Sign in to follow this  
Zerberus76

Multirant: Is there some sort of trick to leveling beyond 6 in the current Game (without going broke ingame and /or IRL)?

22 comments in this topic

Players
19 posts
2,043 battles

Mimimimi.... ;)

But seriously, this is getting old fast, I´ve been playing about a month, have finally progressed past tier 6, and basically hit a brick wall as far as any progress is concerned more or less the day the patch was released... every random match after tier 2, bar none, has one of 2 outcomes: Total roflstomp, or get totally roflstomped, to the point where after tier 5 it´s basically become impossible to actually earn credits on a random match.  Tier 7 ships are a guaranteed financial loss in 3/5 matches, even with warships premium.  I expected a grind, but suddenly going from +100k net/match to negative earnings even with premium time is just a bad joke, and I'm starting to wish I´d saved my money.

As it stands right now, I can either play somewhere around 250-300 matches to get to the XP for next tier in Co-op without losing more to R+R than I made on each one , and probably another 5-600 for the credits, or simply accept that I´ll never be good enough to warrant owning a decent ship as a random battle player, much less the ones I came here to actually play like the Bismarck, Iowa and Yamato if I actually want to continue to have a real life. As It´stands I´m on vacation, was hyped to play the game more, and I´m beginning to regret ever starting.

The problem is that you´re now always matched with 2 carriers /team starting at tier 3... which BTW is "totally awesome" at tier 3 where nobody has reasonable AA yet, so the carriers basically decide the entire match amongst themselves while everyone else gets to do pity damage and watch the planes circle, if they weren't already lucky hit by a battleship who can now spot across and engage the entire map as soon as his guns are loaded.

The bottom line now is that if your carriers are better, you win, if not, the enemy carriers defuse and sink them, and the rest of the match is a foregone conclusion because there is now an endless supply of planes....you can shoot down 24+ alone in one match  (so probably 50+ over the team), ,  and they still just keep on coming,  just press f.  And that´s just [edited].  As if real aircraft carriers with their limited supply of planes and the need to take them downstairs to rearm weren't pesky enough to be the main target of any engagement, no, we have to make them de facto impossible to disarm...

As a direct result, cover and concealment have  become almost completely irrelevant compared to 2 weeks ago, every match with any carriers at all has now completely devolved into everybody hanging back near said carriers (except for 2 or 3 destroyers that apparently always have a death wish), praying for something to come into their range so they can land a lucky shot and maybe get more than "thanks for coming" credits, because moving away from the carriers and their aa is a death sentence in and of itself.....  I´ve actually started to earn MORE after repair and rearm in Co-Op than in Random battles with otherwise the exact same ships, because I actually get to shoot at something myself and that earns credits.....  All because it´s actually possible to close to under 20 km without getting raped solely because the bots don´t understand CV mechanics yet.

I currently have zero motivation  to play against other humans because all it means is hours on end of derping around doing nothing, and Co-op is boring AF for anyone that´s not a potato. But CVs are now, just like in RL, the only targets that actually matter,.....you just have to sail past unchallengeable air cover,  through numerous killzones, and past half a dozen ambushes to get to them.  And that´s exactly why nobody in world builds battleships anymore, because CVs are the ultimate in "knowing where your enemy is".. and that will ALWAYS be half the battle.  Just like here, half the battle if not more is having the better carrier jock.. the rest now depends more on who got lucky and who didn´t than who played well.

I´ve read all the guides in these forums, watched dozens of videos from WG and from players, and I "think" I´m generally not the worst player and have some modicum of a clue WTF I´m doing... possibly still well below average, but probably not the Derp of the Month.   If there´s some sort of tip that I´ve totally overlooked besides sticking together, using cover, providing aa support, and just generally not derping head on into a group of ships, now might be a good time to let me have it.... 

