You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
aN00Bis_6VI6

Naming Ships

32 comments in this topic

Players
5 posts
2,297 battles

Probably not the first to bring this up, and definitely not going to be the last. But has there been mentions of having custom names on ships? I am actually surprised this has not been done yet, literally a name plaque on the ship, name it, pay a little gold for it (Wargamings gotta make its money somehow XD) and done. A little thing but would be a very nice personalisation feature which for those ships you wish to keep from the tech tree would be more personal. "Let me tell you a tale of the Lion class battleship: Ardent Immolation!" To even see the name of the enemy ship your fighting. I dunno. What does everyone else think?

[JRM]
Players
2,440 posts
17,237 battles

Its more complex to implement in the engine then u think

[SM0KE]
Players
3,275 posts
8,339 battles

I wouldn't object, although it would be rather a lot of work for marginal gain. You'd have to follow the WOT model too, otherwise spotty adolescents would all be driving around in 'Enormous D*ck Edgelord Ship' type named ships, so it would need to be all presets...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,955 battles

It wouldn't be hard at all. And a little word filter inside is not hard either. Though WG went to the wrong direction. They decided it ain't gonna happen. They think we want RU BBs more.

It would require the remake of the UI but that would be long necessity. But guess what. It's a "feautre" and not important like a new game engine or using all available cores on a computer. Why? Russians have potato PCs so ain't important.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,275 posts
8,339 battles
7 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

And a little word filter inside is not hard either.

True, and it would slow down the obscene/childish names for almost half a minute, I imagine - I've yet to encounter a profanity filter that I can't get round very easily if the spirit moves me...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,732 posts
4,186 battles
16 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

True, and it would slow down the obscene/childish names for almost half a minute, I imagine - I've yet to encounter a profanity filter that I can't get round very easily if the spirit moves me...

Why not let people name their ships "biggus d*ckus" if they want to? I really dont see the problem, they can spam it in chat all they want currently anyways...

• Cool 2

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
12,306 battles

Sure sounds like a fun idea, we just need an opt-out for players who want to keep things as historical as possible.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,307 battles
2 hours ago, aN00Bis_6VI6 said:

To even see the name of the enemy ship your fighting. I dunno. What does everyone else think?

I for one can do without playing in a match full of "USS MuhDick", "IJN YoMama" and whatever else some attention-depraved internet trolls might name their ships.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,453 posts
7,947 battles
6 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

I for one can do without playing in a match full of "USS MuhDick", "IJN YoMama" and whatever else some attention-depraved internet trolls might name their ships.

problem, meet...

11 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Sure sounds like a fun idea, we just need an opt-out for players who want to keep things as historical as possible.

solution :Smile_teethhappy:

[KAKE]
Players
1,686 posts
3,971 battles

Ah yes, I can't wait to sail beside "HMS Cockgobbler" and "USS Raging Hardon".

And getting around word filters is one of first things the Internet teaches you.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

I  dislike the fantasy skins in regular randoms already. Let alone fantasy ship names.

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,955 battles

I mean their name would stay the same, like Kidd, Black or anything else but you could give it a second name that would be visible after you want to. Not replacing their original names. (Like before match line up you hover your mouse over their ship. Or ingame you activate it by mod or smtg. ) Besides it would have been nice if I could have bought more than 1 of the same ship and it could be done after they introduced this naming thing.

Still all of this only could happen if the UI got replaced.

[SM0KE]
Players
3,275 posts
8,339 battles
1 hour ago, thiextar said:

Why not let people name their ships "biggus d*ckus" if they want to? I really dont see the problem, they can spam it in chat all they want currently anyways...

Well, *obviously* referencing The Classics should be perfectly fine...

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
2 hours ago, Humorpalanta said:

word filter

:Smile_teethhappy:

No. Word filters really, really, REALLY don't solve this sort of issue. Language is a wonderful thing and human creativity when it comes to doing dumb stuff - even more so.

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,955 battles
2 minutes ago, eliastion said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

No. Word filters really, really, REALLY don't solve this sort of issue. Language is a wonderful thing and human creativity when it comes to doing dumb stuff - even more so.

Nobody says it would eliminate everything but seriously can they do anything more? No. You can write dirtier things in chat... And we haven't talked about different languages...

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
26 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

Nobody says it would eliminate everything but seriously can they do anything more? No. You can write dirtier things in chat... And we haven't talked about different languages...

Which is precisely why this...

3 hours ago, Humorpalanta said:

And a little word filter inside is not hard either.

...is just not right. It is pretty hard to do and no matter how hard you try and how good a filter you make, it wouldn't be very effective anyway.

[TSCC]
Players
1,767 posts
20,155 battles

As long as there is also a name of the class/ship I wouldn't mind. But I don't want to guess what is that ship by looking in its tiny silhouette on team list. 

Players
41 posts
4,761 battles

Why not have the Option for if there was more than one ship in the class (some classes excluded like Bismark/ Tirpitz).

Of course some ships should stay the same such as Premiums becuase it could get very confusing having a Gneisenau Being renamed Sharnhorst.

So say your going with lets say HMS Leander you could chose names such as Orion, Neptune, Ajax and Achilles and other name's of the ships from the class.

This way you can still have Semi Custom names but it would still be more Historical that perhaps it could be.

Beta Tester
4,043 posts
16,202 battles
4 hours ago, aN00Bis_6VI6 said:

What does everyone else think?

Considering the player nicknames visible in game I would expect a flood of utterly retarded named ships.

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
829 posts
8,955 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

Which is precisely why this...

...is just not right. It is pretty hard to do and no matter how hard you try and how good a filter you make, it wouldn't be very effective anyway.

Soooo taken this logic. Why should we make laws and try to restrain bad people? Lot of them would get away anyway...

[ALONE]
Players
1,417 posts
10,918 battles
1 hour ago, Humorpalanta said:

• Funny 2

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
8 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

Soooo taken this logic. Why should we make laws and try to restrain bad people? Lot of them would get away anyway...

Actually, "wait, we can't possibly enforce this with reasonable level of efficiency" is an argument that does influence creation of law quite a lot, depending on the topic.

Also, we try to not give "bad people" opportunities. Like, instead of making a law "it's forbidden to pull this shark-releasing lever" it's usually a better policy to simply avoid having a direct connection between the public swimming pool and an aquarium with sharks.

• Funny 2

Players
1,077 posts
8,084 battles
2 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Well, *obviously* referencing The Classics should be perfectly fine...

True story, I used to have a late-night side account in Mechwarrior under "BiggusD*ckus666", but the bastards then censored it. :Smile_hiding:

I'm not sure how well they'd monitor the ship names. At least if you speak some languages beyond English, you can see some seriously racy stuff in Wargaming user names -- I've been shocked a few times what they've let pass.

• Cool 1