Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Cyclops_

New Flooding System for next update

16 comments in this topic

[OGHF]
Players
674 posts
11,839 battles

Any one else think that the new forthcoming flooding system will be another massive nerf to DD and a big buff to BB’s especially, did notice that there is no buff to DD when they get hit with a torp, thoughts ??

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[OMNI]
Players
866 posts
11,839 battles

Actually DDs take really low flooding damage with the new mechanic.

Also DDs are and have been getting a huge array of indirect buffs, (BB-AP, Ce nerf, Radar changes). If you ignore the Work in Progress Elephant in the room (CVs) this flooding change is not a BB buff DD nerf problem at all.

With that said it still is yet another change down the "Lets dumb things down, lets make the game more forgiving" path that WG has decided to take and in that perspective it's another needless - bad change.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Players
181 posts
6,517 battles

When have you sunk of flooding on a DD? Can't remember! :cap_wander:

I for once agree with these changes. Let's see if they can buff the torpedo reload time a bit as well.

About the radar changes, I hope 6 seconds will be enough to turn around and flee. Not sure that this matters now with the CV Eye in the Sky.

• Bad 1

[OMNI]
Players
866 posts
11,839 battles

If you have to wonder about 6 seconds being enough to TURN AROUND and flee... then you are a terrible DD player by definition.

Why would you need to be radared to start turning around in the first place?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Game is too complicated and punishing for the "bottom of the barrel" players that WG has been gathering for the last 2 years.

All I could think of when reading the news is "another nail on the coffin lid"...

• Cool 2

Players
2,484 posts
14,604 battles
52 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

Any one else think that the new forthcoming flooding system will be another massive nerf to DD and a big buff to BB’s especially, did notice that there is no buff to DD when they get hit with a torp, thoughts ??

Even though its direct effect on me was minor at best, I never cared for the flooding mechanic.  On more than one occasion, I cause flooding on a BB at that precise magic moment after damage control immunity, and then they flooded out.  That just doesn't sound like a fun experience.

• Cool 1

[L7P]
Beta Tester
151 posts
7,282 battles

its mostly the fires set by teammates after my flooding has been repaired that kills a BB :)

[SM0KE]
Players
2,635 posts
6,481 battles
1 hour ago, Cyclops_ said:

I'm not sure - whilst it's a change, I don't know if it'll be for the worse or not.

If WG's spiel turns out to be true (yeah, I know!) it could increase the damage done by DDs in practice, because of the whole thing about people starting to treat floods like fires i.e. not an instant DCP. On the other hand, it's still repairable damage, so there is the danger that it'll just be 'epeen damage' on  things with healing potions i.e. makes you feel like you've done something, but not that useful in terms of winning the game...?

If I understand it right, it may reward skill (with torps) a bit more, in that it'll be harder to get two floods now...?

Even though I'm a DD main, I'm not breaking out my pitchfork just yet - I'll wait and see what happens in practice first.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,362 posts
11,276 battles
2 hours ago, Spithas said:

Actually DDs take really low flooding damage with the new mechanic.

Flooding damage never was an issue for DDs, though - they rarely eat torpedoes AND survive AND are out of DCP at the same time.

Also, the Radar changes are a buff against USN Radar (then again, the ranges of USN Radars are buffed for tiers below 10) but the Soviet Radars receive a massive duration buff - their power against DDs is increased with these changes. Especially considering that these 6 seconds only really matters when the Radar ship's allies expected to see you and had their guns roughly pre-aimed before the Radar is activated. Yes, after these 6 seconds you are already running away - but the volume of fire only increases with time and these early salvoes rarely do much unless you really are a fan of sitting in smoke in predictable places waiting for Radar and/or torps.

• Cool 2

Players
181 posts
6,517 battles
1 hour ago, Spithas said:

If you have to wonder about 6 seconds being enough to TURN AROUND and flee... then you are a terrible DD player by definition.

Why would you need to be radared to start turning around in the first place?

:cap_like:

[SUM69]
Players
13 posts
9,297 battles

I haven't played for a week due to the horrible CV rework then patch, my premium runs out this month and will not be renewed as I feel there are better thing to spend my cash on, this is another nerf of DD's, especially Japanese Torpedo boats who don't have the guns to engage in trying to set fires and depend on Torps to do their damage (their lack of effective AA has already limited their ability to survive and contribute with the proliferation of CVs after the rework). Now it seems that BBs are getting a Major Buff regarding the effect of flooding and the game is becoming more idiot proof (watch the number of single fires repaired as flooding is no longer a major threat). The cv overhaul resulted in far more torpedo hits than previously and instead of thinking about modifying air launched torps they decided to nerf every torpedo. Why? The reasons they give in the release  are protecting poor play  not rewarding good play (delay launch on torps from a second launcher to catch him after he has repaired the first strike for example).

