Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

About FDG T9 BB.

22 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
1,897 posts
7,435 battles

Spoiler

bayern.thumb.png.c911b7d3f056204becfe30c7c2127dac.png

So, for a change of pace. Something different.

It's games like this , that are been balancing myself within this Chaos, lately.

this went well, but so much more important  than what I may achieve in a battle, it's the way I  go about it, and having ships that allow me (to a certain point) doing that, became my favourites.

Bayern, it's one of them. it's been his turn to hold my hand through out this  disappointing cv thing (along with others, but I'm focusing on German BB line, now).

Gneisenau, through the UF OP hard mode madness (of all the t7 ships I have, Gneisenau and Schohrs were the only two  punching through that wall)

the only ship that I could put my boot down the bots throats or up their asses, as you prefer.

Spoiler

crap2.thumb.png.31ce37e81bff6d9a06707e18fcb7fd86.png

Then Bismarck came, very different from Gneisenau, it took me longer until I finally clicked with it and while not having been present in a pivot moment yet, I love it (I have screen shots too, but,  you get my point, by now).

The first five ones took me forever to grind, then with this three the grind went into light speed fast  ludicrous  speed.

So, which leads me to FDG. (yeah, I'm almost there)

I'm aware that's considered the Low point of the line by many, I saw some complains about being very slow to manoeuvre ( it's though to came after Gneisenau and Bismarck) and dispersion is bad.

But I'd like to ear your input.

What can I expect?

thank you.

[SCRUB]
Players
1,780 posts
20,343 battles

it always been a beauty, imo always been a good bb either (!!!:Smile_hiding:) and now with ifhe secs just rox sec wise.... njoy :Smile_playing:. dispersion always felt just "german" 2 me.

Players
2,176 posts

FdG is a bit like a fatter, harder to handle Bismarck, it plays much the same, but it's a bigger target. That said it being a big target is just prep for the fatarse that is GK.

I quite liked it, but it can be frustrating as it has the so-so gun performance of the Bismarck and lacks the extra barrels of the GK.

Utterly useless as a sniper of course, it's brawl or don't bother hitting battle button, if you don't plan for incoming torpedoes it will see you eating them very often, WASD hax are not optional.

[DAVY]
Beta Tester
168 posts
8,277 battles

Imo it just felt like a bigger slightly more powerful Bismarck. I did most the FGD with a full secondary setup, so the guns were a bit trolly. Its fun to have 11,6 km secondary range, but you will have to play around the slight trolly guns with such a build. If you don't like sacrificing a little bit of gun accuracy she also works good with a full tank build or even a hybrid.
Just like the Bismarck, Tirpitz,  Kurfurst or even the Gneisenau, the big Freddy is a bully.

[UNICS]
Players
3,585 posts
14,096 battles

There's no reason to play FDG when you've reached GK. I think they buffed FDG a bit, but earlier it was underwhelming and boring. Too big and too bad.

Players
2,176 posts
15 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

There's no reason to play FDG when you've reached GK. I think they buffed FDG a bit, but earlier it was underwhelming and boring. Too big and too bad.

Indeed, I sold it the instant I'd unlocked GK, FdG has no real charm of its own, I kept Bismarck, but FdG is pretty damn dull.

• Cool 3

Players
5,435 posts
6,709 battles
14 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

I admit, I thought that. Till I rebought FdG two days ago for Ranked. I reached my steel goal, thought I'd stop playing carry mode in Neptune, sell the ship given I reached Mino and buy this lulzy piece of crap to see why the SEA server got such WR in it. Frankly, I feel, now with buffs, the FdG is the perfect transition from Bismarck to GK. and that in a positive and negative sense.

FdG for the longest time was a ship I loathed and it still is a ship I regard as one of the most frustrating experiences in my BB life. The turret angles are just garbage and 4 guns isn't a lot. Dispersion is wonky, but honestly, Bismarck was the same. Just, now you are basically a slightly healthier ship with bigger guns that reload in 22.9 seconds and secondaries that hurt. The issue in gameplay for me has always been that Bismarck to me was high point as it handled well enough and everything after it handled considerably less well and really, Bismarck imo is the last BB that is truely competitive, while everything afterward becomes increasingly less competitive. And in that sense, if there weren't occasional reasons to play T10 ships for free stuff, I'd keep FdG over GK. In general though, Bismarck basically is the last German BB I really found good.

Also, as to Ranked, the ship actually isn't bad. 6v6 means you can do pretty lulzy stuff and when you brawl Musashis, they cannot kill you before you flank them, while Jean Barts melt to secondaries and DDs can be zoned out by 6 km hydro and the cruiser firepower reaching out to 11.5 km. It's certainly not the ideal ship to carry games, but certainly for a BB where you don't expect carrying in general, it's one lulzy pick that is more fun than Neptune made out of citadel.

