You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
__Helmut_Kohl__

PSA: Wichita in shop today, but nerfed version

186 comments in this topic

[-TPF-]
Players
3,388 posts
14,127 battles
40 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

WG even pissed off LittleWhiteMouse:

Well.... what she says in the review is that the Wichita was balanced around the 0.7.9 meta, and now that no longer applies. WG can't really win on that front - if they'd rushed it out before 0.8.0 hit there would be grumblings about selling premium ships which are about to be nerfed by the CV rework, they put it out now and it's been balanced against a game meta which  has changed and is constantly shifting. Not really a must buy. Really they should be spending their time on modelling Tsarevich or a similar ship which will never see a CV or radar....

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,118 posts
3,334 battles
2 hours ago, Varian_Dorn said:

So, MrConway does still read this. @MrConway what about the ALASKA? What's the ETA on the one ship that people, as far as I know, are interested in the MOST right now (and have been for a while)? Why release Wichita before Alaska?

Oh, and get this to your higher ups: I strongly disapprove of re-tiering a premium ship. Stop the plans you have for the Guilio Cesare. Adjust a stat or two, if you must. But if you re-tier the ship at least implement an option for owners to refund the vessel for a full return on doubloons.

Guys, Alaska will come when she comes - there is really nothing else I can say.

43 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

@MrConway can you share why the radar will stay at 9.0 (9.5 concealment) next patch, while Baltimore will get 10.0 radar (9.9 concealment):

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/flooding-and-radar-changes/ 

Wichita already has worse shells and AA than Balti. 

Now Balti will be able to radar at concealment while Wichita will be outspotted by DDs.

Why is the radar not being extended to 9.5 (would be unified with Missouri then) ?

The shells are not flat-out worse, just different. And Wichita has superior concealment and mobility so there have to be some trade-offs.

As with everything, balance is the main consideration for these differences.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[FIFO]
[FIFO]
Beta Tester
2,451 posts
7,258 battles
7 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

Well.... what she says in the review is that the Wichita was balanced around the 0.7.9 meta, and now that no longer applies. WG can't really win on that front - if they'd rushed it out before 0.8.0 hit there would be grumblings about selling premium ships which are about to be nerfed by the CV rework, they put it out now and it's been balanced against a game meta which  has changed and is constantly shifting. Not really a must buy. Really they should be spending their time on modelling Tsarevich or a similar ship which will never see a CV or radar....

I don't think this Witchita would have looked an attractive buy in 0.7.9.

Beta Tester
3,020 posts
12,612 battles
15 minutes ago, MrConway said:

The shells are not flat-out worse, just different. 

As usual, I appreciate your community work, even though I disagree with the decisions that certain live producers are making, and that have lowered my interest in Random Battles. 

The T7 shells are flat out worse in my opinion. Difference in flight-time and impact angle is so small, that it can never compensate for the loss in damage and penetration. 

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
1,785 posts
12,525 battles
10 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

As usual, I appreciate your community work, even though I disagree with the decisions that certain live producers are making, and that have lowered my interest in Random Battles. 

The T7 shells are flat out worse in my opinion. Difference in flight-time and impact angle is so small, that it can never compensate for the loss in damage and penetration. 

He probably already knows this and agrees with you but is contractually obliged to keep putting out this kind of PR fluff. I bet he has a script blu-tacked to the side of his monitor of things he has to say.

I know it's PR fluff, you know it's PR fluff, he knows it's PR fluff - but it's his job. Let's face it, even people with zero integrity have to earn a crust.

• Cool 2

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
3 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

He probably already knows this and agrees with you but is contractually obliged to keep putting out this kind of PR fluff. I bet he has a script blu-tacked to the side of his monitor of things he has to say.

I know it's PR fluff, you know it's PR fluff, he knows it's PR fluff - but it's his job. Let's face it, even people with zero integrity have to earn a crust.

whelp... I can personally attest that there was no such list taped to his monitor when we visited them in Prague last August... although you can of course suspect he might have just hidden it away somewhere :Smile_trollface:

[-TPF-]
Players
3,388 posts
14,127 battles
59 minutes ago, ilhilh said:

I don't think this Witchita would have looked an attractive buy in 0.7.9.

