You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

"Concealment Expert" (CE) captain skill in post v0.8.x world for BBs - YES or NO?

33 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,528 posts
10,411 battles

Hi all,

"Concealment Expert" (CE) captain skill in post v0.8.x world for BBs - YES or NO?

I used this skill on all of my BBs as very 1st 4th row skill - because concealment was "additional armor" and it enabled engaging and disengaging with much greater flexibility for the player.

But come the v0.8.x and there are suddenly CVs everywhere and airplanes are spotting everything almost from the start almost all the time (with quick airplane rotation and constant attacks this is the new way of life now)...

So... "Concealment Expert" (CE) captain skill in post v0.8.x world for BBs - YES or NO?

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
60 posts
4,304 battles

Don`t know, everything changes very fast, take it that in few months (or weeks), hopefully CV numbers will decline and we will have again normal matches, then CE will be useful. I respeced captain to AA, but it was useless so moved back to CE build. Now the AA has been changed so i will probably try it again. (but it can be changed once again so who knows?) would be great if WG allowed to free respec captains once this "rework" is finished.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,200 posts
7,710 battles

Yes, all the way.

The nerf to CE doesn't change, that concealment is still the best trait ingame to engage or disengage at your own terms.

• Cool 3

[ONE2]
Players
2,878 posts
16,793 battles

Yeah, CV's do make it kinda redundant but just as @colonel_duce said. Wait and see is the best policy for now. I have reset all Captain skills to 0 and removed it even from my Cruisers and specced all the ships I use (basically just Atlanta and Cleve. Hehehe!) for AA for the time being. :Smile_Default:

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,640 posts
6,550 battles

So far I am very reluctanct to change any build since, as we already know, we have no idea how many fixes or patches we might go through before things stabilise. Changing my crews now only to have them completely outdated a week from now is just meh. So for BB's standard stealth/tank builds with the occasional AA upgrade or crew skill depending on what BB it is is what I'm running now.

Players
60 posts
4,304 battles

e.g. i replaced AA module on my FDG for the better range module. 

I could not shot down aircraft anyway and due to low range i could not hit anything while dancing in the torp soup.

[-GOD-]
Players
924 posts
15,317 battles
1 hour ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Yeah, CV's do make it kinda redundant but just as @colonel_duce said. Wait and see is the best policy for now. I have reset all Captain skills to 0 and removed it even from my Cruisers and specced all the ships I use (basically just Atlanta and Cleve. Hehehe!) for AA for the time being. :Smile_Default:

Same here. Most captains set to 0 points spent and waiting this one out playing CV's :P

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
5,864 posts
7,147 battles
2 hours ago, principat121 said:

The nerf to CE doesn't change, that concealment is still the best trait ingame to engage or disengage at your own terms.

This.

And when there is no CV in the match (which might be happening now after the hotfix) then CE is again highly valuable. In a CV game its only "less valuable" at times.

[AGK]
Players
20 posts
4,120 battles
4 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I used this skill on all of my BBs as very 1st 4th row skill - because concealment was "additional armor" and it enabled engaging and disengaging with much greater flexibility for the player.

But come the v0.8.x and there are suddenly CVs everywhere and airplanes are spotting everything almost from the start almost all the time (with quick airplane rotation and constant attacks this is the new way of life now)...

So... "Concealment Expert" (CE) captain skill in post v0.8.x world for BBs - YES or NO?

Leo "Apollo11"

"airplanes are spotting everything almost from the start almost all the time (with quick airplane rotation and constant attacks this is the new way of life now)"
Planes spot AT FIRST, right. Then you're on your own as usual. 
Plus, it's ONE SQUADRON vs 4+ going around. And the speed is roughly the same as before (a bit more, with "sprint").

So, all in all, if you play a CV, you'll see the difficulty and time spent going around if you want to spot the map consistently, and you should already experienced a big part of the map, far from the CV area of action, being "not lighted up", unless the same only squadron goes there.

CE is still important.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

Yez

[SM0KE]
Players
3,228 posts
8,306 battles

I rarely play BBs in randoms (too rubbish at them), but the impression I'm getting is that CE is still very viable - what's changed is that it's a bit less mandatory than it was before i.e. the number of ships where it 'has' to be your first four pointer has perhaps reduced somewhat?

I tend to agree (For all ships, pretty much) with those who suggest resetting all your captains, and waiting with most of them until the meta settles a bit. Do we have until the 11th (presumably four in the morning, or similar) on the current free reset/demount?

