Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hawg

Select battle mode -- CV or no CV

Would you opt in or out of CV matchmaking?  

110 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you be in favor of being able to select whether or not your matchmaking includes CV's, with a two hour cool-down between being able to change your matchmaking?

    • No, I think matchmaking should stay as it is.
      49
    • Yes, but without the Cool Down (I want to be able to play my CV then immediately change to a DD without risk of CV's being in my que.)
      4
    • Yes, I don't want to be forced to play against CV's.
      57

62 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
481 posts
9,033 battles

[sarcasm]I figured we don't have enough threads about CV's at the moment.   So I thought I would start one.   We haven't had any polls in a while either.... so I'll make a poll.[/sarcasm]

 

 

Why not just let people choose if they want to play CV's or not.  If you choose "yes", then no matter what ship-type  you play in you will be put in a matchmaker that includes CV's  and you can select an play CV's.   If you choose "no" then you are placed in a MM with no CV's and you cannot play CV's.   This would need to include some sort of reasonable cool-down time before you can change your selection (an couple of hours?) to keep people from only queing in CV's but changing to non-CV when they want to play other ship types.      

 

The point of this is that CV games, like them or hate them, drastically change the match for everyone, not just the CV player.   Why force everyone to play CV battles if they don't enjoy them? 

 

If this results in ques that are too long, then WG could merge the ques across servers (this is possible because they have done it during server maintenance a few times).   I suspect this selection would only result in longer ques for people who choose to play with CV's.

  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
481 posts
9,033 battles

sorry had comments accidentally closed.. those who voted "no" is it because you play cv's regularly or just like battles with CV's?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KAKE]
Players
2,649 posts
6,346 battles

At the very least, I think it would be interesting to have it as, say, a special mode for a two week "event" in a couple of month's time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6,234 posts
10,691 battles

Can I have a battle mode then too that allows me to have no BBs in queue when driving a cruiser?

 

And no radar cruisers in queue when driving a DD? 

 

And no torpedoboats when I'm in a BB?

 

...

 

 

The possibilities are endless...

  • Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
832 posts
9,609 battles
3 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Can I have a battle mode then too that allows me to have no BBs in queue when driving a cruiser?

 

And no radar cruisers in queue when driving a DD? 

 

And no torpedoboats when I'm in a BB?

 

...

 

 

The possibilities are endless...

You know that;s not the idea. Ships vs ships makes sense. 

 

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[FIFO]
[FIFO]
Beta Tester
2,451 posts
7,258 battles

What a revolutionary idea...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6,234 posts
10,691 battles
1 minute ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

You know that;s not the idea. Ships vs ships makes sense. 

 

CV is a ship... a ship with special attacking capabilities, sure ... but a ship. Sink the ship, special attacks end.

 

And why just stop there. If one can ask for the exclusion of ONE class - and thus give some ships an easier time - why not give other ships an easier time too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TF16]
Beta Tester
46 posts
11,414 battles

I have better idea- set server with old carriers and other with 0.8 - lets see where people would be playing. Just dreaming. WG already choose its path and they,ve killed the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
832 posts
9,609 battles
1 minute ago, Allied_Winter said:

CV is a ship... a ship with special attacking capabilities, sure ... but a ship. Sink the ship, special attacks end.

 

And why just stop there. If one can ask for the exclusion of ONE class - and thus give some ships an easier time - why not give other ships an easier time too?

CVs are very different kind of ship. You can't sink them that easily.

It's the same discussion about the CV 'dueling' DDs, it's not a duel because is not on the same ground, terms and guns.

I do not really get why they  have to be in the game at all, really. The experience is so different in a CV battle that it seems to be another game.

On a DD you can duel against cruisers or BBs, even on different tiers. If you are good, clever, brave, learn from experience, it shows.

Against CVs nothing counts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6,234 posts
10,691 battles
3 minutes ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

You can't sink them that easily.

CVs arent the only ships that can't be sunk easily (and if the CV player misplay's he'll sink as quickly as some other ships too).