Please spare me the "play carriers yourself", I find the gameplay even more boring and uninspired,... Fly around the map doing nothing for 20 seconds, then strike 3 times, press f, repeat....wow, yay, i "walked" to a target, clicked start the attack, and clicked again to launch the ordinance...My god, what an astounding achievement. how imba I must be :D :D

But yeah, if I say "let´s be boring" and go afk for 10 minutes while my T7 New Orleans AA guns scrape together some pityxp while sitting between the carriers doing nothing otherwise of value, we might win.  No amount of naval tactics will help against teams who are scared to death to move from spawn because there might be a goddamn plane followed up by what feels lilke the apocalypse of 1000 200mm+ shells 20-35 seconds later....  So maybe the problem is that I want to have fun playing a game, WHILE still progressing in said game as opposed to what will amount to literally months of farming as soon as my vacation ends,  just to buy a ship that I can never realistically afford to actually play :/

And yes, i know nobody cares about this, as it´s just a new player experience and there are 7 billion others just like me that can potentially be tricked into paying for a month of premium and then pushed away by a massive gameplay and according balance change that obviously wasn´t thought out very well....  But I figured this is probably the only place where anyone might ....  

Seriously, any reasonable tips are more than welcome, if nothing else to help me enjoy what PT I still ahve left before making any rash decisions...  the basic game itself is fun and entertaining, but I´m not really interested in playing agaisnt derpbots forever and a  day just to have something shiny so I can continue with the campaigns (which would also mean more RB, at this point unfortunately...)

Cheers

PS @Wargaming: if you want a game based on a romanticized version of history, maybe think half a second before putting in the exact thing that doomed the entire concept the game is based on IRL???  Why exactly do you think nobody ever puts black powder cannons and handguns into a game like Defender of the Crown where you knock down castles and have swordfights, if not to not break it by invalidating everything that came before it? ;)

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
18,984 posts
12,100 battles

If you run negative income at Tier VI, you are doing it wrong.

Average players make money up to Tier VII and start going negative at Tier VIII. That is the time you should get better, pay for premium or just play more midtier.

• Cool 3

Players
19 posts
2,043 battles
Vor 37 Minuten, ColonelPete sagte:

If you run negative income at Tier VI, you are doing it wrong.

Average players make money up to Tier VII and start going negative at Tier VIII. That is the time you should get better, pay for premium or just play more midtier.

If that is in fact the case, then maybe I an derpier than your  average bear. That´s always a possibility.....

It just seems that the game has, at level 6, become mearurably harder to be good /effective at compared to 2 weeks ago at the same tier and simultaneously much more boring and stale from a gameplay perspective.... all aircraft, all the time, and everybody cowers in a murderball that doesn´t move and slowly gets chipped away by lr barrages and torpedobombers..... except the 2 destroyers that got bombed 1 minute in.

Overall I think I just needed to vent after seeing no measurable progress the last few days (then again, I did manage to finally turn the König into a Bayern and said Pensacola into a New Orleans), but again, any tips are welcome.

On the other hand.... When I started I got a charleston for daily logins,  and there have been events going on ever since that allowed me to score some other goodies (though only freexp so far in the containers, which is kind of offputting, at least there could have been coal or a few thousand credits, something that eventually helps me actually BUY a ship).... maybe on wed. when the next FSW level comes my little micro-Dopamine pushes will go back up again ;)

Players
1,959 posts
9,684 battles

Tier VI is fine, matey. That's where I play most of my games and the effect of the rework is negligible. A bit of teamwork and overlapping AA auras will help you negate enemy CVs: they have lots of planes but they are fragile, and their attacks do not do anything near the damage of those of surface ships. 

I would suggest that you take a pause at Tier VI and consolidate. When you get to Tier VII you will suddenly find yourself in competition with hard-hitting accurate BBs, HE spamming cruisers and general irritations like radar and high-tier CVs. Weaknesses get horribly exposed (as I found out).

Concentrate on mastering your Bayern, as you seem to have enjoyed the other KM BBs; but play some other BB lines (the French are good) and get to grips with cruisers; they are unforgiving but the skills you learn are invaluable for all ship lines. 

Players
19 posts
2,043 battles
Vor 13 Minuten, invicta2012 sagte:

Tier VI is fine, matey. That's where I play most of my games and the effect of the rework is negligible. A bit of teamwork and overlapping AA auras will help you negate enemy CVs: they have lots of planes but they are fragile, and their attacks do not do anything near the damage of those of surface ships. 

