Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Puffin_

[0.8.0] First CV rework tweaks and changes Confirmed

41 comments in this topic

[HAMAR]
Players
403 posts

Source

"Dear players,

It's been less than a week since update 0.8.0 release - a major, and probably the biggest change in the game yet, CV rework. We want to share the first list of fixes, changes and tweaks that are to be implemented to improve new CV and counter-CV gameplay. But first of all we sincerely thank you for your feedback and game activity, as well as apologize for any stress and inconvenience that you could experience due to massive game change.

Please note that all information in this post is preliminary.

1. Critical changes and fixes that we're working on right now (to be implemented within 0.8.0 in "hotfix" update ASAP)
  • Reduce the excessive efficiency of IJN tier X CV Hakuryu;
  • Reduce the excessive efficiency of IJN Torpedo Bombers (reduce flooding chance, introduce spread debuff when maneuvering);
  • Resolve the "F-spam" issue, when a CV can just recall its squadron at any time without considerable penalties (increase the vulnerability time for the squadron after recall so that players can shoot down some planes before it completely disengages);
  • Do overall AA balancing: shift a part of damage from flak bursts to constant DPS. Flak bursts proved to be an interesting aspect of AA. However, on the one hand, they deal disproportional amount of damage, and on the other hand, avoiding them often results in completely insufficient damage to the planes;
  • Do overall Attack Planes vs. Destroyers balancing. While this is an important thing to do, we would like to indicate that most players seem to underestimate the power of manual AA activation ([P] by default). Due to great DD concealment, if often makes sense to turn AA off until spotted. A DD spotted at minimal range is a lot harder to hit with the first attack run even with rockets. Although, this trick does not remove the need for further balancing;
  • Do additional Premium CV and UK CV (unreleased) balancing;
  • Remove the inconsistency between Des Moines and Salem in close/mid-range AA;

2. Changes and improvements that we work on now in the timeframe of next updates (0.8.1 and beyond).

Improve plane reserves UI (information should me better presented);

• Improve AA sector UI (better usability);
  • Do additional balancing for individual ships, armament, skills and upgrades, as the statistical data is being accumulated;
  • Clear the minimap for non-CV ships (remove the unnecessary info about returning planes, etc);
  • Finish the development for CV bots (Cooperative Battles);

3. Open questions and concerns to be researched in more detail and addressed if needed (no specific update planned yet, but it may change).
  • The amount and quality of CV spotting in the new meta;
  • MM limits (our ideal limit is 1 CV per team, very few cases of 2 CV (and always 1 at tier X, but right now the limit is 3 across the board): we would like to change the limits where/when possible.

As indicated before, these are the first plans after several days of release. We will keep monitoring your feedback and update you about any further changes.

Thank you, good luck, and fair seas! "
  • Cool 6
  • Bad 4

Players
4,389 posts
12,087 battles

Come back with a "CV removed from wows" to make it really interesting, OP. 

• Cool 9
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[_FK_]
Beta Tester
612 posts
14,445 battles

Sorry but i feel ive already started packing my bags to be done with the game, so far this has completely drained my interest in playing, games right now are so boring quite literally watching paint dry is more interesting, every single game is either a lemming train or a lemming camp, theres no cap contest, no map control, no varied games its the same boring trash every game because potatos just want to avoid all risk of damage from the new 'CV meta', its the same dilema with bb's border camping so they dont have to take any damage.

Also they talk about manually turning AA guns off, what difference does it make your be spotted anyway and focused hard anyway, also sector changing while my AA guns are off shouldnt 'turn them on again'.

Sorry WG but i literally have lost all my interest in your game as it stands right now, and ive invested alot of time and money for your game (since CBT), but this patch has literally killed any interest i had in its current state. I get things need to change and i understand things will but, i just no longer care right now, games a mess.

• Cool 12
  • Bad 1

[PUPSI]
Players
801 posts
2,665 battles
16 minutes ago, GudmundurG said:

Resolve the "F-spam" issue, when a CV can just recall its squadron at any time without considerable penalties (increase the vulnerability time for the squadron after recall so that players can shoot down some planes before it completely disengages);

It's good that this has their attention. However, it strikes me that any penalty has to significantly affect the availability of aircraft for the next wave. Does this sound like a sufficient penalty? I'm not sure but don't feel I know enough to say with certainty.

Looks sensible really, although I would like to know more about what form the balancing attack planes vs DDs will take.

Also, if skills and upgrades are going to be balanced further, the free demounting upgrades and respeccing captains needs to last longer, too.

