You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

Cv rework poll - keeping dementia at bay

Change and adaptation  

154 members have voted

1. 1. How do view the changes in WoWs?

• I accept them and will try to adapt to the new meta - I'm below 35 years of age
    • I accept them and will try to adapt to the new meta - I'm 35 years of age or above
    • I resent them and will look at other options or try to enjoy the game in some way - I'm below 35 years of age
    • I resent them and will look at other options or try to enjoy the game in some way - I'm 35 years of age or above
    • Other
    • Why??!

32 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
3,585 posts
14,096 battles

I think many of the forumites have been around from 2015, when 2 lines were available. A slow progress with a few additions here and there has kept things fairly stable. Smoke, radars, stealth-fire ban, etc adjusted the meta. but I think this rework kind of blows the old game away for something new, and many players have a tough time adjusting.

Things will probably keep changing on a weekly basis until thing settles. I'm not sure the game will be better in the end, but I hope it will be in a few months. I wonder if the slightly older demographic of WoWs have a tougher time accepting these large scale changes after 3 years of stable evolution.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,228 posts
8,306 battles

There might also be a competence correlation with acceptance of the new gameplay too: I'm an old git and, although I'm deeply irritated that my DDs are mostly royally screwed at the moment, I'm not finding the new gameplay that hard to adapt to, so far.

That said, I was distinctly tuberous before the update, and will probably remain distinctly tuberous after it too.

For the better players, many of their carefully refined plays and stratagems have been rendered either useless, or in urgent need of tweaks; I suspect this may be harder to deal with than merely sucking in a different way this week, compared to last...?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[DREAD]
Players
7,523 posts
5,751 battles
6 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

I think many of the forumites have been around from 2015, when 2 lines were available. A slow progress with a few additions here and there has kept things fairly stable. Smoke, radars, stealth-fire ban, etc adjusted the meta. but I think this rework kind of blows the old game away for something new, and many players have a tough time adjusting.

Things will probably keep changing on a weekly basis until thing settles. I'm not sure the game will be better in the end, but I hope it will be in a few months. I wonder if the slightly older demographic of WoWs have a tougher time accepting these large scale changes after 3 years of stable evolution.

God this poll is awful! Couldn’t you pick 40 instead of 35...?

I feel like an old fart now!

(on topic: I think it’s great that there is something happening on CVs and I welcome this change. Will play them now regularly)

• Funny 6

[NWP]
Players
5,864 posts
7,147 battles

As long as they are balancing the new CVs, i wont play too much. Last week i didnt play random battles at all. Today i played a couple after the hotfix, and it felt like business as usual.

If the CVs are balanced and the hype has settled down, ill continue to play. If they feel unbalanced for me, i might quit the game (also depends how they handle other stuff which are currently hot issues).

Not sure if i wanna play CVs myself tho.

[UNICS]
Players
3,585 posts
14,096 battles
8 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Not sure if i wanna play CVs myself tho.

Try them. I found it more enjoyable than I thought I would. I doubt I'll continue to tier 10, but just doing tier 4 for a change of pace and to see what all the fuss was about, was pretty fun.

Players
183 posts
11,672 battles
10 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

After the hotfix that poll is actually irrelevant. So erase this and make a new one describing also the game's version at the time of posting this time. 

[ONE2]
Players
2,878 posts
16,793 battles

Hhhey!:Smile-angry:That's age racism, you know. You totally missed 1 option @loppantorkel Lad. :Smile_sad:

To us Geezers for whom it's already too late to keep that pesky dementia at bay.:cap_old::

"I am over 55 years old and don't have a clue of what the :etc_swear: you're talkin' about.":Smile_great:

image.png.5c1d6c5efcf88be34a96dc006e3b484f.png

• Funny 5

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

I'm well above 35 but mentally flexible enough to learn the ropes of any game i buy. That is the benefit of being a gamer i guess, dementia will probably be far off. Gamers can even redirect events in their nightmares better then other people science says, as we are used to cheating AI's, weird non existent worlds and situations  and used to bending set rules in our favour :-)))

Changing game mechanics i can handle......it's the nerf bat that hit CV rework that is unreasonable for CV players. Watching your aircraft explode and an empty deck CV is no fun gameplay. Or having to hold back to prevent this, and seeying negative credits as a "reward" for playing.

