Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aotearas

Port UI becoming unresponsive

25 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,278 battles

So, before I put this into a bug report I'd rather ask around if it's something that other people are experiencing today too, might be server related after all:

Today my port UI is becoming unresponsive. I can still change camera angles, move my curser around, scroll through my ship carousel but the game won't respond to clicking on anything. Can't switch UI tabs, can't select another ship, captain, game won't respond to trying to open the ESC menu, nothing.

Only way to temporarily fix the issue is to close the game via Taskmanager.

Problem is, port just started doing the same thing again and I kind of don't feel confident trying to actually play the game right now if I can expect the UI to simply not respond to input, would be a real bummer if it happened during a match.

So, has anyone else been getting this kind of issue today?

Might this be a server problem, or could this be a general stability issue since the last patch (today's the first time I've had this issue crop up).

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
1,047 posts
8,202 battles
3 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

So, before I put this into a bug report I'd rather ask around if it's something that other people are experiencing today too, might be server related after all:

Today my port UI is becoming unresponsive. I can still change camera angles, move my curser around, scroll through my ship carousel but the game won't respond to clicking on anything. Can't switch UI tabs, can't select another ship, captain, game won't respond to trying to open the ESC menu, nothing.

Only way to temporarily fix the issue is to close the game via Taskmanager.

Problem is, port just started doing the same thing again and I kind of don't feel confident trying to actually play the game right now if I can expect the UI to simply not respond to input, would be a real bummer if it happened during a match.

So, has anyone else been getting this kind of issue today?

Might this be a server problem, or could this be a general stability issue since the last patch (today's the first time I've had this issue crop up).

I've had all of these problems since 0.8.0. I mean, we're used to the port UI being gash (actually one of the worst gaming UIs I've ever had the misfortune of using), but it's actually got WORSE.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,278 battles

Just happened again, roughly a minute after closing and relogging back into the game.

1 minute ago, Mr_Tayto said:

I've had all of these problems since 0.8.0. I mean, we're used to the port UI being gash (actually one of the worst gaming UIs I've ever had the misfortune of using), but it's actually got WORSE.

Weird, because if it's a patch stability issue I would've expected to have this issue come up sooner than just today, especially if it appears to occur so regularily right now.

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,186 posts
5,299 battles

I never had problem with port UI but since 0.8.0, I see my port freeze quite regularly. I don't even use the zipango port (I use Hawaii).

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,278 battles

And again.

Currently demounting upgrades on ships I already grinded past, but can't do more than ~3 ships before the UI decides it doesn't want to respond anymore.

Players
3,110 posts
245 battles

Yeah ive noticed my port to sutter or sometimes freeze especially when moving the camera or chaning modules there will be some wait time.

the problem has gotten worse with 0.8.0.

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
145 posts
3,958 battles

The port UI is garbage. It's been buggy, laggy garbage since beta. I seem to remember it was lifted straight out of Warplanes, and it was garbage there too. 

Since 0.8.0 I've had;

Freezing

Occasional d/c after freezing

Container visuals going weird

Flag section especially laggy

Auto-renew on flags and camo sometimes deselecting after you've selected it

Cursor staying stuck as a four point arrow after moving a chat window about

The WG icon not disappearing from top bar after I've read new icon or checked collection item

On top of that, it's still a confused mess - missions scattered about all over the place, no demount all option for flags, inventory where it is, no barracks section meaning you have to manage captains by assigning them to a ship.

But hey, CV rework. 

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
2,152 posts
13,835 battles

Same here. I even tried different ports but they all have stability issues.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,538 posts
10,425 battles

Hi all,

The port itself should not matter at all...

IMHO what matters is every micro transaction you do (i.e. change of one flag for example) has to go through WG WoWs server to be registered and there lies the problem!

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,445 posts
6,778 battles

My understanding is they use Flash for the port so I wouldn't expect there to be a crossover between unresponsive controls in port and in game.  IF you can get a match to launch before things become unresponsive then you should be fine during that match.... can't promise it won't screw up after though!