[BS4]
Players
1,049 posts
6,038 battles

Yes I still take CE on BB's when I play them because you still have to engage/fight other ships? Its not ALL about cv's. I take CE on most things because concealment is still key IMO. what happens when there aren't any cv's in the game?:Smile_amazed:

5 hours ago, RAHJAILARI said:

I have reset all Captain skills to 0 and removed it even from my Cruisers....

....aaaannnd that's just crazy Imo,,:Smile-_tongue:

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
159 posts
8,819 battles

I changed CE on my Republique for AFT, and since I used manual secondaries before, it makes gameplay even more fun.

[ONE2]
Players
2,878 posts
16,793 battles
21 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

....aaaannnd that's just crazy Imo,,:Smile-_tongue:

Not really bud, for the meantime I will only play Atlanta and Cleveland. Until the CV malarkey has settled and having already reset all Caps for free. I can next give them their new skill sets for free. You see only resetting skills costs you in terms of Elite XP or Doubloons, however assigning unused skill points without resetting is always free, so by doing this I can now afford to wait and see what comes out of all this and then set new optimal skills for my Caps, when the outcome and the resultant best skill combinations are clear.:Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
966 posts
9,785 battles

I run a no concealment build on the Massachusetts, full secondary build, with IFHE. I just have to use islands to remain unseen as I approach areas I want to be in. It can tank a bit. Whilst other RN BBs, I must use concealment as much as possible to disengage as I want. Depends on the ship really.

Now I'm tempted to try a no CE full secondary build on the German BBs

[NWP]
Players
5,864 posts
7,147 battles

Just played 3 games T9/10, 2 of those were without CV, so CE was as good as always (Kronshtadt/ Jean Bart). Had an annoying Mogami spamming me with HE, thx to CE i could go undetected in between and get my DCP back up :cap_tea:

• Cool 1

Players
4,112 posts
7,584 battles

On most BBs, for me, thats still a Yes. 100% for US, RN and IJN BB. German and french - you might think about speccing into secondaries more. But also the french BBs profit from CE so... 50/50 on that one. Whatever suits ones playstyle I guess.

@Leo_Apollo11 add a vote? would be easier to see the overall opinion.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Still needed...

Don't even want to think about using Vanguard without CE :fish_boom:

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

There are uses of concealment - even when nerfed a bit - that do well with new CV mechanics :

- Some AA type cruisers use it as a trap for aircraft, as they will be visible very late and the aircraft overflying it will receive ( a lot of ) damage without it being their choice.*

-Some AA type cruisers use it with BB as bait, only after closing in or beginning attack run does the AA type cruiser show up. The combined damage is very destructive.*

- Some BB use it to not show up if the aircraft fly past them at some distance. Not all aircraft fly near enough to spot you all the time.

- All use it to dissapear as fast as possible when aircraft fly off again, after attacking, saving seconds to minutes of being visible to all and receiving damage.

I really don't know if it is worth the points if you can't have something else instead, but it should have noticable effects.

* may be or not be intentional, but result is the same.

Players
1,077 posts
8,084 battles

I still run CE on every single ship apart from CV's.

On BB's it's still a major effect on your concealment range. And concealment range dictates how close I can run while retaining the option to get back in concealment to heal. And playing closer equals more accurate gunnery, as well as better support to and from your team's lighter ships. Better team cohesion, which wins games.

I used to generally run in it on CV's too, but with them I've actually dropped it. The planes are so fast now and there are too many important skills giving plane buffs.

• Cool 1

Players
419 posts
5,667 battles

I played the last week without it on my BB:s. 

Built into fire prevent and tankiness/AA

Getting into it with your cruisers made for a lot of impact on games and some kills too.

Yeah spotted most the time (as were most the conceal BB:s too) but with everyone building into AA (AA mod 1) most BB:s sniping from the back / concealment cant hit much anyway.

He spam yeah.. And the focus from carriers.. uhhh..

Unspecced all captains yesterday evening I dunno which way I will go from tomorrow

Players
203 posts
3,270 battles

I tried without but as long as "concealment = immunity" (you cant be shot if you cant be seen). Its mandatory. former post said everything need to be said though (post of jss78)

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,784 posts
16,165 battles

I actually spec'd out of CE on my Monty to get MAA instead.

Seems to work just fine tbh. I've had no trouble whatsoever and the extra AA was very much appreciated.

Then again do keep in mind that I am usually in a div with a CV when taking out any surface ship nowadays. Otherwise I'd be playing a CV myself.

Beta Tester
966 posts
9,785 battles

I took my Tirpitz out without CE. Captain used

PT

EM, AR

BFT, DE

AFT, MS

Loads of fun.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,528 posts
10,411 battles

Hi all,

Flamu's new "Montana" build... no AFT and no CE...

lNsWO9s.jpg

Leo "Apollo11"