 

4 minutes ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

it's not a duel because is not on the same ground, terms and guns.

Because it was never intended to be 'same ground'. A CV has one set of means to influence a game, a DD another. Sometimes they collide. Sometimes they don't. The 'glory' of a RANDOM MM.

 

5 minutes ago, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

I do not really get why they  have to be in the game at all, really

Because WG said so ... that's practically the bottom line. And they try a lot of stuff to make it work.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GRNPA]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
13 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

CV is a ship... a ship with special attacking capabilities, sure ... but a ship. Sink the ship, special attacks end.

 

And why just stop there. If one can ask for the exclusion of ONE class - and thus give some ships an easier time - why not give other ships an easier time too?

 

Yeah, imagine CVs wouldnt be sitting 40km away safely parked behind an island, with the only chance of dying being that his whole team got killed first before the enemy managed to get into position if there is enough time left to get into position.

 

Imagine CVs could get focus killed early on like you can do with other enemies, imagine CV players could be removed from the match early on if he was too reckless like it happens to everyone else. (btw, the F key is truly a genius invention WG, CV fucked up but has an instant "I win and cant lose anymore planes" button)

 

Imagine CVs wouldnt be the top damage dealer, the most flexible class and dominating the vision game.

 

Imagine CVs wouldnt be cancerous.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6,234 posts
10,691 battles
2 minutes ago, avenger121 said:

(btw, the F key is truly a genius invention WG, CV fucked up but has an instant "I win and cant lose anymore planes" button)

Imagine there wouldn't be an ongoing balancing process... oh wait: There is.

 

 

WG want CVs as part of the game. Some players don't while others do and again others don't care.

 

But no matter what: The population is far to small to sport a seperated queue on any tier, class or skill level. We're all in the same random MM queue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,144 posts
245 battles

Yeah some coders here on the forums have said that doing this sort of thing is incredibly hard and tedious and maybe impossible (depending on the language, version and software being used).

 

Also as some have pointed out if one group gets to have their own say then others will want the same to the point where only little tug boats going at 500knots would be allowed.

 

I guess having the option avalible would be nice but wargaming are obviously going to focus on other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GRNPA]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
1 minute ago, Allied_Winter said:

Imagine there wouldn't be an ongoing balancing process... oh wait: There is.

 

 

WG want CVs as part of the game. Some players don't while others do and again others don't care.

 

But no matter what: The population is far to small to sport a seperated queue on any tier, class or skill level. We're all in the same random MM queue.

 

Imagine WG didnt fail to balance CVs for the whole closed alpha, closed beta and the whole 3.5 years since release as well as f*cking up the CV rework, while abusing the live server as beta test environment.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
481 posts
9,033 battles
23 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Can I have a battle mode then too that allows me to have no BBs in queue when driving a cruiser?

 

And no radar cruisers in queue when driving a DD? 

 

And no torpedoboats when I'm in a BB?

 

...

 

 

The possibilities are endless...

nO.   Compare apples to apples mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6,234 posts
10,691 battles
1 minute ago, Hawg said:

Compare apples to apples mate.

A ship class is a ship class is a ship class.

 

Why allow for one ship class to be excluded while others are 'forced' to stay in the queue? Riddle me this?

 

Saying that ship class X is allowed to be opted out while ship class Y isn't .... yeah no, not going to work.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GRNPA]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
4 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

A ship class is a ship class is a ship class.

 

Why allow for one ship class to be excluded while others are 'forced' to stay in the queue? Riddle me this?

 

Saying that ship class X is allowed to be opted out while ship class Y isn't .... yeah no, not going to work.

 

Because all normal ship classes are playing a slow paced 3d shooter game, CVs arent.

CVs are foreign matter, cancer cells to a healthy body.

 

 

Everyone else shoots and get's shot at, CVs sit behind the island 40km away with their guided weapons and f*ck you up with no danger of any kind of retaliation.

