Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
black_falcon120

What is the easiest way to farm planes?

44 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
494 posts
1,931 battles

I am preparing for the uk cv grind, but all the missions involve shooting down aircraft, but I struggle to do this since the rework does anyone have any tips? I’ve failed in the Seattle and the Baltimore.  Some ships I have but havent tried are the PEF, (stock) Colorado, sims and the emerald.

[TTT]
Players
4,108 posts
7,842 battles

"farming" it doesnt really work in randoms because it's up to the CV where he goes, and then whether he flies into your AA...

I mean, I guess if you really want to "farm" it you could take a BB with mediocre AA (so you dont scare them off but still kill something) and make a point of going off on your own whenever there's a CV in the match, make yourself as inviting a target as possible. Your results are probably going to suck, but you'd probably get a few planes at least...^^

[I401]
Beta Tester
1,091 posts
8,476 battles

1. Choose Kidd

2. At the beginning state in chat that you slept with the mother of the CV player

3. ???

4. Profit!

• Funny 11

Beta Tester
494 posts
1,931 battles
21 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

"farming" it doesnt really work in randoms because it's up to the CV where he goes, and then whether he flies into your AA...

I mean, I guess if you really want to "farm" it you could take a BB with mediocre AA (so you dont scare them off but still kill something) and make a point of going off on your own whenever there's a CV in the match, make yourself as inviting a target as possible. Your results are probably going to suck, but you'd probably get a few planes at least...^^

Ah but that’ll still take 20 games to get 66 plane kills + games with no CVs....

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,904 posts
5,794 battles

Play CV (guarantees enemy CV)

Park CV somewhere forward instead of the usual back line

Position yourself behind a landmass big enough that you wont get shot by ships

Watch as derpy enemy CV throw planes at you trying to "snipe" you.

• Cool 1

[OGHF]
Players
673 posts
11,797 battles

What is the easiest way to farm planes?

Plow symetrical furrows 1 mtr width and 500mm high, plant your plane seeds 1  mtr apart, water and harvest after 3 months :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,357 posts
11,267 battles

My suggestion?

Play a CV. CV matches usually mean plane kills, because...

1. You drop fighters on opponent's fighters (or he on yours) and then at least one of you is going to get kills.

2. You are often one of the last guys alive AND you tend to have good AA, so the enemy is likely to attack you then and lose some planes.

3. Even earlier in the match some CV players tend to attack enemy CVs.

4. If you manage to hide behind the same mountain behind which some of your BBs camp (they do it more than island-hugging HE lobbers!) you can use your AA (and even ship-based fighters) to shoot down something from the enemy trying to attack them.

5. You have a guarantee that there will always be CVs in the enemy team, so at the very least there's no risk of "empty matches".

Now, on the flip side - it's rare to rack up A LOT of plane kills because you have good AA and are resistant to DoT, so you're not a very inviting target. It's rare to see a dedicated CV sniper kind enough to throw wave after wave of planes at you.

Players
774 posts
4,773 battles

The fighter consumable of CV not nescesarely gives you many airkills, you would better use an AA cruiser and be near caps ( using allied DD as bait ) from island cover or smoke.

Enemy CV trying to kill your CV do rack up air kills....CV AA must be one of the most powerful AA any ship has.....but CV players that know this probably not waste their airccraft on that unelss your the last ship alive.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,612 posts
6,459 battles
38 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

I am preparing for the uk cv grind, but all the missions involve shooting down aircraft, but I struggle to do this since the rework does anyone have any tips? I’ve failed in the Seattle and the Baltimore.  Some ships I have but havent tried are the PEF, (stock) Colorado, sims and the emerald.

First, I think you can do most of the directives without having to do the shooting down planes thing (although I haven't double checked the future ones, and I do have the PA premiums which are needed to do one of the alternatives, so far anyway).

If you have the patience, your Sims might be worth a punt (although I haven't played mine since the very latest hotfix): with the AA module, AA signal, and a BFT captain, plus premium Def AA, you can usually knock a few planes down. That was essentially the build I was using anyway for Dynamo, so it didn't need any adjustment for me.

