Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zlaraki

Can shima challenge the meta?

13 comments in this topic

Players
317 posts
3,726 battles

I was thinking if all the ships are just hugging each other, would shima's 20km torp spam finaly find its use? You may end up hitting CV as well as they're still hesitating which route to pick.

Beta Tester
2,187 posts
6,441 battles
2 minutes ago, Zlaraki said:

I was thinking if all the ships are just hugging each other, would shima's 20km torp spam finaly find its use? You may end up hitting CV as well as they're still hesitating which route to pick.

If you want to hit stuff with torps past 12km in the current metta i think Asashios torps are the better option, because to hit anything past 10km with shimas 20km torps with 2.5km detection and theyr slow the target has to be asleep or playn standing still, though you can get the random hit on the proffesional potato but thats really rare. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

Players
317 posts
3,726 battles

Amazing. I feel with a bit of tweaking here and there this might actualy work.

shot-19.02.10_01.44.53-0120.jpg

shot-19.02.10_01.46.51-0306.jpg

• Funny 3

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,267 posts
7,676 battles
14 minutes ago, Zlaraki said:

Going by those results (a replay may help) I don't think it's tweaking you need to do it's a rethink.

I dread to think how many credits you lost in that game.

What Major_Damage225 posted makes sense but the Asashio doesn't really have any AA and the enemy CV would make a mess of you if they decided to hunt you.  Since the CV rework I've finally decided ot only take out DDs that have some AA to defend yourself with.

[-AP-]
Players
1,729 posts
4,182 battles
Just now, BrusilovX said:

Going by those results (a replay may help) I don't think it's tweaking you need to do it's a rethink.

What Major_Damage225 posted makes sense but the Asashio doesn't really have any AA and the enemy CV would make a mess of you if they decided to hunt you.  Since the CV rework I've finally decided ot only take out DDs that have some AA to defend yourself with.

I decided to only take out my kita in ranked, dds are unplayable in randoms atm... Still tho, ive somehow held 73% wr so far this season, kita is glorious.

Players
719 posts
8,430 battles

Use Yueyang. I'm getting  quite a few random hits from ships being so close together. Even Gearing with the 16 km torps should work

I'm still amazed anyone plays IJN torpedo DDs with all the other options around.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,187 posts
6,441 battles
17 minutes ago, BrusilovX said:

I only mentioned Asashio because OP mentioned 20km toros and cv in his post :Smile_Default:

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,267 posts
7,676 battles
2 minutes ago, Major_Damage225 said:

I only mentioned Asashio because OP mentioned 20km toros and cv in his post :Smile_Default:

Yes, I understand the bit about the torps being harder to spot - I have one myself (both a Shimakaze and a Asashio).  I used to try to play the Asashio like a normal DD taking caps and spotting and also taking the opportunity to send torps into areas the enemy ships were hiding or likely to be.  I mostly played the Asashio for the LOLs but I don't really like torps that can only hit BBs and CVs - if it was a gunboat then that would be another matter but then it would be OP.

But since the CV rework and hotfix I've not taken either out in a random game - I had PTSD the other day after I took out my Sims and was given the attention of a Ryoko for the whole game it wasn't fun (and I can't see the point of a DD that keeps back with the cruisers.

• Cool 1

Players
817 posts

Had the Asashio and used to like playing it. But even being able to send torps from distance, I don't think that would stop the ship from keep being spotted by planes in the current gaming meta. It would struggle now to use its concealment to any great affect like it could before.

I'm going wide in a cruiser on the map at times, the same way you would in the Asashio trying to keep concealment, and I'm still being spotted by planes with nothing else near me to warrant planes picking me up. The game is currently broken on concealment with any ships.

Players
317 posts
3,726 battles

2nd attempt. I changed my playstyle. I didnt care about my team, caps or spotting. I did break my own rule once and that cost me the ship. Go for greed is my advice. 

shot-19.02.10_03.16.03-0977.jpg

shot-19.02.10_03.16.06-0177.jpg

Players
719 posts
8,430 battles
20 hours ago, thiextar said:

I decided to only take out my kita in ranked, dds are unplayable in randoms atm... Still tho, ive somehow held 73% wr so far this season, kita is glorious.

2F12B1DFEC7E73B67E23CB7C463B555D4BEACA7A

I had 2 100k games, but the other one didn't have CVs. Both were losses thanks to potato BBs.

Players
2,176 posts

I've never found the 20km torps in any way useful, they're simply too visible and require some seriously oblivious opposition to score hits.

As to the selfish non objective play, it may work occasionally, but that's more luck than judgement.

Players
1,632 posts
16,368 battles
3 hours ago, Zlaraki said:

I always played the Shima with 8 km F3 torpedoes. Now I switched to the 12 km torpedoes and they aren't bad. Just forget the 20 km, they are a lie. And if you really see no other way and have to use them remember: only wide spreads from your spawn and NEVER NEVER use your guns. :cap_like:

It's advisable to respect the CV and adjust your play style. You have to rely on your team for AA.

2 hours ago, Zlaraki said:

Spoiler

shot-19.02.10_01.44.53-0120.jpg

shot-19.02.10_01.46.51-0306.jpg

Even more amazing is you did nothing, the GK survived the whole battle and he got less XP than you. :Smile_amazed:

Sign in to follow this