Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OldPappy

Players Testing responsibility

24 comments in this topic

[GW_KR]
Players
88 posts
7,263 battles

Question:

Do we as a player community have a greater responsibility to play on the testserver?

The new cv line has been on the public testserver for 3 rounds before going live. I usually play on the PTS when it’s up at all sorts of hours. At the most, I have seen maybe 2000 players in there at any given time. 

This makes it hard to test in random battles on the PTS. There is simply a lack of players for full testing. 

Am I wrong in this? Have I missed the times when  PTS is filled with players?

Most of the time there are less than 1000 players online. 

So the question is if we have a bigger responsibility to make use of this opportunity to test the updates? If 30000 players are online on the PTS and they would have kicked up the debate about the new cv change BEFORE it went live, perhaps it would still be tested and not live?

I have roughly 4000 battles under my belt and for all the stats checkers I can disclose that I generally suck in this game. But I enjoy it very much usually. But being a mainly dd player I have a hard time adopting to the new change. Then again I had that when radars came as well. 😊

Perhaps WG should make the rewards for PTS play more interesting?

But I think everyone who played/plays on the PTS can agree that for real testing of this cv change it was an insufficient player base on the PTS. 

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

I find it discouraging that you spend time with no progress in game. With every tier the requirements multiply so there is no quick path to tier X.

Would i have arrived at tier X i certainly would consider it. Now i rather spend my time on the game. All in all we are testing it there too, and changes will be made that weren't obvious in testing.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,527 posts
10,411 battles

Hi all,

21 minutes ago, OldPappy said:

Question:

Do we as a player community have a greater responsibility to play on the testserver?

The new cv line has been on the public testserver for 3 rounds before going live. I usually play on the PTS when it’s up at all sorts of hours. At the most, I have seen maybe 2000 players in there at any given time. 

This makes it hard to test in random battles on the PTS. There is simply a lack of players for full testing. 

Am I wrong in this? Have I missed the times when  PTS is filled with players?

Most of the time there are less than 1000 players online. 

So the question is if we have a bigger responsibility to make use of this opportunity to test the updates? If 30000 players are online on the PTS and they would have kicked up the debate about the new cv change BEFORE it went live, perhaps it would still be tested and not live?

I have roughly 4000 battles under my belt and for all the stats checkers I can disclose that I generally suck in this game. But I enjoy it very much usually. But being a mainly dd player I have a hard time adopting to the new change. Then again I had that when radars came as well. 😊

But I think everyone who played/plays on the PTS can agree that for real testing of this cv change it was an insufficient player base on the PTS. 

I played all 3 rounds of last PTS... the biggest problem was that there were simply no players there... I ended up playing with BOTs most of the time... :Smile_amazed:

BTW, the biggest problem were CV players - if I took out DD / CA/CL / BB I never ever saw CV and was 100% unable to test new AA... :Smile_sad:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2

[WGB]
[WGB]
Community Contributor
2,115 posts
27,462 battles
26 minutes ago, OldPappy said:

This is the main reason. 

Lack of new ships to test, upcoming Tech-Tree & Premium ships should be available for testing too, as we did many moons ago with Kutuzov.

[ONE2]
Players
2,878 posts
16,793 battles

I'll stalwartly continue to refuse accepting responsibility for anything I do not actually get paid for.:Smile_bajan2:

image.png.9dc250df8359b4c5fc7112d2d6344af1.png

I only complain for free...:Smile_Default:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
24 minutes ago, OldPappy said:

No.

This is your time you're spending, you don't owe wargaming nothing. I've spent many hours on world of tanks test servers because I wanted to see the changes for myself, so I can adapt faster and to give feedback that wargaming didn't care about, back in those days there were no rewards for playing on test servers, idk how it is now. If wargaming can't make people play wows pts - well, why does it even matter? They'll say things are fair&balanced anyway.

[GW_KR]
Players
88 posts
7,263 battles
32 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I played all 3 rounds of last PTS... the biggest problem was that there were simply no players there... I ended up playing with BOTs most of the time... :Smile_amazed:

BTW, the biggest problem were CV players - if I took out DD / CA/CL / BB I never ever saw CV and was 100% unable to test new AA... :Smile_sad:

Leo "Apollo11"

Yes that is my experience too. Unable to test full out due to a lack of players. 

