Zigiran

Premium ship questions

32 comments in this topic

[_FK_]
Players
163 posts
2,297 battles

I have a few questions about premium ships:

1: In the lunar new year containers can be premium ships. Do these come with a slot?

2: If not, what does happen when you open a container but you do not have a spare slot?

3: What happens to a premium ship if you sell it? It offers me credits if I sell it. Can I buy it again for credits if I ever want it back? Or do I need to spent doubloons / coal / something to get it again?

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
  1. Yes
  2. See 1.
  3. You can contact support to return any sold premium ships once every 6 months. You can request multiple ships at the same time.

Players
1,632 posts
16,368 battles

If you want to do #3 from domen's post, you have to have the credits to buy that ship in your account.

I would never sell a premium ship, it's better to play it for the credits. Check the consumables, Lo Yang has smoke and hydro which in combination is lethal to DDs.

[SAVVY]
Players
195 posts
2,715 battles
6 hours ago, domen3 said:
  1. Yes
  2. See 1.
  3. You can contact support to return any sold premium ships once every 6 months. You can request multiple ships at the same time.

Really?

I accidentally sold my Emden once, didn't realise you could get it back.

Players
817 posts
2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Really?

I accidentally sold my Emden once, didn't realise you could get it back.

Yes, you can get it back. As said, you can only do it once every 6 months though, but can request as many premiums back as you wish that was sold. Keep in mind you need to have credits in the bank that you got for selling the ship before, to exchange back for it again. Plus a spare slot that is not taken up.

https://eu.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/help/8583/8584/

Players
2,109 posts
14,358 battles
Vor 20 Stunden, Ze_Reckless sagte:

I would never sell a premium ship, it's better to play it for the credits.

Also. should they ever again sell loot boxes, like they did several times before, and if they keep using similar mechanic again - the more premiums you have in port, the better your chance to get one you don't already have from a loot box, or possibly even get one that you really really want.

Players
457 posts
7,930 battles

There is time limit, you can only request back recently sold ships. I don't know the exact time limit.

Selling premiums is not advised.

If you somehow earn a premium you already have you are usually compensated its price in doubloons instead.

[COMFY]
Players
560 posts
1,408 battles
On 2/11/2019 at 12:48 PM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Also. should they ever again sell loot boxes, like they did several times before, and if they keep using similar mechanic again - the more premiums you have in port, the better your chance to get one you don't already have from a loot box, or possibly even get one that you really really want.

I don’t think that how it works, the chance of getting a boat is the same regardless, but I do think duplicates are heavily reduced in chance.

Players
2,109 posts
14,358 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, howardxu_23 sagte:

I don’t think that how it works,

They SAID it worked like that in the rules they published.

Edit: It didn't increase the rate of ship drops per se. But whenever you did get a ship drop, and you already had the ship that's dropped, in port, the box was converted into a supercontainer with a ship you definitely did not have in port. So that mechanism slightly increased the likelihood to get "something good" if you had more premiums in port in the first place. If you had every ship in port except the Belfast, then the next drop would automatically have been converted into a Belfast.

(Which is why I blew some of the gold from the crates on a Molotov just to push my luck even further.)

Of course your sheer number of premiums did not increase the likelihood of getting a ship drop in the first place, or so the official version went.

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
163 posts
2,297 battles

Thanks for all the answers!

On 2/10/2019 at 5:05 PM, Ze_Reckless said:

If you want to do #3 from domen's post, you have to have the credits to buy that ship in your account.

I would never sell a premium ship, it's better to play it for the credits. Check the consumables, Lo Yang has smoke and hydro which in combination is lethal to DDs.

I was considering to sell my Charleston. I got it for free for being a new player. But since there always are tons of missions to do and all of them require at least a T5 ship, I never use it.

Which is quite a shame, because I loved playing the st. louis when going down the usa cruiser line and the Charleston is the same ship.

But there is no incentive to play a T1 - T4 ship :Smile_sad:

Players
2,109 posts
14,358 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Zigiran sagte:

I was considering to sell my Charleston.

Keep it for sealclubbing, come back to it once you have your first 14-pt US cruiser captain <g> (I hope you're aware that you can swap commanders into premiums any time and back with no retraining required.)

That is also why, the more premiums you have, the more fun you potentially get out of free captn skill point redistribution week.

• Cool 2

Players
817 posts
On 2/11/2019 at 4:26 PM, Raziel_Walker said:

There is time limit, you can only request back recently sold ships. I don't know the exact time limit.

Please don't confuse things. There is no time limit on which you can ask for sold premiums back again. The only limit is that you can only do it once every 6 months, but every 6 months you can ask for as many back as you wish that was sold. Just so long as you have the cash credit you got for them and spare ship slots available to get them back.

