You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ronin_Cahill

What the hell is up with matchmaking system

13 comments in this topic

[_CHN_]
Players
27 posts

I just started this game a week ago and I like the idea as it reminds me of intelivesion's game sea battle back in the 80's. aside from a few balance issues which are incorrect but I know why they are there the only issue I have, and its enough to make me demand a refund, is the matchmaking system. looking at the tiers from 1-8 seems to be a gradual progression then 9 and 10 make huge leaps to a different place.  the max tier I want to -play in is 8 as from there down all the battles I have had are balanced better. but when I get stuck in with t10's and am being fired at by the time by ship gets to 20 knots and killed by 23 knots less than a min into the game..well you get it. I have had far to many scenarios where its clear im just as accurate and moving the same as my opponent but he/she is in a t 10 and simply out dps's me by 150%. this insane concept feels like an RPG system vs something that could simulate reality / history. I have chatted with quite a few folks during matchs and virtually all agree a +/- 1 Tier only match making system be inplace. it might take a biut longer to get a match but at least it would be fun and not just a slaughter. tier 10 and or 9 should have a singular place for those who are indeed excellent and hardcore players. I know for sure I have made many t 10's mad on my own team cause im in an 8 ship and they give me heck for playing 8 cause it may stick me into their matches, they tell me not to play over 7. so I am getting it from both ends here and its ruining my experience within one week. so please tell me Devs look at these posts and will take this seriously, as I do expect a response from someone in charge if they intend to keep things the same or modify them. In the absence of the option to change it to be more fair I would like to know who I ask for a refund of the items in my account?

thanks

Ronin

• Funny 2

[DAVY]
Players
2,579 posts
8 minutes ago, Ronin_Cahill said:

I just started this game a week ago and I like the idea as it reminds me of intelivesion's game sea battle back in the 80's. aside from a few balance issues which are incorrect but I know why they are there the only issue I have, and its enough to make me demand a refund, is the matchmaking system. looking at the tiers from 1-8 seems to be a gradual progression then 9 and 10 make huge leaps to a different place.  the max tier I want to -play in is 8 as from there down all the battles I have had are balanced better. but when I get stuck in with t10's and am being fired at by the time by ship gets to 20 knots and killed by 23 knots less than a min into the game..well you get it. I have had far to many scenarios where its clear im just as accurate and moving the same as my opponent but he/she is in a t 10 and simply out dps's me by 150%. this insane concept feels like an RPG system vs something that could simulate reality / history. I have chatted with quite a few folks during matchs and virtually all agree a +/- 1 Tier only match making system be inplace. it might take a biut longer to get a match but at least it would be fun and not just a slaughter. tier 10 and or 9 should have a singular place for those who are indeed excellent and hardcore players. I know for sure I have made many t 10's mad on my own team cause im in an 8 ship and they give me heck for playing 8 cause it may stick me into their matches, they tell me not to play over 7. so I am getting it from both ends here and its ruining my experience within one week. so please tell me Devs look at these posts and will take this seriously, as I do expect a response from someone in charge if they intend to keep things the same or modify them. In the absence of the option to change it to be more fair I would like to know who I ask for a refund of the items in my account?

thanks

Ronin

You have had less than 250 battles....bought a load of premiums with no clue how to play them and then come on here whining about mm? Suffer the consequences of not learning. :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 6

4,665 posts
9,137 battles
29 minutes ago, Ronin_Cahill said:

virtually all agree a +/- 1 Tier only

Hecking no.

And with less than 300 battles I'm afraid that you need a lot to learn with regards to game mechanics before you can understand that a ship can still hurt a +2 ship. Depending on the situation badly. A BB can still oneshot a +2 cruiser. A DD can still one shot (or at least significantly hurt) a +2 ship.

Remember: This is not WoT where you have trouble even penning a +2 vehicle!

So I suggest: Leave your bought premiums in the port for a while and learn to play the game from the boot up.

