You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Beastofwar

Possibility to surrender to end match quicker

Is possible surrender acceptable to end machtes sooner ?   

167 members have voted

1. 1. Is possible surrender acceptable to end machtes sooner ?

• Yes
    • No
    • I am undecided

61 comments in this topic

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

Many matches end in the whole enemy team defeated but one or two, that try to flee or hide lenghtening the time the match takes to finish. This is no doubt unwanted by players and even by WG as it could lenghten waiting queue's

What about the possibility to surrender, an option that becomes only available if 1) you are the only one or two left, 2) the tickets of your side are so much lower then the enemies tickets so that you cannot win by any means and 3)  it is obvious that it's just a waste of time to go on by certain programmed additional checks.

As you are losing and get no bonus you might want to end the match sooner too. The remaining ( still alive ) players of the winnig team should be rewarded as to have sunk the surrendering ships. Or only the ones that were capable of doing that ( near enough) at the time .

As it stands you are not penalized for sinking as higher repair costs, but many players seem not no know this. And flee to save their ship. This could be an acceptable/more obvious choice for them.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 9

[NWP]
Players
5,893 posts
7,177 battles

And who is supposed to accept that surrender? The ships alive? Why would they, they are running away/hiding as it is. In case they are not hiding, it would lower your XP gain - i wouldnt do such a thing.

Dead players cant accept surrender, as they would lower the XP gain from the ships alive (or they might have left the battle already).

So all in all, not a good idea. I wouldnt like it.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

You have a point. I guess the remaining players get to vote if they want  ( as certain games present a next map choice to be won by majority votes )

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
267 posts
14,038 battles

I'm aware that my repair costs stay the same whether I survive or not, and in such a situation I flee every time. Why? Because I believe that if someone wants a ribbon for sinking me, they should earn it, I'm not going to gift it to them. Also, it is good practice for those situations where you have not lost yet, and actually need to flee and survive.

• Bad 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,209 posts

Keep fighting. Even the worst situations can sometimes still result in a win.

I'd neither offer nor accept any surrender.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
252 posts
11,604 battles

It's a very good idea. If the whole team surrenders the game ends, instead of being uselessly connected to the battle so as not to be penalized.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
32 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Many matches end in the whole enemy team defeated but one or two, that try to flee or hide lenghtening the time the match takes to finish. This is no doubt unwanted by players and even by WG as it could lenghten waiting queue's

What about the possibility to surrender, an option that becomes only available if 1) you are the only one or two left, 2) the tickets of your side are so much lower then the enemies tickets so that you cannot win by any means and 3)  it is obvious that it's just a waste of time to go on by certain programmed additional checks.

As you are losing and get no bonus you might want to end the match sooner too. The remaining ( still alive ) players of the winnig team should be rewarded as to have sunk the surrendering ships. Or only the ones that were capable of doing that ( near enough) at the time .

As it stands you are not penalized for sinking as higher repair costs, but many players seem not no know this. And flee to save their ship. This could be an acceptable/more obvious choice for them.

I've seen games that have a "surrender" option. Sometimes it's necessary to have a way out like that, but even then the "which idiot is blocking the surrender vote!?" discussions are ugly. And if you restrict it to a situation with just one player, then the option becomes meaningless because the situations where hunting down a lone survivor takes a lot of time (AND both the clock and point count allow for that) are exceedingly rare.

• Cool 1

4,668 posts
9,154 battles

What if I as part of the winning team don't want the enemy to surrender but club them to pieces? Can I decline an offer for surrender?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[TRID]
Players
104 posts
3,955 battles
21 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

not needed. if you want to surrender you just yolo the enemy team ...

Which I think would happen even sooner if such a mechanic existed. As soon as you see enough ships on your team go down the battle might end via surrender so why bother trying to stay alive, best in to get a little more XP, forget the chance of a win. I don't think it would be a good idea. Always fight to the last :Smile_izmena:

• Bad 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
19 minutes ago, eliastion said:

........AND both the clock and point count allow for that are exceedingly rare.

