You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Naval Battle: Clans Competition

59 comments in this topic

[T-N-T]
[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,409 posts
9,829 battles
40 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

When will the registration be up? Can't find it. 

In the article is this

The Naval Battle competition will be held every week without interruption starting on Monday, February 18, 2019.

So the registration start from monday.

Players
1,601 posts
11,648 battles

Once again, the bulletin appears to be not very well written or translated. I find it a bit confusing, especially because it's not really clear what is supposed to happen in the "Engagement" stage.

In any event, it was very exciting to read the phrase "‘Clan Battles’ format". As in, a small series of mini clan battles over the weekend. You know? With teams of seven duking it out like in clan battles. Exciting group experience with me mates instead of slogging through casual weekend players and reworked carriers.

But after wrestling with this bulletin here, it seems all this is going to be is a sort of chain of personal missions which, it turns out, you do have to do a) on your own and b) indeed amidst all the weekend warriors, in Random, Co-op, and Ranked Battles. The whole group activity shall consist of discussing who attempts to do what. Which they will then proceed to do each on their own. The clan will only meet in discord (if that) but not in battle.

I hope I got it all wrong, because if not, then it appears all that WG were thinking about was how to drive up the server population. Which would be disappointing.

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Players
6,997 posts
Vor 6 Minuten, Nautical_Metaphor sagte:

In any event, it was very exciting to read the phrase "‘Clan Battles’ format". As in, a small series of mini clan battles over the weekend. You know? With teams of seven duking it out like in clan battles. Exciting group experience with me mates instead of slogging through casual weekend players and reworked carriers. 

but it was clear that it will be very similar to the time limited special some time ago...

Vor 7 Minuten, Nautical_Metaphor sagte:

then it appears all that WG were thinking about was how to drive up the server population.

there were many requests to get the time limited special as continious event...

Beta Tester
2,550 posts
9,906 battles
28 minutes ago, Sigimundus said:

In the article is this

The Naval Battle competition will be held every week without interruption starting on Monday, February 18, 2019.

So the registration start from monday.

Not necessarily. 

The first preparation phase starts on Monday and the registration is usually in the week before. 

[WOWS]
Players
230 posts
12,848 battles

As a Clan leader i wold like to see on a seperate tab my clan members activity!
e.g. to tell someone to use the option, or to tell someone he do poorly in weeks, or in bad times, so he should not bother...

Also
b4ee563c-2f5a-11e9-ba5b-38eaa735f4cc_120

This picture tells me this will count as a personal progression.. ok, but the oil added to the clan-member's "account" (next to his name) or just to the clan's account?
What is the /1000000 at the bottom?

[META]
[META]
Players
89 posts
12,702 battles

if we are ever going to clanwar then i need more members .. please join metavoid :)

cheers!

[ROHAN]
Players
9 posts

This is over complicated and therefore annoying. Clan Wars is furthermore an unsexy format that glorifies camping tactics with synchronized radar. Being a happy go lucky clan that uses text and a mixed fleet is pretty much a no no. The whole clan thing needs to move in a different direction.

• Cool 4

[PUPSI]
Players
6,997 posts
Vor 12 Stunden, ledgeri sagte:

I guess it is the personal limit. One the live server it would be something like for example 1600/3000, meaning you have collected 1600 of the maximum 3000 you can contribute.

Vor 9 Stunden, Peter_Snowmane sagte:

Clan Wars is furthermore an unsexy format that glorifies camping tactics with synchronized radar. Being a happy go lucky clan that uses text and a mixed fleet is pretty much a no no.

not related to this event at all :fish_sleep:

unfortunately with this event WG shows "weekend players" (not regarding skill, but with a real life that allows them to play only/mainly on weekends) that they are not welcomed...such players will now become a burden to their clan...

• Cool 2

[S-M-V]
[S-M-V]
Players
17 posts
7,582 battles

Did you ever read some article on internet but that is not your language.  For instance, I am from Croatia, and that happens to me when I see something on Chinese.... 

And this article is like on Chinese for me... 

I mean, I had to read some things 2 times to understand them... idk...

[BYOB]
Players
3,506 posts
12,887 battles
2 hours ago, Klopirat said:

unfortunately with this event WG shows "weekend players" (not regarding skill, but with a real life that allows them to play only/mainly on weekends) that they are not welcomed...such players will now become a burden to their clan...

Not necessarily a burden, but the majority of work will be done by those who play weekdays. Seeing how detached from the reality of their player base and game WG is, I'm surprised they haven't excluded weekend players outright.

Needing a complicated qualifying system in the first place, already shows how contemptuous WG is of smaller clans and casual players, a clear sign they have it too good.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
650 posts
6,948 battles

The concept looks complicated at first, but if you chew on it a little it becomes clearer.

