Radar Rework

18 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,701 posts
2,666 battles

Captains,

Please share your feedback regarding the changed radar mechanics here.

Players
1 post
10,303 battles

Hi, i made several games with Pan DDs. And the result is: i was most of the game visible. So i escaped most of the time .  Give me only one reason, why longer play dd ??

Beta Tester
84 posts
5,250 battles

I like that rest of the team now can see that you pop radar or hydro. Would like the symbol for radar/hydro to stay as long as it is active.

Quality Poster
1,685 posts
8,770 battles

I've got to say, the effect of this is not really noticeable.

Six seconds in which you're engaged by only one ship doesn't save a DD.

I am not even sure you can turn around a DD like Harugumo at full speed, it has the turning circle of a cruiser.

Most other DDs wouldn't be in a much better position.

Plus, if that one ship shooting you is a cruiser and his team pays attention, then that still hurts a lot, followed by his teammates pouncing on you the second they can.

This game revolves around capping, but DDs consistently get punished for trying to do their job.

And even if this would give a DD a bit more chance to escape, it is completely undone by being the first target of almost every CV player.

When I play CVs in the current reworked situation, that is what I do, but I also see other CV players do that.

Just attack a DD a few times with rockets, keeping him spotted, so your teammates can jump on the bandwagon too.

All in all, this is nice, but too little and quite frankly, maybe too late.

Playing DDs has become consistently more difficult since CBT and although I am basically a DD main, I am very close on giving up on them in random.

Too much trouble for the odd game where you can excel.

[ASEET]
Players
48 posts
6,187 battles
On 2/7/2019 at 10:12 PM, non_visibilis said:

Hi, i made several games with Pan DDs. And the result is: i was most of the game visible. So i escaped most of the time .  Give me only one reason, why longer play dd ??

Play Ashasio or Shima :Smile_trollface: Torpedos are still very strong, long range & low detection helps after radar is at cool down. Maybe even bait radar and cap. 

On 2/8/2019 at 6:51 PM, Fluffy_Pillow said:

I like that rest of the team now can see that you pop radar or hydro. Would like the symbol for radar/hydro to stay as long as it is active.

Indeed. Anything what gives a small change to improve teamplay will be worth the try.

[BG-DR]
Players
2 posts
4,112 battles

Hello all,

I've play couple of games with radar ships and DDs, I realy like the rework..

The entire team knows when i use hydro/radar, which is very helpful for teamplay..

I dont know if the DDs have enough time (i think the time is 6 sec.) to take actions to cover/run etc.for most of the hier tier DDs it will take more time to turn around, but still it is better to have some time to escape. 

So it is step in the right direction.. :) 

[PORT]
Modder
1,714 posts
12,225 battles

That's really looking nice. And finally the chat is more usefull :Smile_trollface:

[A-Z]
Players
217 posts

For the radar user:

I've just got a radar duration buff and my team now know when I used it without typing it on chat. Lets wipeout destroyers.

For the radar user teammate:

He just used radar, we know about it and the target will be here in just a few sec. Lets wipeout destroyers.

For destroyers players:

Why I even play this class? First, anti-destroyers Aircraft Carrier rework (insane spotting speed and disgustingly effective rockets, not to mention of AA nerf). Second, flooding nerf (minor, but still nerf). And third, nearly all radars got duration buff.

Yes, destroyers got this 6 second so called "advantage" before rest of enemy team open fire on them, but in practice... In practice it's works only when destroyer is on the edge of the radar range (and no plane is spotting it) and can escape from it in those 6 second, if not... We all know what happen.

For smoke cruisers players:

6 second? What 6 second? On other words, this change nothing in practice.

Summary:

Ok, I understand why You make radar duration easier to remember and I'm perfectly fine with that, and I'm really happy to see, that You finally start to fixing this "broken radar", but... I really hope, that this "6 second" it's only the beginning, because it's practically useless in most of the situations.

Edit:

On 2/11/2019 at 12:44 AM, Peerlezz said:

(...) Shima Torpedos (...) low detection (...)

You just made my day :cap_like:.

Edited by Amaha
Update

[DLBN2]
Players
8 posts
215 battles

the rework is terrible, you should not release it, instead reduce amount of radars. Reduce the numbers of radar.

Cruisers are useless now, and paper ships need to leave their position, so gamelay was ending in chaos and cruisers exploeded faster than ever. Very bad change.

Reduce the number of radars and all is fine.

its ok when teammates see when i use radar, but sensless, when they see no dd. Good players also will see when a dd pop up abd focus them,  where is the problem wargaming to implement that radar nerv ?

In clanfights this will end in a disaster, because a good dd player never drive into radar range, and when my teammates not see the dd, they will never get sunk, because a cruiser can take out with one slavo.

Reduce radar in matchmaking or let them choose in clannfights only one or 2 radar and let them chosse radar or hydro, so all is fine, but not the radar nerv. That is the way to go wg.

Players
817 posts
On 2/15/2019 at 12:14 PM, Amaha said:

Yes, destroyers got this 6 second so called "advantage" before rest of enemy team open fire on them, but in practice... In practice it's works only when destroyer is on the edge of the radar range (and no plane is spotting it) and can escape from it in those 6 second, if not... We all know what happen.

Waste of time if WG think this 6 seconds helps DD players with radars. A useless change, and it won't help get DD players in top tier matches. I still wouldn't play a T8 or higher DD with this pathetic useless change.

