Sign in to follow this  
asalonen

Hosho basic tips after rework

7 comments in this topic

Players
120 posts
7,310 battles

I've just played my first 12 randoms ever in a CV, namely in the Hosho. I played about a dozen co-ops first and watched a few videos to get going. I went to randoms pretty quickly because dumping torps to the sides of bots was too easy, boring, and not really educational.

I feel I'm doing OK, average damage is creeping towards 40k and I'm mostly on the top half of the score sheet. However, there are some things that I really don't have figured out.

In particular, when and against which targets is it smart to use the dive bombers? I'm asking because I find them difficult to aim with, and the torps on the other hand are easy. I don't lose a lot of planes, and I usually have a full squadron of torpedo bombers ready.

If I don't have torpedo bombers ready, or if there's a low-health DD to finish off, I take off with the attack planes. Also, I always do the initial scouting run with the attack planes, and usually then pretty quickly dump the rockets at reasonable targets and just recall them. 

[WTFNO]
Players
84 posts

Interesting, I came here to ask about any general tips as at tier 4 I tend to lose a lot of planes. But to your observations, I actually find Dive Bombers easier to aim with and I'm doing more damage than with the puny torpedoes :). I guess more practice is what I need.

Players
120 posts
7,310 battles

My experience is essentially that with a squadron of torpedo bombers I can quite often get all three home if I'm attacking a battleship. That's something like 10k to 12k damage. Against tier 5's it becomes very difficult due to the stronger AA. If you're lucky, you also get flooding on top of that.

The maximum possible damage with the dive bomber squadron is six citadels, which amounts up to 18k (non-repairable) damage. However, at least for me that's pretty theoretical? If I'm lucky I get one or two.

Then if we talk about cruisers they're more difficult to hit with torps. But then again with the AP bombs you're more likely to over penetrate or just miss the citadel. 

Thus my question: Are the dive bombers really better for any particular target?

[MIRAI]
Players
144 posts
7,804 battles
6 hours ago, asalonen said:

My experience is essentially that with a squadron of torpedo bombers I can quite often get all three home if I'm attacking a battleship. That's something like 10k to 12k damage. Against tier 5's it becomes very difficult due to the stronger AA. If you're lucky, you also get flooding on top of that.

The maximum possible damage with the dive bomber squadron is six citadels, which amounts up to 18k (non-repairable) damage. However, at least for me that's pretty theoretical? If I'm lucky I get one or two.

Then if we talk about cruisers they're more difficult to hit with torps. But then again with the AP bombs you're more likely to over penetrate or just miss the citadel. 

Thus my question: Are the dive bombers really better for any particular target? 

I almost never use dive bombers at T4. I either use rockets against DDs and CLs (they can still do OK dmg), or torp bombers against BBs and CLs. Just pick a target before you launch your squadron and go with the most efficient damage dealer.

[DREAD]
Players
5,721 posts
5,205 battles
12 minutes ago, Fubucky said:

I almost never use dive bombers at T4. I either use rockets against DDs and CLs (they can still do OK dmg), or torp bombers against BBs and CLs. Just pick a target before you launch your squadron and go with the most efficient damage dealer.

Hosho’s AP bombs do little damage but against BBs they aren’t terrible. If you do 1-2 citadel hits and do do three approaches you can also get some damage around 9-18k (against BBs).

• Cool 1

Players
120 posts
7,310 battles
15 hours ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Hosho’s AP bombs do little damage but against BBs they aren’t terrible. If you do 1-2 citadel hits and do do three approaches you can also get some damage around 9-18k (against BBs).

I did some testing in training room against a buddy sailing around in a New York. Big, slow target, also with the AA off, and it was quite easy to get 4+ citadels with one squadron (three approaches). Definitely a good choice if you can reasonably expect that kind of accuracy.

In an actual gaming situation it's just much more difficult... Must keep practicing. After all, I'm playing the Hosho to move up when I feel ready. :Smile_unsure:

Also, sometimes you are in a situation where you just have to delete the BB with close to 20k HP left, or otherwise the game is lost. With the dive bombers, at least you still have a chance?

[DREAD]
Players
5,721 posts
5,205 battles
15 minutes ago, asalonen said:

I did some testing in training room against a buddy sailing around in a New York. Big, slow target, also with the AA off, and it was quite easy to get 4+ citadels with one squadron (three approaches). Definitely a good choice if you can reasonably expect that kind of accuracy.

In an actual gaming situation it's just much more difficult... Must keep practicing. After all, I'm playing the Hosho to move up when I feel ready. :Smile_unsure:

Also, sometimes you are in a situation where you just have to delete the BB with close to 20k HP left, or otherwise the game is lost. With the dive bombers, at least you still have a chance?

Well if you line up your attack in the path of the BB and he doesn’t manoeuvre too bad you have a good chance of hitting 2x citadels which is 6k damage.

With AA, dodging and target movement it happens to me often though that I only land one out of the two. Meaning 3k. So no, I don’t think you get 20k with one flight but it can be between 9 and 18 somewhere if your aim is fine and the target not too Flak-nasty.

However of you look at Server averages it can also be a bit lower as if you don’t score a citadel it will be negligible damage 

Sign in to follow this