Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OnceBittenTwiceShy

Magic Dual Purpose Guns ?

10 comments in this topic

Players
82 posts
4,296 battles

I have been wondering about this for a long time but the last patch made this even more obvious. Correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that dual purpose guns can fire at surface vessels OR at aircraft. However, in this game, the guns can point at 2 different targets at the same time. Why not introduce a command that let's the player decide at what he wants to shoot ?  Maybe an option for front / rear guns -  similar to the new sector enforcement.  Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy sitting behind an island, spamming IFHE from impunity, while shooting down a shedload of planes, as much as the next CL player but it just doesn't make sense.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Players
8 posts
4,447 battles

I agree, and I suggest:

Let the player (CA/DD) fire the long range DP guns against aircraft target. Just need a new button for AAA ammo (switch between AP, HE and AAA). That would be more fun IMHO. 

Also, if kept automatic, let the player at least decide if DP guns should engage aircraft or surface ships. 

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
176 posts
13,954 battles

Wow, you find this out now?
This has been a meme for so long wiht the CV players (pre-rework Cv players).

And one of he thing CV players wanted to adress wih the rework,. but it became a 3th person boming sim instead of a balnace rts rework.

Rip, WoWs, Hello WoWp, Hello CONSLE.

Yes they are magical.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Players
2,769 posts
10,202 battles

DD vs CV OP!!!

• Funny 1

[OP]
Beta Tester
94 posts
4,489 battles

Yeah, beacuse DDs as a class need a bit more beating right now, especially in fights versus CVs...

Now seriously - I dislike this suggestion. It would mean changing, reimplementing and rebalancing of all dual purpose guns in the game (not only DD main guns, but some secondaries are dual-purpose too), which in turn means more room to screw something up for WG. Current AA is not balanced at all and secondaries, while fun, are not competetively viable and definitely don't need any nerfing.

Also, you maximum number of planes shot down with a DD is 13. I would not call that "shedload".

• Cool 1

Players
817 posts
35 minutes ago, Dehtre said:

Now seriously - I dislike this suggestion. It would mean changing, reimplementing and rebalancing of all dual purpose guns in the game (not only DD main guns, but some secondaries are dual-purpose too), which in turn means more room to screw something up for WG. Current AA is not balanced at all and secondaries, while fun, are not competetively viable and definitely don't need any nerfing.

Some RN DD like Lightning and Jutland already do it now, their main guns serve as AA guns also.

Read the description about the ships in-game, it tells you that.

[CATS]
Players
18,877 posts
12,052 battles

The playerbase has already trouble dealing with the current game and you want to make it even more complicated?

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
4 hours ago, MRGTB said:

Some RN DD like Lightning and Jutland already do it now, their main guns serve as AA guns also.

Read the description about the ships in-game, it tells you that.

I don't think you understood the guy you're quoting.

Every DD with dual-purpose guns (and there's a lot of them in high tiers) has guns that are used as normal main battery and count as AA at the same time. The thing is - there is really no reason to nerf this by having the players choose. The AA of DDs isn't impressive at the best of times. Sure it's not realistic for guns to be magically firing at planes and ships at the same time, but there's no need to remove that feature since it would mostly just make ships with weak AA even weaker.

The only viable idea of removing this "magic" would be to completely change the way "main AA guns work" and give players control over them. Basically, a complete AA overhaul that would introduce true manual AA. That would also require giving more freedom to the CV players (and even the current system is criticized as "WoWp over the sea" - imagine if you were actually given more control over the course, speed and altitude of your planes, actually making it a strange squadron-sized 3rd person flight sim) AND there are serious problems with ships that are designed to have powerful AA but that don't actually use their main batteries for AA - so you'd probably need a system where you not just switch the way you use your guns but actually switch the guns treated as "main battery" for the purpose of AA... AND then all of that needs to be balanced. Somehow. Let's put it this way: it sounds like more work (and a bigger change to the game) than the current CV rework AND future submarine implementation put together. I doubt WG will ever be willing to commit resources necessary to make it work.

[BONI]
Players
1,249 posts
11,102 battles

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to have your dual-purpose main guns ''destroyed' for AA purposes while still being able to shoot at surface targets?

[KG_CZ]
[KG_CZ]
Beta Tester
103 posts
8,613 battles
57 minutes ago, MoveZig said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to have your dual-purpose main guns ''destroyed' for AA purposes while still being able to shoot at surface targets?

No

Sign in to follow this