21 comments in this topic

Players
9 posts

Hi, I'm new to this, though I've been playing Blitz for a while. I have lots of questions, but 3 might be a good start

1. What are the pink ships that are sometimes on my team in Coop battles?

2. During a battle, is there some way of knowing what type of ship (eg Clemson, as opposed to "destroyer") I'm looking at and who it belongs to?

3. When I'm sunk, how can I tell who by? - I don't mean the name of the captain or the ship (which are displayed), but which ship it is on the display, so I can see where I went wrong

[CATS]
Players
18,899 posts
12,066 battles
20 minutes ago, Kendaltom said:

Hi, I'm new to this, though I've been playing Blitz for a while. I have lots of questions, but 3 might be a good start

2. During a battle, is there some way of knowing what type of ship (eg Clemson, as opposed to "destroyer") I'm looking at and who it belongs to?

3. When I'm sunk, how can I tell who by? - I don't mean the name of the captain or the ship (which are displayed), but which ship it is on the display, so I can see where I went wrong

1. People with game rule violations
  2. Activate the more detailed combat HUD in the options
  3. I do not understand your question
  • Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,306 battles
Vor 21 Minuten, Kendaltom sagte:

Pink means that a player broke a rule and has received a temporary warning. Possible reasons are too much team damage or going afk.

Vor 22 Minuten, Kendaltom sagte:

You get more information by activating the Alternative Interface (Options -> Controls -> lower left side) or in game by pressing the ALT-key.

It also helps to add more information to the minimap by (when in game) holding CTRL and clicking with your mouse on the little gear at the map, then changing these settings to show ship names etc.

Vor 24 Minuten, Kendaltom sagte:

If you have the name, you will know who it was after doing step 1 and 2 ^^

• Cool 2

Players
2,109 posts
14,429 battles

You can see the team line-ups by holding the <TAB> key.

Regarding the third question, it depends.

Basically, you are shown the name and emblem of the player that killed you, as long as you are not using the "dogtag remover" mod from the Aslain Modpack. The ship that killed you is also shown above the minimap for a few seconds and there should even be a chat message.

You can only see that player if one of your team mates is spotting him though.

Press Shift to go into free camera mode, then you can move around with the WASD keys and your mouse.

• Cool 2

Players
9 posts

Lots to learn! I've now got the team line ups on the screen by selecting this option. Also trying each of the Alternative views

What are the two little triangles that appear next to the gun sights?. I also seem to get odd little red circles on the screen sometimes - not planes - I know what the planes are and that the enemy doesn't have any.

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
2 hours ago, Kendaltom said:

Lots to learn! I've now got the team line ups on the screen by selecting this option. Also trying each of the Alternative views

What are the two little triangles that appear next to the gun sights?. I also seem to get odd little red circles on the screen sometimes - not planes - I know what the planes are and that the enemy doesn't have any.

On the alternative battle interface select the "Full" option. This will show both the name of a player and which ship he is in while you play. I also recommend disabling the collision avoidance system.

Also what two little triangles? If you're referring to the one with the "!" inside it, it is your current concealment range. If you're referring to the two white triangles close to each other on the right of the aiming interface, it's a symbol that tells you that your shells will most likely hit an island in front of your guns.

• Cool 2

Players
9 posts

Back again - sorry! (should I post new questions as a new post?).

1. Why are some ships on the mini map shown as only outlines (further away), while most are fully coloured in?

2. I've worked out that the little targets flying around are presumably fighters, but there seem to be other things flying around when there are no carriers - like a double bracket with a circle at the centre? - what are these?

3. is there a list of symbols anywhere so i can read it and stop asking stupid questions?

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
18,899 posts
12,066 battles
6 minutes ago, Kendaltom said:

1. Why are some ships on the mini map shown as only outlines (further away), while most are fully coloured in?

2. I've worked out that the little targets flying around are presumably fighters, but there seem to be other things flying around when there are no carriers - like a double bracket with a circle at the centre? - what are these?

3. is there a list of symbols anywhere so i can read it and stop asking stupid questions?

1. You have a limited view range and cannot see ships outside that range, but they are outlined on the mini map
  2. Anything on this picture?: wows_013.jpg

[SM0KE]
Players
3,275 posts
8,354 battles

Is that the icon for a spotting aircraft? Tells you that its mummy is somewhere in the middle of the area that it's circling.

I'm not sure how up to date it is after the rework, but a lot of this stuff is in the wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

Do keep asking questions though, you'll often get more useful answers faster, and it's basically what this forum is for...

[W-C]
2,488 posts
6,713 battles

1. They're outside your render range. You can see your max render range as a transparent white cone on the minimap
  2. There are only two other things capable of flying on the minimap other than carrier fighters. Spotting aircraft that extends one's range (shown as two circles and a dot), and a fighter plane (shown as a circle with some spikes at every 90° angle). There's nothing else
  3. Try holding F1 in game. Also as long as you're polite and respectful, there are no stupid questions. Don't be a smartass who rejects everything simply because he wants to and we'll help you, so don't worry about sounding stupid.
  • Cool 1

Players
9 posts
16 hours ago, ColonelPete said:
  1. You have a limited view range and cannot see ships outside that range, but they are outlined on the mini map
  2. Anything on this picture?: wows_013.jpg

Thanks for 1.