I would suggest that you take a pause at Tier VI and consolidate. When you get to Tier VII you will suddenly find yourself in competition with hard-hitting accurate BBs, HE spamming cruisers and general irritations like radar and high-tier CVs. Weaknesses get horribly exposed (as I found out).

Concentrate on mastering your Bayern, as you seem to have enjoyed the other KM BBs; but play some other BB lines (the French are good) and get to grips with cruisers; they are unforgiving but the skills you learn are invaluable for all ship lines. 

Believe it or not, I actually have 1 ship from all researchable tech lines (save the second USSRDestroyer line) and all nations, and teh current plan is actually to bring tehm all to 5 and slowly move from there.... when I started one of the events was to earn x million from each nation, and I figured the best way to accomplish both that and have a way too find out what I enjoy the most was to grab one of each. and with 5 soon to be 6 t10+ captains, things are slowly coming together as far as what I really prefer on what ships and how type x "should" be played for me to both enjoy it and profit from it (for ex torp vs gun destroyer, US CA vs CL....)

Tending overall towards US Cruisers and BBs first, and that´s where I have the most experience... I also like the French cruisers so far because they seem to think they´re destroyers on steroids....  But Da Rong in the PA destroyer is a sneaky lil SoB :D :D

[DAVY]
Beta Tester
168 posts
8,277 battles

Become a better player. Start learning how the game works, watch a few good youtubers or streamers, watch what your good players are doing in battle. 
Work on your situational awareness, make that minimap bigger if you have to, Use the full alternate UI setting as to get more info. 
Always look to deal damage to an enemy. Don't die in the first 5 mins of the game. Don't die for only 1 kill or 1 base, it's not worth it. Always look around you and seek help out your teammates, shoot what they are shooting.
Becoming skilled is honestly the surest way to earn more.

Economically, usually WG is dropping around plenty of free stuff, bonus codes, daily containers (don't roll for credits, consumables are better for a f2p imo).  missions etc.
Save any free gold you get, to transfer your skilled captains to the next ship.
If there's a chain mission again for a FREE premium ship, grind that bastard out.

• Cool 1

Players
4,050 posts
8,932 battles
17 hours ago, Zerberus76 said:

If that is in fact the case, then maybe I an derpier than your  average bear. That´s always a possibility.....

It just seems that the game has, at level 6, become mearurably harder to be good /effective at compared to 2 weeks ago at the same tier and simultaneously much more boring and stale from a gameplay perspective.... all aircraft, all the time, and everybody cowers in a murderball that doesn´t move and slowly gets chipped away by lr barrages and torpedobombers..... except the 2 destroyers that got bombed 1 minute in.

Overall I think I just needed to vent after seeing no measurable progress the last few days (then again, I did manage to finally turn the König into a Bayern and said Pensacola into a New Orleans), but again, any tips are welcome.

On the other hand.... When I started I got a charleston for daily logins,  and there have been events going on ever since that allowed me to score some other goodies (though only freexp so far in the containers, which is kind of offputting, at least there could have been coal or a few thousand credits, something that eventually helps me actually BUY a ship).... maybe on wed. when the next FSW level comes my little micro-Dopamine pushes will go back up again ;)

If you play coop, I can advice you to use only the free consumables.

Depending on which ship you play, each premium consumable will burn through 22,5k credits and this adds up fast, especially in coop where you basically won't even need the premium consumables.

Camos also cost credits, but at least take the camo that adds to enemy shell dispersion.

Credit income is also based on how much damage you do and you simply do too little.

Premium ships have increased credit multipliers and come with a permacamo so you don't have to purchase a new camo after every battle.

It also comes with a bonus to XP so you can do missions faster and get more daily containers, which come with loot :Smile_coin:

Of course premium ships cost money, but there are often mission going in which you can earn a premium ship (often a painful grind though)

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
2,043 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, NothingButTheRain sagte:

If you play coop, I can advice you to use only the free consumables.

Depending on which ship you play, each premium consumable will burn through 22,5k credits and this adds up fast, especially in coop where you basically won't even need the premium consumables.

Camos also cost credits, but at least take the camo that adds to enemy shell dispersion.

Credit income is also based on how much damage you do and you simply do too little.

Premium ships have increased credit multipliers and come with a permacamo so you don't have to purchase a new camo after every battle.