I can also tell you, if you got one of the premium ships that can only be got by freeing up XP, the ship cost you 1 credit to buy after freeing up the XP for it such as Nelson. You can sell that ship, then still buy it back again for the same 1 credit without you needing to contact WG. You can buy back a sold (XP premium ship), whenever you want, you don't even need wait 6 months after selling it. You just use the tech tree in-game to buy it back again for 1 credit

[MUMMY]
[MUMMY]
Players
200 posts
6,746 battles

I personally wouldnt bother with premium ships; you pays your money then WG may nerf it.

Check this thread out before you think of parting with money and make up your own mind.

If you dont like any changes WG make to the ship that you bought, the best you will get is doubloons, not a cash refund.

Players
1,632 posts
16,368 battles
7 hours ago, Zigiran said:

But there is no incentive to play a T1 - T4 ship :Smile_sad:

Do you need an incentive, other than to relax with a fun boat in low tiers? Also, you can retrain American captains with a premium ship as Nautical_Metaphor said. Example: Move captain from Phoenix to Omaha, start retraining, put captain on premium ship (not retrain!) and play without skill penalty until the retraining is done.

And besides, what do you get for a tier 3? 200k, 300k credits? Isn't it better to play 3 or 4 battles, earn the credits and keep the ship?

Players
457 posts
7,930 battles
14 hours ago, MRGTB said:

Please don't confuse things. There is no time limit on which you can ask for sold premiums back again.

Maybe WG policy changed? I will attempt to make a new ticket to request back the Shinonome I sold. My ticket about this in 2017 was denied at the time.

edit: Looked back to my previous ticket about this issue: june 22nd 2017 I was told " We are able to restore a premium ship to your account but as a one-time restoration,- but only one time and only if the ship has been sold within the last 2 months. "

Players
817 posts
55 minutes ago, Raziel_Walker said:

but only one time and only if the ship has been sold within the last 2 months.

Hmm, don't see anything said about that one. And if you're only allowed now to ask for ships to be restored every 6 months, then it would be impossible for you to sell a another prem ship now ( if you just had one restored) and ask for it back in 6 months time, as that would be well over the 2 months allowed to claim a ship back. So maybe the policy rules did change since you last asked.

I'll find out myself in 6 months time. I plan to ask for a few prem ships back then which will make them all over 2 month old since being sold. I did claim one back this month and tried to claim some others back this week because of the game changes with CV. But was denied it based on the 6 month waiting rule between getting one restored not long ago.

But to be honest the one I did get restored this month, it wasn't over 2 months ago since it was sold. So don't know about that one you're saying? I would just ask again and see what they say now.

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
3 hours ago, Raziel_Walker said:

Maybe WG policy changed? I will attempt to make a new ticket to request back the Shinonome I sold. My ticket about this in 2017 was denied at the time.

edit: Looked back to my previous ticket about this issue: june 22nd 2017 I was told " We are able to restore a premium ship to your account but as a one-time restoration,- but only one time and only if the ship has been sold within the last 2 months. "

The refund policy had changed, yes and I can confirm it works

[SM0KE]
Players
3,268 posts
8,319 battles
23 hours ago, Zigiran said:

I was considering to sell my Charleston.

Don't.

Never sell a premium ship, ever. It's ludicrously easy to earn the silver in game; you never know when they'll come in handy for something (even if it's just a relaxing muck about at low tiers); the free port slot you'd gain isn't worth the loss of a premium (buy extras on sale - 150 doubloons, or very occasionally, 75, versus the usual 300); plus, as others have said, they eliminate the possibility of getting that ship again from loot boxes (unless you have every premium available).

As alluded to elsewhere though, be very cautious about buying more premium ships at the moment: it looks like WG's established 'never nerf a premium' policy is (sensibly, to be fair) under review, and there is currently no satisfactory outcome decided upon. This means, at time of writing, that you don't have a guarantee that any premium you buy may not get worse at some point, without adequate compensation (look at the various GC threads for more on this).

• Cool 1

Players
457 posts
7,930 battles
21 hours ago, domen3 said:

The refund policy had changed, yes and I can confirm it works

Indeed, policy changed because this time my Shinonome was restored. Thank you WG, now I can go off and complain about radar buffs.

• Funny 1

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,731 posts
12,348 battles
On 2/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, Raziel_Walker said:

This was an old policy that had 2 month timeframe after selling a ship and requesting the restoration. We improved our policies regarding this in late 2018, you can find all relevant information here: https://eu.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/article/22943/

23 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Don't.