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles
41 minutes ago, Ronin_Cahill said:

thanks

Ronin

You've been playing for a week, yet you already think you can speak for "virtually all" players?

You ruined your own experience by trying to bypass the learning curve with money. The people who tell you to play lower tiers are doing so because you have no idea how to play your ships, and are ruining battles for your teams. Take their hints, stop playing high tier premiums, go back to t1 and play up from there and learn the basics as you tier up.

• Cool 2

[BS4]
Players
1,049 posts
6,038 battles
30 minutes ago, Ronin_Cahill said:

thanks

Ronin

21 minutes ago, bushwacker001 said:

You have had less than 250 battles....bought a load of premiums with no clue how to play them and then come on here whining about mm? Suffer the consequences of not learning. :Smile_sceptic:

This^^

Op you've done what a lot of people do and its why this game is so poor on the skill level atm at high tiers.

There are a lot of mechanics to learn In this game and a firm understanding of them is necessary for you to enjoy the game itself. Trust me you can go out in a tier 8 and farm damage all day long on tier x BB's or hunt down and destroy dd's with impunity but you NEED TO LEARN HOW....All this experience is learnt from working your way up the tiers and choosing witch nation best suits your play style.

Our advise is go down to ad least tier IV-V and start enjoying the game, making some kills with people that are of similar skill and experience and also with ships that are more or less in the same bracket. Tier VIII is notoriously difficult because of the +2 tiering you will experience.

Don't take this the wrong way but just after you've learned how to drive you don't jump in to a Ferrari and expect to survive the week!?

Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.

Good luck and the more you learn the better you will play.:cap_like:

Players
541 posts
1,924 battles

@Ronin_Cahill

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

While there are often lively debates among players about whether a +/-1 MM system would be preferable to the +2 at T5 and and above, the developers have been pretty consistently against the idea, so I don't see it happening I'm afraid.

There is one way, however, to make sure you only ever have +/-1 MM – play only T2-4. These tiers have protected matchmaking which means they'll never see a ship more than 1 tier higher (unless they make the mistake of divisioning with a higher-tier ship).

This is, in fact, something I'd recommend you do for a while. The point of protected MM is to give new players a relatively low-pressure spot where they can learn the game mechanics and what each class is capable of, etc. At less than 250 battles of all types played many T10 players will have 10x, maybe even getting on for 100x more experience than you. It's not because their ships are better that they're wrecking you (although being bottom-tier can be rough from T5 all the way to T8) – it's because they have a lot more game knowledge, know what all their ships and your ships are capable of, understand the mechanics, and thus play accordingly better. (This might well be why they're telling you not to play T8). For example, do you know that (unlike in real-life history) you should not present your full broadside to enemy ships? The way AP penetration works in the game, along with the greatly condensed distances, means that that makes it far easier to score devastating damage on you. Do you know how HE penetration is calculated? Do you understand the spotting system? Etc. I certainly didn't know any of that, or much besides, with less than 250 games.

None of this is to say you cannot be a good player in time, but I'm afraid playing high-tier premium ships in randoms is unlikely to help you improve. I understand that it's frustrating having bought them, but you can still play them in co-op and possibly operations in the meantime, so it's not wasted.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest going back to the low tiers for randoms, and grinding a few lines of each class to T5 to figure out what you like. Then grind a few lines to T7 or 8. Then decide which you want to pursue to T10. When you get there, you'll get there with good game knowledge and a well-trained commander and a properly equipped ship. Or just chill at the mid-tiers (5-7) without bothering about high-tier randoms; that can be fun too.

Look up videos on YouTube if you want to understand things better (WG's How it Works series, community contributors like iChaseGaming – especially his 'How to cruiser', 'How to destroyer' and 'how to battleship' vids – and Flamu) or read the wiki, or ask here if there's something you don't understand. Lots of people here are very willing to give constructive advice if people ask for it – although they may be less patient if someone appears to be complaining rather than asking for constructive feedback or how something works – and have been an invaluable source of information for me since I started visiting the forums.