Not so rare......i see a lot of CV - since there are more CV now -  flee to far off corners of the map if everyone around them has sunk. CV can do that  because they were often remote from the battle and often can develop quite high speeds eluding persuiers for quite some time. Meanwhile they can thwart attempts to cap the winning zone by long range aircraft attacks, or kill some of their damaged persuiers which does nothing for their team but slow their defeat. Up to a point the timers ends the match. And they get the initial choice to surrender, if they rather fight/flee on they dont have to !

DD can do that even more succesfully because they have stealth, and can remain ellusive untill the timer runs out.

In both cases its a map without more then 2 cap zones ofcourse, and an enemy team that is winning but have lost half of their own ships too not covering large area's of the map.

I don't say you cannot find/catch up with those fleeying defeated players at all....the map has boundries....i say it will take time to find them, meanwhile not scoring anything both sides,  in which you could already be in another match.

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
495 posts
10,622 battles

Exactly what I was thinking! Montjoie Saint Denis! Break out the Champagne and baguettes mes amis! 

My French half allows for at least one surrender joke, ok? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,267 posts
7,676 battles

While it may end the game sooner you would be denying the enemy ships the chance to do more damage (assuming that the last ship was found and in range of someone) so more credits and XP.

I'd prefer more credits and XP to be honest rather than finishing a battle a minute or two earlier.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
26 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Not so rare......i see a lot of CV - since there are more CV now -  flee to far off corners of the map if everyone around them has sunk. CV can do that  because they were often remote from the battle and often can develop quite high speeds eluding persuiers for quite some time. Meanwhile they can thwart attempts to cap the winning zone by long range aircraft attacks, or kill some of their damaged persuiers which does nothing for their team but slow their defeat. Up to a point the timers ends the match. And they get the initial choice to surrender, if they rather fight/flee on they dont have to !

So...

The one scenario you came up with where it may take considerable time to clean up is a scenario where the last remaining player actually has quite a lot of power to fight off the remaining enemies before they catch up to him? Oh, sounds like something they would do!

Oh, wait, actually I can imagine such a CV using the surrender option... if the player is of the very specific kind - the sort of player that, in WoT, meets the upcoming end of the match by jumping to the nearest body of water instead of fighting (and giving the enemy the option to score a kill). Most often done by artillery, but practiced by tanks of every class if the opportunity arises. Now, the kind of player we're talking about - if sitting in a CV - would be delighted. First he would harass the pursuers with planes as long as possible and then - when finally chased right into his corner and starting to come under enemy fire, he would surrender, ending the battle immediately without giving any of the enemies (that - as you say - actually spent some time uselessly chasing said CV while being harassed by more or less effective air raids) the satisfaction of actually having killed him (or the kill ribbon that might've contributed to someone's Kraken or whatever).

...somehow I don't feel like we have more arguments in favor of the surrender option after having analyzed the most likely version of the "lone CV that would want to surrender rather than fight to the bitter end" scenario :Smile_teethhappy:

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
13 minutes ago, eliastion said:

...somehow I don't feel like we have more arguments in favor of the surrender option after having analyzed the most likely version of the "lone CV that would want to surrender rather than fight to the bitter end" scenario :Smile_teethhappy:

I sometimes would wish for it when deplaned with a tier 8 CV in a tier X match and i am the only one left. But i understand WG is on trying to do something about that without disturbing the balance against tier X aircraft.

Only in operations i sometimes have had the satisfaction of secondary batteries actually sinking a (bot) ship. I have sunk 2 DD in desperation by ramming them with a CV, of which 1 was human. ( and a fool ) And ofcourse sunk a lot of persuing ships with aircraft while fleeying top speed myself.  I delay winning caps too as it gives me a little more points before defeat. I enjoy revenge kills  very much, after my CV is already gone !!!

And i have no other option but to delay defeat. Sometimes i would rather press "surrender" and be quicker in a more enjoyable match if my team was defeated an i am stil there, yes. It happens a lot, in operations more then half of the time !

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
441 posts
14,642 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

u've misspelled pussy in ur name ...

[BFS]
Beta Tester
499 posts

Always, and I mean ALWAYS run away, hide in a corner until the timer runs out.

