You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Breezewind

Please give us a possibility to zoom in while flying

18 comments in this topic

[TCNF]
Players
50 posts
6,764 battles

Many times when I'm flying, I'm trying to take a look at the ships in the horizon and they're too small to figure out anything. One could bind zoom to shift key or mouse wheel.

• Cool 13

[DAVY]
Players
267 posts
14,038 battles

I have to agree that having binoculars on planes would be useful. I had some issues with dive bombers where I could not judge the speed of my target, or even whether he was reversing. I do admit it is probably possible to learn to do without.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
42 minutes ago, Breezewind said:

Many times when I'm flying, I'm trying to take a look at the ships in the horizon and they're too small to figure out anything. One could bind zoom to shift key or mouse wheel.

12 minutes ago, Rosletyne said:

I have to agree that having binoculars on planes would be useful. I had some issues with dive bombers where I could not judge the speed of my target, or even whether he was reversing. I do admit it is probably possible to learn to do without.

This is one of the lesser problems (though made more prominent by ridiculous IJN CV torp aiming nerfs) but yeah... With no DD torping indicator to help you AND no binocular view, the only way to determine if (and in what direction + how fast) a ship is moving is often to take your eyes off the screen and carefully study your minimap... not exactly a comfortable situation, I'd say. Especially since the minimap isn't really designed for such detailed observation.

[DAVY]
Players
267 posts
14,038 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

This is one of the lesser problems (though made more prominent by ridiculous IJN CV torp aiming nerfs) but yeah...

I don't think torpedo attacks are much of a problem, since you should be aiming at the broadside anyway, and from that angle you should clearly see whether and how fast your target is moving. Dive bomber attacks however are done from straight ahead or behind, and from those angles judging speed is considerably harder.

Weekend Tester
810 posts

I  Have to say its a valid request as well, also how can ships  spot planes before they can be spotted themselves, I mean we're talking pinpricks in the sky compared to  massive ships.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
19 minutes ago, Rosletyne said:

I don't think torpedo attacks are much of a problem, since you should be aiming at the broadside anyway, and from that angle you should clearly see whether and how fast your target is moving.

No. You just don't. Pre-hotfix this was fixable through last-second course adjustments once the smoke and/or wake of the ship become fisible but now that's far too late for adjustments if you want the spread on your torps to remain in acceptable bounds.

In fact, for dive bombers it's much easier because you only commit to an attack right before it happens and you have a more elevated view beforehand. Dive bomber aiming sucks but problems with target's speed and course perception isn't what causes it - that part is easy to adjust last second and you don't need much information about that while you're still far away (when the binocular view would actually be of help).

Players
2 posts
1,147 battles

more useful would to be able to control how high the aircraft is to be able to close in on target like at at sea level behind islands avoiding AA 

have no problem seeing the ships

[DREAD]
Players
7,523 posts
5,751 battles
4 hours ago, Breezewind said:

Very reasonable. Especially if you want to plan your attack run ahead you need to know how the target is moving 

+1 from me sir

[BUSHI]
Players
3,623 posts
18,600 battles

For now You can ease you life by changing font size of ships in icons.xml. However to quess their direction you must still look at minimap.

Spoiler

in icons.xml change all to ex. those values:

<vehicleName scaleX="1" scaleY="1" to <vehicleName scaleX="1.8" scaleY="1.8">

<distance scaleX="1" scaleY="1" to <distance scaleX="2.5" scaleY="2.5">

image.png.d414415bbb7311767df8186be5a86fd3.png

[TCNF]
Players
50 posts
6,764 battles

I would like to plan my attack run by observing the ships outside of their AA range: what ships there are, who are being attacked, who are in fire and try to see if they use damage con – then strike my chosen target. I guess some mods from Aslain's modpack could help in evaluating the movement direction, like signal lights, but I'm not sure there's one displaying which ships are flooding or are in fire? Anyways, I prefer to use in-game indicators like ship wakes and smoke stacks, which is why zoom would be nice. Aiming for the target during an attack run is fine as it is, I'd like to have option to zoom while in mid-flight.

Players
92 posts
1,916 battles

I don't play CVs, but I agree.

Now CVs just fly straight from their position to their target, drop ordinance and try again.

No positioning on either side.