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,445 posts
6,778 battles

Flambass talking about it just today

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,642 posts
6,560 battles

What do you mean with "becoming" unresponsive? For me the port UI has been unresponsive, laggy and just generally crap for something like 2 patches now. Especially mounting and dismounting flags and opening containers seems to cause the UI to panic.

[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,278 battles
9 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

What do you mean with "becoming" unresponsive? For me the port UI has been unresponsive, laggy and just generally crap for something like 2 patches now. Especially mounting and dismounting flags and opening containers seems to cause the UI to panic.

I do believe my explanation was sufficiently detailed to understand what I meant.

I'm not talking about the usual UI stutters, lag, etc.. I'm talking about the UI refusing to acknowledge key inputs, whilst at the same time still accepting curser movement and scrollwheel input, ergo not the regular freeze-up.

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,642 posts
6,560 battles
7 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

I do believe my explanation was sufficiently detailed to understand what I meant.

I'm not talking about the usual UI stutters, lag, etc.. I'm talking about the UI refusing to acknowledge key inputs, whilst at the same time still accepting curser movement and scrollwheel input, ergo not the regular freeze-up.

I have really made it a habit of failing to read properly lately:Smile_facepalm:

With this is mind, no I don't think I have experienced this issue to the extent of having to close the game via task manager. I have had this problem a few times that I can't click on anything or open certain tabs, but I think it is linked to the fact that I'm running the game in borderless windowed mode and sometimes the game can be iffy about that when I tab in and out of it.

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
555 posts
8,741 battles

No worries comrades! These bugs are expected! After all, we're playing on a test server! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[LMAGS]
Players
35 posts
5,127 battles

Yes, the port UI has been unresponsive for me, too, since 0.8.0.

Just after I connect, after a few seconds the port UI just freezes and there's nothing I can do other than move the mouse around. I have to force quit (I use a Mac) and try again. Sometimes it'll freeze four or five times in a row. 

In the seconds before it freezes, I can click on things but, say, clicking "battle" does not end well - I then fail to connect to the battle and get an unsporting penalty and sunk. Clicking on, say, the Arsenal just means the UI freezes in the arsenal instead.

I'll check I'm using the latest version of Flash to see if that helps. 

[TTT]
Players
4,450 posts
7,937 battles

whelp... Port UI is set for some "Optimizations" in 0.8.1 according to the Bulletin... guess we'll see what that brings (inb4 just makes things worse... which, considering what WG have been doing with their interface for years, wouldnt surprise me one bit)

Weekend Tester
813 posts
5,655 battles

Yeah, I can also agree that UI is been terrible before a patch and it is much worst in 0.8.0 and terrible UI kills FPS in port.

[TRID]
Players
104 posts
3,955 battles
3 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

The port itself should not matter at all...

IMHO what matters is every micro transaction you do (i.e. change of one flag for example) has to go through WG WoWs server to be registered and there lies the problem!

Leo "Apollo11"

This...all my UI hangs have occurred when I had been demounting/mounting modules on multiple ships

[GJE]
Players
9 posts
4,250 battles

Since the update it's not so much the port that is at times slow, its the game that sometimes takes ages to load the map or sometimes just stops working mid-game. Todays first match no problems, second match game stopped responding entirely after 1 min.

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
145 posts
3,958 battles

In the interests of science, clicked on premium shop in port. 

Loads the out of focus doubloons screen, WG logo appears with the circling bar, and that's it. Never loads, GPU load goes to 100%, and there it stays until I ESC back to port. 

Open beta or not, we're 3 years into release now... 

Also, something else I've been having  - on first entering tech tree or campaigns, the items initially appear with padlocks and script 

[I-J-N]
Players
1,332 posts

Had the same problem yesterday when I was demounting upgrades from ships and resetting captain skills. It only seemed to surface in connection with that, not with regular gameplay.

[WGP2L]
Players
445 posts
16,506 battles

The UI has always been slow for me but 0.8.0 its so slow its borderline unusable, if anything Im wasting probably 30 min for every day I spend in the game now just waiting for the UI.

Funny thing tough, the UI was faster in Wine under Linux on the same machine then it is under Windows 10, dont know why but thats was something I noticed back in 2015-2016.