My major point is that no matter how it is advertised, this concept is all about pushing players to play more. This is OK as long as the clan is organized in a friendly way in a sense that members appreciate each other both in game and their real life duties. It seems to me that for performance based and motivated clans this event will be a huge stress for the members who cannot play consistently throughout the week - now the "push to play more" will not only come from WG in a form of mission rewards, but also from teammates demanding more on-line time in order for the clan to win oil.

This is tough - friendships will be measured in strength and humanity.

As for the concept itself the main pitfall for me is the concept of "attempts" in the Engagement phase. This is because certain type of objectives (for example the BaseXP one that was used in the article to demonstrate the mechanic) are dependent on winning or loosing the game, that is not necessarily depending on the individual player's efforts especially in RANDOM.

I expect to see more clan divisions in RANDOM to increase chances for good performance and if it is take to the extreme it will turn RANDOM into a clan divisions vs. clan divisions match at high Tiers... Will this be good for the average Joe and the meta? who knows...

My conclusion is that this is not a true Clan concept, more using (rather say abusing) the Clan system to push players into more on-line time through their own friend's pressure.

Disappointed.

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Players
6,997 posts
Vor 1 Minute, Aragathor sagte:

Not necessarily a burden, but the majority of work will be done by those who play weekdays.

More clan members =>  more BaseXP needed to qualify. But since there is a limit in XP every player can contribute, it might be impossible for clans with a high fraction of "weekend players" to reach the needed XP, even if all "non weekend players" get "their" maximum XP

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,650 posts
2,443 battles
22 hours ago, DuneDreamer said:

What about steel? I'm more interested in it. I have no use for the oil.

Play ranked? ;)

21 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

When will the registration be up? Can't find it. 

As the article states, "The Naval Battle competition will be held every week without interruption starting on Monday, February 18, 2019."

20 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Once again, the bulletin appears to be not very well written or translated. I find it a bit confusing, especially because it's not really clear what is supposed to happen in the "Engagement" stage.

But after wrestling with this bulletin here, it seems all this is going to be is a sort of chain of personal missions which, it turns out, you do have to do a) on your own and b) indeed amidst all the weekend warriors, in Random, Co-op, and Ranked Battles. The whole group activity shall consist of discussing who attempts to do what. Which they will then proceed to do each on their own. The clan will only meet in discord (if that) but not in battle.

I hope I got it all wrong, because if not, then it appears all that WG were thinking about was how to drive up the server population. Which would be disappointing.

I agree that the clan battles aspect is confusing, we'll look into rewording it.

And while players compete individually, you can of course division up and work together to get the maximum amount of stars by assigning players to try certain ship classes and nations.

This format is a continuation of the event we held last year, which was overall quite well liked.

Clan battles will be back, don't worry.

19 hours ago, ledgeri said:

As a Clan leader i wold like to see on a seperate tab my clan members activity!
e.g. to tell someone to use the option, or to tell someone he do poorly in weeks, or in bad times, so he should not bother...

Also
b4ee563c-2f5a-11e9-ba5b-38eaa735f4cc_120

This picture tells me this will count as a personal progression.. ok, but the oil added to the clan-member's "account" (next to his name) or just to the clan's account?

That is a valid point of feedback, I'll pass it on.

The /1000000 at the bottom is the maximum XP each player can contribute to the overall goal, obviously a placeholder number in this case, it will be 20,000 XP in the first iteration of the naval battles.

16 hours ago, Peter_Snowmane said:

This is over complicated and therefore annoying. Clan Wars is furthermore an unsexy format that glorifies camping tactics with synchronized radar. Being a happy go lucky clan that uses text and a mixed fleet is pretty much a no no. The whole clan thing needs to move in a different direction.

This is a format for random battles.

• Cool 1

Players
499 posts
12,305 battles
4 minutes ago, MrConway said:

Play ranked? ;)

I'm already rank one and WG no longer allow me to play. :(

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,650 posts
2,443 battles
4 hours ago, Klopirat said:

More clan members =>  more BaseXP needed to qualify. But since there is a limit in XP every player can contribute, it might be impossible for clans with a high fraction of "weekend players" to reach the needed XP, even if all "non weekend players" get "their" maximum XP

This is a valid concern, but I just looked at the numbers and considering that each player can contribute 20,000 XP to the total needed XP this should not be a problem for the vast majority of clans, as long as the active players contribute a decent amount.

[A-TOM]
Beta Tester
77 posts
6,098 battles

Concerning the Preparation phase:

It can be completed from Monday till Thursday in battles of any type, except for Training Battles.

