You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
esss20

Seattle tier 9 POS

20 comments in this topic

[KEBAB]
Players
17 posts
4,731 battles

I have just purchased the tier 9 seattle and after a few games it is becoming the worst pos ahead of the baltimore. I just finished a game where i hit a tier 8 amagi 52 times with he ammo and only penned them 2 times. This was from the front , broadside and the back and still nada with a 15 point captain. WTF is going on in this game whereby a tier 9 cannot pen a tier 8 ship??????

• Funny 1

Players
5,441 posts
6,734 battles
37 minutes ago, esss20 said:

I have just purchased the tier 9 seattle and after a few games it is becoming the worst pos ahead of the baltimore. I just finished a game where i hit a tier 8 amagi 52 times with he ammo and only penned them 2 times. This was from the front , broadside and the back and still nada with a 15 point captain. WTF is going on in this game whereby a tier 9 cannot pen a tier 8 ship??????

Got IFHE?

• Cool 1

Players
541 posts
1,924 battles
53 minutes ago, esss20 said:

Do you have the IFHE skill on said 15-pt captain? If not, you should use the current free respecs to get it, or 152mm HE shells won't pen anything more than (I think) 25mm (according to the game UI and the wiki) 24mm of armour. T8+ BBs have lots of 32mm armour.

And do you know which part of the Amagi your shells were hitting? If I've done my sums right, 152mm IFHE should pen Amagi's superstructure, the plating, the deck and the torpedo bulges – in fact, everywhere except the turrets, and the bit where the main belt extends past the torp bulges towards the stern. I say this assuming the B hull has much the same armour scheme as the A hull, which I can view in the tech tree despite not having researched the Amagi. If the B hull changes the armour scheme, someone who has researched it should feel free to correct me :Smile_honoring: If you don't have IFHE, you can only pen the superstructure.

Edited by 10ThousandThings
correction

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,307 battles

HE penetration is 1/6 of your caliber, so for the Seattle's 152mm guns that's 25mm HE pen (rounded).

HE shells can also only penetrate and thus damage armour that is less thick than its HE penetration, meaning you will penetrate 24mm armour or less, but not 25mm or more.

Since the Amagi's hull is armoured in 32mm plating you will shatter on everything except its 19mm superstructure.

IFHE is highly recommended (read: mandatory) because it improves your HE penetration by 30%, which in the case of 152mm guns like on your Seattle gives it an HE pen of 33mm (rounded), which is enough to penetrate the typical 32mm hull armour on tier VIII+ BBs like the Amagi.

You can check your HE shells HE penetration in the detailed ship statistics in port too, though to avoid confusion it bears noting that the number displayed there is the amount of armour you can penetrate, not your HE pen, so it would say 24mm on your Seattle and 32 if you have a captain with IFHE instead of the 25/33mm HE pen respectively. A bit confusing, but ultimately a more intuitive number.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
5,900 posts
7,187 battles

How does one get through Cleveland and not realize that? :cap_hmm:

Or was it acceptable that a T8 ship cant pen same/higher tier BBs?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
5,441 posts
6,734 battles
23 ore fa, 10ThousandThings ha scritto:

Do you have the IFHE skill on said 15-pt captain? If not, you should use the current free respecs to get it, or 152mm HE shells won't pen anything more than (I think) 25mm of armour. T8+ BBs have lots of 32mm armour.

And do you know which part of the Amagi your shells were hitting? If I've done my sums right, 152mm IFHE should pen Amagi's superstructure, the plating, the deck and the torpedo bulges – in fact, everywhere except the turrets, and the bit where the main belt extends past the torp bulges towards the stern. I say this assuming the B hull has much the same armour scheme as the A hull, which I can view in the tech tree despite not having researched the Amagi. If the B hull changes the armour scheme, someone who has researched it should feel free to correct me :Smile_honoring: If you don't have IFHE, you can only pen the superstructure.