I hope some of this has helped, and hope you'll keep asking about any doubts you have here. Good luck and fair seas :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
18,838 posts
12,049 battles
1 hour ago, Ronin_Cahill said:

thanks

Ronin

Sounds like a player issue.

If you get sunk in the first five minutes, you did something wrong.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,206 battles
2 hours ago, Ronin_Cahill said:

enough to make me demand a refund

Refund on a F2P game?

looking at the tiers from 1-8 seems to be a gradual progression then 9 and 10 make huge leaps to a different place.

Actually 5 to 8 make huge leaps and then 9 & 10 tend to be slightly improved version of the previous one. This is why 8v10 can still fight back in cases where 5v7, 6v8 or 7v9 would have been completely demolished by the higher tier ship

the max tier I want to -play in is 8 as from there down all the battles I have had are balanced better.

237 battles, t8 MM? Please don't tell me you are one of those useless noobs who threw their wallet at their screen to get the highest tier premium they could before having the slightest idea how to play...

Oh, of course you are... :fish_palm:

Your problem isn't MM. Your problem is you buying a ship so far out of your league you should be straight up ashamed of it. You don't have the experience or the basic skill to be even remotely useful at those tiers. You need to learn to play before you go up there. Otherwise what will happen - I mean what is happening - is you getting stomped every single time. To your teams you're literally a battleships anchor tied to a rowing boat. Good luck moving that one towards a win.

Play the game properly, advance through tiers and learn on your way. Then you'll be able to play those higher tier ships to at least some level of performance. And no, FreeXP-ing your way up isn't the same :fish_palm:

In the absence of the option to change it to be more fair I would like to know who I ask for a refund of the items in my account?

Refunded for what? For your own stupidity (should that be censored? I hope not, it's exactly what this case is) & mistakes? Noone will refund you for that

• Cool 2

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
780 posts
4,471 battles

thanks

Ronin

Welcome! 

But why did you buy 10 premium ships if you just started playing? 

Would it not be, ahm, wiser to first see if you like the game before investing so much money in to it? You can play the game for free to test it out. 

Also is is better to just grind a silver line from t2 all the way up so you learn different mechanics and difficulty every tier brings. 

It seems to me you jumped the gun too quickly and invested way to soon before you even figured this game out. And now when you notice things you don't like you complain about it whilst you could have figured those things out without spending any money at all. 

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

I think OP also didn't notice many ship cannon actually do not get larger or (much) more powerful from tier 8 up. Sometimes tier 6 have the early versions of these already, with only slightly less power.  While (likely) having less armour at tier 8 you are perfectly able to kill tier 10 ships. Just not be in front of the action on your own as you cannot take that damage. Support the more powerful allied ships and you will often have an excellent game and good rewards. 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles

I know for sure I have made many t 10's mad on my own team cause im in an 8 ship and they give me heck for playing 8 cause it may stick me into their matches

I'll tell you a secret. With current MM, when the system stuffs you into t10 match, the enemy team normally gets a corresponding t8. When your t10 team has you in a t8 ship, they are at a disadvantage, yes. But you're mistaken about the cause. The disadvantage isn't that there's a t8 ship and t8 ships being useless in t10 battles. It's the complete opposite. T8 ships are also very important in t10 battles - and your team is at a disadvantage because in one of their t8s sits... you. A newbie player with no experience, no knowledge of game mechanics or tactics used in the game, struggling with basic gunnery...

The problem isn't a t8 ship in t10 battles. The problem is a t3 player in t10 battles. But, let me tell you - it's actually lucky that you are in a t8 ship rather than a t10 one. Because t8 ships - while important - do have less power and therefore less responsibility for the result compared to top tiers. And boy, would your teammates be angry at you if you happened to be one of their precious top tiers.

• Cool 4