Never sell a premium ship, ever. It's ludicrously easy to earn the silver in game; you never know when they'll come in handy for something (even if it's just a relaxing muck about at low tiers); the free port slot you'd gain isn't worth the loss of a premium (buy extras on sale - 150 doubloons, or very occasionally, 75, versus the usual 300); plus, as others have said, they eliminate the possibility of getting that ship again from loot boxes (unless you have every premium available).

As alluded to elsewhere though, be very cautious about buying more premium ships at the moment: it looks like WG's established 'never nerf a premium' policy is (sensibly, to be fair) under review, and there is currently no satisfactory outcome decided upon. This means, at time of writing, that you don't have a guarantee that any premium you buy may not get worse at some point, without adequate compensation (look at the various GC threads for more on this).

Please keep in mind that we're currently testing this for a particular ship - the Giulio Cesare - for balancing reasons. This is still work in progress and not a final decision - you can be sure that such a decision wouldn't be taken lightly and only when it's absolutely necessary to restore game balance.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,268 posts
8,319 battles
1 minute ago, Crysantos said:

Please keep in mind that we're currently testing this for a particular ship - the Giulio Cesare - for balancing reasons. This is still work in progress and not a final decision - you can be sure that such a decision wouldn't be taken lightly and only when it's absolutely necessary to restore game balance.

I'm aware of all that, of course, but I still would advise a newcomer to be *really* careful before buying a premium:

• GC is being tested; it may or may not get changed.
  • The precedent is (very sensibly, in my opinion) set by this testing that premium ships *may* be changed; after all, there are several notorious ones that could probably use it, for the overall health of the game (and I think I own all of them, pretty much).
  • As of now, the *only* compensation being talked about is doubloons (or keeping the changed ship, if it happens) - a currency of limited value to a lot of players. *This* is the crucial bit.

On the whole, I think most (emphasis on 'most') people would accept the necessity of balancing a few premiums for the good of the game - I'm one of them myself FWIW. The problem is the lack of effective compensation: the situation as of now, if the changes come pass, is that a customer might have spent money (actual money) on a thing that may become a thing they don't want, and what they get afterwards they don't want either (such that, had they known, they wouldn't perhaps have made the purchase in the first place), such that they have effectively just thrown their money away.

You must understand why people, in this context, would advise people to avoid buying premiums - it's a matter of confidence.

The problem is mainly not that premiums may be nerfed, it's that a potential purchase may be significantly (or entirely) devalued without adequate compensation (doubloons, or the post-nerf versions of the ship, are not 'adequate').

Right now, and until WG make a definitive statement about what *will* happen with this stuff (assuming people believe you in future), a customer's thought process might be along the following lines:

• I like this ship, it's good, but it costs a lot of money (I could buy Fallout with that...etc.).
  • How much use will I get out of it? Maybe six months and then it *might* get nerfed...
  • I won't get decent compensation...
  • Hmmm, Fallout (or whatever) is looking pretty good.
  • <closes wallet>

If WG decide that *if* a premium needs nerfing, then existing customers will be *generously* (but not excessively so) compensated (see suggestions elsewhere; it's not hard for a good customer relations person to design) then the thought process may switch to something more along the following lines:

• I like this ship, it's good, but it costs a lot of money (I could buy Fallout with that...etc.).
  • How much use will I get out of it? Maybe six months and then it *might* get nerfed...
  • Hold on, if that happens, I'll actually be better off - thinks of WG compensation scheme already in place for GC (say) etc.
  • Yay, win-win; I either get a ship that lasts as long as I play this game, or something even better.
  • <opens wallet>

Everyone will have different views on what should/shouldn't get nerfed, but with a proper (and trusted) compensation scheme/methodology in place, the customer has the assurance that their purchase won't be devalued (the reverse, in fact) if they buy it, apart from occasional system changes and/or power creep etc. that, I think, most people understand. With such a scheme in place, it won't *matter* (as much) if your purchase gets nerfed, because you'll get something better instead.

As it stands, I can't recommend anyone buys any premium ships at the moment because I wouldn't want to recommend people buy something that might turn out to suck in six months (say), or just decreases in value, with nothing to show for it in return. Intellectually, I'm fairly confident that most premiums will probably be left alone, but I don't *know* that, and all indications so far are that if it did happen, purchasers would be (essentially) SOOL.

The whole business with actively selling loot crates when WG must have known this stuff was upcoming (multiple references have been made by WG in the past to the long time-frames involved in making changes to the game) muddy the waters a bit, and further erode trust, but I believe the above is the crux of the issue, and is why I (and others, perhaps) will continue to advise people against buying premiums for the time being (unless they have too much money and/or are only buying them in expectation of a few weeks/months fun)...