  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
832 posts
9,609 battles

It may be technically impossible, fair enough then. But nothing can take away my feeling when I am thrown into a battle with 4 CVs (before and rework). I do not want to be there! It's an impossible mix and I do not have any control over it.

I feel I can fight my way in an all ships battle, even down tiered, even alone, even with radar, even in a bad team. I feel like I can control the situation to some level. But with CVs no, I just can't enjoy the game.

In a year time, after WG has found the balance (they will not), I still have the same feeling.

CVs do not belong into the game, all you can do is just bite the bullet.

You cannot convince me of the contrary, I have to experience it myself to believe and so far that has not been possible. 

 

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
6,234 posts
10,691 battles
1 minute ago, avenger121 said:

CVs are foreign matter, cancer cells to a healthy body

Yeah ... about that. I do believe WG is able to balance things out. You don't ... that's ok. We agree to disagree here.

 

But excluding one class simply because you don't like it won't solve any problems. Especially since - and I repeat myself - WG is keen on keeping CVs in game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GRNPA]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
Just now, Winged_Cat_Dormant said:

It may be technically impossible, fair enough then. .......

 

It isnt at all, when WoT tried to introduce other match types besides the standard match people were pissed and WG implemented 2 boxes to check if you wanted to play the other match types.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GRNPA]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
2 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Yeah ... about that. I do believe WG is able to balance things out. You don't ... that's ok. We agree to disagree here.

 

But excluding one class simply because you don't like it won't solve any problems. Especially since - and I repeat myself - WG is keen on keeping CVs in game. 

 

Why are you leaving out my arguments and then proceed to talk about a different matter. So you agree that CVs are not the same as the other classes and completly foreign to the base game.

 

 

 

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KAKE]
Players
2,649 posts
6,346 battles
11 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Yeah some coders here on the forums have said that doing this sort of thing is incredibly hard and tedious and maybe impossible (depending on the language, version and software being used).

AFAIK, the discussion you're referring to was about having both styles of CV play in the game at the same time in different modes. And from a software development point of view, that is indeed iffy*

 

But having a CV-less battle mode wouldn't be any different from any of the other special modes like Twilight battles.

 

*"iffy" in the "Oh my god, why are you torturing the poor coders like that, isn't that in violation of the declaration of human rights?" meaning of the word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LADA]
Players
589 posts
8,938 battles
1 minute ago, Allied_Winter said:

A ship class is a ship class is a ship class.

 

Why allow for one ship class to be excluded while others are 'forced' to stay in the queue? Riddle me this?

 

Saying that ship class X is allowed to be opted out while ship class Y isn't .... yeah no, not going to work.

Well if one ship class is so borked that it makes people stop wanting to play until its fixed - I'd say there was an argument for excluding them. (Until they were actually working as intended).

 

I've been playing ranked and very little besides precisely BECAUSE it excludes the class that is at the centre of the crapshoot that is 8.0. If that option were not there I wouldn't bother logging in and playing at the moment. Relatives who play this game are of a similar mindset.

 

My hope is WG get things a bit more sorted by the end of Ranked or I'm going to have to find another game to waste time on!

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[HOO]
[HOO]
Players
481 posts
9,033 battles
16 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

But no matter what: The population is far to small to sport a seperated queue on any tier, class or skill level. We're all in the same random MM queue.

Well it is if you want to play CV's... the rest of the ships would be fine.   That's why they could merge servers for people who select CV, which is doable because they have done it before.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
7,144 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

AFAIK, the discussion you're referring to was about having both styles of CV play in the game at the same time in different modes. And from a software development point of view, that is indeed iffy*

 

But having a CV-less battle mode wouldn't be any different from any of the other special modes like Twilight battles.

 

*"iffy" in the "Oh my god, why are you torturing the poor coders like that, isn't that in violation of the declaration of human rights?" meaning of the word.

Ahh yeah that was the one. I thought this would be the same sort of discussion.

 

whoops. I guess if they can do it they should give the option, although im wondering what the ques will be like afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×