Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fubucky

Fighters don't stop chasing down planes across the map

12 comments in this topic

[MIRAI]
Players
160 posts
8,017 battles

Hello there,

I'm having weird instances where shipborne fighters keep following my planes and they don't seem to stop until I get at least 11-12km away from them.

Is this supposed to be a feature or a bug?

Is anyone else having the same issue?

I've attached the replay file for those who are interested in. The moment happens quite early at 17:25 battle time.

https://replayswows.com/replay/42515#stats

Players
1,830 posts
10,289 battles

Those planes have a particular set of skills. Skills that make them a nightmare for people like you and I. Hence they'll chase u to the end of the earth.

Jokes aside yeah the fighters do chase my planes even outside the circle although im not sure if it 11-12 km. If you ask me i dont think they should be able to chase you that far.

• Funny 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,187 posts
14,440 battles

Fighters chase for 30 seconds afaik. Distance doesn't matter.

• Funny 2

Players
1,830 posts
10,289 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Fighters chase for 30 seconds afaik. Distance doesn't matter.

No wonder. I was under the impression that they were bound to the circle they spawned in or at most a fair distance away. I remember a game where the fighters chased my plane all the way to the map border from near the middle of the map.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,349 posts
11,263 battles

The fighters are a joke though. They hardly ever lock on but when they do, they chase you across the map. Why the hell couldn't WG have made it so that they had a "initial acquisition" circle, smaller than now - but where they would immediately acquire incoming enemy aircraft. Add to that better speed (so that they would be slowly gaining even on the fastest tier-equivalent planes using speedboost) and a "maximum chase circle" larger than the current "fighter circle" but not something as massive as the distances they cover now.

As an added measure they could "remember" they target and re-acquire it if it returns into the "maximum chase circle" to make it harder to abuse the system by going out briefly and returning with the follow-up attack.

There would be only benefits of that:

- the "initial acquisition circle" would be smaller but you'd really have to avoid it - right now we can fly freely through the fighter circles unless we really linger too long

- the "maximum chase circle" would make escaping the threat more viable: your planes would either be safe reasonably quickly... or dead - also reasonably quickly

- the fighters would actually have value as a defensive measure. Let's even have them toned down if that fast acquisition made them too powerful (less planes, less duration), but right now they are pretty worthless for a ship. And for a CV (the plane-dropped ones)... well, they ARE useful but I don't think that's for the right reasons. I mostly use them to put them around enemy DD to provide prolonged spotting (wasn't that something WG didn't want in the rework?) or on top of enemy fighters to remove THEIR spotting. They are just too unreliable to be of much use in helping allies - and for the same reason it's rare for me to feel much need to get rid of defensively dropped/shipborne ones (not to mention that they melt quickly in enemy AA if dropped close to an enemy ship, so I'm likely to still have to play around the enemy fighters even if I do drop mine).

[NFURS]
Beta Tester
64 posts
5,163 battles
4 hours ago, pra3y said:

Those planes have a particular set of skills. Skills that make them a nightmare for people like you and I. Hence they'll chase u to the end of the earth.

Jokes aside yeah the fighters do chase my planes even outside the circle although im not sure if it 11-12 km. If you ask me i dont think they should be able to chase you that far.

Actually fighters are useless at the moment. I constantly keep flying through their coverage circles and with proper set of captain skills you can actually outrun them so they do little to no damage at all. I don't mind if they'll chase you across the map if you get into their coverage zone, but they definitely need to be faster and their action time should be increased to be able to effectively take down bombers.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,187 posts
14,440 battles
33 minutes ago, eliastion said:

They hardly ever lock on

Fighter lock is also time dependent. I think you need to stay like ~8 seconds in the circle.

Note that catapult/CV fighters also have a circle although it is not shown on the minimap. Catapult/CV fighters also stay active even after their parent ship has been sunk.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
1,305 posts
14,648 battles

I drop fighters for spotting and so its a little harder for a cv to loiter over cap if my dd is going for cap, dont expect much from them really

[SCRUB]
Players
2,457 posts
7,854 battles

In their latest stream WG said they will try to improve those fighters, because at the moment they react too slowly.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,349 posts
11,263 battles
8 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Fighter lock is also time dependent. I think you need to stay like ~8 seconds in the circle.

Note that catapult/CV fighters also have a circle although it is not shown on the minimap. Catapult/CV fighters also stay active even after their parent ship has been sunk.

Are you sure this circle is not shown for ship-based fighters?

Anyway, the point is - I usually can strike my target and get away before fighters lock on to me. Making their role of deterring airstrikes somewhat... debatable. And then, if you do get locked on, shaking them off takes forever (if possible at all, depending on where the map border is, how much engine boost you have etc). It just doesn't seem like good mechanic the way it works now.

3 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

I drop fighters for spotting and so its a little harder for a cv to loiter over cap if my dd is going for cap, dont expect much from them really

And enemy CV drops their figters and they nullify each other since the losing fighters die and the winning fighters go back home satisfied by each getting a kill :Smile_teethhappy:

[JRM]
Players
1,305 posts
14,648 battles

Unless he already dropped them all or they are on cooldown :Smile_trollface:

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,187 posts
14,440 battles
1 minute ago, eliastion said:

Are you sure this circle is not shown for ship-based fighters?

Spoiler

s1l2Fez.jpg

Yup.

I can tell however that it is about, if not the same size as the normal CV consumable ones by judging the distance required for the AA icon to change into the fighter warning.

Note that the circle of my own fighters is oversized in the screenshot due to me playing Enterprise. Enterprise fighters have a larger patrol area and 6 fighters per squad, which makes them somewhat more viable at air denial but more importantly much better scouts.

7 minutes ago, eliastion said:

It just doesn't seem like good mechanic the way it works now.

No arguing there but personally I'd guess that this is intended to be so. In testing fighters were much more aggressive and powerful.

Sign in to follow this