In terms of play style, keep islands between you and the enemy ships (they'll be the ones that kill you when the aircraft spot you); leave your AA off (p key is the toggle); activate Def AA when the first planes spot you and leave it on until they've gone/exploded; deactivate AA, and repeat.

Premium Def AA cools down faster, plus gives you an extra charge.

Be prepared to run away to the cover of your allied AA cruisers etc. if the CV really tries to kill you, and don't forget about proper DD duties entirely - you still want to win, after all. Essentially, your aim is to try and get the CV to attack you whilst his concurrent spotting won't get you shot at by his allies and whilst you have Def AA to activate. Not activating Def AA (or AA in general) until he spots you means that the planes take longer to get out of your AA bubble, so you may kill more.

To be fair, you'd be far better off trying the 'shoot down' objectives in a proper AA cruiser (say) or US BB, or even higher tier US DDs, but you can do a lot worse than Sims - 4-6 plane kills per random battle with CVs should be achievable; it's not heroic, but it'll get you the mission eventually. My record plane kills with a DD is currently in the mid-twenties (I think), but that was with Kidd, and fighting against a T6 + T8 CV at the same time.

Beta Tester
494 posts
1,931 battles
10 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Play CV (guarantees enemy CV)

Park CV somewhere forward instead of the usual back line

Position yourself behind a landmass big enough that you wont get shot by ships

Watch as derpy enemy CV throw planes at you trying to "snipe" you.

This is what I've been trying to do, but most people know that CVs AA is very powerful now... 

5 minutes ago, eliastion said:

My suggestion?

Play a CV. CV matches usually mean plane kills, because...

1. You drop fighters on opponent's fighters (or he on yours) and then at least one of you is going to get kills.

2. You are often one of the last guys alive AND you tend to have good AA, so the enemy is likely to attack you then and lose some planes.

3. Even earlier in the match some CV players tend to attack enemy CVs.

4. If you manage to hide behind the same mountain behind which some of your BBs camp (they do it more than island-hugging HE lobbers!) you can use your AA (and even ship-based fighters) to shoot down something from the enemy trying to attack them.

5. You have a guarantee that there will always be CVs in the enemy team, so at the very least there's no risk of "empty matches".

Now, on the flip side - it's rare to rack up A LOT of plane kills because you have good AA and are resistant to DoT, so you're not a very inviting target. It's rare to see a dedicated CV sniper kind enough to throw wave after wave of planes at you.

Hmm, I rarely use the fighter consumable, as it doesn't net many plan kills because it's too easy to avoid at t6. 

1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

The fighter consumable of CV not nescesarely gives you many airkills, you would better use an AA cruiser and be near caps ( using allied DD as bait ) from island cover or smoke.

Enemy CV trying to kill your CV do rack up air kills....CV AA must be one of the most powerful AA any ship has.....but CV players that know this probably not waste their airccraft on that unelss your the last ship alive.

Which one would you recommend? 

Players
774 posts
4,773 battles
Just now, black_falcon120 said:

Which one would you recommend? 

I'm on these missions too, will probably use an AA spec cruiser for it.

Either support a BB that goes offensive or a capping DD. Either will attract planes.

Beta Tester
494 posts
1,931 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

I'm on these missions too, will probably use an AA spec cruiser for it.

Either support a BB that goes offensive or a capping DD. Either will attract planes.

I have a Seattle, a Cleveland (elited) or a Baltimore? 

Beta Tester
494 posts
1,931 battles
2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Hey @black_falcon120 - if you see me online, ping me; I'm happy to play 'plane bait' for you, if you like...

Thank you! 

I'm not really concerned about right now, but I'm interested in the UK CV grind which I think is starting very soon... 

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Players
360 posts
5,213 battles
14 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

I heard its aa got nerfed hard, is it still good for plane farming?

