You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Warderer

Please give tips on how to be effective in Shokaku when uptiered.

17 comments in this topic

[KHERO]
Beta Tester
60 posts
2,185 battles

Hey everyone.

So... Shokaku. Got her a couple of days ago and honestly I'm extremely disappointed of her so far. The main problem is that of the games, that I have played so far, in 80% of the time I'm uptiered. I have gone full plane protection build and still I cant do anything to tier 9 and 10 ships. The problem is not the flak but the AA bubble of the ships. Its ridiculous that yesterday I lost a whole squadron to a Shima by flying above her. I lost my squadron in less then 2 seconds and I spotted the Shima 1 second into it. So some dds can completely devestate my squadron without me even seeing them? What? Okay I didnt mean to turn this topic into a rant.

I'm not effective at all when uptiered. I basically only spot ships and try to de-cap. I barely average 50-60k dmg.

What can I do to change this?

Any tips and tricks are very welcomed ^-^

[POP]
Players
413 posts
9,164 battles
4 minutes ago, Warderer said:

What can I do to change this?

Wait for patch 0.8.0.2 due in a couple of days.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[UNICS]
Players
3,585 posts
14,096 battles

Lower your expectations when uptiered is my advice. 50-60 damage doesn't sound bad. Maybe others can give you some gameplay advice.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,691 posts

Try to find isolated targets. A same tier BB that is going off alone or something like that. Make sure you spot early game then maybe some of the ships have lost some AA towards the later part of the game. 

• Cool 3

[D_R_M]
Players
905 posts
16,362 battles

*Edited*

This post has been removed due to non-constructive and inappropriate remarks

• Funny 2

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,087 posts
6,321 battles

Don't be over keen to commit a flight, since they probably wont be coming back.

Start with rockets and get the enemy spotted, but stay out of flak bubbles. If you can catch a DD out of air cover then strip some HP off them. Otherwise you want to keep your planes alive and the enemy spotted.

Wait till the enemy start splitting up, and start picking your target. Your DB are your most expendible, and work against cruisers and BB. For BB you want to boost in while steering through flak. You want to drop the bombs at maximum height (better Pen) and boost straight out the flak zone - BB have lots of short range AA so you dont want to remain in it. This means you need not only your approach planned, but also your exit. You dont want to exit into a bunch of other ships flak. If your planes are too low on health after a run, then F them out, but wait till you're out of AA otherwise you'll just lose them.

Against cruisers you need to drop at the last moment to get citadels rather than overpens. For obvious reasons concentrate on low AA targets that are more exposed. Since people are unlikely to be this considerate, choose targets where you wont die immediately before dropping.

If there's no current good targets then stick to spotting, and possible fires from rockets.

Torps are your best weapon, but they're also the one with longest respawn. You ideally want to find a target that has just blown DCP and hit them on the nose for a perma flood. Torps are the one type you cant be wasteful with, at least early in the game. For best results (least plane deaths) you want to start a run about 8km out (while in stealth). Boost at full speed towards them, jinking if needed. This should give just enough time for the cone to close before you drop. Dont try to turn after the drop but instead boost out the otherside. Using zoom and boom from stealth gives you target the least time to react, and the best chance of your planes surviving.

If you get the chance, there are comedy tactics where you use islands to avoid most flak but those are more situational

• Cool 2

[KHERO]
Beta Tester
60 posts
2,185 battles
27 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Don't be over keen to commit a flight, since they probably wont be coming back.

Start with rockets and get the enemy spotted, but stay out of flak bubbles. If you can catch a DD out of air cover then strip some HP off them. Otherwise you want to keep your planes alive and the enemy spotted.

Wait till the enemy start splitting up, and start picking your target. Your DB are your most expendible, and work against cruisers and BB. For BB you want to boost in while steering through flak. You want to drop the bombs at maximum height (better Pen) and boost straight out the flak zone - BB have lots of short range AA so you dont want to remain in it. This means you need not only your approach planned, but also your exit. You dont want to exit into a bunch of other ships flak. If your planes are too low on health after a run, then F them out, but wait till you're out of AA otherwise you'll just lose them.

Against cruisers you need to drop at the last moment to get citadels rather than overpens. For obvious reasons concentrate on low AA targets that are more exposed. Since people are unlikely to be this considerate, choose targets where you wont die immediately before dropping.

If there's no current good targets then stick to spotting, and possible fires from rockets.

Torps are your best weapon, but they're also the one with longest respawn. You ideally want to find a target that has just blown DCP and hit them on the nose for a perma flood. Torps are the one type you cant be wasteful with, at least early in the game. For best results (least plane deaths) you want to start a run about 8km out (while in stealth). Boost at full speed towards them, jinking if needed. This should give just enough time for the cone to close before you drop. Dont try to turn after the drop but instead boost out the otherside. Using zoom and boom from stealth gives you target the least time to react, and the best chance of your planes surviving.

