Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sirion_

CV Rework: Another rant about manual ship control

42 comments in this topic

[SD-7]
Players
35 posts

I'm going to keep this very short, since Mr. Conway has already stated this: "If our players deem this necessary, we can always re-implement this feature" in the very first CV Rework Livestream.

We NEED (!!!!!!!!!!!!) manual ship control!!!! Period.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Constructive" feedback, for the people who absolutely don't understand my (our/us, CV players') frustration:

Fellow CV players will understand what I mean. Properly positioning your carrier, and estimating distances and whatnot is near-impossible on minimap (auto)pilot, and I got myself killed countless of times since 0.8.0.0 went Live because of my bow sticking out behind the island or whatever spots me due to the unavailability of manual steering, manual control, manual what-the-[edited]-you-want-to-call-it. Personally I don't understand ANY SINGLE THING of WG's reason to remove this essential key feature from aircraft carrier gameplay. The only way of manual steering is to recall your squadrons with F, then basically do nothing to help your team to spot or deal damage, no, you're simply positioning your damn ship, which got me reported multiple times with my teammates stating "Go play Ship Simulator", or "Bot CV"........ Seemingly WG developers haven't played CVs since they would know how essential such a small feature is.

I like the CV rework, but I am unable to properly play without this feature.

I've been spending thousands of Euro's on World of Warships since June 2015, when I started playing, and I was planning on getting Kaga and Graf Zeppelin day one after they'll be on sale again, but maybe you'll wake up after you'll flush about 200,- Euro's through the sink:

I will not spend anything related to aircraft carriers without proper ship control!

Angry regards,

Sirion

PS. I know that I'm not the only one with this problem, yet I haven't seen one single player that properly addresses this issue and why this shouldn't have been removed from the game. People say WG "dumbs down" CV gameplay while the CV players themselves could CHOOSE to USE or NOT USE this system; if they think it's too hard to manage, then they DON'T HAVE TO use it!

• Cool 6

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

But you HAVE direct control !

Before the rework you pressed 1 and were then in control of the CV. Now that is tied to a squadron, but pressing F does the same thing as 1 did !  If you do not select numbers at match start, or press F if you did select numbers, you have direct control just like any other ship. You can speed up or slow down, evade torpedo's and more....

Map+autopilot is just for relocating if you don't want to leave your aircraft.

It's just the consumables being automatic....have no complaints about that.....the CV's AA is even stronger then that of any other ship and it launches fighters to boot. The rather few torpedo's that do hit usually arent a great problem, with auto consumable even less.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[BBMM]
Players
3,724 posts
4,062 battles
19 minutes ago, Sirion_ said:

PS. I know that I'm not the only one with this problem, yet I haven't seen one single player that properly addresses this issue and why this shouldn't have been removed from the game. People say WG "dumbs down" CV gameplay while the CV players themselves could CHOOSE to USE or NOT USE this system; if they think it's too hard to manage, then they DON'T HAVE TO use it!

I have seen loads of those comments and I have put at least three of those myself. :fish_nerv:

[SD-7]
Players
35 posts
1 minute ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

I have seen loads of those comments and I have put at least three of those myself. :fish_nerv:

Never seen those then. But glad to see I ain't the only one fighting for this.

[BBMM]
Players
3,724 posts
4,062 battles
1 minute ago, Sirion_ said:

Never seen those then. But glad to see I ain't the only one fighting for this.

The consumables too... I know you can't fix stupid, buet since they needed to type their name to register,

one might at least assume they can handle more than 10 buttons.... or maybe I'm expecting too much?

• Cool 1

Players
1,978 posts
10,758 battles
6 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Before the rework you pressed 1 and were then in control of the CV. Now that is tied to a squadron, but pressing F does the same thing as 1 did !  If you do not select numbers at match start, or press F if you did, you have direct control just like any other ship. You can speed up or slow down, evade torpedo's and more....

I will have to try the F key thing but I have no control over the speed of my CV now. I know i can move my ship using M but i seemingly have no control over speed once i start using my planes. 

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
9 minutes ago, pra3y said:

I will have to try the F key thing but I have no control over the speed of my CV now. I know i can move my ship using M but i seemingly have no control over speed once i start using my planes. 

Not selecting any aircraft it's just the keys you use for all ships. F releases you from aircraft control.