It sees in the 0.8.0 know bug report that "many" contacts in the contact list causes the chat server to lag, well thats nothing new, its always gotten slower the more people you add and the more you play the more people you get involved with.

Are we expected to remove people and just keep the 10 most wanted on our list?

I have about 144 people on my list and  from my experience every extra contact is about 500ms extra load time of the contact list or just doing anything in it.

Today I spent about 18 minutes trying to search for a friend in it, well the search function was so slow and lagy it was impossible, took me 18 good dam minutes (there's a clock in the bottom right corner in port) to finally get to him in my list, and be able to bring up a chat windows to congratulate him on is double strike.

Then I spent 2 minutes opening a container because that now also lags to the point where they dont even animate for more then a few seconds then freezes for 20-30 sec.

Mounting flags can take for ever, just going to the signal flag tab can give you a loading time anywhere from 20 sec to two minutes.

Its so slow the clients reports "no signals" or "no flags" until they eventually pops up.

Ships are also reported as "null" when readying up in a division, only after a short time is the real name loaded by the client.

The port randomly fezzes for 20-30 sec for no apparent reason, can be when you type a chat message to a friend, it wont record all keys pressed then either, it can also be whey your trying to select a chip in the carousel.

Basically doing ANYTHING in the port causes at minimum 20-30 sec lag spikes where the game is 100% unresponsive and this happens every other minute  so doing a chip change and flag loadout can take a fair amount of time.

I have never been told, "are you done yet" so many times before, people are getting impatient including me.

In 2019 a basic 2D UI should be snappy and responsive, thousands of ms for a mouse click to take effect is not acceptable! It should be near instant because thats the standard people expect.

Its obvious that as long as the game brings in the cash$$$ its not gonna get the overhaul it needs and nether are the users getting the service they pay for.

It did not help that WG decided to scrap the old division system and replace it with the broken Chat system, something the USERS didn't want.

But WG dont care about customer satisfaction it seems.

No UI "optimization" in 0.8.1 is going to make the UI good "enough" to call this a quality experience, its beyond saving and needs replacing asap!

Redo it and launch the new UI when its ready.

I cannot understand WHY a big company like this programs a UI in FLASH and WHY they don't hire skilled programmers that at least knows something else then basic and flash, after all they are charging people for "premium" services and what we get is less then indie quality game experience?

Where is all the money going because its not spent on any skilled developers thats for sure.

The UI needs a complete replacement not a overhaul and the client needs to cache data locally while the client receives up to date information in the background so the user can go on with there business without the client freezing up waiting for the server.

I mean every other software developer seems to know how to develop modern software so why cant WG?

If you told 3Dfx and Microsoft back in like 1995 that a game in 2019 would have a lower FPS when rendering the 2D UI then it has rendering the 3D game play then they would be laughing and say, "thats impossible, with all that performance 24 years from now how can a UI be slower then a hardware accelerated 3D game engine since the later is much more compute intensive?", yea makes no sense right but thats a fact with WoWS.

My PC is not a gaming PC but it should still runs WoWS just fine and it runs a lot of AAA titles just fine at both 1080p and 1440p at 60fps.

I run it on a i7 3930K @ 4Ghz, 6c/12 with 32Gb ram, GTX780 or RX460, then a NVME drive and Two Intel nics, the one used for gaming is an Intel 1Gbit Server nic.

I also tested an i7 3770 @ 3.7Ghz 4c/8t, 16Gb ram, RX480 and 2x500Gb Sata SSD's and the port is even slower there and thats the fastest graphic card.

That machine has a solid 72fps since its limited by the game engine, but all cards can do 60fps or more in 1440p at medium or high settings.

Btw the internet connection is a 100/100 Mbit fibre, works flawlessly.

The more WG keeps adding on to an already crumbling code base the harder its going to be to ever fix the technical issues the game suffers from.

For those interested there are articles and youtube videos about "tech debt" that talks about just how not fixing bugs and technical problem makes it harder later on to keep developing something and also how it effect users, games I can think of that has been accused of suffering from high tech debt is KSP and Fallout 76.

I rely hope WG is working on a UI replacement because the game needs one because at some point its going to get so bad players wont accept it.

Sign in to follow this