This text suggests, that Scenarios will be counted also. Yet on the picture above it we see:

Completed in Random, Co-op, and Ranked Battles.

So, what is the truth? Will Scenarions count or not? If not, then why? If Co-op works, then why not Scenarios?

[WOWS]
Players
230 posts
12,848 battles
13 hours ago, MrConway said:

That is a valid point of feedback, I'll pass it on.

Just realized when i re-read the thing: when it was in beta form, there was an activity meter about each player, who played one battle...

Players
70 posts
24,559 battles

There are two minor objections that have already been expressed: (i) this is simply a game mode to encourage more play rather than really more good team play; and (ii) it is too complex and probably not well enough articulated. But these are minor points and as mr Conway said they will see to improving the text (though I should note that this time around the text is far better than the truly poor text of the original trial event last year). That said, as a Deputy Commander in my relatively active clan I can welcome any rewards offered. The main reason I may not perhaps push for the clan members to spend time on this is that to be efficient we would need to coordinate who plays what ships/classes and that adds to the various coordination and other activities a clan faces in training new members and in preparing/training to clan battles. So when I can get 15 clan members at the same time I can organise which ships to take to play random battles for these events OR take them in a training room and e.g. fight Stalingrads with Henris and learn from it, but unlikely to be doing both. I just don't think it is productive to mix to this extent clan rewards through a random format, since it ultimately conflicts with whaty clans focus in discord which is the preparation and training for clan rewards and that clans see division play as fun time outside the central clan organisation. As a player I really don't want my Random division play to be organised/driven/regimentalised by Clan and as a Deputy Commander I don't think it would be good idea to encourage clan members in this direction. There is one more thing to say: at a personal level I have probably invested more time than most (by far) in just about any reward related activity since the game started. On occasion my involvement has reached fanatical levels (e.g. to obtain kamikaze and its camo..). But this is the first time I have no interest whatsoever in a competitive/rewards event . I get it that the previous similar one-off event was deemed a success but I suspect that this appraisal probably reflects selection bias: it is those that chose to participate in the first place that found it good; by definition those that were not keen did not participate and made no comments.  In the same way perhaps that CV rework selected beta testing by CV players came back with enthusiastic response before the rework hit the real world of the general population... 

• Cool 1

Players
3,064 posts
13,729 battles
On 2/14/2019 at 8:45 AM, it3llig3nc3 said:

My major point is that no matter how it is advertised, this concept is all about pushing players to play more.

I could comment on the whole post (which was very good) but I will restrict myself to just this point.:Smile_honoring:

I do not blame Wargaming for trying to get people to play more - there are many arguments in favour of it. However it is a "double edged sword".

Like many players I felt very burnt out by all the event grinds in the last six months of 2018. (Yes, I know you don't have to do them - but it is easy to get caught up in them)

Then in January I went on holiday and did some thinking. I was seriously thinking of quitting. I realised that when I play too much I get tired and make mistakes and get frustrated. (As in "Smash the keyboard against the wall" frustrated)

Since I resumed playing after my holiday  I made it a rule to stop when I feel tired. So I play a lot less..... BUT I ENJOY IT.

I've not needed to buy a new keyboard in 2019 yet!:Smile_smile:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[R-U]
Players
129 posts
3,571 battles

@MrConway Few issues what cought my eye now that it is active ingame.
1) After signing up the clan for Naval Battles the port UI left hand menu straight away told me "You have used up all your attempts" or something similar. So it was bit of a wtf. moment as I just signed up our clan for it. Do not know if other members see the same thing, havent verified with them. Never the less I went into battle and did a test round and my results were counted in the clan contribution. But message remained there after the battle as well.
2) No where can you see how is the single player contribution is capped actually. How is your maximum contribution limited, at least I havent found it.

3) Naval Battle mission page tells you that your clan must reach X ammount of XP to finish this stage, how ever what actually is counted is base exp. Article mentioned as well it is base exp, but it would be nice if ingame it said as well that the mission is for base exp, to avoid confusion.

I believe someone one this thread already mentioned something similar, but it would be great if one could see each members contribution there as well separately listed. If not visible to all, then at least to commander and deps.

Otherwise keep up the great work!

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Players
46 posts
9,688 battles

2) No where can you see how is the single player contribution is capped actually. How is your maximum contribution limited, at least I havent found it.

its in naval battles under those earned xp oildrops, your contribution xx/20k.

about those oildrops when hover over them there is russian text , would be nice to have it in english.

Beta Tester
650 posts
6,948 battles

I hate to say this but again an evidence that even the DEVs are unable to use their own terminology properly.

The real QUALIFICATION criteria is to earn BaseXP,, but the screen says XP. 

I hope this is the only mistake in the concept...