10 comments in this topic

[ZEN]
Players
30 posts
2,238 battles

Hello, i want to find some guides for the battleships, what i mean by that?, well...

Now that the cv rework has come i played like 50 games of new cv's but got bored, also i liked more the RTS, so i sold my cv's and did a good profit, and upgraded to the teeth my bismarck and kagero
until now these are my best 2 ships i have and i am kinda playing with them most of the time.
i always had a issue with battleships, because i was too slow and left behind, doing next to nothing all the fight, or going ahead and doing next to nothing because i died, my best battleship game was in the bismarck with 105k dmg but also the only one, and i was verry lucky.
Usually my games are like 40k-60k dmg and either dead or alive with less hp, i see people on youtube and in different vids doing big amounts of dmg by citadeling ships, i barely citadel anything.... i usually aim very bad and usually either miss or 8k dmg maximum, i just don't get how to play battleship.... maybe is just me, maybe is not fitting for me, but i tryed to accomodate with bismarck ,instead of doing another ship tree because i am a free to play player and every credit cost hurts, so i can't afford to get ships and throw them anyway
As i said i also have a dd, for the moment i am quite good with dd's, and i find them incredibly engaging and cool, i like  that feeling of adrenaline when i am stealth torping a ship, and the salt when i miss :P 
and i have an overall fun and nice time with them. also i learned how to hive from cv's a bit better so they are not such a big problem to me either
About cruisers...well i never tried them, my max cruiser is aoba, and i tested in different ocasions zao and some other cruisers, the thing is: i either don't understand how to play them, or i don't get how they work at all, when i play cruisers i try to do what i saw in different guides...shot behind rocks and hide, the hiding part is good....i am playing dds quite a lot so i know how to hide but i can't shoot over any mountain or rock, the guns don't shoot so high, and i end up going to cap a point and get attacked by sevral ships and die....that is the every cruiser fight i have... i don't think i ever died with any ships that much.

also i was a cv main, from the start, bcs my aim sucked then, and even now, most of my battles are cv battles, but with the rework i was sad and sold them, so even if i have 1k+ battles i kinda play like a newbie other ships, RTS skill sadly do not jumps to normal ships.
is there anyone that can show me each type of ship can do, how it plays and each nation advantages and disadvantages?
you can treat me more like a new player...do i have knoledge about the game mechanics...i can't say i know how to angle or how to play a cruiser 
i would really appreciate your time in this matter... it seems no yt video can get me close to understand exactly how thing work as easy as i learned them in RTS cv and trust me, i watched a lot of guides, but... they just don't apply in the situations i am playing

Thank you in advance ;)

• Cool 1

Players
1,640 posts
5,986 battles

I can show you ingame how BBs work in the training room.

I have 5 nations BBs at Class 8, happy to train with you on the basics of BBs. You can select a line that interests you to then gain more experience with.

As a baseline for Classic BB play at range I would suggest focusing on the US BBs, North Carolina upto Montana. They have quite hard hitting guns and consistent.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
1,634 posts
16,368 battles

If you have kept some of the low tier ships I would say you would learn more at tiers 4-5. Or invest some credits in a tier 4, they aren't expensive. In tier 8 you play against very experienced players, in low tiers you aren't punished for mistakes as much.

BBs are a bad choice if you want to learn how to aim, they shoot only every 25 - 30 seconds. Fast firing cruisers are better: Phoenix - Omaha - Dallas - ..., Königsberg - Nürnberg.

• Cool 1

Players
416 posts
1,690 battles

OP, it appears you skipped over playing tier 1 pretty quickly, but if you haven't learned tier 1's three brutal lessons, of 1) being influential in the game, 2) getting into the habit of doing more than your own hit points in damage, and 3) surviving to the end of the battle, well it just gets harder from then on. I'm not saying go back to tier 1, but I think these are the parameters you should be judging yourself by, and if you aren't managing a good ratio of the three principles go down to a tier where you do, refresh your senses, and work back up again.

• Cool 1

[_FK_]
Players
163 posts
2,297 battles

Use the youtube video's to learn the tactics. But ignore the damage those players get. These are players that 1: are very, very good and 2: if they do get a 20k damage game, they do not upload those :Smile_hiding:

And the best trick is to just keep playing a class to learn it.

I started on the USA cruiser line, had fun in the first 4 tiers, but oh boy, the T5 Omaha. It is just a floating citadel. And since I like to complete things, I decided to unlock both T6 USA cruisers.

Took me a while to get all that xp, my friends kept laughing at my shouting about the Omaha when I was playing it.

And now that I'm finally done with unlocking both T6 cruisers and I can sell my Omaha? I'm not going to. I love the ship now. I can stay alive in it, do good damage, be usefull to the team.

I learned how to handly T7 BB's in my Omaha, hunt down destroyers, etc.

All it takes is time.

Players
2,109 posts
14,413 battles
Am 8.2.2019 um 17:55, Blackrockshooter31 sagte:

i see people on youtube and in different vids doing big amounts of dmg by citadeling ships, i barely citadel anything.... i usually aim very bad and usually either miss or 8k dmg maximum, i just don't get how to play battleship....

Well there are several issues here, and the key to all of them is ultimately to improve your understanding of the mechanics that are involved.