WG don't get it that they need to reduce the number of radar ships in the game, and take away spotting ability completely for CV planes. High tier matches especially are flooded with way too many radar ships and why no sane DD player with half a brain wants to play at T8 level or above. And now you also have CV perma-spotting DD as well on top of that at every tier level. Have you noticed now in matches that a DD hardly gets any spotting ribbons now for spotting enemy ships because the CV planes are spotting them all first.

I'm starting to see that WG don't really have any idea how to fix the problem they created with DD  play now being ruined. They are winging it trying to come up with half-baked solutions to try and fix the broken  game-play.

I was playing a T6 DD yesterday. One with 6.5 concealment and 10k torps. I was specifically playing that JAP DD on purpose because its torp range is way further than it's concealment and I was still being perma-spotted by CV all the time trying to shoot torps at enemy ships undetected. It's a f'ing joke now trying to play a DD and use it's concealment!

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
On 2/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Amaha said:

Why I even play this class? First, anti-destroyers Aircraft Carrier rework (insane spotting speed and disgustingly effective rockets, not to mention of AA nerf). Second, flooding nerf (minor, but still nerf). And third, nearly all radars got duration buff.

I feel the need to correct you. Only a minority of Radars got duration buffs - the ones where the duration was long enough that it didn't matter anyway didn't receive better duration - most of them got a range buff as a consolation instead :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[-TWA-]
Players
886 posts
12,229 battles

Wow so many horrible dd players commenting on this... 

The 6 seconds (which is already too big of an advantage) is not there for you to start turning after you get radared, speed up and get out before you start getting shot. Those 6 seconds aren't supposed to save you from acting like a completely braindead zombie, it's there to help you in situations where you have at least done 50% of what a decent DD player would have done in order to get out of a bad situation. What a bunch of completely lazy muppets you people are...

As i said earlier this change is completely broken... it is not enough to protect the bad DD players (case proven by posts above) and it's too overpowered in the hands of good DD players.

• Cool 5

[IHOP]
Players
1 post
4,753 battles

Yeah, increased radar duration is good for destroyers because the Omni tard has spoken.

[-TWA-]
Players
886 posts
12,229 battles
27 minutes ago, Pagan13 said:

Yeah, increased radar duration is good for destroyers because the Omni tard has spoken.

Hey i am sorry that increased spotting on the Cruisers and 6 whole seconds of not being rendered aren't enough for you to manage your distance from the radar source... it's ok maybe after another 4.5k battles you will learn how to navigate in your ship properly.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
55 posts
8,996 battles

IMHO jsut adding 6 seconds 3D render delay is not enough of a change (let´s remember the radared ship does instantaneoulsy appear on minimap, which is all you need to start turning slow turrets on point). Also, current radar concept on flat arch soviet ships is rather ackward... I´d much rather see a geenral change having radar range equal to gun range, much shorter duration (specially for soviet radar) and blocked by solid cover to emphasize open waters action aimed at getting general fleet info instead of peek a boo behind rocks DD wrecking... The excuse of this negatively affecting some classes, i.e. USN CLs, is just that, an excuse, because these CLs are just bad for the whole game, way too strong vs DDs and CVs, too retarded and unskilled vs BBs just farming IFHE buffed HE spam behind rocks... Radar should be LoS dependent, despite this hampering USN CLs, because these are just a way too gimmicky and absurd concept by themselves in need of a better concept than rock huggers, which just exacerbate the preexisting radar concept problems...

6 hours ago, Spithas said:

As i said earlier this change is completely broken... it is not enough to protect the bad DD players (case proven by posts above) and it's too overpowered in the hands of good DD players.

That.

Having said that, having automatic chat messages announcing the use of consumables, and visual feedback for the teammate to understand who used what consumable when, are perfect additions to the game.

[OCTO]
Players
978 posts
18,632 battles
On 2/19/2019 at 11:50 PM, Ungrim_Baraz said:

Having said that, having automatic chat messages announcing the use of consumables, and visual feedback for the teammate to understand who used what consumable when, are perfect additions to the game.

The great dumbification project carries on relentlessly - great progress!

[BHW]
Players
905 posts
2,537 battles
On 2/19/2019 at 5:30 PM, Spithas said:

Hey i am sorry that increased spotting on the Cruisers and 6 whole seconds of not being rendered aren't enough for you to manage your distance from the radar source... it's ok maybe after another 4.5k battles you will learn how to navigate in your ship properly.

since you are not always aware of the position of the radar ship and radar does work through islands, it is not easy to manage that at all times. playing around caps, ok ... you reverse into cap, try to cap as much behind cover as possible etc ... but that's not all situations where you encounter radar.

those 6 seconds in most cases give the team advance warning to turn their guns since the radar is not broadcast and you don't need to watch chat or pings ... I won't mention the radar range buff most ships got ...

a skilled player might have a better chance now, but we are still talking mainly randoms where most of the team ignores the radared DD quite often, so the radar cruiser got a net buff here ...

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
3,370 posts
7,895 battles
On 2/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Amaha said:

For the radar user teammate:

He just used radar, we know about it and the target will be here in just a few sec. Lets wipeout destroyers.

Teammate:

The radar last now shorter for me and the dd will have 6 seconds of an advance, while the Radar cruiser is behind an island and can't shoot anyways. DD escapes.

The grass is always greener on the other side :cap_haloween: