Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Malkuth

The Issue with AA

6 comments in this topic

[_FBS_]
Beta Tester
5 posts
8,086 battles

So. Im mainly a Cruiser player. Just to get that out there to begin with
I enjoyed the new CV gamestyle, alot better than the first one. But I have this little issue. It seems, that enemy ships can Shoot down my planes from the other side of a mountain.. but my rockets or torpedoes cant hit them.

Please fix. Either of them ;)

It kinda defeats the purpose of planes if mountains just applies to main guns and plane weapons. have them block AA too

• Funny 1

Players
5,442 posts
6,757 battles
1 minute ago, Malkuth said:

So. Im mainly a Cruiser player. Just to get that out there to begin with
I enjoyed the new CV gamestyle, alot better than the first one. But I have this little issue. It seems, that enemy ships can Shoot down my planes from the other side of a mountain.. but my rockets or torpedoes cant hit them.

Please fix. Either of them ;)

It kinda defeats the purpose of planes if mountains just applies to main guns and plane weapons. have them block AA too

They do block AA. But you need to fly low enough to not have line of sight. e.g. torp attack sequence will get you low enough.

• Cool 1

[_FBS_]
Beta Tester
5 posts
8,086 battles

Actually. No. If your planes are spotted they fire right through. But if you initiate an attack you can go undetected, that I know

Players
4,302 posts
11,820 battles

So being a cruiser liker. Nothing wrong with that. But I see you're also a CV liker. I'm being on a serious motivation crisis for wows right now. Could you please try to explain like I'm a six year old (my biological level is even less since I only have 1 and in very fortunate moments 2 neurons firing): what is the resemblance or difference between airplanes and ships? My second neuron managed to bring up the answer: both have propellers and machine guns. the one weighs 50 tons, don't fly and is very slow. The other weighs lot less and flies. To put it into biological POV: I with all the SJW instincts in me cannot grasp the difference between a dinosaur and a mosquito. But that's where my limited brain capacity ends. I am too dumb to see how wowp (p= planes) and wows (s=ships) can be mixed up? Please, get me out of the woods on this one. Not only you OP, every other player of even WG themselves. I am starving to get a idiotic simple answer which even I can understand. Because this marvelous game is losing me.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
4 hours ago, Seiranko said:

They do block AA. But you need to fly low enough to not have line of sight. e.g. torp attack sequence will get you low enough.

They don't block AA. They block spotting and if your planes aren't spotted, they don't suffer from AA. If, however, something spots them (other planes, some ship on "your" side of the mountain") the AA gets you right through any obstacles.

1 hour ago, Ferry_25 said:

So being a cruiser liker. Nothing wrong with that. But I see you're also a CV liker. I'm being on a serious motivation crisis for wows right now. Could you please try to explain like I'm a six year old (my biological level is even less since I only have 1 and in very fortunate moments 2 neurons firing): what is the resemblance or difference between airplanes and ships? My second neuron managed to bring up the answer: both have propellers and machine guns. the one weighs 50 tons, don't fly and is very slow. The other weighs lot less and flies. To put it into biological POV: I with all the SJW instincts in me cannot grasp the difference between a dinosaur and a mosquito. But that's where my limited brain capacity ends. I am too dumb to see how wowp (p= planes) and wows (s=ships) can be mixed up? Please, get me out of the woods on this one. Not only you OP, every other player of even WG themselves. I am starving to get a idiotic simple answer which even I can understand. Because this marvelous game is losing me.

I'll try to aid you, but my experience with children might be lacking, so you'll have to excuse me for that.

So, let's start with your reasoning. While you very aptly point towards significant differences between planes and ships, the problem with your logic is that, following it, the game shouldn't also have things like, for example, shells. After all, I'm sure you'll agree with me that a shell fired from a gun is more dissimilar to a ship than even a plane would be, right? A shell flies (somewhat similar to a plane but not at all like a ship), is pretty light (lighter even than a plane, usually) and doesn't even have a propeller or a crew (two major points in common between a ship and a plane). A case could be made for the presence of torpedoes (they move in the water, at the very least, which is one of the defining qualities of a ship) - but shells are clearly out of the question. One could also dispute the presence of guns - they are mounted in place and just turn a bit - but a strong case could be made for them being integral to the ships they are mounted on, justifying their presence as long as no shells are fired from them.

Of course, there is also a different way to look at things. To put it simply, the general idea is to interpret "World of Warships" as a game that has a theme that goes beyond just "ships" and taps into the broader subject of "naval combat". If you take that perspective, suddenly a lot of things get clearer. For example, it's only natural that ships will not only have guns but that these guns will be firing shells in order to inflict damage on other ships. Similarly it makes sense that aircraft carriers will, well, carry aircraft - and, what's more, that these aircraft would need to have the capability to take off and attack ships away from the hull of the carrier itself. Carriers, as we know, are ships, and them attacking other ships constitutes naval combat (so the situation falls under the theme) and the primary means by which carriers fight is by using onboard aviation to deliver payload (usually bombs or torpedoes) to the intended targets.

Now, to sum up our findings: a game focused on looking at ship models would have no need for shells or on-ship aviation (at least as long as we're talking functional aircraft rather than deck decorations meant to underline the character and role of aircraft carriers). If, however, someone was instead planning to make a game about naval combat, it would be necessary to implement means by which the ships in question fight, be it vaguely ship-like objescts like torpedoes or implements completely dissimilar: shells and armed, flight-capable aircraft. There would also be, of course, a necessity to design relevant and engaging methods by which a player is given control over various types of armament - in many cases this could be done by still retaining the ship-based PoV (at most switching between various turrets and torpedo launchers) but, obviously, the same approach wouldn't work for airplanes that (unlike shells and most torpedoes) retain much more ability to react to changing situation even long after getting separated from the hull of their ship of origin.

Ok, that's all. I tried to make the explanation reasonably accessible to 6 year olds and I think at least some of them would understand it, but I can't be sure about all. I did my best, though. If that's not enough, you'll have to ask someone smarter and with more experience with explaining things to preschoolers, sorry. I do hope that I managed to be at least a bit helpful; if not - I wish you more luck with finding someone capable of explaining it in a simpler manner :Smile_honoring:

Players
5,442 posts
6,757 battles
13 minutes ago, eliastion said:

They don't block AA. They block spotting and if your planes aren't spotted, they don't suffer from AA. If, however, something spots them (other planes, some ship on "your" side of the mountain") the AA gets you right through any obstacles.

Well, that's retarded...

Sign in to follow this