0.8.1 PTS - General Feedback

69 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,701 posts
2,666 battles

Captains,

Please leave any general feedback about update 0.8.1 here. Should your feedback concern one of the following topics, please leave it in the respective thread:

As always you can find a run-down of the upcoming changes on our portal: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/public-test/bulletin-081/

Alpha Tester
473 posts
729 battles
21 minutes ago, ElCenturio said:

Update does not Install, regardless what I try. Reinstalling does not work.

Same problem here, it ends up downloading until it has ~18GB left and then it just crashes and keeps on retrying to no success. The launcher and the game as well are added to firewall exceptions

[-TXG-]
Players
22 posts
6,201 battles

What are the "Crowns & Florins" for? I can't see anything in the notes, nothing in the arsenal to indicate any kind of use!

The description on test is in Russian, me stoopid only speakee english.

In order to test the T10 missions, there are no T10's available, no reduction on xp to reach those ships either

[CHAOS]
[CHAOS]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
591 posts
7,957 battles

The needed experience to level the ships is not discounted - from North Carolina to Iowa you need the full amount like on the Live Server

[BODEM]
Players
439 posts
5,346 battles
Alle 7/2/2019 alle 18:56, TheOneAndOnlyGoldstein ha scritto:

Same problem here, it ends up downloading until it has ~18GB left and then it just crashes and keeps on retrying to no success. The launcher and the game as well are added to firewall exceptions

I got the same problem. Launcher says it can not instal the updates. Then it tries to resume the download, but fails. After that it says again it cannot instal the updates, etc, etc.

Alle 7/2/2019 alle 19:09, Flobdeth ha scritto:

What are the "Crowns & Florins" for? I can't see anything in the notes, nothing in the arsenal to indicate any kind of use!

The description on test is in Russian, me stoopid only speakee english.

In order to test the T10 missions, there are no T10's available, no reduction on xp to reach those ships either

"You can gain access to the new ship branch using Crowns and Florins, temporary resources that can be used in the Arsenal. Exchange them on the main server to get the following British aircraft carriers: flag_United_Kingdom.png elite.png IV Hermesflag_United_Kingdom.png elite.png VI Furious, and flag_United_Kingdom.png elite.png VIII Implacable."

"Crowns can be earned for completing the Directives of the "Fly! Strike! Win!" event, while Florins come from new British "Air Supply" containers. These particular containers may also drop a combat mission that can reward those who complete it with one of the following British ships: Edinburgh (Tier VIII), Hood (Tier VII), Duke of York (Tier VII), and Vanguard (Tier VIII)."

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/public-test/bulletin-081/

• Cool 1

Players
308 posts
9,248 battles

Same problem here regarding the install. Get so far then...... "unable to complete install" .

• Cool 1

Players
3 posts
20,089 battles
Real Wargaming Strategy! You are asked to test it, even if you can't download it! I've been trying at least 5x last night since 18:00, and it always stops at 9%. What is this? Hidden closed beta test ?!
  • Cool 1

Players
308 posts
9,248 battles

Thought I would try again this morning, but I am afraid the problem still persists.........stuck at 9%.

Some kind of explanation would be helpful.

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,701 posts
2,666 battles
17 hours ago, ElCenturio said:

Update does not Install, regardless what I try. Reinstalling does not work.

Unfortunately it seems we are having some issues with deploying the PTS client - it is already being worked on.

My apologies for the issue!

Players
308 posts
9,248 battles

Interestingly I just put a ticket into support, and I got a reply (usual generic copy/paste reply) but almost immediately the client started to download.....................Did someone forget to switch it on?

Players
69 posts
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

Unfortunately it seems we are having some issues with deploying the PTS client - it is already being worked on.

My apologies for the issue!

Ive got the update but cannot conect to the server it just tells me my email or password are wrong .... they arent ?

never mind im logged in now for some reason

[BAD-F]
[BAD-F]
Beta Tester
71 posts
7,764 battles

Hi All I finally got in, heres how

1) downloading issue, just persevered, eventually GC downloaded the update

2) unable to log in issue: I regularly update my password, I tried an old password and that worked! so the password is NOT the same as my normal account.

hope this helps, post if it works for you

Players
3 posts
20,089 battles
So it was a pity to waste my time on this test. Co-op battle has the same brutal air defense on ships as before, though not bigger. I can crawl anyway just lie that you can avoid the AA fire. The damage caused is still not worth the loss. What's more, because the airplanes are not damaged by flies, as the flies are, there is a constant minus credit from the battles. If it stays that way and this Idiot plane remains in the CV mode, then uninstall and Wargaming back my money, but especially give me my time.

[BAD-F]
[BAD-F]
Beta Tester
71 posts
7,764 battles

Hi played a few games now, guess the fly/strike/win mission sequence doesn't mean much on the pt and cant do the missions that need the unavailable Brit premiums. shame no UK cv's to try but.

overall good, I still think the planes are a problem, so in the minotaur with a partly aa build the planes do get eaten, but in a bb etc the torp bombers drop so close and the damage is so high that the only defence seems to be pray a cruiser comes to help you. 

