Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ubertron_X

Standardized planes and quasi-restricted matchmaking for CV's

9 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,570 posts
13,713 battles

Dear fellow warship captains and game responsibles,

as we are currently encountering a lot of problems due to the changes in CV gameplay and their respective balancing issues I gave those problems some major thought and this is what I was comming up with:

The concept and necessary steps:

1) Set standard values for CV planes according to the respective nation, duty and tier
2) Use those standard planes in conjuction with quasi-restriced matchmaking for CV's
3) Balance AA around the standard planes

Ad 1) First of all I would start assigning standard values for CV planes according to the nominal tier they are going to be used at. This includes but is not limited to plane specific values like hit points, plane speed, damage resistance, ordonance damage values etc. Once CV plane parameters for each tier, nation and plane type have been set we can move on to 2).

Ad 2) Currently top tier CV's are often devastating versus lower tier ships and low tier CV's can be entirely powerless versus high tier ships, which is mainly due to the power increase (or drop) that the ±2 matchmaking is creating. This has been the reason for many complaints from both the CV captains ("useless carrier") as well as the ships on the receiving end ("useless AA"). But how can we ease this issue a little? My solution would be to use the standard value plane idea as per 1) and introduce quasi-restricted matchmaking for CV's, making them weaker while being top tier and increasing their power while being low tier.

How could this work in game? Once teams have been assigned the server checks the CV's tier position for the given battle and assigns the appropriate plane tier and values.

Example:

a) Shokaku in a game where T6 ships are present as the lowest tier => T7 plane values are used (CV planes are downtiered to lessen impact)
b) Shokaku in a game where T7 ships are present as the lowest tier => T8 plane values are used
c) Shokaku in an entirely T8 game or scenario => T8 plane values are used
d) Shokaku in an T9 battle => T8 plane values are used
e) Shokaku in a T10 battle => T9 plane values are used (CV planes are uptiered to highten impact)

Note that the actual planes models do not necessarily need to change, however the CV's will always use the respective plane tier and plane stats as explaned above. For example if a full researched T6 Ryujo were to meet a full researched T8 Shokaku in any single battle, both CVs would be using T7 plane values, i.e. the Ryujo would be using B5N2 Kate torpedo bombers with T7 stats and the Shokaku would be using B7A Ryusei torpedo bombers with T7 stats.

So you might ask yourself, if both CV's are using the same planes, what is their difference and why should I level up? One answer to this is to have the CV's balanced against each other not by the planes they use but by other no less important factors like the number of planes within each squadron (e.g. T7 Ryujo 8 vs T7 Shokaku 12), the number of ordonance used per attack (e.g. T7 Ryujo 2 vs T7 Shokaku 3) or the flight deck plane respawn rate (e.g. T7 Ryujo 50 secs vs T7 Shokaku 30 secs).

Ad 3) As a result of our conceptual changes to CV's and their planes the spread of planes that can meet any individual ship (or vice versa) will be reduced from a maximum of 5 tiers to a maximum of 3 tiers. Sticking to our example a Mogami will no longer face the T6 planes of a Ryujo and the T10 planes of a Hakuryu, most probably easily swatting the T6's and struggling hard with the T10's, but will just face T7 to T9 planes (±1 spread) which in theory should allow for much easier plane versus AA balancing than we can do now.

I know that this concept is not entirely foolproof and has its own drawbacks, especially if there is just a minority of low or high tier ships within any single battle (a lone Amagi in an otherwise T6 and T7 battle will up the planes of a Ryujo and a lone Aoba in an otherwise T7 and T8 battle will lower the planes of a Shokaku), however I do consider these drawbacks minor in comparison to the balancing problems we are facing now (and have been facing in the past) and that the benefits of using quasi-restricted matchmaking for CV's are worth giving the idea at least some consideration.

What do you think?

