You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
sisito0o

Why planes engines overheat when I slow down ?

10 comments in this topic

Question

[BGNAV]
Players
264 posts
3,343 battles

When speed is reduced below cruising they overheat just like when it's increased

9 answers to this question

Players
416 posts
1,690 battles
On 2/6/2019 at 6:50 PM, sisito0o said:

When speed is reduced below cruising they overheat just like when it's increased

If they are air cooled engines they need air to cool them, the faster the air the better within an upper and lower limit. If you've been going full speed and back off the throttle then the engine suddenly has an excess of heat to dissipate. To keep the engine heat within limits the engine speed should be reduced gradually. That would be real life anyway, I don't know if it's modelled in the game like that.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,659 posts
3,562 battles

Actually given that a lot (almost all in fact) of the aircraft engines in game are air cooled, slowing down would actually hurt their cooling considerably.

No aeronautical expert, but that's the obvious reason to my eyes..

Players
105 posts
1,651 battles
8 hours ago, lafeel said:

Actually given that a lot (almost all in fact) of the aircraft engines in game are air cooled, slowing down would actually hurt their cooling considerably.

I'm no aeronautical expert either, but what you're saying doesn't make sense, because slowing down is basically just decreasing the throttle and using the airbrakes.
It makes sense that there would be a limit to how much speed can be achieved and for how long one could keep the throttle at max with regards to heat issues, hence why it makes sense the failsafe kicks in.
However when the engines are operating at cruise speed, that would be the equivalent of the throttle (Increase or decrease throttle) not being touched in the game, where decreasing the throttle would bring it down to the minimum speed required to maintain altitude, in other words that the speed could not be decreased any further as that would result in altitude loss. Obviously, for gameplay purposes this is where a failsafe kicks in thats stops one from decreasing it further - which basically is reflected in the game by the slowest possible speed, and this speed should be possible to attain at all times. If you want to, you can get nerdy on this one, depending on the engine type, whether it was fuel injection system or carburettor would affect at what angles / during negative-G intensive manouvers the engines could potential cut off, for instance the german warplanes could do these intensive negative-G manouvers while the british could not.

[BODEM]
Players
455 posts
5,346 battles
On 2/28/2019 at 5:28 AM, lafeel said:

Ofcourse not xD Making the engine work less hard cools it down on it's own. A car that idles is way less hot than a car that does 6k revs, no matter the speed. 

If your plane goes 150 knots full speed and you pull back the throttle, the engine cools down because it doesn't have to work as hard while still getting cooled by the wind hitting it at 120 knots its doing now, for instance. 

At the OP, it's 99% probability a balancing issue. Slowing down and turning tighter because of it is an advantage that can be used to outmanouver ships, and taking ship turning speed and positioning of both the ship and airplane into consideration, this all together makes it a balancing issue. 

Players
1,640 posts
5,986 battles

Its part of the hotfix to nerf CVs, if you speed up to much your planes drop out the sky from overheating

• Boring 1