Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
That_Other_Nid

The case for rocket aircraft.

9 comments in this topic

Players
607 posts
7,343 battles

So the new CV format is here and everyone has their own view of how they are working and what should be done about balancing. 

It seems that WG's objective was to make CVs both easier to operate and still be unique. To this end the planes are very fast so transit isn't boring for the user. The most annoying aspect of this is the very early and regular spotting by CV planes and the fighter consumable. 

The second introduction was aircraft rockets. These were very late war and used against ships far less often than the game implies. They have replaced the fighter slot while the fighter role has been replaced by the fighter consumable. 

The solution

Halve the speed of DB and TBs, and remove the rockets from fighters. Eliminate the fighter consumable from CVs and reintroduce air to air combat with the DB and TB having significant air to air combat ability. For anyone who has read the "Big E" the early CVs would launch all of their DBs and TBs when the carrier was about to come under attack and these would contribute however they could to the air battle. Fighters will obviously be better at air to air combat so there is no incentive for a TB or DB to attack them, but it will give the CV player a more diverse role than currently when flying aircraft.

1/ Give fighters the ability to lock onto and attack other aircraft groups.

2/ Give the TB/DB rear gunner consumables to boost their defence while under attack. 

Edit. 3/ the slower speed will give the attacking aircraft give the CV player more incentive to stay and press their attacks since flying to the targets is significantly longer. The old larger airgroups would be an option here as again.

Basically the result should be that CVs will be slower into combat and spot significantly less but with the option of a fast roving fighter if they so wish. With multiple CVs per team they can allocate roles to different carriers.

Thoughts?

Edit. This is mostly for CV players or people who have at least experimented with the new CVs

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Beta Tester
742 posts
11,381 battles
1 hour ago, That_Other_Nid said:

It seems that WG's objective was to make CVs both easier to operate and still be unique.

Nope, it was made that way so it would be easyer for console players and nothing else.

Pretty much what old CVs needed was strafe adjustments and maybe a timer, at which the planes could be in air so that there would be no permanent spoting and repair party use exploit to cause permanent fires or floodings.

Those CVs could be countered and even be rendered useless by depleting all their reserves, also had pretty long preparation time if they chose the wrong targets and actually had to wait a significant amount of time till they could attack again.

This new gameplay is boring as hell, sold all my premium CVs as theres nothing special in them any more, all CVs are ctrl C/ctrl V gameplay.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,362 posts
11,276 battles
2 hours ago, That_Other_Nid said:

So the new CV format is here and everyone has their own view of how they are working and what should be done about balancing. 

It seems that WG's objective was to make CVs both easier to operate and still be unique. To this end the planes are very fast so transit isn't boring for the user. The most annoying aspect of this is the very early and regular spotting by CV planes and the fighter consumable. 

The second introduction was aircraft rockets. These were very late war and used against ships far less often than the game implies. They have replaced the fighter slot while the fighter role has been replaced by the fighter consumable. 

The solution

Halve the speed of DB and TBs, and remove the rockets from fighters. Eliminate the fighter consumable from CVs and reintroduce air to air combat with the DB and TB having significant air to air combat ability. For anyone who has read the "Big E" the early CVs would launch all of their DBs and TBs when the carrier was about to come under attack and these would contribute however they could to the air battle. Fighters will obviously be better at air to air combat so there is no incentive for a TB or DB to attack them, but it will give the CV player a more diverse role than currently when flying aircraft.

2/ Give the TB/DB rear gunner consumables to boost their defence while under attack. 

Edit. 3/ the slower speed will give the attacking aircraft give the CV player more incentive to stay and press their attacks since flying to the targets is significantly longer. The old larger airgroups would be an option here as again. 

Basically the result should be that CVs will be slower into combat and spot significantly less but with the option of a fast roving fighter if they so wish. With multiple CVs per team they can allocate roles to different carriers.

Thoughts?

