You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ronchabale

Any tips on how to play tier 8 DD:s in the perm spotted meta

99 comments in this topic

Players
421 posts
5,676 battles

Struggling as soon as a carrier is in game, if it aint the carrier spotting u its radar and with MM mostly giving u tier 10 games it is almost impossible

Any tips apart from not playing tier 8 DD:s

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
5,911 posts
7,190 battles

For me it feels like:

- Dont play DD unless it has somewhat good AA

- Try to play with Divisions

- Dont play Cruisers unless Minotaur or Worcester aka something with good AA. Lowtier Cruiser vs hightier CV sucks aswell.

- BBs can most of the time ignore the spotting disadvantage because they can hang back further and dont evaporate if they are spotted. CVs wont target you when you are not first in line either.

Maybe play ranked if you wanna play DD :cap_haloween:

• Cool 10

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
785 posts
4,478 battles

With two carriers it's kinda hard. But when there is one look which side the CV is going to with her planes. Most of the time they stick there to one flank to do continuous damage. 

Otherwise stick to a few teammates with decent AA. Try to get them with you and push for a cap. 

Higher tier DD gameplay is not really fun atm. It is really dependent on what team you get. 

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
3,600 posts
14,122 battles

Press 'p' at the start of the battle to turn AA off. Don't wander off too far without an exit route or smoke ready. ..you may want to switch Torp reload booster for smoke.

Tell me which dd is unplayable in the current meta.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

Players
421 posts
5,676 battles
39 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Press 'p' at the start of the battle to turn AA off. Don't wander off too far without an exit route or smoke ready. ..you may want to switch Torp reload booster for smoke.

Tell me which dd is unplayable in the current meta.

Been trying to play Asashio With torp accelel and surviv exp 14p captain 

Got rid of conc expert, seemed not to make much difference with 5.4 or 6 km detect as planes and radar mostly are the problem.
AA is turned off, tried to play close to or around AA cruisers or BB:s

Got lucky a few games and did some damage / kills yesterday but today tier 10 carrier games all the time and mostly bad experiences

Seems as soon as a tier 10 carrier is in the game it doesnt work, even tier 8 carriers make it almost impossible 

shot-19.02.08_20.41.08-0640.jpg

shot-19.02.08_20.41.07-0927.jpg

shot-19.02.08_20.41.12-0965.jpg

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,600 posts
14,122 battles

I'd go back to CE while you can change it for free. CE still makes a huge difference for dds and for 14p IJN dd, I don't see many better options. I don't have Asashio, but it seems to be a ship which you could play more conservatively a still be effective.

edit: ..and to be clear, AA should come on when plane spotted..

• Cool 1

Players
4,141 posts
7,641 battles

Yea, Asashio beeing in trouble makes sense, because BBs are hanging back even more in CVs games then they used to be. Shinonome is also completly effed in 2x CV games. You get literally nothing done.

• Cool 1

Players
421 posts
5,676 battles
Alle 10/2/2019 alle 21:28, ForlornSailor ha scritto:

Yea, Asashio beeing in trouble makes sense, because BBs are hanging back even more in CVs games then they used to be. Shinonome is also completly effed in 2x CV games. You get literally nothing done.

That is why I went with torp accel for the ambushes, but loitering around waiting for a BB to appear / hoping that no radar cruiser gets in range or spotted by planes is not easily done

Alle 10/2/2019 alle 21:28, loppantorkel ha scritto:

I'd go back to CE while you can change it for free. CE still makes a huge difference for dds and for 14p IJN dd, I don't see many better options. I don't have Asashio, but it seems to be a ship which you could play more conservatively a still be effective.

Felt to me like 6 km without conc expert (5.4 with) mostly puts u at the top conc wise anyway, the extra hp puts u at 17900 hp meaning that u can survive one more hit

I dunno tho.. u are probably right.

Thing is if Asashio is in the game BB:s play very carefully and CV:s always try to locate u

ok rebuilding

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

You need to understand that many CV players priority match start is find capping DD, so they lauch rocket fighters 1st thing. The will come soaring to caps and start searching. They drop  fighter consumable to cover their own hide and that of their side capping DD,  if the enemy does the same the rocket fighters wont be hurt by it becasue  those consumable fighters engage each other. When they find DD they attack them. If own side DD discover enemy DD and start fighting with them another rocket fighter squadron may be launced, or redirected toward it.