If you get the chance, there are comedy tactics where you use islands to avoid most flak but those are more situational

Thats very helpful actually. Thank you!

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
1 hour ago, Warderer said:

yesterday I lost a whole squadron to a Shima by flying above her. I lost my squadron in less then 2 seconds and I spotted the Shima 1 second into it.

There was something else. Maybe smoked up so you didn't notice. Even flying into any available flak (of which she produces pitiful amounts) you probably wouldn't be able to lose a whole squadron to Shima's AA alone, not in two seconds, at least (even if the planes in the flak would die, Shima just doesn't spawn enough to let you fly the entire squadron through it - squadrons are too spread out for that to work).

[KHERO]
Beta Tester
60 posts
2,185 battles
29 minutes ago, eliastion said:

There was something else. Maybe smoked up so you didn't notice. Even flying into any available flak (of which she produces pitiful amounts) you probably wouldn't be able to lose a whole squadron to Shima's AA alone, not in two seconds, at least (even if the planes in the flak would die, Shima just doesn't spawn enough to let you fly the entire squadron through it - squadrons are too spread out for that to work).

It wasnt the flak but the AA bubble of the ship. And what I think happened is that I was boosting right before that moment and probably the game didnt render the ship on time. Still. It was weird :D

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
46 minutes ago, Warderer said:

It wasnt the flak but the AA bubble of the ship. And what I think happened is that I was boosting right before that moment and probably the game didnt render the ship on time. Still. It was weird :D

Well, without flying into flak it's even more certain that you actually suffered mostly from something that wasn't Shima. Could be a ship behind an island or in smoke (you normally see enemy ship a while before they can start shooting at your planes), but as for Shima... let's put it this way: even if you built her for AA (for some reason) she really wouldn't become an AA monster. She could maybe shoot down something from t8 CV, yes, but bringing down an entire squadron (and fast, and with aura bubbles alone) is just impossible.

[COTNS]
Players
216 posts
3,544 battles
1 hour ago, Warderer said:

People have reported of some render delay, so you will take damage as if you went through a flak cloud or multiple, but you never actually see the visual animations of it. 

It happens, primarily during a moment of high ping or packet loss

But it certainly does happen. 

Same thing happens in ships, when you get hit from a shell you swear hit the water instead of you etc. 

[NWP]
Players
5,864 posts
7,147 battles
1 minute ago, kingzy2013 said:

Same thing happens in ships, when you get hit from a shell you swear hit the water instead of you etc. 

Same thing is shells going through the ship and not getting registered.

Before they removed Dynamo, it was kinda frequent to observe there. I think it was because of the speed from the Schnellboote. Usually i had better chance hitting them when my shells landed behind them, rather than in the first 1/3 of the Ship.

There is definetely some desync around, might aswell happen to the planes :fish_book:

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

On top of the good advices on what to attack and what not if it is +2 tier, be sure to know how to work around the accuracy nerfs so you won't lose your aircraft with no XP and credits in return.  I don't mind losing aircraft, i mind having a low reward !

With torpedo and rocket aircraft start the attack as far away as the attack timer allows, mouse aiming only with very slight correction movements narrows the aim so you won't miss if you were leading the target right. Because of the distance you won't need more abrupt (keyboard) steering what will make the aiming window wide. And your torpedo's wont refuse because they had no time to arrm.

With divebombers let go of bombs only just before the aircraft want to pull out of the dive. Your target is then very large ( close) then and missing less probable. I always aim next to intended target and have my bombers pull out over the target. Rarely miss, though sometimes my timer runs out and they do not release. With some practise you get citadel after citadel on some type ships, even tier X.

Players
317 posts
3,726 battles

Damn son, you averaging 60k on Shokaku? You should not be complaining here, instead take your time and write a guide how you exacty managed to deal such a high amount.

36k dmg average trash CV here.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
17 minutes ago, Zlaraki said:

Damn son, you averaging 60k on Shokaku? You should not be complaining here, instead take your time and write a guide how you exacty managed to deal such a high amount.

36k dmg average trash CV here.

I played Shokaku before the latest hotfix with 98k avg. damage... Taking break until they fix it and playing Full secondary Grosse in ranked... So much more fun than just waiting for your planes to be shredded no matter what you do... :P

grosse-ranked.png

[_OPC_]
Players
442 posts
12,520 battles
2 hours ago, Kenliero said:

I played Shokaku before the latest hotfix with 98k avg. damage... Taking break until they fix it and playing Full secondary Grosse in ranked... So much more fun than just waiting for your planes to be shredded no matter what you do... :P

grosse-ranked.png

No worries, I am waiting for history rework by russian / soviets ... not the first time in history.

BTW @MrConway will battleships get the same rework as CVs? you know manual aiming (including waves effecting ccuracy, wind etc? and shooting just from one battery at a time - just like launching squadron of planes)