[NWP]
Players
5,864 posts
7,147 battles

Maybe FDG works better now after the buffs. But i wouldnt play it on secondaries. Certainly not in this meta. When i got GK, i had basicly full secondaries. Then i moved away from it by getting CE, because Concealment was just crap. Now with the free captain reskill i went full tankmode. Ditched all secondary stuff and went FP/BoS. Played 2 games today, could totaly ignore fires, got like 3 million potential in both, and even got a secondary kill on a DD.

So imo, if you wanna go for it, go for tank build and it might even work out.

[OSWEG]
[OSWEG]
Players
588 posts
4,699 battles

I hate all german BBs but Bismarck is by far the best in the line. Its smaller, faster and nimbler. FDG is awful, just dreadfully awful. Its big and clumsy, has a long detectionrange, huge superstructure to soak up HE spam. None usable secondaries because youre usually dead if you try to brawl and your guns are so patheticly unreliable. Sometimes they devstrike things and sometimes they cant hit anything for a full game.

And in all honesty GK is the same as FDG but it has slightly better armor and more guns. The extra 4 barrels makes the guns slightly more reliable but theyre still far from reliable.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
23 hours ago, Butterdoll said:

Reveal hidden contents

bayern.thumb.png.c911b7d3f056204becfe30c7c2127dac.png

So, for a change of pace. Something different.

It's games like this , that are been balancing myself within this Chaos, lately.

this went well, but so much more important  than what I may achieve in a battle, it's the way I  go about it, and having ships that allow me (to a certain point) doing that, became my favourites.

Bayern, it's one of them. it's been his turn to hold my hand through out this  disappointing cv thing (along with others, but I'm focusing on German BB line, now).

Gneisenau, through the UF OP hard mode madness (of all the t7 ships I have, Gneisenau and Schohrs were the only two  punching through that wall)

the only ship that I could put my boot down the bots throats or up their asses, as you prefer.

Reveal hidden contents

crap2.thumb.png.31ce37e81bff6d9a06707e18fcb7fd86.png

Then Bismarck came, very different from Gneisenau, it took me longer until I finally clicked with it and while not having been present in a pivot moment yet, I love it (I have screen shots too, but,  you get my point, by now).

The first five ones took me forever to grind, then with this three the grind went into light speed fast  ludicrous  speed.

So, which leads me to FDG. (yeah, I'm almost there)

I'm aware that's considered the Low point of the line by many, I saw some complains about being very slow to manoeuvre ( it's though to came after Gneisenau and Bismarck) and dispersion is bad.

But I'd like to ear your input.

What can I expect?

thank you.

This ship low point of the line? LOOOOOOOOOOL

not anymore.... here is my ranked battle result from today...

73% wins in ranked. IFHE secondary build. L2P issue. Sometimes I feel like it's better than Kurfurst...

rankedbattle.png

• Cool 2

[COMFY]
Players
560 posts
1,408 battles
11 hours ago, Kenliero said:

73% wins in ranked. IFHE secondary build. L2P issue. Sometimes I feel like it's better than Kurfurst.

If I’m correct, some of the kurrywurst secondaries does not get the 1/4 German pen, like the FDG.

Players
5,435 posts
6,709 battles
3 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

If I’m correct, some of the kurrywurst secondaries does not get the 1/4 German pen, like the FDG.

No, all the GK secondaries get 1/4 pen and since recently FdG also only has 1/4 pen on all secondaries.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
15 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

with IFHE skill, all secondaryguns in Kurfurst pen 32mm, just like in FdG.

The difference is that Kurfrust 128mm guns have higher alpha damage than FdG 105mm, but they also have slower reload than FdG.

Players
5,435 posts
6,709 battles
8 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Fred is quite ok now after the buff tbh

Imo, it's kind of the progression you'd expect from Bismarck to GK, so it's fine in that regard. Just in general not the ship everyone might want and not the kind of battleship favoured by the meta. I still consider it one of the weaker T9 BBs and the turret angles make it a bit of a frustrating experience, same as with GK. At least it isn't lagging too much behind, but it certainly is different from Izumo that got buffed from hot garbage to being ugly but now certainly is hard to be dismissed as a force at T9 with increased accuracy, one of the best HE resistances and guns that rival Republique in penetration. 