Your solution brings back the disadvantages of the former system without its advantages. CV plays almost exclusively against the enemy CV, since fighters with twice the speed of bombers can deny any strikes, or at the very least repeated strikes. A CV has the choice to either fly around with fighters (scouting a bit but basically doing nothing interesting and only waiting to ruin the day of the other CV) or use the (painfully slow) bombers to send them on roundabout trips (making the low speed even more painful) to stealthily approach and quickly attack targets that happen to be far enough from the confirmed/expected position of fighters so that at least the first strike gets a chance. The alternative is, of course, when both sides launch with fighters - then you get CVs playing some gimped version of WoWp, disconnected from the rest of the match. And yes, I know that you mentioned giving bombers self-defense measures but it would either be basically useless against fighters or it would make playing the fighters even more pointless...

I could go pointing out more problems but, long story short: to me it seems like implementing your suggestions as described would simply create a system that's worse and less enjoyable than both the pre-rework and post-rework ones.

• Cool 4

Players
798 posts
4,813 battles

I would not mind rockets removed from fighters, but in return for them being changed roles to controllable air supriority i would have them also be able to machinegun strafe DD with 4x .50 or 6x .50. cal. or double 20 mm so they can be still somewhat dangerous to DD and aid in capping. MG and cannon would be able to rip DD up pretty nice too, probably do a bit less damage then explosive rockets unless they penetrate boilers or magazines.....then it should be BOOOOM.

In RTS i really missed that option for fighters.

But that guy from WG made clear enough they are not going to make such changes, only finetune damages.

• Cool 1

[-FF-]
Players
765 posts
5,688 battles
19 hours ago, That_Other_Nid said:

The solution

Thoughts?

Edit. This is mostly for CV players or people who have at least experimented with the new CVs

I currently don't see any good way of reintroducing air to air combat in the new gameplay.

I personnaly think the best option would just be to increase the dispersion of the rockets, so that it would hurt less the destroyers, and/or decrease the damage per rocket.

It's an easier way to proceed for WG. The kind of solution that you are describing is just unrealistic anyway, as it would be such a big change that it would require a lot of developing time (changing gameplay again), at the time where they're already working on AA balance extensively.

Players
3,032 posts
7,151 battles

Odd that the name of the topic is about rockets, but the suggested change is for all carrierborne aircraft.

I prefer to not change it back to a CV vs CV game of aerial chess, along with the problems this will inevitably bring.

And imo rocket planes are fine. It's the other planes that I found to be no fun anymore (I played tier6 and tier 8 CV before I threw in the towel and focus on DD for now).

[-FF-]
Players
765 posts
5,688 battles
2 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

And imo rocket planes are fine. It's the other planes that I found to be no fun anymore (I played tier6 and tier 8 CV before I threw in the towel and focus on DD for now).

I don't share that opinion. Rocket planes are too easy to use, it's too easy to aim, therefore it's a pain in the a** for DD players.

Players
798 posts
4,813 battles
51 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

I don't share that opinion. Rocket planes are too easy to use, it's too easy to aim, therefore it's a pain in the a** for DD players.

They are not that easy to aim for and hit if the skill of the DD player is high and he/she did all the right things to his/her DD for such as captain skills and ship upgrades.

I have encountered many DD players that outturn and then speed up in direction of my tight-as-possible-slowed-down-turning fighters and come up behind my reticule so i overshoot them and cannot fire. This isn't coincidence, it is DD player skill. I admire it. Some even use themsleves as bait doing this and have a hidden AA cruiser kill me while trying to hit them. There is no end to what smart players can do even after a patch some percieve as "game breaking"

• Cool 2

Players
97 posts
462 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, elblancogringo sagte:

I disagree, I have been grinding JPN CV and on Tier6 Rockets Planes are a pain in the [edited]to use. Their aim is so tight a DD player only has to move a pixel and you miss. not to mention the  damage is laughable. I have better chances to hit a DD with Torp or Bombs and if I hit with those a lot of DDs go boom. Tier 6 JPN are just a waste of time.

Sign in to follow this