Your aim will only improve through training, which means playing a lot and reflecting on the fall of shot whenever possible. However. That said, German BBs like Gneisenau and Bismarck are maybe not the best ships for learning how to aim better. They have a rather wide dispersion (meaning, simplified, that their shells scatter over a wider area). My experience seems to tell me that really hitting where you were aiming does wonders for your aim in general.

Combine that with their low number of guns, compared to other BBs, and it is not really surprising you don't hit much stuff.

And regarding the citadels, first look at the gun caliber. The German BBs, not only on Tier VIII, often have the smallest guns of their Tier. The Japanese Tier VIII ships have 410mm, compared to 380mm on Bismarck. The Americans have 406mm. While the smaller German shells are capable of penetrating the citadels of most or all ships you might encounter, they have a harder time doing so. The thicker the enemy armour, the closer you need to be and the flatter the broadside the enemy needs to give you. Which means your positioning needs to be all the better for it, and you need to outplay the enemies to get them into a worse position. Which is hard. You need to use your speed for that, but in contrast to Gneisenau, Bismarck is not that much faster than most other Tier VIII BBs and slower than some, like the French ones with the engine boost.

This goes for the BBs. The cruisers' armour on the other hand is more easily overmatched, but from up close, you often tend to get regular pens or overpenetrations, rather than citadels. For a better chance to reach many ships' citadels, you rather want to hit their weak deck armour from above, with plunging fire. For that, you need a greater distance, but thanks to the small number of guns and large dispersion of Bismarck, you have a harder time hitting them from a larger distance.

Zitat

maybe is just me, maybe is not fitting for me, but i tryed to accomodate with bismarck ,instead of doing another ship tree because i am a free to play player and every credit cost hurts, so i can't afford to get ships and throw them anyway

It would be a good idea to try a different line because going back to basics after reading up a bit on the mechanics and watching the odd youtube video would probably help your aim as well as your tactics.

The other thing you can do is try to play the Bismarck more to its strengths, rather than suffering from her weaknesses. She is very tanky and hard to citadel herself due to the turtleback armour. Granted, she is a lot more vulnerable to the increasing number of overpowered HE spammers these days, but she is nowhere near in as bad a place as Friedrich der Große. Specc into secondaries and tankiness, pay attention to the matchmaking and try to find the ideal moment for a hard, fast push. Avoid sniping from the rear, but also avoid locking yourself into situations where you just get burned down by some Cleveland or Akizuki or Kitakaze or whatever, often without even seeing your opponent. It is a thin line these days. I very much think it is more difficult than other nations' BB play and you could make it easier on yourself by just trying the Japanese line, and come back to Bismarck in the summer.

Zitat

About cruisers... (...) i either don't understand how to play them, or i don't get how they work at all, when i play cruisers i try to do what i saw in different guides...shot behind rocks and hide, the hiding part is good

The key to good cruiser play in Random battles is usually to play it a bit cagey at the start to avoid squandering your health because you just can't tank a lot of damage. There are more ways to achieve this than hiding behind rocks. There is also kiting, where you try to capitalize on being harder to hit while sailing away from your target while the target is easier for you to hit when it is chasing you. Different ships are differently suited to that.

And then there is the crossfire, where you need to be in a position at right angles to the line between your target and its target. That way, ideally the target can't be bothered to change target to you, so even though you are in plain sight, you are - ideally - not shot at and can farm the target. Once again, this requires a bit of planning ahead, anticipating enemy moves and careful positioning, and all of this can be hard. But it is definitely easier once you only just realize what kind of situation you should be looking to create.

Players
2,109 posts
14,413 battles
Am 8.2.2019 um 17:55, Blackrockshooter31 sagte:

big amounts of dmg by citadeling ships, i barely citadel anything....
Thank you in advance ;)

Shorter answer:

Watch the two iChase vids on citadels and overpens (see below), skip over the boring parts where he just moves his jaws without advancing the topic (cuts down the time in half).

Then go to a training room in a Kurfürst and try to citadel a stationary Roon and/or Hindenburg from under 7 km and be amazed. (I don't even remember the actual minimum distance, it might well have been approaching 10 km.)

[BODEM]
Players
455 posts
5,346 battles

I agree the German BB line ain't the best line to learn how to play a BB. There are 2 things I think you should learn on your path to BB greatness and the Germans can only teach you 1 consistently and that's angling. The other thing is finding citadels, which is total rng with germans no matter where you aim. I must say I learned fairly late in the game how to use those two points effectively too as I learned how frickin awesome angling can be on the T8 North Carolina (Best bowtanker in the game imo) and learned to Citadel on the T5 Kongo. Japanese just have the best setup to give you proper lessons in how to actively hit citadels consistantly. They shoot small, acurate shots at long range and have 5-6 turrets so you can practise more per reload. Because of this, Japanese BBs promote individual shots instead of firing off full broadsides. You will fail lots of times before you constently be doing citadels because of your own skills, but knowing where to aim on ships sailing in different angles and with different speed on a medium to long range is a core BB skill to do good damage.

Kongo should not be too long of a grind, is a very powerful ship in itself, gives a great idea how the whole line plays and if you can find citadels with Kongo consistantly,  you can find it with every BB. Or cruiser for that matter. And Bismarck is already a good teacher at positioning, angling and pushing. She and North Carolina are fortresses when angled correctly, teaching you that slowing down and angling correctly instead of turning to flee is a viable tactic and will protect your sides from heavy impacts. And as long nobody gets smart enough to use HE, most of the time, you'll bounce everything.

• Cool 1