Mmm. The problem it has is that the old Tier VIII New Orleans stank the place out so any change which makes it resemble that is pretty much going to be unpopular. 

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,743 battles

Giys the reasons why Alaska is not being sold is pretty obvious :

1) wg want some other free exp sink before it ( rn cv) so the  hame doesn't  become world of alaska and so someone short on free exp will buy it with money ( either direclty from the premium shop jean bart 2.0) or by converting free exp with doubloons

2) alaska if released right now, would be flat out the best ship for ranked as it is the 2.0 version of the most versatile ship for ranked right now: the buffalo

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,930 posts
8,194 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

The shells are not flat-out worse, just different. And Wichita has superior concealment and mobility so there have to be some trade-offs.

While I can see velocity is an advantage for the tier 7 shells, it really is a major weakness as it doesnt let Wichita fire over islands that well on shorter ranges. On long range the old and new shells has about the same time to target anyway so its completely irrelevant at 15+ km range.

Theeeen you factor in worse pen (which is more important for cruisers than any other ship type) and about 8% less damage per shell... at that point one is objectively better, different yes but the cons outweigh the one pro it "debatably" has by an order of magnitude.

Still, kinda wondering what happened to this camo:

imageproxy.png.2bf1913228ec60fb9e3c44db2

Will prolly be sold for doubloons in the arsenal at some point me guesses

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,118 posts
3,334 battles
3 hours ago, FallenOrchid said:

It should be around five-six weeks from now (0.8.1 is already on PTS).

But having another week of free respec with 0.8.1 would be nice...

The timeframe is correct, but I don't know if we can do another respec - we'll look into it.

2 hours ago, anunnak said:

Surely this must be a mistake, please if someone from WG can confirm this if this is a mistake or not. I'm interested in the ship, 0.84 cents reduced price, must be a mistake surely. @MrConway

The price was adjusted slightly to better work with some popular pre-paid options, we don't usually do discounts for first releases of "naked" premium ships.

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,930 posts
8,194 battles
6 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Little White mouse has reviewed the current version here:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/183322-premium-ship-review-118-wichita/

Her assessment: MEHBOTE

I have it can confirm. Its okay, but tobad shes completely overshadowed by Cleveland and Baltimore that both do her flavor way better and with the tier 8 MM looming over its not very attractive.

[PINUT]
Players
923 posts
13,921 battles
Vor 5 Stunden, T0byJug sagte:

Any one that bought santa boxes on

the 0.000000001 chance of getting one of the removed OP ships is a Fool of the highest proportions.

Call me fool then, didn't bought kutu back when she was available, cause I already had Belfast... 2017 Santa boxes and I now own both kami and Gremy. 2018 I spend my tip from a very generous guest (side job as a waiter) on my last work day before Christmas on boxes (only aiming for t7-8 ships like Roma, ashitaka) and got the mighty Russian emperor on top of everything else I draw. 

So those fools may be few, but they exist. On the other hand I wouldn't have bought those crates just because of a ranked inferiority complex. 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,013 posts
18,709 battles
3 hours ago, Aragathor said:

With the rate of fXP acquisition I'll be able to keep enough for Alaska and speed up several grinds. I already spent around 300k since Christmas...

Tell me about it... im just short of 4 million free xp....:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,198 posts
18,053 battles
3 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

Tell me about it... im just short of 4 million free xp....:Smile_hiding:

We need a fXP arsenal section...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
5,013 posts
18,709 battles
9 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

We need a fXP arsenal section...

I want a clan bank for such stuff.... we have amazing players in scrubs but they just dont have the ships we need them to have.... the day we have a bank 1 million would be deposited

• Cool 1

[PC]
Players
374 posts
1 hour ago, T0byJug said:

I want a clan bank for such stuff.... we have amazing players in scrubs but they just dont have the ships we need them to have.... the day we have a bank 1 million would be deposited

They need to play more and grind the ships then.

