the short range continuous damage a lot. So I'm not sure if it is an upgrade in AA or more of a side grade. And you loose 2 guns and 6 torps. I'll pass.

Also, the B-hull AA is not non-existent, it is just short ranged (1.8 km). The damage it does in that small area however is... decent (and turns into crap when getting the C-hull).

 

For FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor: EM was in my original build, 3 months ago. I posted my new captain build above your post.

 

58 minutes ago, rnat said:

Another option is to ditch LS if you don't find yourself needing it when the next free respec comes around and take SI and DCfF.

Is it known if there will be another free re-spec?

Because if there will be, then I can take DCfF now (since I got the spare point) and switch it for SI later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[AAO]
Players
1,376 posts
19,625 battles
1 hour ago, Zigiran said:

As for the B vs C-hull: the C-hull does give mid range AA (the B-hull only has short range AA), so longer range and a few flak bursts, but it does lower the short range continuous damage a lot. So I'm not sure if it is an upgrade in AA or more of a side grade.

The only planes that spend any significant time within that short range AA are DBs, for all others they are out within a few seconds at most and only pass through after they aleady dropped their payloads.

 

1 hour ago, Zigiran said:

Is it known if there will be another free re-spec?

Because if there will be, then I can take DCfF now (since I got the spare point) and switch it for SI later.

You typically get a free re-spec after every CB season. (assuming you played at least 1 CB match while it lasted)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×