• Cool 1

Players
65 posts
5,307 battles

Let me point out as a Hakuryu cv player myself... It ios a PAIN to try and spot dds with their AA off apart from the haru and kab who are cruisers but a dd *shrugs*

It's only been a week, letwargaming have their time to fix and sovle the balence before you go stoming off because of the "change" they have made, let them do their job of a game dev

• Cool 5

[SP4WN]
Players
67 posts
10,430 battles

0 information about plane speed which is just pathetic. Last game me and a tier 6 BB spawned on the other side of the map. Guess what? In the first min of the game one CV shaved 50% of my health with torps and i only got to 24 knots out of 32. I managed to run away because of my CL speed but the tier 6 Normandie died in several min from attacks as he could not run and his AA is almost non existent. Seems the DEVS have no problem the team is attacked in the first min in their own freaking spawn!!!!!!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Beta Tester
3,195 posts
3,662 battles
10 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

Do overall Attack Planes vs. Destroyers balancing. While this is an important thing to do, we would like to indicate that most players seem to underestimate the power of manual AA activation ([P] by default). Due to great DD concealment, if often makes sense to turn AA off until spotted. A DD spotted at minimal range is a lot harder to hit with the first attack run even with rockets. Although, this trick does not remove the need for further balancing; 

As a destroyer captain, I'm very happy to hear that balancing the Attack Planes vs. Destroyer gameplay is made a priority! :Smile_great:

One spontaneous thought: Unless I'm in a dedicated AA-specced USN destroyer, I am inclined to have my AA turned off until I am spotted. However, this also means that when I'm spotted, the planes are likely to be right on top of me, which means that with the current non-overlapping AA range sectors, most of my AA crews won't fire at the planes anyway. Reintroducing overlapping AA range sectors might be a good way to strengthen destroyers in their stealth role, as well as evening the odds in relation to attack planes?

• Cool 4

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
7 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

As a destroyer captain, I'm very happy to hear that balancing the Attack Planes vs. Destroyer gameplay is made a priority! :Smile_great:

One spontaneous thought: Unless I'm in a dedicated AA-specced USN destroyer, I am inclined to have my AA turned off until I am spotted. However, this also means that when I'm spotted, the planes are likely to be right on top of me, which means that with the current non-overlapping AA range sectors, most of my AA crews won't fire at the planes anyway. Reintroducing overlapping AA range sectors might be a good way to strengthen destroyers in their stealth role, as well as evening the odds in relation to attack planes?

DDs should and will never be able to self defend against planes (except AAA heavy DDs9...and it is ok.

DDs need help and not in increasing AAA but making DDs perform their duty easier

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,195 posts
3,662 battles
36 minutes ago, veslingr said:

DDs should and will never be able to self defend against planes (except AAA heavy DDs9...and it is ok.

DDs need help and not in increasing AAA but making DDs perform their duty easier

I agree in principle. And what you are saying was certainly true up until the introduction of attack planes armed with rockets. Previously, it took a very skilled carrier captain to sink a destroyer with either bombs or torpedoes, and the main carrier threat to a destroyer consisted in being spotted. These new-fangled rockets, however, seem to be tailored expressly to deal with destroyers. You basically just have to point and shoot, with a good chance of scoring hits even on a smoked-up destroyer if you have tracer fire to go for. With such a dedicated anti-DD weapon on the table, it could be argued that destroyer captains need some form of counter - although I'm not entirely sure what this would be. Making every destroyer into an AA monster obviously isn't the answer, I agree with you on that.

Your basic tenet, to help destroyers perform their duties easier, is an excellent approach. I'm thinking that one step in this  direction might be to not let the 'Radio Location' skill be applicable to plane squadrons? Given the great speed those planes have to begin with, letting them have the use of Radio Location as well seems a bit over the top. True, those four skill points are a massive investment, but they would let the carrier home in immediately on their destroyer quarry, irrespective of whether the DD captain has his AA turned off or not. This, to my mind, seems overly one-sided, gameplay-wise.

• Cool 1

[BUSHI]
[BUSHI]
Players
20 posts
11,925 battles

Im still crying what you did to this game... 5 years of grinding and spending alot of money... 4 years of that giving you feedbacks so you can balance it! Now you rushed and changed and trashed meta of the game, well this is not "CV rework" this is game overhaul and i dont like it. Please revert this update or give me my money back for all that premium ships who's aa got affected by this update! 