If this fase is finished CV will switch to torpedo or divebombers as to attack the bigger ships. These are unsuitable to attack DD so a smart DD waits for this.

Solution :

1) Do not rush to caps.  If you are not there, you cannot be found ! 

2) If you do rush to cap have more powerful AA ships following you

3) Ignore caps for the time being and use gaps in the enemy lines to sneak through.....enemy CV is a juicy fat prize.

4) Ignore caps for the time being and wait for mid game oppertunities to unfold. There are always lone ships that can be attacked and killed and with a chance of no interference. You can only use these oppertunities when still alive....

Afterall DD dont have to cap start match. You just need eyes on caps to prevent the enemy capping it. There are more ways of doing that, besides capping it with DD. Everyone afterall complains CV see everything. Lurking near the cap to spot enemy DD while under heavy AA protection AND stealth can be a lot smarter. If the enemy CV is smart he will "bee line spot" well out of AA range of bigger ships. That is where DD could/should be, waiting for oppertunities, lurking from stealth and meanwhile spotting a thing or two.

• Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
3,280 posts
8,363 battles

My suggestions/feelings are as follows, for what it's worth (in no particular order):

• Don't even try with most IJN torp boats and/or anything else with poor AA (if you really must play them, expect to spend much of the game hanging round your bigger friends, to make use of their AA umbrella).
  • Actively 'good' choices are the US DDs, with C hulls, or otherwise good AA, plus some of the Russians; you want to be able to equip Def AA. These things don't usually have amazing stealth, often just 'good enough', so they haven't had to give up too much on other respects.
  • Early game, your aim is to be actively ambushing planes, getting spots on the enemy, but always ensure you have hard cover to get behind when you do get spotted - planes will rarely kill you, but their boaty friends will.
  • Radar is still the same as it ever was (more or less - slight changes upcoming), so do what you were doing already (hopefully) to counter it.
  • Leave your AA off until the planes actually spot you, then activate it (preferably with Def AA, if it isn't on cooldown) - P is the AA (and secondaries) toggle; activating Def AA will also activate your AA at the same time (fewer clicks/presses). Deactivate afterwards, and repeat.
  • Concealment still matters, not least because you won't get CVs every game, so keep CE/concealment module.
  • Build your DD to maximise AA firepower, but don't go mental - for me, that means any AA upgrade you can fit, plus BFT; I don't bother with AFT or manual AA at the moment. I would at least consider the magic Def AA upgrade (for coal) too - the extra 20% run time on Def AA can be very helpful - I have it on Kidd and Gearing at the moment.
  • Don't get too plane-focused though; the main direct threat is still ships - the main thing that (most - UYME) planes do is knacker your stealth a lot of the time.

The crucial thing though is that the game is still very fluid - we're getting a second hotfix in less than a fortnight early next week; things have already changed a great deal, and probably will still further (the whole excessive spotting thing is allegedly on the radar), so whatever is a sensible recommendation now may become bloody silly next week, and vice versa - keep experimenting!

• Cool 4

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
19 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Then again, while they are hanging back, they are also less mobile and more clustered - that sounds like things that Asashio could actually try using, especially since she doesn't have to get far away from her friendly AA umbrella to torp. And planes won't stop these torps anymore. And there won't be many DDs in the front. And cruisers that have the choice are more likely to have def. AA than hydro. I don't say it's comfortable to see a CV (or, worse, two CVs, especially when they are two tiers above you) but for Asashio specifically it seems like there's a lot of silver lining.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
231 posts
6,547 battles

Be a little more circumspect about capping at the start of the game - wait until you have a good idea where the enemy planes and radar ships are before yoloing into a cap (often this doesn't take long). Keep your AA turned off if it is greater than your air spotting distance and only turn it on if the planes spot you, your priority is not to be detected in the first place. You see the planes long before they see you so keep good awareness and try to steer out of their path and if it looks likely you'll be spotted duck back into friendly AA. You should always try and keep some strong AA cruisers close behind you at the very start of the game for this purpose. You also want to take routes where you can use islands to screen yourself from enemy ships if you are attacked by aircraft - being spotted for the enemy team is usually worse for you than the damage that rocket planes deal out. If you can avoid the initial rocket planes the carriers usually switch to bombers or torps and go hunting larger ships.

If you ever hide in smoke to avoid planes turn off your AA as the tracers give your position away. You can then turn it back on again as they pass by and its too late to strike before moving in your smoke and going silent again.

Usually its better to turn into attack aircraft rather than away as it increases the odds they will overshoot or that torps will fail to arm in time, turning away just gives them longer to aim.

I rarely have huge issues with planes in the early to mid game unless they happen to coincide with some other stuff going wrong (DD or cruiser ambush). Its the late game where I have problems when a lot of my team is dead and I might not have the luxury or friendly AA bubbles, a large hp pool or available consumables.

• Cool 2

Players
719 posts
8,451 battles
19 hours ago, Unknown_Lifeform said:

Usually its better to turn into attack aircraft rather than away as it increases the odds they will overshoot or that torps will fail to arm in time, turning away just gives them longer to aim.

Yeah. Constantly turning into planes can annoy the player enough he leaves you alone, of course you also get shelled from all over the map while spotted. The rockets do very little damage if you get a waggle on and turn into them. Without the 3 squadron attacks from pre 8.0.0 torps can largely be ignored and dive bombers are very hit and miss. In high tier Pan Asian and US DDs, I find that the spotting is far more of an issue than the attacks.  I only really notice planes - beyond the spotting - if it's a concerted effort by both carriers. 

• Cool 2

Players
6,935 posts
8,792 battles
48 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

Yeah. Constantly turning into planes can annoy the player enough he leaves you alone, of course you also get shelled from all over the map while spotted. The rockets do very little damage if you get a waggle on and turn into them. Without the 3 squadron attacks from pre 8.0.0 torps can largely be ignored and dive bombers are very hit and miss. In high tier Pan Asian and US DDs, I find that the spotting is far more of an issue than the attacks.  I only really notice planes - beyond the spotting - if it's a concerted effort by both carriers. 

IJN attackers and Freedom Tiny Tims have longitudinal spread, so going bow on is invitation for extra spanking

Players
719 posts
8,451 battles
19 hours ago, Panocek said:

IJN attackers and Freedom Tiny Tims have longitudinal spread, so going bow on is invitation for extra spanking

Not that I've noticed. A couple rockets or all astern is the usual result. 

[SM0KE]
Players
3,280 posts
8,363 battles

Oh yeah, something to be mindful of (although I suspect most people know this already): although, as a DD, you have a pretty low detection range from the air, you can spot aircraft from quite a lot further away.

Aircraft get Sixth Sense though, so this is a damn nuisance - even if they can't see you, the planes know you're nearby, as soon as their SS goes off. Essentially, it gives aircraft a proximity alert, regardless of how sneaky your DD is...

Players
817 posts
5 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

Been trying to play Asashio With torp accelel and surviv exp 14p captain 

Got rid of conc expert, seemed not to make much difference with 5.4 or 6 km detect as planes and radar mostly are the problem.
AA is turned off, tried to play close to or around AA cruisers or BB:s

Got lucky a few games and did some damage / kills yesterday but today tier 10 carrier games all the time and mostly bad experiences

Seems as soon as a tier 10 carrier is in the game it doesnt work, even tier 8 carriers make it almost impossible 

I said the same thing yesterday. I do think the Asashio will not work as well like it did with all the planes and them being able to cross the map to different places pretty fast. It's a weak ship with poor speed and manoeuvrability, if it gets spotted by a plane near any enemy ships it's a gonna. Which the way things are now in the game, that's a high risk factor it will happen even trying to stay 15k away from enemy BB.

CV are spotting all around where their own ships go, so they can open fire on targets

Players
1,982 posts
10,764 battles
1 hour ago, Panocek said:

Playing both CV and DD, i would be pretty annoyed if a DD keeps on wriggling and make hard turns whenever im on an attack run and temporary give up attacking him:Smile_veryhappy:

I had a match in the Haku where 1 squad of attack planes lowered a Gearing to less than 1/4 health (pre-hotfix). The problem was that the Gearing kept on slowing down and sail straight with very minor direction change, making it very easy to adjust the aim of the attack planes.

The attack circle takes time to get smaller for more accurate shots, so it will irritate the CV and lessen the damage taken.

[JRM]
Players
2,446 posts
17,281 battles

Tips?

1) Dont play t8 dds

2) If you have to, pray for a match without a CV

3) Always take smoke, the more you have the better

4) Keep an eye on enemy planes and try to awoid caps that are kept spotted by cv

Optionally you can take out kiev and dakka at max speed and range making it real hard for enemy cv to get you, its hardly classic dd play though...

• Cool 1

Players
4,050 posts
8,845 battles
On 2/10/2019 at 7:26 PM, Ronchabale said:

Struggling as soon as a carrier is in game, if it aint the carrier spotting u its radar and with MM mostly giving u tier 10 games it is almost impossible

Do like this:

Carrier game? If yes, then go look for nearest friendly ship with good AA (like a DM, Wooster, Seattle or Stalingrad), F3 them and move to within 2km asap (but without using speedboost). Bonus if said AA ship also has radar. Second price is for something with hydro due to the more limited range. Range is everything here.

Keep an eye out for what enemy planes are doing at first.

Enemy planes starting hammering down the friendly DD rusher n00b? Then you start doing your usual cap-approach thang (and ask for help. If no friendly AA unit wishes to accompany you or move towards your suggested cap, stay with convoy/guard duties of AA unit until they change their mind).

Depending on skill level of enemy carriers, you can loosen the leash a bit or stay near till enemy carrier looses patience and starts throwing its planes upon allied AA wall and then do your thing.

Cap as usual, as long as there's no planes nearby, everything is basically as it always was except that no planes can spot your torps anymore.

Before entering the cap, ask if your AA cruiser minion want a smoke and give them one. It's good for their long term health and thus also for yours :Smile_Default:

If your AA cruiser minion host dies, find a new AA cruiser minion host ASAP and stay low until you do or until the end game.

If your AA cruiser minion host decides to run away, follow the AA cruiser minion host and resume convoy/spotting duties for it. Rinse repeat till all potential hosts are dead or until the end game.

I think the rest is more like usual game without any carriers, except I tend to prefer capping more I think?

At the end game, you'll know what you have to do as it's actually often the most interesting part of a match and individual skill gets more influential for the outcome.

[POP]
Players
417 posts
9,226 battles

From a piss poor Midway player who does nothing but harrash DDs:

-Don't use AA. Or if you must then only at when planes are inside your aerial detection range. The less time for rocket planes to aim and react to you the better.

-Always go full speed and when you see planes starting their attack run turn towards them.

-Smoke up only when you see the planes going away from you and you know they will come back. If rocket planes are on the ingress and you smoke up while slowing down: Prepare to get full brunt of the rockets.

-Hug an island if possible. Especially if there's AA protection from other ships

-If you're all alone in the open water you're SOL.

• Cool 1

[V888]
Players
185 posts
12,252 battles
2 minutes ago, Altsak said:

From a piss poor Midway player who does nothing but harrash DDs:

-Don't use AA. Or if you must then only at when planes are inside your aerial detection range. The less time for rocket planes to aim and react to you the better.

-Always go full speed and when you see planes starting their attack run turn towards them.

-Smoke up only when you see the planes going away from you and you know they will come back. If rocket planes are on ingress and you smoke upo while slowing down: Prepare to get full brunt of the rockets.

-Hug an island if possible. Especially if there's AA protection from other ships

-If you're all alone in the open water you're SOL.

yeah this is good input.

and maybe play Pan Asian line with "perma" smokes, or russian DDs.

Beta Tester
37 posts
1,704 battles
On 2/10/2019 at 6:26 PM, Ronchabale said:

Amen. 

Kagero for example is impossible to play against 1 let alone 2 CVs like last battle had today. 

And to those saying "dont go for cap etc, stick with the team" you write rubbish. I am not the person who will charge headless, but I will have to do so when all the 3 caps are taken and while we have more enemy kills, we are going to lose. At that point in time playing something like a Kagero against 2 cruisers and 1 let alone 2 CVs is impossible. You cannot turn the game like before, when you have headless cruisers running around on your own team. 

Is sickening losing the DDs to rocket planes, especially when you have no option to defend or turn around. Who in WG had that stupid idea?

Didn't realized all those years,  that the majority of the playerbase has no ideas about tactics and teamplay? 

• Cool 6

[SQRL]
Players
284 posts
12,183 battles
38 minutes ago, Fediuld said:

And to those saying "dont go for cap etc, stick with the team" you write rubbish. I am not the person who will charge headless, but I will have to do so when all the 3 caps are taken and while we have more enemy kills, we are going to lose. At that point in time playing something like a Kagero against 2 cruisers and 1 let alone 2 CVs is impossible. You cannot turn the game like before, when you have headless cruisers running around on your own team. 

Very true, before .8.0 a sole DD could try to hold a flank, defend a cap, etc. Now unless the team has a vague idea what to do - you can't do anything. 

Most DDs are 100% reliant on the teams cruisers & BBs in a CV game. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1