Basically I think the quick fix WG should try is to have a PT test day with only one CV a side and another with only 2 a side and compare the feedback from cv and non cv players, I suspect that for now one is far better, but after some months of refinement you may be able to go to 2. for now if 2 cv's think joined up and attack a BB its finished regardless of what it does-- I think

Oh and love the multi open container change, really great job WG, next lets have a "Dismount all signals" button pleeease. I play Co-op sometimes and never use signals but the 8x off 8 x on signal change is a real drag.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
84 posts
5,192 battles

I would like to see the symbol for hydro/radar to stay over the ship as long as it is running.

Multi container open gets my approval, simply more convenient.

[WBF]
Players
7 posts
15,023 battles

I'd like to ask what is wg's plan for airplane gaming? Because it lacks logic, this game mode is distorted. Bad.
Observations:
1, the disguise of airplanes, despite skills and modules, is horrible, many times you notice an enemy cruiser when it is already hit by an air defense fire.
2, enemy ships soon see flying bondage and maneuver, so the bearer is at a serious disadvantage when the attack begins.
3, airplane survival is ridiculous, although there are skills and modules. One attack will absorb the power of the bond, 2-3 attacks and the end of the game. I continue to say that there is no proportion of machine loss with allocated damage.
4, American torpedo aircraft targeting system has joke, bad joke. Chances of injury are possible if the player controls the stick level.
5, Bombers with side lettering damage is minimal or impossible, but it is often difficult to maneuver in an air defense fire to attack a shipwreck.
6, rng is poorly set, in many cases well targeted attack, 0 dmg.

Because of the low number of injuries, achieving an elite captain's award is a serious problem and becomes meaningless.

Players
15 posts
4,844 battles

I tried, but sorry, I just cant find fun in this new CV design.  For half a minute you watch your planes fly and when finally coming close to enemy you can watch them getting annihilated within seconds. Or, if you're lucky and enemy has not skilled AA, you get through but dont do that much damage to make it worth all the time you wasted before. And although the overall dmg seems a little better now it just seems too much random, depending how strong enemy AA is. You can evade yes, but it seems near impossible to evade AA clouds enough, just hitting one cloud almost completely destroys your squad.

I know, I am an average player at best, but if CV now is only for the best of best players it is not for me; and certainly not for new players. This [edited] talk about skillgap was obviously a lie.

The other thing is the game in game feeling. You dont feel like being part of the team at all anymore. It's mor like playing an arcade game parallel to the others playing WoWs. You cannot contribute to the match apart of some dmg. OK spotting, but that is not a tactical job, it just happens automatically as you fly your attacks. You cannot fend off other planes anymore. You cannot put pressure on a flank bcs they just lough about you coming if they have half decent AA. You are more or less useless to your team.

So overall, honestly tell me, what is the fun about CV now? And why should I or other average/ new players play it??? (apart from a little AirSim feeling once in a while)

• Cool 1

Players
2,109 posts
14,325 battles

I disapprove of the changes of the Shards map even after only a limited number of games. The changes of the islands around the flank seem to follow the general trend of dumbing down the game, which I think is wrong and dangerous. This simply is not a game for dumb people. It will be ultimately impossible to make it appealing to dumb people. It is definitely possible to scare away the current core clientele in the process though. And the extra islands in B give even more cover to HE spammers, and those are overpowered in the current meta anyway. I see no upside

The port improvements work. While the port is not yet as responsive as I think it ought to be, it is a lot less laggy even on my system, which is fairly up-to-date but on the low end  of the spectrum. This is great. Keep it up.

I do think it should remain possible for players to completely switch off the music in settings though, not just turn down the volume to zero. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the music is still playing, albeit at zero volume, it is still using up computing resources and it is thus still impairing the performance, however small the actual performance loss may be. This just bugs me, I guess it triggers my OCD whenever I think about it.

Not sure about the interface changes, specifically regarding the automatic signalling of consumable use to team mates. Granted, sending the message that hydro is on does make life easier for those who try to be good team players and communicate these things in chat. Also, players able and willing to pay attention, will suffer less from team mates too lazy to communicate. However, the lazy guys now have even less incentive to even try to get into the habit of communicating. Or to make the effort to acquire the necessary basic English skills, for that matter. What the game needs is the opposite - stronger encouragement of communication. There is no way to predict how it will work out but there is a chance this might turn out counterproductive. Also while there are exceptions, I find automation is often detrimental to the gaming experience, lessening the player's engagement. The pinnacle of that trend is of course the automated consumable use on the new CVs.

The changes to the flooding mechanics also appear questionable. Misplays should be punished. These changes appear to be another effort to further dumb down the game by minimizing such punishment, strangely while at the same time making the actual mechanics more difficult to understand. Also I don't get the rationale by which torp hits to the bow no longer automatically mean flooding.