In some maps 1st thing i do is put the CV  in reverse manually. So i get some more distance from breaking through DD and cruisers looking to kill me fast. After that i may reloacate, usually do that in aircraft with map+autopilot.  When auto-pilot sailing while flying meanwhile and under attack by DD i press F and assume direct cotrol as to evade torpedo's and cannon fire.

In map+auto pilot mode you cannot adjust speed.

I too thought this was not possible, put on the wrong footing by WG info for a while too :-)

[BBMM]
Players
3,724 posts
4,062 battles
6 minutes ago, pra3y said:

No you have not, that's true. You can only put points on the map and the CV will go there.

And watch out how you put them because if the stupid bot-helmsman gets confused he will go there BACKWARDS... :Smile_hiding:

The funny thing is you can do it with ships too. But if you touch the WASD then the auto-control switches off.

This makes me think they simply have the key assignment ff-ed up... as WASD is how you control the planes in a CV.

...so if they didn't automate it through he map... the CV might go the same as the planes... :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[SD-7]
Players
35 posts
1 minute ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

And watch out how you put them because if the stupid bot-helmsman gets confused he will go there BACKWARDS... :Smile_hiding:

I have died at least five times because of this................

• Funny 2

Players
1,978 posts
10,758 battles
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Not selecting any aircraft it's just the keys you use for all ships.

In some maps 1st thing i do is put the CV  in reverse manually. So i get some more distance from breaking through DD and cruisers looking to kill me fast.

Doesnt work. My speed control literally disappear from the game once i start using my planes. When i press M to open the map i have control over the ship movement, but no control over its speed. So my Midway or Haku is literally going as fast as a Langley. If there is a way to control my CV speed after my planes are launched I have yet to see it.

IMO WG should just give CV players proper manual control over their CVs. The stupid thing is while people complain about their DDs being perma spotted the same thing happen to CVs. Then everyone and their grandmother who is in range of you will start shooting at you, even if you're 18~20 km away.

So that BS about deserving to be sunk if a DD breaches through yr line is just BS. The other CV can perma spot you as well without even getting into your AA range and you can't do much about it.

[BBMM]
Players
3,724 posts
4,062 battles
Just now, Sirion_ said:

Ah well. Look at it this way: I have a Langley. 

"The One That Got Away" sure isn't gonna be me.... 

tenor.gif?itemid=5461800

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
1 minute ago, Sirion_ said:

Setting a  course slightly in an angle backwards ( if you want to turn around ) prevents this. Or else setting waypoints around.

Players
1,978 posts
10,758 battles
4 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

No you have not, that's true. You can only put points on the map and the CV will go there.

The funny thing is you can do it with ships too. But if you touch the WASD then the auto-control switches off.

This makes me think they simply have the key assignment ff-ed up... as WASD is how you control the planes in a CV.

...so if they didn't automate it through he map... the CV might go the same as the planes... :Smile_teethhappy:

2 minutes ago, Sirion_ said:

Same i placed the points on the map and went wtf why is my CV reversing as i got blapped.

• Funny 1

[BBMM]
Players
3,724 posts
4,062 battles
1 minute ago, pra3y said:

everyone and their grandmother who is in range of you will start shooting at you, even if you're 18~20 km away.

I can hit a DD (which is moving) at 18km, a fat CV that is creeping forward or standing still... :cap_like:

• Funny 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
2 minutes ago, pra3y said:

Doesnt work. My speed control literally disappear from the game once i start using my planes. When i press M to open the map i have control over the ship movement, but no control over its speed. So my Midway or Haku is literally going as fast as a Langley. If there is a way to control my CV speed after my planes are launched I have yet to see it.

IMO WG should just give CV players proper manual control over their CVs. The stupid thing is while people complain about their DDs being perma spotted the same thing happen to CVs. Then everyone and their grandmother who is in range of you will start shooting at you, even if you're 18~20 km away.

So that BS about deserving to be sunk if a DD breaches through yr line is just BS. The other CV can perma spot you as well without even getting into your AA range and you can't do much about it.

Weird did you check you key bindings ?  For me this does work i am not lying to you.

I think it should not matter, but do not use WASD as i have used the cursor keys all my life, and bound all vehicles to those keys...but them again my aircraft are too so it should make no difference.

Players
1,978 posts
10,758 battles
11 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Weird did you check you key bindings ?  For me this does work i am not lying to you.