B-hull should not change armour scheme. It did in the past change the internal armour scheme, before A-hulls were removed and B-hulls became new A-hulls. still it wouldn't change the external plating much, at best extent torp bulges. Old internal armour scheme can be seen on Ashitaka and Kii and features most prominently an overmatchable citadel deck.

And yes, IFHE at t9 is mandatory. Without it, it isn''t just that a T9 cannot pen a T8 BB, it's that a T10 Worcester couldn't pen a T6 New Mexico with its HE even.

23 ore fa, DFens_666 ha scritto:

I mean, Cleve would struggle even with T6 BBs without IFHE, so, eh...

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
5,900 posts
7,187 battles
Just now, Seiranko said:

I mean, Cleve would struggle even with T6 BBs without IFHE, so, eh...

Maybe he was lowtier all the time an accepted his faith :cap_haloween:

Players
541 posts
1,924 battles

On a related note, I just checked the HE pen values given in-game for some of my CLs (Phoenix, Omaha, Duguay, Émile, La Gal) and that says they pen 24mm whereas I'd always thought it was 25mm (doh)... Should I be putting my La Gal skipper back on Émile until he has at least 14 points? (Or I suppose the other option is head down, grind for Algérie as quick as possible).

Edited by 10ThousandThings
Removed some aspersions about the GUI ;-)

Players
5,441 posts
6,734 battles
23 ore fa, DFens_666 ha scritto:

Maybe he was lowtier all the time an accepted his faith :cap_haloween:

I'll never understand certain people...

23 ore fa, 10ThousandThings ha scritto:

On a related note, I just checked the HE pen values given in-game for some of my CLs (Phoenix, Omaha, Duguay, Émile, La Gal) and that says they pen 24mm whereas I'd always thought it was 25mm... Should I be putting my La Gal skipper back on Émile until he has at least 14 points? (Or I suppose the other option is head down, grind for Algérie as quick as possible).

Or is the game UI giving dud information? :cap_old:

No, it's accurate. 152 mm only pen up to 24 mm. 155 mm pen up to 25 mm. Mogami can pen lower tier BBs without IFHE, as well as same tier cruisers, Cleveland and Chapa absolutely need IFHE though. Imo, more than they need CE even.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,307 battles
4 minutes ago, 10ThousandThings said:

On a related note, I just checked the HE pen values given in-game for some of my CLs (Phoenix, Omaha, Duguay, Émile, La Gal) and that says they pen 24mm whereas I'd always thought it was 25mm (doh)... Should I be putting my La Gal skipper back on Émile until he has at least 14 points? (Or I suppose the other option is head down, grind for Algérie as quick as possible).

No, that number is still accurate.

152mm guns can only damage 24mm or less armour. It's still 25mm HE pen, but it already substracted the -1 for the <25mm HE penetration threshold (as you can only penetrate armour thinner than your HE pen, equal or higher armour shatters).

• Cool 1

Players
541 posts
1,924 battles
1 minute ago, Seiranko said:

No, it's accurate. 152 mm only pen up to 24 mm. 155 mm pen up to 25 mm. Mogami can pen lower tier BBs without IFHE, as well as same tier cruisers, Cleveland and Chapa absolutely need IFHE though. Imo, more than they need CE even.

Hmmm. Maybe I should respec my La Gal captain for IFHE over CE then, and use Émile to train a new 10-pointer to go on Algérie in the fullness of time :cap_hmm:

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,307 battles
6 minutes ago, 10ThousandThings said:

Hmmm. Maybe I should respec my La Gal captain for IFHE over CE then, and use Émile to train a new 10-pointer to go on Algérie in the fullness of time :cap_hmm:

You want to have IFHE on your french cruisers anyway, because once you get to the HIV, with IFHE you got 52mm HE pen, which is enough to penetrate 50mm deck armour (found on german BB decks, part of the Yamato's deck and russian cruiser midships, plus Khaba troll armour). If the russian BBs also stick to getting 40mm midships armour, then IFHE will also mean the HIV will HE pen those too (which it wouldn't be able to without IFHE because native 40mm HE pen isn't enough because it's not >40mm armour).

Even the 203mm french CAs benefit a teensy-weensy bit from IFHE because it will beat the 38mm US BB deck armour found at hightier and it will also be enough to beat 40mm on any coming russian BBs.

• Cool 3

Players
5,441 posts
6,734 battles
11 minutes ago, 10ThousandThings said:

Use coal, buy Vive la france containers. Get French captain from collection. Use that as it comes with 10 points and is well-suited for Henri at the end.

• Cool 2

Players
541 posts
1,924 battles
4 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

You want to have IFHE on your french cruisers anyway, because once you get to the HIV, with IFHE you got 52mm HE pen, which is enough to penetrate 50mm deck armour (found on german BB decks, part of the Yamato's deck and russian cruiser midships, plus Khaba troll armour). If the russian BBs also stick to getting 40mm midships armour, then IFHE will also mean the HIV will HE pen those too (which it wouldn't be able to without IFHE because native 40mm HE pen isn't enough because it's not >40mm armour).

Even the 203mm french CAs benefit a teensy-weensy bit from IFHE because it will beat the 38mm US BB deck armour found at hightier and it will also be enough to beat 40mm on any coming russian BBs.

Thanks, good to know – I'll take IFHE captains all the way through then. I had forgotten that Henri benefited so much from IFHE. Tbf I'll likely stick at T7 until I have 2 or 3 lines of each surface class unlocked to there, and will probably grind for Zao as my first T10 CA, but if it's useful anyway, it's useful anyway. Thanks for the help :Smile_honoring:

4 minutes ago, Seiranko said:

Use coal, buy Vive la france containers. Get French captain from collection. Use that as it comes with 10 points and is well-suited for Henri at the end.

Hmm, good idea. I have already completed the collection and have Jean-Jacques Honoré commanding my Bretagne at the moment. Although I got Charles-Henri with doubloons but haven't had a ship to put him on yet. I'll stick him on Algérie once I unlock it, and take him through until Henri.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
46 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Well yes... How is sprinkling HE (IFHE) on the superstructure of BBs not common knowledge by now :Smile_hiding:

[KEBAB]
Players
17 posts
4,731 battles

Thanks to some of the more responsive comments and the usual lame arses that have got to have a pop. I didnt have IFHE as the captain i used was not from the cleveland as I am keeping that ship, but mr halsey from the campaigns that i got. I hear what you are saying about IFHE, but even so 50 out of 52 shots not penning on a lower tier is frustratingly bad

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
1,047 posts
8,226 battles
2 minutes ago, esss20 said:

Thanks to some of the more responsive comments and the usual lame arses that have got to have a pop. I didnt have IFHE

People wouldn't have had a pop if you'd come in asking for advice, rather than having an aggressive whine. 

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
886 posts
7,875 battles

i truly don't get how people can arrive at tier 8+ without knowing the basics of the game ( or rather, without even noticing that they don't deal damage) . WHen the cleveland was uptiered i had a 12 poinnt captain in ti with CE, i had to reskill it after 2 games because i noticed that i wasn't doing damage at all. like, guys for you is normal to fire and fire and don't do damage? are you that bad normally?

[HEATH]
Players
161 posts
15,036 battles

On US light cruiser line IFHE > CE, they have base concealment (they had pre 8.0.0) decent enough and u mostly stay hidden behind a rock, not in open water. So even if u have a 10 points commander, u still have to get IFHE if u want to do any dmg. Seattle with IFHE, if u know how to position, is very strong ship. I enjoyed the grind but i had a 19 pointer cpt on it.

• Cool 1

Players
4,301 posts
11,820 battles

Pre 8.0 POV I admit. Inertia fuse and double rudder is my advice.