(BTW if you do introduce a compensation scheme, call it something Marketing like "Honest WG's Splendid Compensation Guarantee", write some blurb about how the customer will always be sorted if they buy a premium, give it a natty logo, and stick the bugger on the bottom of every premium ship's selling page - hey presto, a pain-in-the-glutes thing that you only have to use occasionally actually becomes a positive selling point for every premium in the shop.)

Players
419 posts
5,672 battles

Never sell a premium ship that you aint happy with..

You need to keep these mediocre and bad ships as "vaccine" against getting them again in a santa container. :Smile_trollface:

On 2/12/2019 at 5:17 PM, howardxu_23 said:

I don’t think that how it works, the chance of getting a boat is the same regardless, but I do think duplicates are heavily reduced in chance.

The only "duplicate" i ever got was the Boise / Nuevo de julio which are statwise exactly the same ship, still they are different in the sense that u can use any US captain in the Boise, Nuevo is just lesser in that sense. (also useless if u have the Boise)

I have all the premium ships above tier 3 except Stalingrad, Black and Bourgogne

The Nelson, Missouri, Musashi I got from free xp the rest I either bought or got from santa boxes.

This Christmas I got 16 premium ships from crates (about 500 euros worth of them), only funny thing was the way the so called "randomizer" worked, it "randomly" saved the best 3 ships to the end, last 4 ships it gave me were the Gremyashy, Kutusov,  Kronstadt and Nikolai in that order, however I did get the Kamikaze earlier in like the 4th/5th box 

All very "random" ...

(I already had the GC and Belfast)

• Cool 1

[COMFY]
Players
560 posts
1,408 battles
On 2/15/2019 at 7:10 AM, Ronchabale said:

The only "duplicate" i ever got was the Boise / Nuevo de julio which are statwise exactly the same ship, still they are different in the sense that u can use any US captain in the Boise, Nuevo is just lesser in that sense. (also useless if u have the Boise)

I have all the premium ships above tier 3 except Stalingrad, Black and Bourgogne

The Nelson, Missouri, Musashi I got from free xp the rest I either bought or got from santa boxes.

This Christmas I got 16 premium ships from crates (about 500 euros worth of them), only funny thing was the way the so called "randomizer" worked, it "randomly" saved the best 3 ships to the end, last 4 ships it gave me were the Gremyashy, Kutusov,  Kronstadt and Nikolai in that order, however I did get the Kamikaze earlier in like the 4th/5th box 

All very "random" ...

(I already had the GC and Belfast)

In the meantime I’m getting nothing but camos and flags from every box that I acquire, while my brother has just gotten the Iran crusier from a box, along with the Perth from a Santa crate.*edited* .The only consolation that I can get is that he is still figuring out how to play either of them(basically, current situation is he goes in, then he goes boom)

Edited by G_Bg_82
edited due to off topic content

Players
419 posts
5,672 battles
On 2/15/2019 at 10:56 AM, howardxu_23 said:

In the meantime I’m getting nothing but camos and flags from every box that I acquire, while my brother has just gotten the Iran crusier from a box, along with the Perth from a Santa crate.*edited* .The only consolation that I can get is that he is still figuring out how to play either of them(basically, current situation is he goes in, then he goes boom)

I bought like 80 huge crates got 1-2 ships every batch of 10

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
163 posts
2,297 battles
On 2/13/2019 at 1:34 AM, Ze_Reckless said:

Do you need an incentive, other than to relax with a fun boat in low tiers? Also, you can retrain American captains with a premium ship as Nautical_Metaphor said. Example: Move captain from Phoenix to Omaha, start retraining, put captain on premium ship (not retrain!) and play without skill penalty until the retraining is done.

And besides, what do you get for a tier 3? 200k, 300k credits? Isn't it better to play 3 or 4 battles, earn the credits and keep the ship?

I have a limited play time and tons fo T5 missions.

I do know I can use premiums to retrain captains, but I'm already at T6 with the USA cruiser line with a 10 point captain, so I guess that would take a long time to retrain in the Charleston (I used to free captain retraining last week to retrain my captain for the T6 cruiser).

Also, the reason why I was condering to sell the ship was the port slot, not the credits.

14 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

Never sell a premium ship that you aint happy with..

You need to keep these mediocre and bad ships as "vaccine" against getting them again in a santa container. :Smile_trollface:

Yes, I have decided to keep the Charleston for this reason. I might not use it often, but it might give me a better (read: hopefully a T5 or higher) ship from boxes.

Thanks everybody for all the tips and advice! :Smile_glasses:

Sign in to follow this