I think it should not matter, but do not use WASD as i have used the cursor keys all my life, and bound all vehicles to those keys...but them again my aircraft are too so it should make no difference.

Don't worry, I'll go have a look tonight after work. The onus is not on you anyway. In any case WG convinently talked nothing about speed in their detailed article on the new CV.

Screenshot_20190208-083856_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2fb7ab1fbec1c92779665f6ac3655212.jpg

@MrConway can you clarify if CVs have control over their own speed or are purposely left to go at a certain speed? Is there a bug in the UI?

Not that I want to doubt you guys but your article talks literally about everything on the new CV except controlling the speed of the CV.

[BUSHI]
Players
3,627 posts
18,613 battles

There is another problem with map control. You can't click exact spot on map. Those "clicks" have some spaces between.

Second thing, sometimes I want to move my ship on map border and sail on it, but it is impossible to do with only map control.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,206 battles
1 hour ago, Beastofwar said:

pressing F does the same thing as 1 did

Except that this recalls your squad and you can't return to control them

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,026 posts
21,179 battles
7 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Setting a  course slightly in an angle backwards ( if you want to turn around ) prevents this. Or else setting waypoints around.

Had my cv making circles around waypoint several times bc of this BS. Its alot of "fun" to discover that when half of enemy team is 2km from your detection range and you have to make another 180 to try move away again.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts
6 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Except that this recalls your squad and you can't return to control them

Yes that's the consequence. For relocating the map+autopilot will be enough. For evading torpedo's or cannon fire you will have to "zap" back into your CV and take control. You may want to do that anyway because no CV end match for you when your last aircraft dies or fly time runs out.

I often get revenge kills out of that fly time when my CV is already gone....very enjoyable feature.

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,098 posts
6,344 battles

The autopilot does some wonky stuff.

-Tried going slightly forward and left. Carrier did a 180 and ended up facing the wrong way.

-Tried reversing. Carrier tried performing a 3 point turn.

• Cool 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,026 posts
21,179 battles

Just a simple action like leaving map border is too much for autopilot despite its a master to get you there. And theres no way i should spend my attacktime to correct autopilots mistakes for 1/4 of battle duration if it decides to go mental.

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,701 posts
2,666 battles
8 hours ago, pra3y said:

Don't worry, I'll go have a look tonight after work. The onus is not on you anyway. In any case WG convinently talked nothing about speed in their detailed article on the new CV.

Screenshot_20190208-083856_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2fb7ab1fbec1c92779665f6ac3655212.jpg

@MrConway can you clarify if CVs have control over their own speed or are purposely left to go at a certain speed? Is there a bug in the UI?

Not that I want to doubt you guys but your article talks literally about everything on the new CV except controlling the speed of the CV.

Currently the auto-pilot will always go full speed with a CV.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles
9 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

But you HAVE direct control !

Before the rework you pressed 1 and were then in control of the CV. Now that is tied to a squadron, but pressing F does the same thing as 1 did !  If you do not select numbers at match start, or press F if you did select numbers, you have direct control just like any other ship. You can speed up or slow down, evade torpedo's and more....

Map+autopilot is just for relocating if you don't want to leave your aircraft.

It's just the consumables being automatic....have no complaints about that.....the CV's AA is even stronger then that of any other ship and it launches fighters to boot. The rather few torpedo's that do hit usually arent a great problem, with auto consumable even less.

Not being able to manually control a CV with its planes in the air ISN'T direct control. F recalls aircraft, pressing 1 didn't. Also with old CVs you could press shift and have a normal CV view even with your planes in the air.

[KAKE]
Players
1,686 posts
3,971 battles
8 hours ago, Odo_Toothless said:

There is another problem with map control. You can't click exact spot on map. Those "clicks" have some spaces between.

I actually lost a game thanks to this the other night. I'd set the end point inside a cap circle, but the CV just stopped right outside it, pointed straight at an island. I think we lost by 20 points, so if I'd been able to block that cap we would have won.

And yeah, it is really daft that we can't control the hull at the same time as having aircraft in the air. "But then the CV player can control two units at the same time". Yes. And that's not a problem. 

Give CV players manual control over consumables and ability to hop back to the CV view and set speed and rudder commands. And then you can compensate by unnerfing DoT effects on CVs.

(Or just revert to the RTS CVs.)

Sign in to follow this