Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
GTB1964

Manual AA skill changed?

17 comments in this topic

Players
817 posts

Never used the 4 point skill before for Manual AA. But gather you used to do the same thing with it as Manual Secondary skill, use CTRL and left-click a target with mouse button. But since the update to CV changes, has that Manual AA skill changed? I can't manually select a target now testing it out and the tool tip description only says it increases AA sectors.

So how do you use Manual AA skill now? Do do you do nothing and it auto boost all the sectors strengths, left and right. Or does the skill only work when you press O key and increase a sector

• Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
18,886 posts
12,062 battles

Just read the tooltip.

And the patchnotes.

You cannot click a plane since the update, has nothing to do with the skill....

• Cool 1

Players
817 posts

But does Manual AA skill only work when you press the O key and increase a sector side. Or do you not have to do anything to make use of that skill now.

[CATS]
Players
18,886 posts
12,062 battles
Improves the efficiency of AA sector reinforcement and decreases its implementation delay. +20% AA sector efficiency.

-20% reinforcment delay.

There is only one way to activate sector reinforcement.

Players
817 posts

Yes, I know. My point was this!

If you don't use O key and click a sector side and reinforce it. Then is Manual AA being used as a skill, or not? Or does it only come into effect when you reinforce a sector side, otherwise it's not being used at all.

• Boring 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
37 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Yes, I know. My point was this!

If you don't use O key and click a sector side and reinforce it. Then is Manual AA being used as a skill, or not? Or does it only come into effect when you reinforce a sector side, otherwise it's not being used at all.

It's a skill that

1. Makes it faster to change the reinforced sector

2. Makes the reinforcement more pronounced (for most ships it means that rather than 25% of your AA firepower you're moving 50% (25+ 1/5 of 125, it's a bit messy in the description)).

Since both effects directly relate to sector reinforcement, you won't get any effect unless you actually decide to reinforce some sector in the course of the game.

• Cool 1

Players
817 posts
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

Since both effects directly relate to sector reinforcement, you won't get any effect unless you actually decide to reinforce some sector in the course of the game.

Thanks, that is what I wanted to know

I don't generally use the "O" key much to keep reinforcing different AA sides. Which is why I wanted to know if it only works when you do so, as it can seem a waste of 4 points really if you don't hardly do it throughout the course of a match. But had it boosted AA without you needing to select a sector with O key, then it would be more worth taking the skill.

[CATS]
Players
18,886 posts
12,062 battles

Get used to reinforcing your sectors.

When the AA is properly balanced in a few weeks, you will need it or get bombed to pieces.

Players
817 posts

I generally don't have much need to choose different sides to reinforce AA on with my BB. I mean, if you're in open water with no cover, then you wouldn't really use it much because planes can attack you from any side (even head on or from the rear). It only really comes into use if positioned against an Island and want the side facing away from it reinforced, or you're in a convoy and want to do the same thing with the ship side facing outwards in the convoy. Otherwise, what other use do you have when in open water on your own to keep switching sides when a plane can bomb you from the left side, turn around and bomb you from right side. He may even come head on bypassing both your sides.

That is why I don't find myself using it that much. Not like you go Island hugging much in a BB to use it, nor do you spend much time (if any) in a tight enough convoy group with other ships to make any real use of it.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
2 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

I generally don't have a need to choose different sides to reinforce AA on with my BB. I mean, if you're in open water with no cover, then you wouldn't really use it much because planes can attack you from any side (even head on). It only really comes into use if positioned against an Island and want the side facing away from it reinforced, or you're in a convoy and want to do the same thing with the ship side facing outwards in the convoy. Otherwise, what other use do you have when in open water on your own to keep switching sides when a plane can bomb you from the left side, turn around and bomb you from right side. He may even come head on bypassing both your sides.

That is why I don't find myself using it that much.

Planes are fast, but they don't teleport and are usually spotted from reasonably far away. And with some practice you'd actually be able to set the AA to flip sides so that the, say, TBs attacking you from one side fly over you about the same moment as your reinforcement flips. And predicting the initial side of attack is usually pretty easy too.

That being said, the manual AA might be the most useful for AA DDs, actually, as it lets them flip almost the entire AA to one side, change the side in a couple seconds AND they are nimble enough to keep the enemy planes approaching from ahead of them or behind on the "correct" side of the ship. Coupled with defensive AA these qualities can unexpectadely give AA DDs some real power in bringing planes down (especially now when the AA in general is... well, pretty strong, let's say).

Players
817 posts
12 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Planes are fast, but they don't teleport and are usually spotted from reasonably far away. And with some practice you'd actually be able to set the AA to flip sides so that the, say, TBs attacking you from one side fly over you about the same moment as your reinforcement flips. And predicting the initial side of attack is usually pretty easy too.

Not an easy thing to do though when you're battling other ships at same time planes are attacking you in a BB. You don't really have time to keep switching AA sides to reinforce. But that's another thing. But as you said, it's a bit different for a DD because they are nimble enough to keeping turning the ship around to face the planes with the reinforced side to them.

Anyway, I think some CV players have already caught on to attack ships like BB from the front or rear instead to avoid getting all their planes shot from any reinforced AA side of a ship. Bar dropping torps that usually come s from the side, bombs and rockets I've noticed are being dropped coming head on, or coming at your rear to you mostly.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
5 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Anyway, I think some CV players have already caught on to attack ships like BB from the front or rear instead to avoid getting all their planes shot from any reinforced AA side of a ship. Bar dropping torps that usually come s from the side, bombs and rockets I've noticed are being dropped coming head on, or coming at your rear to you mostly.

Reinforced side has 180 degrees, attacking from the front you're always either on one or the other side anyway, so it's not like you can avoid ever being on the reinforced side by approaching from ahead/behind.

6 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Not an easy thing to do though when you're battling other ships at same time planes are attacking you in a BB. You don't really have time to keep switching AA sides to reinforce. But that's another thing. But as you said, it's a bit different for a DD because they are nimble enough to keeping turning the ship around to face the planes with the reinforced side to them.

Switching sides takes pressing one button on the keyboard and clicking your mouse once. And BBs actually have a lot of time usually. DDs and rapid-fire cruisers need to stop the barrage to do extra things. Plus sometimes they are dodging things constantly. A BB can't really actively dodge much and as for firing - there's a lot of time between salvoes. If it's sparing some attention on planes, BBs have it the easiest, really.

Players
817 posts

Okay.

I think they should change the O key to F key. That way you don't need keep looking at keyboard to press O key, with it being miles away from normal direction control keys to activate AA sides. F key is not used for anything that I see? And is right next to left/right direction keys to make things easy.

[BABBY]
Players
436 posts
8,502 battles
20 hours ago, MRGTB said:

Okay.

I think they should change the O key to F key. That way you don't need keep looking at keyboard to press O key, with it being miles away from normal direction control keys to activate AA sides. F key is not used for anything that I see? And is right next to left/right direction keys to make things easy.

Well yea, remapping it to F was the first thing i did. Just go to options menu and change it. It conflicts with torp reload though so you need to change that too.

Players
817 posts
2 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

Well yea, remapping it to F was the first thing i did. Just go to options menu and change it. It conflicts with torp reload though do you need to change that top.

I just set torp reload as O and made AA F key. Makes more sense setting AA as F because you're using it all the time switching AA sides, whereas you only use fast torp reload every now and then, and only a few ships have it anyway

Sign in to follow this