Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MistaBoo

Plane Damage. Can someone explain the math?

4 comments in this topic

[BOATY]
Players
105 posts

Played a few games tonight with various ships and the one thing i cant seem to figure out is Plane damage.

With the Salem i caused 49k damage to planes but only shot down 5 and with a Mogami I caused 13k but shot down 4.

I have taken the Salem out previously and shot down 24. 

Surely if i cause 49k damage to planes i must shoot down more than 5?

[SHAFT]
Players
10,318 posts
9,108 battles

No. You can deal 99% damage to one plane and not shoot it down. Technically you could deal 5 damage to planes and kill 5 planes with it.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,758 posts
12,054 battles
16 minutes ago, MistaBoo said:

Played a few games tonight with various ships and the one thing i cant seem to figure out is Plane damage.

With the Salem i caused 49k damage to planes but only shot down 5 and with a Mogami I caused 13k but shot down 4.

There are four factors that can give you lots of damage and little kills:

1. AA damage is spread out (it doesn't target one plane at a time) so you can deal much more than one plane's worth of damage to a squadron and not get a kill

2. Torpedo bombers have a pretty powerful heal (it basically prints new planes in air) - it has a long cooldown and limited charges butt it's potent when available

3. Planes that manage to get away and return to the carrier are fully repaired the next time they take off

4. If somebody else shots the plane down, you get the damage you dealt but not the kill, obviously

If you get huge damage but few kills, it most likely means that the enemy was pretty adept at managing his planes and managed to have most of them return safely. Either that or he was constantly attacking you (first in line) and flying straight into concentrated AA of your allies behind you so that most kills ended up credited to them. But I'm more inclined to believe the option #1 - good plane health management.

If, on the other hand, you end up with (relatively) little damage but many kills, this usually signifies a potato CV player that flies straight into flak bursts. They deal a ton of damage and lead to their quick destruction, so they don't get to heal or return to the carrier - meaning that much less damage gets "lost" (as in, doesn't contribute to making planes into fireworks). Also, the planes could have less hp (by being even as low as t6 when you're playing a Mogami while Salem can only meet t8 or 10) but this factor is unlikely to contribute as much as the way the enemy CV handles his toys.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
1 hour ago, MistaBoo said:

While firing at enemy ships:

• Can you do 300k without getting a single kill?
  • Can you get 5 kills with below 10k dmg done?

The answer to both is yes. Unlikely, but yes.

Why would it be any different when firing at aircraft?

Sign in to follow this