I got 17 planes in a 2 carrier/side game earlier today,  11p captain with bft and the AA module upgrade

I know it aint astronomical but I didnt even bother to sector reinforce most of the time

Players
120 posts
6,280 battles
4 hours ago, black_falcon120 said:

Sims is probably the best bet, but taking any mid tier CL with DfAA and a catapult fighter into a Division with a friend playing CV will probably work. 

I got a good 17 plane kills in a match in my Aoba. (Not specced for AA, but I used the sectors as needed against a T6 CV) T8 might have been more difficult. 

Beta Tester
494 posts
1,931 battles
23 minutes ago, Ronchabale said:

I got 17 planes in a 2 carrier/side game earlier today,  11p captain with bft and the AA module upgrade

I know it aint astronomical but I didnt even bother to sector reinforce most of the time

Sounds good!

11 minutes ago, Captain_KriegWurst said:

Sims is probably the best bet, but taking any mid tier CL with DfAA and a catapult fighter into a Division with a friend playing CV will probably work. 

I got a good 17 plane kills in a match in my Aoba. (Not specced for AA, but I used the sectors as needed against a T6 CV) T8 might have been more difficult. 

Ah ok, thank you this makes sense.

Beta Tester
944 posts
9,327 battles

The tier 5 IJN DD Mutsuki is a wolf in sheep's clothing. It has better AA than most other ships at her tier. With an AA spec'ed commander, I regularly take down between 15-40 planes per game. 180% reinforcement on a 4 second response. Most CV captains think IJN DD all alone? They have terrible AA, I'll attack. Whilst most do, her multiple AA mounts reach out to 5.8km with an 88% hit probability.

• Cool 2

[-RM-]
Players
360 posts
5,213 battles
5 minutes ago, black_falcon120 said:

Sounds good!

Ah ok, thank you this makes sense.

Yeah Sims is good Kidd too

The 17 planes I mentioned earlier was in the texas

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,048 posts
5,831 battles

Prior to the hotfix I managd 24 planes shot down in a battle.  I messed up the Defensive AA a few times and on the replay I ca see that I did not set the AA sectors very well  Mind you in that battle the T6 IJN CV deiced they were going to mess with my battle and continually attacked me.   I was almost constant spotted and was having to avoid enemy fire.  I did manage to fire a set of torps but never got in a position to fire my guns.

After the hotfix I mananged 41 kills in my Amagi

Spoiler

n35d6s.png

But there are battles with no CVs and it's up to them to decide who is the target for that battle.

Players
74 posts
7,884 battles

Yūbari is also pretty good in planes farming. The short range aa is extremely deadly with def aa. And because nearly every tir 4 mach have 2 CVs per site samone will most likely try to drop you. It also helps to try to stay alive since the CVs are running out of good targets in the late game. And since you nearly as fast as a dd, have one of the best arucitys (special upgrade) and good range you can kite very easily as well. An arave of 10 Plains per game is not that difficult.

Beta Tester
494 posts
1,931 battles
9 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

Prior to the hotfix I managd 24 planes shot down in a battle.  I messed up the Defensive AA a few times and on the replay I ca see that I did not set the AA sectors very well  Mind you in that battle the T6 IJN CV deiced they were going to mess with my battle and continually attacked me.   I was almost constant spotted and was having to avoid enemy fire.  I did manage to fire a set of torps but never got in a position to fire my guns.

After the hotfix I mananged 41 kills in my Amagi

Reveal hidden contents

But there are battles with no CVs and it's up to them to decide who is the target for that battle.

sadly i dont have jap crusiers...

14 minutes ago, SirAmra said:

Play tier 6 CL. Racked up alot of planes in the Dallas.

I'll try that!

1 minute ago, Themisto97 said:

Yūbari is also pretty good in planes farming. The short range aa is extremely deadly with def aa. And because nearly every tir 4 mach have 2 CVs per site samone will most likely try to drop you. It also helps to try to stay alive since the CVs are running out of good targets in the late game. And since you nearly as fast as a dd, have one of the best arucitys (special upgrade) and good range you can kite very easily as well. An arave of 10 Plains per game is not that difficult.

Unfortunately it's T4, so it doesn't count... It has to be t5 or higher.

Sign in to follow this