• Cool 1

Players
3,217 posts
14,819 battles
12 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

I wonder if the slightly older demographic of WoWs have a tougher time accepting these large scale changes after 3 years of stable evolution. 

I don't like the changes and, yes, I am very much part of the older section of the player base. I am aware that many older people tend to be resistant to change, but I am actually very keen on changes in all aspects of life (so long as these changes are "progress" in some form)

My main objection to the changes is that carrier play has been transformed from a strategic RTS style to an arcade fly-a-plane style.

I've tried several aeroplane games over the years ranging from flight simulators to the moronic blam-blam-blam attack style of the CV rework. I have disliked all of them.

I would have tried to work through a CV line or two  in the old RTS style, but I won't touch CVs in the reworked format. It saddens me that one of the 4 "ship" types is now closed to me. :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

I'm 38 and I do welcome the changes but think we are a long way from it being balanced.

Currently AA is actualy pretty balanced, almost historical to be honest. Thing is, fleets where not attacked by one flight of 9 aircraft but by multiple squadrons.

I'd say to keep the AA as it is but increase the size of the squadrons.

Either way it's a step to closing the gap between a cv dominating the game or doing nothing..

[KAKE]
Players
1,681 posts
3,971 battles
16 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

I'm 40, and picked "other", because currently I'm not decided.

I wasn't interested in playing the RTS CVs, but I was fine with having them in the game. If you knew how to react to them, you could usually mitigate a fair amount of the damage they dealt, and their balance against non-CVs wasn't anywhere near as atrocious as is often claimed. The main issues were with the CV-vs-CV game.

I don't like the rework as it stands, because the CV gameplay itself isn't terribly exciting, and the balance particularly against DDs is out of whack. And regardless of the other balancing changes they do, I doubt they can make the new CVs balanced against the majority of DDs. Primarily because I don't think they're willing to "kill their darlings" and do the one thing that actually needs to be done: get rid of the attack planes.

(Of course, that's going to make the CV gameplay even more boring, so I can sort of see the point. But still.)

Overall, I don't think I'll have issues adapting from a tactical point of view. I just suspect that the rework is going to make the game permanently less fun for me because one of the more interesting classes becomes less playable and the "more accessible" (i.e. boring) CVs do not make up for that.

Players
1,676 posts
12,874 battles

30y here. The rework killed CVs for me. It's not like I couldn't adapt but I simply choose not to. I detest the new gameplay and will not touch this class ever again as long as it stays this way. Return to RTS (with changes obviously) and I might even buy my premiums back.

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
145 posts
3,949 battles

42. Happy to adapt to the evolution of the game, but not sure it's the best rework. 

As previously mentioned, the biggest issue was CV-CV gameplay, with good players disproportionately affecting the outcome of the battle after deplaning the opposing CV. 

The simplest way to fix that would have been to remove fighters, or strafing, or tweaks some of the mechanics around that.

But WG being WG we have to go full rework with limited testing and deal with months of trying to correct what is fundamentally unbalanced class.

Thing is, even after all the changes, CVs remain a disconnected low-risk orbital strike play style that has either no effect on a match, or completely dominates. 

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

In essence all they really had to do was remove fighters and manual drops.

Tweak the auto drop range and the good players would be able to set up the killer crossdrops, potatoes would poratoe with miss-aiming and not working the angles properly without it being massively one sided.

The arcade style does work and can be fun but AA is too strong and it's too easy to lose a whole flight at low tier and high tier it's a valid tactic to bully dds.

Played ranget on co-op, game came down to 3 bbs close together and me. Whatever angle I tried to hit the bbs, the flak just murdered every plane.