It also comes with a bonus to XP so you can do missions faster and get more daily containers, which come with loot :Smile_coin:

Of course premium ships cost money, but there are often mission going in which you can earn a premium ship (often a painful grind though)

I've been saving the camos and prem consumables for higher tier play, no worries there... ;)

And yeah, I keep doing my best to get any t5+ premium ship the free way, but both the event containers and the 3 daily containers seem to universally hate me, I´d say 90% +of my containers contain signal flags (usually the repair party cd one, which I generally always mount and still have hundreds of, lol), or a few hundred Freexp, sometimes a camo or a few hundred coal, I think I got 75000 credits once but not so sure..... oh, and one supercontainer with another 50k freexp...  

Come to think of it, at this rate I´ll probably be able to buy a Nelson soon... not so sure if I actually WANT one, but, hey, when you get lemons...:Smile_medal:

Players
4,050 posts
8,932 battles
57 minutes ago, Zerberus76 said:

I've been saving the camos and prem consumables for higher tier play, no worries there... ;)

And yeah, I keep doing my best to get any t5+ premium ship the free way, but both the event containers and the 3 daily containers seem to universally hate me, I´d say 90% +of my containers contain signal flags (usually the repair party cd one, which I generally always mount and still have hundreds of, lol), or a few hundred Freexp, sometimes a camo or a few hundred coal, I think I got 75000 credits once but not so sure..... oh, and one supercontainer with another 50k freexp...  

Come to think of it, at this rate I´ll probably be able to buy a Nelson soon... not so sure if I actually WANT one, but, hey, when you get lemons...:Smile_medal:

Nelson is not a bad ship. It should (in theory) be excellent at tanking fire damage but her problem is that she will eat a lot of citadel and other irrepairable damage...making her superheal strong point kinda moot.

I usually pick the resources containers. Those don't only contain the most coal, but also economic signal flags (the one you'll want is the Zulu, +20% credits).

Another option I didn't mention, you could farm credits in operations, but do so preferably with organised groups. There's usually some people looking for a group in the official ingame operations channel (feel free to mention you are new so others know you still need to learn the ropes).

The trick is to try to get a group ongoing that can systematically win and keep winning.

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
2,043 battles

I´ve been going with the TYL containers so far, as it seems the worst that can happen is a random basic reewrd that appears however to be slightly higher than teh base rewards of teh other types, just without the option for extra drops....   but an additional 1200 coal /day guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at now that I think of what for ex a salem or jean bart costs....  Or maybe grab the OR at t5 for starters, i have about half the coal already........hmmm....

Players
4,050 posts
8,932 battles
14 minutes ago, Zerberus76 said:

I´ve been going with the TYL containers so far, as it seems the worst that can happen is a random basic reewrd that appears however to be slightly higher than teh base rewards of teh other types, just without the option for extra drops....   but an additional 1200 coal /day guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at now that I think of what for ex a salem or jean bart costs....  Or maybe grab the OR at t5 for starters, i have about half the coal already........hmmm....

Both JB and Salem are good ships, but also high tier. I remember when I got my Missouri and my highest tech tree ship was a Mahan or Colorado or something :Smile_hiding:

Yes it makes a lot more credits but my Missouri stats will for always be tainted by my inexperience but I still had fun! :Smile_teethhappy: oh well...

But still, if you end up buying a high tier premium as an inexperienced player, count on it to be reminded by almost everybody that you need more practice first. BUT you can still play those premiums in high tier coop games. Not only will you get the hang of the high tier ships and gameplay (as in the new stuff like radar and such), but if you use all free consumables with a high tier premium in coop, you'll still make some credits every game :Smile_coin:

Just remember that the Salem supposedly has tech tree earnings, so it's comparable to a tier 10 with permacamo. The JB however should have a somewhat higher credit multiplier.

I don't have any other tier 10 premiums to compare Salem with and I played Salem just a couple times. But it appears to hold true so far.

If you want a good premium for operations, good ones are Scharnhorst for tier 7 and perhaps De Grasse for tier 6 (I use tech tree tier 6 cruisers in ops usually. Only rarely take out my Mutsu).

