Sign in to follow this  
Zigiran

Omaha captain build

10 comments in this topic

[ICYOU]
Players
52 posts
1,046 battles

I have decided to keep my Omaha (I allready unlocked both T6 cruisers) and I'm looking for some advice on my captain.

He is currently 10 points, the build being so far:

- Priority target

- Expert marksman

- Demonlition expert

- 4 spare points

I checked on http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Omaha and it suggests that at the 4th row both "Inertia Fuse for HE shells" and "Concealment Expert" are good choices.

Which of these 2 should I pick first and what would you advice I should go for next? The other 4 point skill or first take "Preventative Maintenance" or ...... ?

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles

Aren't most of Omahas guns mounted in sponsons? EM seems like a bit of a waste

And yeah, go 4 - 4 then if you're still playing Omaha probably a 3 - 2 to end it off on 19 points

[ICYOU]
Players
52 posts
1,046 battles
9 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Aren't most of Omahas guns mounted in sponsons? EM seems like a bit of a waste

:Smile_facepalm: Yes, they are... I should have thought of that earlier. Still, the wiki gives 5 skills a 2 star rating on row 2. Which one should I take instead of EM? AR? (and why does the wiki give a 2 star rating to EM for the Omaha?)

12 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

And yeah, go 4 - 4 then if you're still playing Omaha probably a 3 - 2 to end it off on 19 points

But which skills in what order?

[ADRIA]
Players
4,822 posts
6,919 battles
4 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

:Smile_facepalm: Yes, they are... I should have thought of that earlier. Still, the wiki gives 5 skills a 2 star rating on row 2. Which one should I take instead of EM? AR? (and why does the wiki give a 2 star rating to EM for the Omaha?)

Wikis recommended builds can be hilariously wrong. That, and the 2 turrets you have may be why EM is recommended

AR seems to be the obvious go-to skill, I don't remember how her engine and rudder hold up - if they'd justify LS or no. You do get a hydro (right?) so I guess JoaT would technically have some use aswell

6 minutes ago, Zigiran said:

But which skills in what order?

For the 4s I'd go with IFHE and CE, whichever you feel like you need more. Probably IFHE 1st

Apart from that... when I played Omaha most ships we have today weren't even introduced :Smile_trollface: At 3 points... Well Superintended for extra Hydro, but I'm not sure if that's worth it. Maybe Vigilance to make Hydro better? DE you already have, that's probably the best one you can get there

[SM0KE]
Players
2,606 posts
6,459 battles
4 hours ago, Zigiran said:

Which of these 2 should I pick first and what would you advice I should go for next?

In the past, the usual advice would always be to go for CE first, followed by IFHE; if planes stay very prevalent in the meta (plus, as CE has been reduced to 10% for all classes), you could make a pretty good case for reversing the order. I think I have a couple of cruiser captains where I've done exactly that, although to provide context, most of my cruiser games tend to be in Ops or Coop, where CE matters rather less much of the time.

After that, AR is very useful on anything that shoots a lot and gets damaged a lot...

[SSA]
Players
686 posts
16,819 battles

I'd say CE v. IFHE depends on your play style.

As you probably noticed the Omaha likes to explode if anyone looks at it funny, so survival should from my perspective be the priority here.

So i'd recommend CE if you like to play a bit more aggressive or in open water because it's invaluable in getting in and out when you need to.

If you're more adept at using cover and tend to shoot from stealth for most of the time take IFHE first.

Same goes if you just shoot from open water/2nd row all the time and don't care about sneaking up or disengaging, giving CE no chance to shine.

18 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I don't remember how her engine and rudder hold up

Not really tanky, but then again the whole ship tends to explode at the same time as the engine, so it's not much of a concern.

Only problem could be rudder if you're caught out but in those cases usually she can either go stealth or just melts with or without rudder.

Then again due to the lack of additional universally useful skills for her i'd still consider LS a valid option for the last 5 points.

[edited: clarification]

*bias warning, i last played her just before the release of the USN CLs, so my recommendations based on the old meta might be a bit/way off.

• Cool 1

[ICYOU]
Players
52 posts
1,046 battles

Thanks for all the tips.

I decided to go IFHE first, then grap last stand.

When the next round of free captain resets arive, I will remove EM and go for CE.

I figure there is no use in spending doubloons on a reset now when it will be free soon and I might as well spent those points from lvl 11 to 14 in the meantime instead of saving them for CE.

[SSA]
Players
686 posts
16,819 battles
4 hours ago, Zigiran said:

then grap last stand. 

No Adrenaline Rush ?

That skill is worth it's weight in gold.

[ICYOU]
Players
52 posts
1,046 battles
6 minutes ago, rnat said:

No Adrenaline Rush ?

That skill is worth it's weight in gold.

Uhm, sorry, I ment AR, not LS.

I should not post in the early morning while still sleeping... :Smile_facepalm:

Sign in to follow this