Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldschoolGaming_YouTube

AFT or manual AA for AA cruisers?!

17 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,447 posts
9,655 battles

What has the best effect with the new mechanics for ships like Minotaur or Des Moines? Is it worth it to take AFT on Grozovoi? You of course get longer range for the primarys as well.

[UNICS]
Players
3,600 posts
14,122 battles

I'm testing manual AA on most ships and it's working well I think. I think it's beneficial on dds at least.

Cvs tend to not harass me too much. Maybe it's part of the cv nerf, I can't tell.

[TSCC]
Players
1,767 posts
20,186 battles

In current state Manual AA is better option, in most cases, as Flak damage is significantly reduced while now all three AA sectors, long, middle and short range AA, provide continuous damage to planes . 

• Cool 1

Players
4,141 posts
7,641 battles

Id also go for manual AA. But with the next hotfixes/patches this might all change again. I hope the captain respec will stay or atleast we get another chance, once the balancing is done.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,447 posts
9,655 battles
3 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I'm testing manual AA on most ships and it's working well I think. I think it's beneficial on dds at least.

Cvs tend to not harass me too much. Maybe it's part of the cv nerf, I can't tell.

I was thinking this as well but at the same time I dont know if its worth 4 cap points when we dont even know where CVs gonna land. Dont understand why WG doesnt extend the free respec when they are not finished tweaking the new mechanics?

If theres gonna be fewer CVs in the future i rather take Radio Location or maybe Demo exp.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
50 minutes ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

What has the best effect with the new mechanics for ships like Minotaur or Des Moines? Is it worth it to take AFT on Grozovoi? You of course get longer range for the primarys as well.

AFT is a must for Grozovoi. You can hit very accurately from long ranges. Optimal fighting distance for Grozo is much more than for other boats, I don't even use CE in Grozo(didn't even use in random battles before CV rework), because it works great as gunboat between 10-15km. Also using legendary to get reload down to 3s. For pure AA purposes Manual AA is better, but they will also lower Continuous AA damage, so keep that in mind.

My Build

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,302 posts
8,772 battles

What about Worchester? I intend to share captain with atlanta. AFT is still the most reasonable pick isn't it?

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,274 posts
7,728 battles
1 minute ago, ForlornSailor said:

Id also go for manual AA. But with the next hotfixes/patches this might all change again. I hope the captain respec will stay or atleast we get another chance, once the balancing is done.

While WG are adjusting the game mechanics I'd hope that the period for a free captain respec. would be extended (I'm not sure how long it was supposed to last for - I thought a week or so).

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,447 posts
9,655 battles
1 minute ago, Kenliero said:

AFT is a must for Grozovoi. You can hit very accurately from long ranges. Optimal fighting distance for Grozo is much more than for other boats, I don't even use CE in Grozo(didn't even use in random battles before CV rework), because it works great as gunboat between 10-15km. Also using legendary to get reload down to 3s. For pure AA purposes Manual AA is better, but they will also lower Continuous AA damage, so keep that in mind.

That is a good point, but dont you take a lot of damage if you play it more like a Khaba without consealment?

Beta Tester
1,447 posts
9,655 battles
3 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

What about Worchester? I intend to share captain with atlanta. AFT is still the most reasonable pick isn't it?

I actually use IFHE and Demo exp on Wooster, dont spec that ships specially for AA exept module.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
1 minute ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

That is a good point, but dont you take a lot of damage if you play it more like a Khaba without consealment?

I don't play it like Gearing. I don't go to cap with it. I go between our DD and and cruisers. This way the DD in front of you can cap and anyone who attacks him, you kill right away, because you are so accurate from longer range. Then you can just slaughter radar cruisers from 10-15km. I do that with smoke if there is smoke available, if not, then I just play it like Khaba until I get smoke... You can win battles against cruisers in just open water with Grozo, it is that good with heal.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,302 posts
8,772 battles

I donno about dropping CE on Grozo. Doesnt sound right to me...

But then again... Nothing sounds right with the current state of the game.

• Funny 1

Players
4,141 posts
7,641 battles
5 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Well you need AFT on Atlanta, so... I guess the captains dont sync as good as before, sadly. But if it stays as it is right now, the AA of the Worcester is strong enough either way.

[SCRUB]
Players
3,302 posts
8,772 battles
2 minutes ago, Kenliero said:

I don't play it like Gearing. I don't go to cap with it. I go between our DD and and cruisers. This way the DD in front of you can cap and anyone who attacks him, you kill right away, because you are so accurate from longer range. Then you can just slaughter radar cruisers from 10-15km. I do that with smoke if there is smoke available, if not, then I just play it like Khaba until I get smoke... You can win battles against cruisers in just open water with Grozo, it is that good with heal.

2heals aint much... 3 with SE...

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
1 minute ago, nambr9 said:

I donno about dropping CE on Grozo. Doesnt sound right to me...

You shouldn't be playing Grozo like IJN DD or USN DD. That said dropping CE is not good idea for CW (I played it also in CW earlier), but it is better in randoms without CE. Now with so many planes dropping CE is even better option than before.

Just now, nambr9 said:

2heals aint much... 3 with SE...

3 is a lot, considering you also have 3 smokes, so you also don't take as much open water damage as Khaba. Also you don't take massive AP damage like Khaba does.

• Cool 1

[TSCC]
Players
1,767 posts
20,186 battles
14 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

I you share him with Atlanta then go with AFT. But just for Wooster I would go with MAA. Continuous damage is more reliable and can't be dodged by planes. Also next hotfix will probably additionally nerf Flak damage for T8-T10 ships. I suggest that you wait at least till next hotfix, probably next Thursday and then respec captain.

[UNICS]
Players
3,600 posts
14,122 battles
11 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

Well you need AFT on Atlanta, so... I guess the captains dont sync as good as before, sadly. But if it stays as it is right now, the AA of the Worcester is strong enough either way.

I do Atlanta without AFT. I think it depends on what way you play. ...might be the reason why I can't play Wooster though.. :cap_hmm:

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this