I find it amusing that the Russian "Cruisers" are treated as BBs for the Flooding Mechanic but not for MM? No Russian Bias though?

I am not even going to look at the new radar mechanics, until they prevent the radar going through solid objects nothing they do will fix this issue.

I may come back to this game eventually but at the moment it is sucking the fun out of the experience. All due to a badly thought out CV rework and a general dumbing down of the game.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[MUMMY]
[MUMMY]
Players
181 posts
5,899 battles
4 hours ago, Juanx said:

All I could think of when reading the news is "another nail on the coffin lid"...

Same here.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,362 posts
11,276 battles
5 hours ago, Cyclops_ said:

No, no, you don't understand - flooding will now be causing more damage because people won't be wasting DCP on them, that's clearly a buff to DDs, WG style :Smile_trollface:

(I somehow managed to respond to one of the other people but forgot to clear your misconception from the opening post, can't leave it like this :Smile-_tongue:)

• Cool 1

[BLUMR]
Beta Tester
824 posts
7,690 battles

How is this a nerf?

Flooding was long overdue for rebalancing. Now it's no longer going to be a death sentence unless you spec for survivability.

I'm taking a guess but, I'm pretty sure most of the DD damage comes from the torpedoes.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
4,385 posts
6,242 battles
20 minutes ago, eliastion said:

No, no, you don't understand - flooding will now be causing more damage because people won't be wasting DCP on them, that's clearly a buff to DDs, WG style :Smile_trollface:

Well, DDs will get more damage out of it, if some people will not DCP one flooding. So they get more XP because more damage... sounds perfectly like WG tactic :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,362 posts
11,276 battles
4 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Well, DDs will get more damage out of it, if some people will not DCP one flooding. So they get more XP because more damage... sounds perfectly like WG tactic :Smile_trollface:

Of course, it's a work of a genius! :Smile_trollface:

No, but perfectly seriously: WG maybe overdid it a little but they weren't COMPLETELY wrong. The all-of-nothing nature of flooding was a bit problematic. And, in fact, even fires are a bit all-or-nothing right now. Imagine, however, if the changes were done A LITTLE differently, in two parts:

1. Damage nerfed as heavily described, but flooding, at least on BBs, becomes applicable in 3 rather than 2 places (bow, middle, stern rather than only front,aft - that would actually show the power of "high flooding chance" torps like IJN big torps and DWT torps, since torps of most DDs and certainly plane-dropped ones have negligible chances of flooding the middle section on BBs)

2. The effect of DCP changed. Instead of "instant effect + immunity" DCP would be "duration of DoT effects (ongoing and incoming) down to 5%, rounded down".

There, voila. If the resulting DoT damage would be too heavy, the values could then be balanced accordingly. Now, think of the advantages of the system as described:

1. Flooding mechanics actually noticeably reward ships with high flooding chance, since one of the areas where flooding is possible happens to be the area that is protected by torpedo bulge where a lot of torps usually fail to make a hole (especially planes are notoriously bad at doing this).

2. The only moment when DoT fails to apply is when the part is already flooding or burning. A ship actively repairing is ALMOST immune but not quite - it still takes (assuming no duration-reducing effects)

- 1 tick of fire on DDs and cruisers (5% of 30s = 1.5)

- 3 ticks of fire on BBs (5% of 60s = 3)

- 2 ticks of flooding on everything (5% of 40s = 2)

With any relevant duration reductions, the number of ticks of newly-applied (with DCP active) DoT falls down to

- 1 tick of fire for DDs

- 2 ticks of fire for BBs

- 1 tick of flooding for everything

3. Once you inflict DoT, you always get a little bit of damage out of it (it might be a consolation prize if the target hits DCP right away or it's already active but you DO get SOMETHING - no more 0 damage floodings unless the target dies before the first tick)

4. You can actually create unique DCP consumables for special ships/lines - for example you could have a line with DCP on very short cooldown and infinite charges BUT cutting the duration less (so you can use it much more but more ticks slip through when you do).

5. The DoT values can be easily tweaked up or down for balancing reasons if deemed excessive/insufficient - increasing times/DPS more consistently results in more damage even for DoT that we expect to be damage conned a lot.

...damn, this was just a loose idea, but when I started thinking about it, I kinda started liking it more and more. I doubt anybody up there will care about it, but I guess there's no loss in at least trying to find someone to push it upwards to people making some decisions as a suggestion? :cap_hmm:

@MrConway, would you be so kind and do me this favor, especially if this sort of approach looks to you half as good as it does to the not-so-unbiased me?

• Cool 4

Sign in to follow this