You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

Why is the UI so laggy?

17 comments in this topic

[TEA]
Players
948 posts
4,218 battles

It seems that whenever I change screens from Port to Modules to Exterior, even changing Commemorative flags makes the game freeze for a second before it loads the next view of the ship?

Why does it lag like that? It so much processing power required to make small changes in the UI of the game or the ship in port?

Its really f annoying actually

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,157 posts
14,439 battles

It's been this way since forever.

Don't expect it to change.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,906 posts
7,759 battles

I just reboot.

From my XP restarting the client doesnt help... at least not as much as reboot.

Also those 1 click cleanup programs like ccleaner dont help. Examined taskmgr... all seems cool... so the fastest solution for me is reboot, since my OS reboots in under 10 secs.

But sometimes i go AFK, alt tabbing WOWS to background... and after an hour the game is still connected and UI still responsive.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
[BBMM]
Beta Tester, Players
135 posts
2,057 battles

Yea wows is by far the most UI laggy game of all the WG titles.

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
112 posts
2,686 battles

I'm fairly certain it's the old Warplanes UI, lifted wholesale into warships. It's always been a bit of a mess, but at the time of beta, Warplanes had a lot less things to present - specifically around missions, containers, etc etc.

My particular favourite is the way the missions, campaigns, events, and directives are scattered over three different places, with specific details sometimes three layers down.

Campaign mission - click campaign, wait a minute while it loads that, click campaign, then the campaign stage, then the mission iself... 

Yeah, I know it's only a small Dev team, and I know the work involved in design-test-deploy a new UI is huge, and it doesn't generate any revenue... But it really needs sorting. 

Players
3,015 posts
7,133 battles
6 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

It seems that whenever I change screens from Port to Modules to Exterior, even changing Commemorative flags makes the game freeze for a second before it loads the next view of the ship?

Why does it lag like that? It so much processing power required to make small changes in the UI of the game or the ship in port?

Its really f annoying actually

So you don't get freezes lasting up to and more then 10 seconds, after which the screen will actually turn black for a couple more seconds and Windows thinks the program has locked up?

The UI is so laggy these days, I stopped adding very good players to my contact list to quickly send them a grats message in port because it takes a minute to even just open up my contact list these days and the moment is gone by then :Smile_sceptic:

Players
3,015 posts
7,133 battles
20 minutes ago, _Dunc_ said:

I'm fairly certain it's the old Warplanes UI, lifted wholesale into warships. It's always been a bit of a mess, but at the time of beta, Warplanes had a lot less things to present - specifically around missions, containers, etc etc.

My particular favourite is the way the missions, campaigns, events, and directives are scattered over three different places, with specific details sometimes three layers down.

Campaign mission - click campaign, wait a minute while it loads that, click campaign, then the campaign stage, then the mission iself... 

Yeah, I know it's only a small Dev team, and I know the work involved in design-test-deploy a new UI is huge, and it doesn't generate any revenue... But it really needs sorting. 

The UI is the face of the game. I think it was dumb to having ignored this problem for so long.

[PMI]
Players
2,555 posts
6,008 battles
42 minutes ago, _Dunc_ said:

Yeah, I know it's only a small Dev team

Nope?

and I know the work involved in design-test-deploy a new UI is huge

Again, nope...

and it doesn't generate any revenue... But it really needs sorting. 

It does indeed generate revenue, people stops using software that works like poo, like wows, its a matter of fact.

They are however hell bent on putting this one down for good so, really not surprised.

• Cool 1

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
112 posts
2,686 battles
5 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Nope?

Again, nope...

It does indeed generate revenue, people stops using software that works like poo, like wows, its a matter of fact.

They are however hell bent on putting this one down for good so, really not surprised.

You're applying the wrong logic to it. 

For WG, content is king - beyond maps, game modes, bugs, etc... It always comes back to them churning out content.

Always content, because content drives short term revenue (if you make it OP enough to get people to skip the grind with doubloons/FXP).

New ship = cash

A port UI which isn't a laggy cast off from a long dead sister title isn't going to generate short term hit in the same simple way WG like. 

[PMI]
Players
2,555 posts
6,008 battles
3 minutes ago, _Dunc_ said:

You're applying the wrong logic to it. 

Again, no, we are not applying any logic, we dont have to, its RG that applies none when it should...

For WG, content is king - beyond maps, game modes, bugs, etc... It always comes back to them churning out content.

Always content, because content drives short term revenue (if you make it OP enough to get people to skip the grind with doubloons/FXP).

New ship = cash

A port UI which isn't a laggy cast off from a long dead sister title isn't going to generate short term hit in the same simple way WG like. 

And that is costing them money in the long run, if you-they cant see it, well, no biggie really...

[HF_30]
Players
1,373 posts

Oh, it's costing them money in the short run too. I recall several times, where the laggy UI gave me enough time to develop second thoughts about a purchase I was going to make on impulse.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[SCRUB]
Players
7,704 posts
9,928 battles

You know what the best part about the UI improvements on PTS are?

They just slowed down the transitioning so it doesn't look like the UI is freezing/stuttering, but it takes just as long to do anything.

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
112 posts
2,686 battles
50 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Again, no, we are not applying any logic, we dont have to, its RG that applies none when it should...

And that is costing them money in the long run, if you-they cant see it, well, no biggie really...

I can see it, you can see it, WG can't or won't - that's my point.

A new ship or line is very simple for WG - costs X to develop and release, gives a return of Y over first two weeks either on Doubloons-FXP conversion, player level spike with prem time purchases, or on buying the thing from the shop in the case of premium ship.

Sorting out the car crash that is the port UI is far harder to quantify in terms of return on the investment. Also, given how bad the underlying UI engine is, it does seem to need a complete ground-up replacement which is far more expensive than getting your modelling team to make a new ship.

There's also the question of whether WG even have the skills in house - game UI/UX is a unique skillset now 

• Cool 1

[PMI]
Players
2,555 posts
6,008 battles
5 minutes ago, _Dunc_ said:

There's also the question of whether WG even have the skills in house - game UI/UX is a unique skillset now 

Oh I can answer that one myself: they dont...

• Cool 1