Players
700 posts
6,024 battles

Im at izumo rn. Now thats a difficult ship to like. You cant do what you want with it, you either play it like it wants or you die and her playstyle is wierd but effective to a point, albeit a little embarrassing as she likes to show her behind too much :O I was also at Bismark and tossed the coin between FDG and Izumo. Went for Izumo since Yamato while not what it was still holds a certain appeal to me. I believe having encountered tons of FDG in games that it is a decent ship. If i found some good qualities in Izumo then my favorite bb line surely has merits and it is a ship i fear and respect. I want to try it cuz i know that i will like it, all german bbs grew on me after a while and i learn how to play them, perhaps im biased as nothing beats the gneis imo (a ship i still have and refuse to sell) as for me its the best experience you can have in my playstyle :)

[L4GG]
Players
1,897 posts
7,435 battles
23 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

Im at izumo rn. Now thats a difficult ship to like. You cant do what you want with it, you either play it like it wants or you die and her playstyle is wierd but effective to a point, albeit a little embarrassing as she likes to show her behind too much :O I was also at Bismark and tossed the coin between FDG and Izumo. Went for Izumo since Yamato while not what it was still holds a certain appeal to me. I believe having encountered tons of FDG in games that it is a decent ship. If i found some good qualities in Izumo then my favorite bb line surely has merits and it is a ship i fear and respect. I want to try it cuz i know that i will like it, all german bbs grew on me after a while and i learn how to play them, perhaps im biased as nothing beats the gneis imo (a ship i still have and refuse to sell) as for me its the best experience you can have in my playstyle :)

That's why I asked about FDG.

Gneisenau it's an exciting ship, one of my top picks.

And I must confess that I have some difficulty in choosing between Gneisenau and Bismarck, which one I choose, the other stays in port for a while, Bismarck is in the dock after being in active duty for a month? I don't really know. And all it takes is a game.

And when I'm playing either one I don't miss the other.

Once more thank you all.

Do you know where you don't have the ship yet but you end up in the "wake" of it's reputation and you "feel" will be good? ( you might like it or not once there)

The majority of the answers (which I'm very appreciated).

are ok, meh, it was worse before the buff, and so on, in those lines.

As I don't have a way  to compare, so...

Can I say or expect some of the same drawbacks of Gneisenau/Bismarck without necessary their full up sides? (For being slower and bigger)

Or is more like Bayern (took me a while to see it's capabilities)?

And now (despite being slower and sluggish) it can be as good as the Gneisenau and Bismarck.  

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

Before the buffs I hated it with passion, and now it is one of my favourite ships. Just go full IFHE build, exploit islands to get closer, but don't push too much too early and your secondaries will be devastating in the later part of the game. 22.9s reload in low caliber main guns is also nice to compensate your bad dispersion, but they are great inside secondary range. It's like Gneisenau in steroids.

Players
5,435 posts
6,709 battles
On 2/12/2019 at 2:40 AM, lossi_2018 said:

Izumo certainly isn't Gneisenau. But neither is FdG. Only ship that plays like it a bit is maybe Tirpitz, but nothing beyond it, truely until they might release some T9 German premium "cruiser" based on O-class design or so.

Frankly, German BBs were the first line I got to T9 and I had fun in all of them till FdG. FdG was a piece of trash. Kurfürst that came after it, when I got it felt a bit too much like a brawling meme. It's good at what it does, but feels a bit too much locked into that for my tastes. I actually rebought FdG after recent buffs from the creds I got from CV rework (having all those 6th slot mods...) and frankly, the FdG basically offers most of what you want from GK, but in a more compact (thus less unmaneuverable) platform. Just for the fun of playing them, I thus have to say, I basically value Gneisenau most in line and every subsequent ship a little bit less now (just alone because every subsequent ship gets a little bit less favoured by the meta, crapping on slow T5s, T6s and partially T7s in a T7 ship with torps is different from being in a T10 match where you have no speed advantage, no torps and just a lot of hp and short reload).

Izumo meanwhile basically teaches you how to play Yamato. Yamato has many of the same traits, just a more vulnerable citadel and slower but bigger shells that are a slight bit more accurate. Both are not very maneuverable, both have to consider when they can fire 9 guns and when to stick to 6, both have 57 mm deck that imo is the best deck at T9 and 10 (at T9, FdG goes up to 80, but beyond 51 it makes little difference and Izumo gets less superstructure. FdG and GK still do have good decks though). So, if you really aim for Yamato, Izumo is your best teacher (or Musashi, if you got her). And I can tell you, Izumo and Yamato, while being easier to citadel and not having good IFHE secondaries (for non-IFHE, these secondaries are actually not bad though, just not worth speccing into much over other things), their gunnery is far more satisfying than that of any German I had. But that's what you'd expect from IJN BBs.

• Cool 1

Players
3,068 posts
245 battles

This ship reminds me of the E75 in world of tanks the tank german tier 9 equivalent which for different but kinda similar reasons.

The E75 was a decent and even a very good tier 9 heavy tank (brawler, chokepoint holder, spearhead, 1st line assualt). now it's a sad former shell of it's self like the E100.

Although its nice to see that the FDG finally got some buffs though.

Sign in to follow this