Sign in to follow this  
Beastofwar

WOT radio range still best option for WOWS now

Is WOT like radio range a good idea for WOWS ?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is WOT like radio range a good idea for WOWS ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other ( comment in answer )

4 comments in this topic

Players
777 posts
4,778 battles

In all fairness the spotting mechanics in WOWS have become problematic and game breaking to many. I understand comparing to WOT (tanks )  ships have far more powerful radio transmitters and large antenna so designing the game with radio range as limiting mechanic must have seemed unescessary.

But it would be an acceptable solution now there are many CV balancing problems nearly all player would agree on i think : Give ships and aircraft radio ranges. Ofcourse  limited by balancing of their role, by what they should be able to do. That means that aircraft not connecting to a radio chain (ship ) cannot transmit the position of a whole enemy fleet at match start. That alone would solve a lot of player frustration. Aircraft  cannot transmit position of an enemy DD if their own DD is not close behind them acting as a connecting chain transmitter. If CV are also reduced to 1 per side the one active squadron cannot threaten most of the active DD any more. The will take a lot of pressure  of DD while not making them immune.

Plus side :

- Enemy fleet can not be fired upon in seconds after match start by aircraft out of range of next closest radio chain transmitter (ship)

- Enemy fleet may deploy in relative secrecy ( pilots can still descirbe movement/numbers in chat, point out squares on minimap, but it wont be all revealing and allied ships cannot fire on them yet )

- If there are caps foreward rushing rocket fighters with no radio connection to a next chain (ship) transmitter cannot bring fleet fire down on an eventual capping DD there. ( untill allied ships get closer )

Down side

- If an aircraft is closely followed by a DD ( closest chain transmitter ) and a radio chain can be formed in the fleet there will be no difference for the spotted DD or ship.

- This mechanic will "nerf" DD spotting too. If they are too far away from allied ships or aircraft making the link with the fleet, they cannot benefit from fire upon spotting either.

- After some minutes ships will have closed in and be so near each other  the mechanic will deminish in effect as all ships may be in range most of the time.

- It will be more difficult to catch fleeying targets in far edges of the map as limited radio range between few surviving ships will hinder cooordination.

Alternatively there could be an aircraft spotting system that shows only last location to the fleet, but actual ships themselves are not seen by other ships until they themselves see the target. Ofc the aircraft itself do see the ships, but cannot light them up to be fired upon.

Ofc i did not think this up by myself, other forum members came up with (WOT) radio range. I just thought on it some more. What you guys think ?

• Cool 3

Players
76 posts
20,260 battles

The idea could be interesting, but we should understand better and study in detail all the various interactions. ;)

But it is sad that the final players have to squeeze their brains, to find ways to reduce the damage that WG has done to the game. With a hasty and arrogant patch, designed very bad!:Smile_sad:

Furthermore, since at Wargaming, (it is now obvious to everyone), they are not interested in the feedbacks, the opinions, or the ideas of the players, why should we commit ourselves? Unfortunately it would be lost time.

They decided to turn a strategic / tactical game for PC into a trivial arcade for consoles, with CVsRework, ArmsRace and other  additions of future nonsense, (probably to enter the console market in the hope of making more money)? Ok, let them do all the work!
Or they must pay us! :Smile_trollface:

In the past I contributed, I helped, I reported bugs, I tested and retested, to improve a game that I loved, to create a better experience and make it more enjoyable for everyone, even for me as a final player.
But if I have to do all this work to balance a game that is no longer the one for which I had invested so much effort (and money), and that all these balances are just to fit the console by treating players on PC, as secondary players, then I prefer do not do it any more.

If we PC players are no longer interesting for Wargaming, then why should we continue to be their guinea pigs (and betatesters even on live) for console players?
No, thanks no!

Sorry for the "outburst" of a small and insignificant player of what was once called World of Warships! :Smile_sad:

Dear Wargaming,
I tell you, an ancient proverb of my region:
"Never spit on the plate that gave you to eat!"

• Cool 1

Players
777 posts
4,778 battles

Because of console hardware not being that different from PC's. They have a CPU/GPU and memory just like PC does. If games are made for both PC and consoles, it is actually good for PC players as that is a group of users that becomes smaller, if games were made for PC alone there would be less and less games to play. Although they claimed that 10 years ago ( even before that ) PC would be dead, but the popularity of steam and such platforms has much to do with it not going completely down as a game platform. But an increasing amount of games are not developed for PC anymore.

I think everyone heard of the insanity of Blizzard and their "exclusive for mobile devices"" Diablo 4 ? They may yet regret that ( maby not if they truely had the chinese market in mind ) but it proves you better share your game with other systems then that developers not want to code it for PC anymore as there are fewer customers.

So....WG still need to imrpove OUR game despite or regardless of console plans. I don't mind WOWS being made suitable for consoles at all. Unless they dumb it down, obviously the group of most dedicated players is older then teens. Good thing for WG is these players generally have more money to spend or are not depedent on their parents to give it ti them or ask permission to spend it on WOWS. So they should be careful not to lose us :-)))

[OCTO]
Players
819 posts
16,112 battles
18 hours ago, Silver_Leviathan said:

The idea could be interesting, but we should understand better and study in detail all the various interactions. ;)

But it is sad that the final players have to squeeze their brains, to find ways to reduce the damage that WG has done to the game. With a hasty and arrogant patch, designed very bad!:Smile_sad:

Furthermore, since at Wargaming, (it is now obvious to everyone), they are not interested in the feedbacks, the opinions, or the ideas of the players, why should we commit ourselves? Unfortunately it would be lost time.

They decided to turn a strategic / tactical game for PC into a trivial arcade for consoles, with CVsRework, ArmsRace and other  additions of future nonsense, (probably to enter the console market in the hope of making more money)? Ok, let them do all the work!
Or they must pay us! :Smile_trollface:

In the past I contributed, I helped, I reported bugs, I tested and retested, to improve a game that I loved, to create a better experience and make it more enjoyable for everyone, even for me as a final player.
But if I have to do all this work to balance a game that is no longer the one for which I had invested so much effort (and money), and that all these balances are just to fit the console by treating players on PC, as secondary players, then I prefer do not do it any more.

If we PC players are no longer interesting for Wargaming, then why should we continue to be their guinea pigs (and betatesters even on live) for console players?
No, thanks no!

Sorry for the "outburst" of a small and insignificant player of what was once called World of Warships! :Smile_sad:

Dear Wargaming,
I tell you, an ancient proverb of my region:
"Never spit on the plate that gave you to eat!"

+1

Sign in to follow this