[GW_KR]
Players
88 posts
7,263 battles
31 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

I'll stalwartly continue to refuse accepting responsibility for anything I do not actually get paid for.:Smile_bajan2:

image.png.9dc250df8359b4c5fc7112d2d6344af1.png

I only complain for free...:Smile_Default:

😀👍🏻

yes thank the gods there is no tax on complaining!!

• Funny 1

[PORT]
Beta Tester, Players
187 posts
28,089 battles

How about offering, as an incentive. Part or all of the xp earned on PTS as free xp on the live server.

That way there is more of a return to time put in, than a selection of flags or 24hr premium time

• Cool 2

[GW_KR]
Players
88 posts
7,263 battles
26 minutes ago, orzel286 said:

No.

This is your time you're spending, you don't owe wargaming nothing. I've spent many hours on world of tanks test servers because I wanted to see the changes for myself, so I can adapt faster and to give feedback that wargaming didn't care about, back in those days there were no rewards for playing on test servers, idk how it is now. If wargaming can't make people play wows pts - well, why does it even matter? They'll say things are fair&balanced anyway.

No we dont really owe WG anything. True. But how many players tested in WOT? If there was as few as in WOWs then I understand why WG didn’t listen. The feeback base is simply too small to use as a guideline. But if 30000 players would test on regular basis wouldn’t it be different? 

You have a right to complain, my friend, as you have spent time testing. But if a player cannot be bothered to play PTS and leave a comment there but instead rage when the upgrade is live, haven’t they missed their chance to be very upset?

(A bit like you have no real right to complain about politics if you haven’t bothered to vote. 😊)

This is my question...

• Funny 1

[NC]
Beta Tester
65 posts
5,327 battles
2 minutes ago, OldPappy said:

No we dont really owe WG anything. True. But how many players tested in WOT? If there was as few as in WOWs then I understand why WG didn’t listen. The feeback base is simply too small to use as a guideline. But if 30000 players would test on regular basis wouldn’t it be different? 

You have a right to complain, my friend, as you have spent time testing. But if a player cannot be bothered to play PTS and leave a comment there but instead rage when the upgrade is live, haven’t they missed their chance to be very upset?

(A bit like you have no real right to complain about politics if you haven’t bothered to vote. 😊)

This is my question...

You do realize that for other games there are actually paid jobs for testing. This isn't something that the consumer has to do for free. Even testing medicine or anything else in life is paid for. So why should you test a game for free, or at bare minimum some premium days or 2 and a stack of signal flags. Sorry but that is a ripoff. Compared to other forms of testing.

[GW_KR]
Players
88 posts
7,263 battles
2 minutes ago, VonBroich said:

How about offering, as an incentive. Part or all of the xp earned on PTS as free xp on the live server.

That way there is more of a return to time put in, than a selection of flags or 24hr premium time

My thoughts exactly. The free xp is a very good idea!

Perhaps a long term reward as well? If you have participated in all PTS round over a longer period you get a more substantial reward. A ship? Special PTS reward ship only available if you play the required rounds?

5 minutes ago, VonBroich said:

• Funny 1

[GW_KR]
Players
88 posts
7,263 battles
1 minute ago, ca12nag3 said:

You do realize that for other games there are actually paid jobs for testing. This isn't something that the consumer has to do for free. Even testing medicine or anything else in life is paid for. So why should you test a game for free, or at bare minimum some premium days or 2 and a stack of signal flags. Sorry but that is a ripoff. Compared to other forms of testing.

If the game had not been free as a base game I would agree. But for a free game where you actually invest your time maybe you should take an interest in affecting the future of the game?

I am just saying if there would be more PTS players it would help feedback and development. 