[PC]
Players
374 posts
2 hours ago, Affeks said:

I have it can confirm. Its okay, but tobad shes completely overshadowed by Cleveland and Baltimore that both do her flavor way better and with the tier 8 MM looming over its not very attractive.

We don't want another GC, do we? Wichita sounds under powered compared to its peers, so it should be safe from a future adjustment. I'm glad it is worse than the two 'free' USN cruisers at tier 8. I have all I need and I don't need this one.

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,930 posts
8,194 battles
1 minute ago, Gudgeon said:

We don't want another GC, do we? Wichita sounds under powered compared to its peers, so it should safe from a future adjustment. I'm glad it is worse than the two 'free' USN cruisers at tier 8. I have all I need and I don't need this one.

thats not what Im implying that it should be better than those two, only that it should have "something" that it brings to the table. Lets say it traded the radar for Heal? 

There is a very big difference between a strong premium like GC or a strong premium like Loyang or Prinz Eugen.

I wouldnt mind premiums that are weak at launch if it means they will be adjusted later... but it usually takes WG over a year before that happens. Like Dunkerque and Kii didnt get buffed untill very recently.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,732 posts
10,475 battles
3 minutes ago, Affeks said:

I wouldnt mind premiums that are weak at launch if it means they will be adjusted later... but it usually takes WG over a year before that happens. Like Dunkerque and Kii didnt get buffed untill very recently.

Such a ship does not appeal to be good for WG sales and I don't mean that it has to be OP to sell.  Maybe, later after it gets a buff but the that would, probably, mean less sales.

At least at the moment this ship doesn't look like they want to nerf it after a long time.

[K2NGS]
Players
30 posts
4,353 battles

If balance means nerfing ships you are selling then I cant find a reason to buy anything again. My Giulio Cesare tells me not to trust you.

• Cool 6

[IDDQD]
Players
406 posts
11,540 battles
4 hours ago, BrusilovX said:

Such a ship does not appeal to be good for WG sales and I don't mean that it has to be OP to sell.  Maybe, later after it gets a buff but the that would, probably, mean less sales.

At least at the moment this ship doesn't look like they want to nerf it after a long time.

OP sells the best. That's how it works in F2P games, that's how human thinking work. But it creates long term balance problems.

If new ships arent OP, they must be unique enough to appeal to potential buyers - and Wichita does not, so its a ship for collectors and completely forgettable.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
5,083 posts
22,068 battles

Its not human thinking its what you get for the money, why would you buy something that doesnt give you neither different playing experience (unless you want to count worse as different) nor any kind of advantage if you have a free alternative? Collection? Ok yes for some people and ships but in general it wont sell much

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,198 posts
18,053 battles

I think WG missed the point of a premium ship with Wichita. It's not equal to Baltimore, which makes it a subpar trainer. It's not unique in playstyle, as it offers nothing special to the player. What it is, is New Orleans at T8 with worse overall stats than Baltimore. Even Indianapolis offers something extra in the form of radar at T7 with the same range as T8+ USN cruisers, while Wichita's radar is gimped with 9km range.

• Cool 3

Players
197 posts
13 hours ago, Thrapsalo said:

If balance means nerfing ships you are selling then I cant find a reason to buy anything again. My Giulio Cesare tells me not to trust you.

This,, why pay REAL Money only to have them change the deal later? 

If they change the deal, they should offer "cash" refunds, not doubloons.

It's like buying a BMW and getting a Skoda

No more I have quite a few premium ships, most I rarely play. My 2 favorite ships that I play the most are Lightning (I have Cossack but prefer Lightning), Jutland and Des Moines, thus no real incentive for me to but premium ships.

So why the hell would I buy an inferior ship that offers no difference in game-play and knowing that WG will bait and switch later anyway? Not a good business model to encourage my cash-flow lol