• Cool 1

[BS4]
Players
1,049 posts
6,038 battles
3 hours ago, aboomination said:

@loppantorkel you never go full retard - unless it was intentional and you're trying to troll

Very Wise words....

KWQNSNP.jpg

Im of the opinion the game has got actually better now that cv's are back in the game itself.....I missed the element of shooting planes out of the sky and im enjoying experimenting with AA builds......besides the graphics and sound effects are great and only lend to game IMO.

I feel a missing element has returned to WOWS even though there are mixed feelings about it at present.

All things change. Adapt or die.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
3,228 posts
8,306 battles
2 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Im of the opinion the game has got actually better now that cv's are back in the game itself.....I missed the element of shooting planes out of the sky and im enjoying experimenting with AA builds.

This.

Whilst there is clearly a lot of work still needed to make the rework not blow goats (and ducks. and chickens. and all manner of other farmyard animals), it has already added back in a dimension that had been lacking, and made it worth speccing/building for - assuming the latest hotfix doesn't drive everyone away.

For example, the American DDs have got a bit more interesting due to having planes to reliably shoot at again (admittedly at the cost of all the DDs without at least tolerable AA); I've been having fun lately experimenting with different builds on things like Kidd, Feltcher, Gearing etc. - prior to the rework, they basically all got the usual cookie-cutter DD build because you never saw any planes of consequence. I even ventured some coal on a Def AA magic upgrade for Kidd last night, to see what would happen.

So, if tweaks and balances can maintain a consistent CV population in most (all would be nice) games, whilst still allowing sneaky DDs to be relevant, and reaching a point of reasonable balance, I'll start to consider the rework a success - not holding my breath though, and part of me still thinks the same end could have been more easily reached by 'just' fixing the RTS CVs. What do I know though?

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
3,585 posts
14,096 battles
6 hours ago, aboomination said:

@loppantorkel you never go full retard - unless it was intentional and you're trying to troll

What? Going full retard wouldn't be suitable for the respectable members of this forum :cap_cool:

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles

I picked other.

Over +35, disagree with the change direction,... and with age I learned...adapt or die, since I am not ready to die...

[PLD]
Players
83 posts

I am on the second vote but even so we need to stand firm and let them know when the go out of line.

If there aim is to get new players ( or old ) to take up cv play the need to have it playable for the average Joe.   

Players
718 posts
8,427 battles

Well it's a shambles at the moment, but a overall very positive change. That the old CV fanbois are birthing kittens is an added bonus. 

• Funny 1

Players
718 posts
8,427 battles
On 2/8/2019 at 6:59 AM, loppantorkel said:

What? Going full retard wouldn't be suitable for the respectable members of this forum :cap_cool:

True, but we are talking about you.

Players
1,633 posts
5,964 battles
On 2/7/2019 at 7:11 PM, loppantorkel said:

You reference to dementia is not a nice thing, who knows maybe karma will bite you in the arse. I hope you dont forget this message

Beta Tester
4,041 posts
16,202 battles

I'll be 59 in summer and I still do my best to try to keep this game fun for me...

Right now that means:

• sold all non-premium ships from class/country combinations I don't really played that much or want to play in the future meaning
    - US Cruisers... didn't ever like them much, so it was good bye for them
    - all russian non-premium ships... now I probably still have a larger russian navy than the russians had around WWII

• Lower tiers get even more priority for me than before. Right now I don't see a bit of motivation to try to get any more classes/nations to T10 (except for Yamato.. want to have her..)

If WG continues to mess with the game and reduce my fun when playing it, I am sure I will find some other way to spend my free time... right now that point is not yet (!) reached, but it gets closer with every dumb design change WG introduces...

[PORT]
Beta Tester
289 posts
10,442 battles

I don't like the changes. But that doesn't mean I cannot accept the new mechanics.

What I really really dislike is that we are now live, with paying customers, playing with real stats and money, basically balance testing their new CV changes.

It's like all the months/years spent in alpha, closed beta and open beta were for nought. And we expect to balance a new CV rework within days given the level of patience of the gaming community today?

• Cool 1