• Funny 1

Players
3,068 posts
245 battles

I wonder instead of having a series rounds with a strict time frame change it into a period of maybe a whole month maybe 2 so that more players can get into the test server? And make them open 24/7 (if possible) as well?

that might help but im not entirely sure, also maybe copying data from the live server to pts and only allowing certain ships at higher tiers (if you havent unlocked already) to be made avalible for testing? I guess that way this would make more people test the aforementioned ships.

but then i have no clue if this would actually do anything or make the test servers worse.

oh and maybe rewards. My main issue with the pts time slots is that they almost always fall in during when im at uni so i cant do anything which is a shame.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,258 posts
7,665 battles
7 minutes ago, VonBroich said:

I think that for many players the lack of any rewards for testing are the main reason they won't do any testing.   The reward of some flags and premium time could induce some players into doing so.

However, it's not as if WoWS is being developed by a small community team it's being done so by a wealthy games company.

Maybe the way to get the volumes of players involved in testing is to run a period of time on the live servers where progress and achievements are retained.  In addition for the test period everyone gets premium time - if you already had premium then it would be extended by the period that the test period.  This test period would only happen after WG have completed tests on the PTS.

[KAKE]
Players
1,681 posts
3,971 battles

If WG actually wants players to join the PTS, the first thing they can do is not run PTS sessions for major game-changing patches in parallel with the :etc_swear:ing Christmas grind.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
829 posts

Well, for this PTS regarding the CVs, they had closed testing first and then it was PTS.

They were repeatedly told this wasn't any good. So why spend time on something that they will ignore anyway?

And regarding the number that are online on the PTS is inself Limited. Most of the time I can't get it cause it's full.

• Cool 1

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,184 posts
5,293 battles

I don't feel responsible at all for the state of the game.

I did the 3 CV tests, gave feedback each time and warned about some concerns I had about DD and AA (was too weak or too strong depending on the version), gave informations about bugs I saw or improvments to make.

Clearly, I was not the only one. Farazelleth showed how stealth torp was doable with Hakuryu, other testers on the forum spoke about the rockets on DD.

Did we foresee all the issues of this rework ? No, but I think we all agrre on the fact that the rework needed more time to adjust and test.

If things are broken now, it's all WG's fault. They rushed this rework on live server, they didn't test enough internally ( TBH, a common joke with my friends is that WG crew doesn't play their own games at all). 

[HEATH]
Players
161 posts
14,971 battles
17 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

If WG actually wants players to join the PTS, the first thing they can do is not run PTS sessions for major game-changing patches in parallel with the :etc_swear:ing Christmas grind.

Exactly main reason why i didnt had time to play on PTS. Toooooo many staff to do on live server.

[ANV]
[ANV]
Players
253 posts
3,261 battles
42 minutes ago, ca12nag3 said:

You do realise Wows has paid testers? 

Now whether or not you think they're doing a good job is another question entirely

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles
1 hour ago, OldPappy said:

But if 30000 players would test on regular basis wouldn’t it be different? 

No, world of tanks pts servers were way more populated than wows eu at prime time gets now iirc, without any compensation or rewards for participating, and feedback didn't matter. If wargaming thinks something is a good idea, it goes live no matter what. That's why wot eventually went downhill, that's why wows is on the same route.

[GW_KR]
Players
88 posts
7,263 battles
44 minutes ago, orzel286 said:

No, world of tanks pts servers were way more populated than wows eu at prime time gets now iirc, without any compensation or rewards for participating, and feedback didn't matter. If wargaming thinks something is a good idea, it goes live no matter what. That's why wot eventually went downhill, that's why wows is on the same route.

Aha. Well then this pretty much answers my question. Didn’t know WOT pts had that many players. Well, thank you for your answers and feedback! Happy hunting, friend!

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,264 battles
3 hours ago, OldPappy said:

Question:

No.

We're players, not WG's QA department. Besides it didn't even require in-depth testing to see that the rework wasn't in a state ready to be released onto the live servers. Even WG admitted that the last PTS balance wasn't what they wanted, but do you think they delayed the rework for another round of testing PTS to figure out something? No, they went ahead and dropped it on the live server with undocumented changes (!!!) compared to the latest PTS version we had and now a week later we have a hotfix that changes more and NONE of the issues the hotfix adresses where anything new that only recently cropped up after dropping the rework on live, they were all wellknown from PTS already.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this