Why? Because if you really see the battle as lost, and there’s no surrender option, the least you can do is DENY the other team the XP from your ship. Furthermore, the longer you drag the battle, the less their XP is worth vs. time used....

If I feel a game is really lost, THIS I will do, and THIS I do.....

So just give people that surrender button..... hunting someone for 3-4 minutes or longer for that little xp their ship is worth is utter waste of time.

I simply cannot fathom why people find it such a bad idea, especially since xp/time makes it better to go and join a new battle, and when you get there, there’s no more fun in the game.... except for me laughing all my way to the corner to hide for 5 minutes.

• Bad 2

[H_FAN]
Players
2,185 posts
29,709 battles
10 minutes ago, Skurfa said:

Always, and I mean ALWAYS run away, hide in a corner until the timer runs out.

Why? Because if you really see the battle as lost, and there’s no surrender option, the least you can do is DENY the other team the XP from your ship. Furthermore, the longer you drag the battle, the less their XP is worth vs. time used....

If I feel a game is really lost, THIS I will do, and THIS I do.....

So just give people that surrender button..... hunting someone for 3-4 minutes or longer for that little xp their ship is worth is utter waste of time.

I simply cannot fathom why people find it such a bad idea, especially since xp/time makes it better to go and join a new battle, and when you get there, there’s no more fun in the game.... except for me laughing all my way to the corner to hide for 5 minutes.

Because you might want Kraken/High caliber and other achievements (not uncommon in the campaigns or missions) and they are often scored in the dying moments of the game when the match result in itself is given. It is pretty rare that the fights are extremely drawn out, if you are on the losing side Dreadnoughts and such achievements is also often winnable, it is not uncommon for your best results to be in lost/won drawn out fights. If you want to win a basically dead fight you can try some aggresive move which sometimes succeed. To promote early surrender is a crime against the idea. You can turn around hopeless fights sometimes, and if the points are bad (f.e.in domination) the end will not be far away anyway as the points gather fast

[BFS]
Beta Tester
499 posts
1 hour ago, Gnirf said:

Because you might want Kraken/High caliber and other achievements (not uncommon in the campaigns or missions) and they are often scored in the dying moments of the game when the match result in itself is given. It is pretty rare that the fights are extremely drawn out, if you are on the losing side Dreadnoughts and such achievements is also often winnable, it is not uncommon for your best results to be in lost/won drawn out fights. If you want to win a basically dead fight you can try some aggresive move which sometimes succeed. To promote early surrender is a crime against the idea. You can turn around hopeless fights sometimes, and if the points are bad (f.e.in domination) the end will not be far away anyway as the points gather fast

Why would you want those? If you need them, just play tier 2-4 and you’ll be able to get a huge amount.

I know you can turn around matches, done it myself from time to time... there are just those situations where you just don’t want the challenge.

So run and hide, and keep the other team from their precious achivements.... you just gave me another reason to do my best to not dying :cap_cool:

[COTNS]
Players
216 posts
3,544 battles

If compensation was given to the winning team for each person who votes to surrender then sure, wouldn't be worst thing in the world. 

But can imagine it being exploited in anything but random battles. 

Also it would mess up people's games if they were going for a personal best damage done or kills, missions etc etc 

• Cool 1

Players
11 posts
5,766 battles

Fine for clan battles, but random battles are just that.  They are an individual game (yes, an odd word, 'game') where different people have different aims.  Not everyone cares about the single aim of that one screen at the end that says 'Victory' or 'Defeat'.  Some people may be playing to kill as many planes as they can or to survive as many games as they can because it is how they enjoy playing, or to do as much damage as they can before eventually dying.  Often it can be an interesting challenge to try to stay alive until the timer runs out or the points tick to 1000 once it is hopeless.

Randoms should always stay as precisely that.  Introduce whatever you like that is rigid in clan battles because they are the only form of the game that is a team game and where team decisions make any sense, but if someone wants to go into the game and spend 20 minutes sailing round the map without getting killed then I'm fine with that.  It's their right to do whatever they want in their game.

• Bad 1

Players
5,441 posts
6,734 battles

No, because it'd basically be too hard to set up in a way that works well and isn't allowing for situations even more frustrating than the rare game where this option would be useful.