@MrConway@Sub_Octavian

• Cool 5
  • Bad 2

[NWP]
Players
5,911 posts
7,190 battles

Just yesterday, i had an idea about making the DPS from ships dependant on which tier planes they are targeting i.e.:

Minotaur vs Hakuryu has 100% DPS

Minotaur vs Shokaku would only have 80% DPS (dependant on the difference in base HP from Shokaku to Hakuryu planes)

And on the other hand, a Dallas fighting a Shokaku would get 120% DPS.

I marked MrConway, and he said he liked the idea and he will forward it.

I dont think your idea would be bad either, but it still kinda makes a difference between who is fighting you (T6-T8 MM with T7 planes is still harder for T6 ships as compared to T8 ships).

But either way would be better than current implementation, just wanted to throw it out here :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

Players
4,141 posts
7,641 battles
9 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

Simpler to just limit CVs to +-1 MM

With the current tech-trees, you´d need to place CVs on uneven tiers. which would eliminate another CV, because we´d have CVs on Tier 5/7/9.

@Ubertron_X its a good idea. Similar ideas have been brought up to minimize the effects of T8 cruisers, when in T10 games (like make a heal available for them in such cases). Since WG didnt go for that, im not sure theyll concider your idea. But they should, imo.

[TTT]
Players
4,453 posts
7,958 battles
11 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

Simpler to just limit CVs to +-1 MM

so you'd make special battles with narrower Tier spread just for the CVs? yeah no... :Smile_facepalm:

I like the idea of the Planes-vs-AA interaction being somewhat adaptive to the tiers involved - which end the adaption happens at I don't think matters that much for the end result. So :cap_like: from me to both of your ideas Uber and DFens!

• Bad 1

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

so you'd make special battles with narrower Tier spread just for the CVs? yeah no... :Smile_facepalm:

I like the idea of the Planes-vs-AA interaction being somewhat adaptive to the tiers involved - which end the adaption happens at I don't think matters that much for the end result. So :cap_like: from me to both of your ideas Uber and DFens!

And? it would mean an easier time balancing AAA to plane survivability as the crossover is less.

In any case, that's a simple way to do whatever the OP suggested, which was my point, and not some fairly silly "your ships gets a nerf or buff depending on your MM just because you're a CV".

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles
5 minutes ago, ForlornSailor said:

With the current tech-trees, you´d need to place CVs on uneven tiers. which would eliminate another CV, because we´d have CVs on Tier 5/7/9.

@Ubertron_X its a good idea. Similar ideas have been brought up to minimize the effects of T8 cruisers, when in T10 games (like make a heal available for them in such cases). Since WG didnt go for that, im not sure theyll concider your idea. But they should, imo.

Actually no. You just only allow t10 CVs in t9-10 battles.

Again, as I already noted, does a similar job to some obtuse buff/nerf routine based on ship tiers.

• Cool 1

Players
4,141 posts
7,641 battles
19 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Actually... IF done right, this doesnt effect the rest that much. But you´d need my mentioned 5/7/9-model. Take a T7 CV as an example: He could be in a game with a range of T6-T8. So the game itself still has a +/-2 spread, while for the CV its a +/-1. But I know, this has other impacts on the matchmaking like some ships would only be able to face one single CV type (like T7 surface ships would only see a T7 CV). And with anchoring you could get better mm for your T8s f.e. And there might be more problems, which im not thinking of. And anyway not realistic, since CV tech tree just got reworked and 3 CVs per line is even worse then the current 4. So its not really a suggestion, just speaking a thought out loud ^^

• Bad 1

[TTT]
Players
4,453 posts
7,958 battles
1 minute ago, ForlornSailor said:

Take a T7 CV as an example: He could be in a game with a range of T6-T8. So the game itself still has a +/-2 spread, while for the CV its a +/-1

that'd make it so CVs are always automatically mid-tier 100% of the time... doesnt strike me as particularly sensible in the context of pretty much the entire rest of the MM system :Smile_Default:

ah well we'll see what (if anything) WG decides to do in this direction

Sign in to follow this