• Cool 1

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,246 battles
1 hour ago, chazwozza said:

2 little 2 late fk this game

personally I’m playing other games and doing more rl stuff

Then why post on a forum for a game you don't play? 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[PUPSI]
Players
801 posts
2,665 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

I'm thinking that one step in this  direction might be to not let the 'Radio Location' skill be applicable to plane squadrons?

And, perhaps more to the point, removing the 'detected' icon for plane squadrons. It's only use atm (given that any planes doing anything useful will be spotted, but that's not a problem if you're not in AA range) is to tell you there is a DD near-ish, and to start circling until you find it.

Maybe some air concealment buffs for DDs would be in order too. Maybe removing stopping planes from spotting for friendlies if the nearest friendly ship is further than x km away (spotted ships appear on minimap only). Maybe direct nerfs to rockets and to T10 plane speeds. All are possibilities that could be worth trying out, although they probably shouldn't all be tried out all at once.

Players
228 posts
4,669 battles

They could add a similar feature to plane spotting DDS as with new radar. Takes X amount of seconds before the DD is spotted for the team while spotted by aircrafts. By the time the first enemy salvo is on its way to the DD, the DD should atleast have started manouvouring or moving towards cover. 

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,666 posts
6,404 battles
13 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

MM limits (our ideal limit is 1 CV per team, very few cases of 2 CV (and always 1 at tier X, but right now the limit is 3 across the board): we would like to change the limits where/when possible.

So, how long is it since they were talking about one of the reasons for the rework being that they wanted to have more CVs in a match?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
114 posts
6,057 battles

1: Dodging rockets is not hard. People will have to learn this so rocket dmg nerf is not needed. 

2: With the upcoming AA continous dmg fix will fix alot of the planes circling.

The rework has just forced us to play more as a team instead of wandering off solo rambo style and harvesting dmg.  It will take some time but at the end potatoes will figure out that if they try to work together with their team they will achieve success 

If the CV wants to use his time and permaspot 1 dd the hole match then thats not efficient for the hole team and the team will suffer. 

You cant play DD like you did before patch and the role is clearly changed. instead of all this salty comments about quitting and the rework is totally fail, people need to adapt and see that playing a destroyer with 1 CV on each team is totally doable.

When there is more than 1 CV on each team the spotting just gets way out of hand. 

• Cool 2

[RNSF]
Players
1,401 posts
15,173 battles
4 minutes ago, UltraViking said:

The rework has just forced us to play more as a team instead of wandering off solo rambo style and harvesting dmg.  It will take some time but at the end potatoes will figure out that if they try to work together with their team they will achieve success 

You call lemming trains and potato clustering a team play? :Smile_amazed:

A team play is when you can punish enemies with cross fire because of good team positioning / spread. 

Having 8 ship in single quadrant because fear of CV nonsense is not a team play :Smile-angry:

• Cool 3

[N3XUS]
Players
1,101 posts
23,878 battles
13 minutes ago, UltraViking said:

people need to adapt and see that playing a destroyer with 1 CV on each team is totally doable.

When there is more than 1 CV on each team the spotting just gets way out of hand. 

good posting there! I fully agree. But me, personally 2x CV's each side would be doable also in battles where i play any of my destroyers, yeah, np with that (= vibrant + action + even more challenging). Again ya made good solid posting there.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
114 posts
6,057 battles
17 minutes ago, Episparh said:

You call lemming trains and potato clustering a team play? :Smile_amazed:

A team play is when you can punish enemies with cross fire because of good team positioning / spread. 

Having 8 ship in single quadrant because fear of CV nonsense is not a team play :Smile-angry:

This patch has been out almost 2 weeks and you cant expect people to adapt that fast. This rework is also something WG is adjusting as time goes. releaseing this rework now was totally needed because there are alot of variables that couldnt be tested on the test server earlier.  Its great that people is active and give WG feedback but patience is also key to getting this rework optimal. We are so used to the old system and almost never meeting CVs so ofc this is a big change for us. 

Lemming trains and clustering is just a result of people not knowing what to do. This will get better but we all need to have PATIENCE

• Bad 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,666 posts
6,404 battles
10 minutes ago, UltraViking said:

This patch has been out almost 2 weeks one week.

Fixed.

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,666 posts
6,404 battles
14 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

Do overall AA balancing: shift a part of damage from flak bursts to constant DPS. Flak bursts proved to be an interesting aspect of AA. However, on the one hand, they deal disproportional amount of damage, and on the other hand, avoiding them often results in completely insufficient damage to the planes;

Wondering about this bit as well and what they mean by it. Depending on how they implement this, it can really mess up ships that rely on mainly long range AA for defense (hello Atlanta).

Sign in to follow this