Atlanta is also a good choice but not an easy ship to get good results in. But ow my god, that ship is hillarious once you got a very good captain for her :cap_rambo:

Players
19 posts
2,043 battles

Main issue with choice is that I won´t be spending money on it, so that leaves only the ones available for coal, steel in the long run, and doubloons..... So the atlanta is out (even though she sounds right up my alley) , at least until it become attainable by grinding anjd /or luck.

And yeah, after looking at my stats on a few other sites, it appears that I am a significantly larger chunk worse than previously  assumed even after the first responses.... and for that exact reason I don´t think I´d even want a Salem or JB yet.... If I´m already getting clobbered, it´s kind of poiuntless to jump straight to 10....unless of course you subscribe to teh "the best way to get better is to play against people that are better and watch closely after dying" philosophy.... which I do, but watching others hasn´t really done as much for my gameplay as in other games so far....

We´ll see... ;)

[DAVY]
Beta Tester
168 posts
8,277 battles

theres no shame in trying to learn m8.

Be honest with your self. Ask your self the question, what could i have done better. who could i have helped (team work is looking out for who needs help, not demanding help.)

Try to stick to a few base rules.
Dont die needless. make atleast a equal trade for losing your ship. adding to that, the worth in points which are shown in game are misleading. Taking out a enemy DD is usually the most valuable thing you can do, followed by cruisers/cvs, and imo the BBs are worth the least in general, unless they are denying you a area that your really need. Ofc any target that makes himself vunerable should be focused down as fast as possible. 

Keep your ship in the fight the whole game. This means either farming damage, beeing a treath to a cap or key location, blocking an area, scouting. Sure sometimes you need to go dark and relocate and you need your full concealment up.

But the  rule of thumb is, if you are not capping, scouting, dealing damage (and no, a BB sniping from the rear does not count), or tanking damage you are of no use to your team.

• Cool 2

[WGB]
Players
248 posts
13,406 battles

Who caps or scouts anymore?

And as for 'going dark' in this new meta, you're having a larf aren't you?

p.s.

Oh! To the original poster - DO NOT SPEND A PENNY IN THIS GAME UNTIL WG HAVE FINISHED THEIR 'REWORK'(several months at least) AS YOU WILL EFFECTIVELY BE PAYING THEM TO BE THEIR TESTER AS THIS GAME IS NOW BACK TO AT LEAST ALPHA IF NOT BETA STATUS!

Players
720 posts
8,475 battles
On 2/11/2019 at 11:45 AM, Zerberus76 said:

T-6 versus T-8 is the first of the really painful matchups. You should be making money though if you are doing any sort of damage. T-7 is basically the most balanced tier in the game. T-8 is the next bad match up because you start to see T-10s when your aren't ROFL stomping T-6s. T-9 and T-10 you can make a lot of credits with the right flags, camo and premium time if you play well. 

[DAVY]
Beta Tester
168 posts
8,277 battles
12 hours ago, rising_uk said:

Who caps or scouts anymore?

And as for 'going dark' in this new meta, you're having a larf aren't you?

Just because you go about those tasks and objectives a litle different then in games without a CV, does not mean you cant do them. With the old CVs it was even harder, just at one point barely anyone was playing them. 
basicly it has become easier compared to the old CV meta, the only difference is there are a few more playing these days. 
And yes only a few atleast since the 0.1 hotfix, the majority of games you play are stil without cvs. 

Players
19 posts
2,043 battles
Vor 15 Stunden, rising_uk sagte:

p.s.

Oh! To the original poster - DO NOT SPEND A PENNY IN THIS GAME UNTIL WG HAVE FINISHED THEIR 'REWORK'(several months at least) AS YOU WILL EFFECTIVELY BE PAYING THEM TO BE THEIR TESTER AS THIS GAME IS NOW BACK TO AT LEAST ALPHA IF NOT BETA STATUS!

I always felt that was kind of self explanatory for any software with a version <1.0, and this isn´t the first open beta I´ve participated in, but thanks for the heads up. :Smile_medal:

Btw, no need to scream at me, and alpha comes before beta, both in the greek alphabet and in software development :Smile_hiding:

[WGB]
Players
248 posts
13,406 battles
8 minutes ago, Zerberus76 said:

I always felt that was kind of self explanatory for any software with a version <1.0, and this isn´t the first open beta I´ve participated in, but thanks for the heads up. :Smile_medal:

Btw, no need to scream at me, and alpha comes before beta, both in the greek alphabet and in software development :Smile_hiding:

My apologies I guess just my anger at how badly they've screwed the meta of the last few years and done it with my cash got to me and thanks for the heads-up about software development, so its back to beta at least then.