Don't see anything on the picture, but, from other replies, they seem to be spotting aircraft associated with battleships and maybe cruisers - I'd no idea anything but carriers had aircraft!

Players
9 posts
14 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Is that the icon for a spotting aircraft? Tells you that its mummy is somewhere in the middle of the area that it's circling.

I'm not sure how up to date it is after the rework, but a lot of this stuff is in the wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

Do keep asking questions though, you'll often get more useful answers faster, and it's basically what this forum is for...

Hi Verblonde,

I suppose it's these spotting aircraft - they buzz around ships, battleships and maybe cruisers? Didn't know anything other than carriers had aircraft.

Am now working my way through the Wiki - I've already been through most other things I could find on WOW and Youtube etc

As requested, I'll keep asking questions....:-)

• Cool 1

Players
9 posts
14 hours ago, domen3 said:
  1. They're outside your render range. You can see your max render range as a transparent white cone on the minimap
  2. There are only two other things capable of flying on the minimap other than carrier fighters. Spotting aircraft that extends one's range (shown as two circles and a dot), and a fighter plane (shown as a circle with some spikes at every 90° angle). There's nothing else
  3. Try holding F1 in game. Also as long as you're polite and respectful, there are no stupid questions. Don't be a smartass who rejects everything simply because he wants to and we'll help you, so don't worry about sounding stupid.

Hi domen3, thanks for the reply - I think they must be these spotting planes - they buzz around a ship

Now going to try F1.

I'm a bit of a disaster in WOW at the moment - I don't do bad in Blitz, where I can see most of the ships easily on the main screen, but, in WOW, I keep getting destroyed by ships I've not seen, as, when I'm busying attacking something, I find it really hard to watch the mini map at the same time!

[W-C]
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
41 minutes ago, Kendaltom said:

Hi domen3, thanks for the reply - I think they must be these spotting planes - they buzz around a ship

Now going to try F1.

I'm a bit of a disaster in WOW at the moment - I don't do bad in Blitz, where I can see most of the ships easily on the main screen, but, in WOW, I keep getting destroyed by ships I've not seen, as, when I'm busying attacking something, I find it really hard to watch the mini map at the same time!

Not shooting is also a skill. If you learn your concealment ranges you can very easily avoid damage or ambush enemies by not shooting. In case you don't know you can set concealment ranges on the minimap by holding ctrl and clicking the little cog wheel next to the minimap.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
808 posts
12,750 battles
Vor 50 Minuten, Kendaltom sagte:

Now going to try F1.

Most of us started before Blitz was even available, but ALL of us went through these learning steps at the beginning. This is what this game is like in the beginning (like many other MMO games). It'll get better if you keep up your willingness to learn.

Also feel free to watch some videos on Youtube, that might help. The "how it works" series from Wargaming may be a good starting point:

• Cool 1

[KURLA]
Players
1,002 posts
18,212 battles
5 hours ago, Kendaltom said:

I keep getting destroyed by ships I've not seen, as, when I'm busying attacking something, I find it really hard to watch the mini map at the same time!

It's something you'll get used to.

Try to treat it like a rear view mirror. Short glances several times a minute.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
3,275 posts
8,354 battles
5 hours ago, Kendaltom said:

I suppose it's these spotting aircraft - they buzz around ships, battleships and maybe cruisers? Didn't know anything other than carriers had aircraft.

At the moment, quite a few cruisers and BBs can mount spotting aircraft or catapult fighters (they're both consumables); some ships can mount one or the other, some only get a choice of one type.

Fighters (obviously) defend against air attack, plus provide some spotting assistance (I haven't made much use of the new version yet though); spotting aircraft offer no defensive capability but, besides the obvious spotting, increase the range of your main guns for the duration of the consumable, as well as changing the angle of your POV - many people find the latter especially of use when taking shots at people hiding in smoke, and/or behind islands. The changed POV does take some getting used to.

A common use for these sorts of planes, mainly spotters, is to lurk in smoke whilst using the plane to provide visibility of your target - Perth is a very fine example of this style.

With the recent rework, planes lost the ability to spot torps though, which has lessened their utility somewhat in some contexts.

• Cool 1

Players
9 posts

Thanks to everyone who's replied. If I'm not back, it's because I've had a name change to Myohmy - somehow Wargaming managed to link my new WOW account (Myohmy) to an old one I must have set up when I tried the tanks version (presumably Kendaltom), so I'm trying to disentangle them and get rid of Kendaltom without losing all the goodies I've collected both here and in WOW Blitz!!.

• Cool 1