Changes in interface sound effects are OK for me; while mostly not strictly necessary and not an eye opener as such, I do seem to notice they aim at generally being a bit softer and avoid grating sounds, banging and general harshness. This is a good thing in a game where a lot of explosions and gunfire occur anyway, which can cause ear fatigue in extended sessions. So it's a good thing for the "interface sounds" not adding more unnecessary stress.

What has not been changed though are some grating and harsh sound effects that I'd absolutely wish had been changed, as I suggested earlier in the Suggestions thread: The "ripping velcro" sound of new collection items being revealed. The strange "spring being tensioned" sound at the end of the main gun loading cycle in some smaller-gunned ships like Friant seems to have been attenuated but is not completely gone. However, if you stay in binocular mode, it now has a super strange delay effect on it, making it sound as if it came from some bathroom far away in the bowels of the ship. And all in all, the mix is unbalanced, with explosions of my own shells on targets (several km away) sometimes louder than my own gunfire etc. Maybe I screwed the mix up in my attempt to balance it myself - I didnt notice much untoward before when playing Baltimore and Monarch.

Also maybe it's just me but I have a strangely hard time getting a well balanced sound volume mix in the Audio settings because it is unclear which sounds are "SFX", which ones are "Interface" and which ones are "Ambience". Some examples would be good maybe. Or a test sample being played when you mess around with the sliders.  What slider do I need to turn down to lower the volume of that 'womp' orchestral hit when joining / leaving the battle queue? No matter what I do, this one effect seems to remain a lot louder than any other sound in the game, which is distracting, especially when using headphones. Don't have this problem with the regular game client.

The modified visual effect when the ship is destroyed - the drama queen zoom-out really gets on my grille after like the third or fourth time and I really hate that the image gets black-and-white. Many CCs probably  do, too, I don't think it makes for great streaming video. However, the changes once again fail to address the one thing I thought should be changed about the destruction sequences, and which I also suggested earlier: the destroyed ship still immediately stops in its tracks as though it hit a reef. This looks very unnatural. If the destroyed ship instead kept gliding on for a while, bleeding off the remaining speed more slowly and gradually, that would add a lot more to the realism.

Also it said in the developer bulletin "It’s now possible to exchange credits for combat signal bundles in the Arsenal." Of course I expected to see that in the PTS Arsenal as well but either I'm too blind to find them or they aren't there. Also there is no way to spend the new yet-another-in-game-currency Florins, which seems strange.

Also, if you are testing directives of the Fly-Strike-Win Event with missions that can only be completed in certain premium ships, like the British premium BBs needed for the "Fundamental Knowledge" mission, then there should be a way to acquire these ships on the PTS, or else they should be in the test port from the outset.

So much for now.

Seeing as though apparently sound effects have been changed across the board, it would be a good idea to reduce the XP required to unlock lower tier ships as well, so players can more easily check if they like the changes to some old favourites. For example, I always loved the strange and unique sound of the Nürnberg guns, but to get that ship, I would need to grind out some 20,000 XP, and from the looks of it, mostly in Co-op battles since there are no other players for lower tier random battles around.

[TEMPX]
[TEMPX]
Players
9 posts
16,349 battles

I had several games with absurd numbers of planes shot down. E.g. in a Henri: 158 planes down against 3 CVs

Players
2,109 posts
14,325 battles

Sending the automatic chat message "I am using surveillance radar" is a bit more questionable than the hydro message. On most ships, the radar duration is too short for this to be beneficial. Also radar does not give off torpedo warning. A major benefit of knowing that a nearby team mate has his hydro running is the knowledge that you will get advance warning of torpedoes from that direction.

Granted, the radar notice does make more sense than I first thought it did, because of the simultaneous change of the radar mechanics where team mates only see the radared targets after a few seconds of delay. This way, they get at least a little advance notice that a target might pop up in a few seconds. However, for radar use to be the most effective, it usually takes some positioning on the part of the team mates, which takes more time than six seconds, so players ideally should still communicate in advance.

In any event, the messages are too wordy for my taste, which clutters up the chat and detracts from the realism. This kind of thing should be phrased tersely. "Hydro is on" is what I usually type in chat, and "Hydro is out" which is almost more important because team mates need to be aware there will be no more advance torp warning from me! For the radar, just drop the word "surveillance", it is much too big a word anyway. English speakers are too lazy for big words, by and large. "Radar is on" is enough.

What SHOULD be included though is the ship name because otherwise, players will often have to go through the team line-up to find out what ship the radaring player is in anyway, and if the message even is relevant to them in their current position. And in the continued absence of proper reference materials, which should be a higher priority than many many changes implemented in this update, believe it or not but many players don't even know about the miracle of holding the tab key.

Edit: another thing I'd appreciate is if you made a greater variety of camouflages available to players on the PTS. And preferably those should be the more attractive camos. Currently, everybody is sailing around in the Union Jack. Granted, it is one of the prettier ones but variety is the spice of life, and of course you could even get some marketing mileage out of it, showcasing what is currently on sale in the camo department.

• Cool 2