• Cool 2

[WGB]
Players
248 posts
13,406 battles
3 hours ago, Gl0cK_17 said:

Just because you go about those tasks and objectives a litle different then in games without a CV, does not mean you cant do them. With the old CVs it was even harder, just at one point barely anyone was playing them. 
basicly it has become easier compared to the old CV meta, the only difference is there are a few more playing these days. 
And yes only a few atleast since the 0.1 hotfix, the majority of games you play are stil without cvs. 

Well I don't disagree that before when we had CV's in the game you got spotted but there was also a counter to them back then, the other CV's and you were not perma-spotted right from the off all game long like you are now, I mean come-on you'e not even out of spawn before being spotted. Also the problem is that sure when the CV's are not in the game we can play old style but the ships are now configured for aa builds and pretty much nothing else so heavy concealment is a thing of the past I'd guess. Does anyone bother with 4pts into CE now? On top of that we are teaching newbies coming up basically to lemming everywhere, dd's not to scouts, etc, etc, is that what WG wanted? Still, at present I don't care as luckily my premium had just run out so I'm not paying for being their beta-tester and since I liked WoWPs I've retired my fleet and am just flying around playing WoCVWP's grinding out the CV's and bloody hard and thankless work it is :Smile_ohmy: but definitely fun if you like flying around. Although I'd be surprised if there are any silver CV's in the game in the end and it'll have all been for what? Just because some players whinged that the Midway was top of the charts, I always thought all credit to them as RTS CV's were hard to play. 

• Cool 1

Players
4,050 posts
8,932 battles
On 2/12/2019 at 7:21 PM, Gl0cK_17 said:

theres no shame in trying to learn m8.

Be honest with your self. Ask your self the question, what could i have done better. who could i have helped (team work is looking out for who needs help, not demanding help.)

Try to stick to a few base rules.
Dont die needless. make atleast a equal trade for losing your ship. adding to that, the worth in points which are shown in game are misleading. Taking out a enemy DD is usually the most valuable thing you can do, followed by cruisers/cvs, and imo the BBs are worth the least in general, unless they are denying you a area that your really need. Ofc any target that makes himself vunerable should be focused down as fast as possible. 

Keep your ship in the fight the whole game. This means either farming damage, beeing a treath to a cap or key location, blocking an area, scouting. Sure sometimes you need to go dark and relocate and you need your full concealment up.

But the  rule of thumb is, if you are not capping, scouting, dealing damage (and no, a BB sniping from the rear does not count), or tanking damage you are of no use to your team.

A rule of thump I would like to add is that once you got the majority of the caps and time is in your teams favor, denying enemies kills and caps which will lead to a win is alsoa  good rule of thumb. It's not about no cap kill all (or at least most of the time :Smile-_tongue:)

Players
435 posts
5,436 battles

T9 and 10 for me.

I have Neptune and Minotaur, Lion and Conquerer plus Jutland but can rarely make credits on them.

Gone back to low tiers and am enjoying French BBS, cruisers and German BBs 

[OSWEG]
[OSWEG]
Players
590 posts
4,748 battles

How do you even manage? The only time I lose money on a ship be it any tier is when I screw up and die with low damage done. Sorry but if you constantly lose money then it is 100% an l2p issue.

And once again. YOU ARENT SPOTTED MORE IN THIS CV VERSION!!! The only reason why it feels like it is because CVs were rare with the RTS system because few people played them. The fact is that planes die way way way easier to AA now than before and you can only launch one squad. You had 6-7 squads from ONE CV with the old system.

Its also a fact that no tier 4, 6 or 8 CV can carry any game right now. Especially not at tier 4. The damage output of these ships is so laughably low that the only way to get high damage numbers is to abuse floods and fires. The damage output of the RTS system were way way way higher.

• Bad 1

Sign in to follow this