Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
hgbn_dk

Kaga, does it need a dedicated commander?

17 comments in this topic

[DC_DK]
Players
3,167 posts
36,413 battles

I was wondering if it would be worth dedicating a commander solely to this ship?? Any ideas?

[ALONE]
Modder
2,387 posts
14,450 battles

As the Kaga has HE-bombs, the more-firechance-skill could be of interest.

But basically I would recommend a dedicated commander with more plane-HP and less AA-damage-skills, as her planes are the weakest of tier 8.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
47 minutes ago, Smeggo said:

As the Kaga has HE-bombs, the more-firechance-skill could be of interest.

But basically I would recommend a dedicated commander with more plane-HP and less AA-damage-skills, as her planes are the weakest of tier 8.

Then again, plane-HP and less-AA-damage sounds like the cornerstones of a standard high-point captain build for CVs. So they don't really seem to be reasons to not just share a captain with some silver CV.

Players
8,241 posts
12,173 battles
Just now, eliastion said:

Then again, plane-HP and less-AA-damage sounds like the cornerstones of a standard high-point captain build for CVs. So they don't really seem to be reasons to not just share a captain with some silver CV.

I sold my Haku as the rework can go play with itself but I'm still keeping my Prems as I don't need the Doubloons.

Only real choice for Kaga is whether you want to keep CE or not as you can't stealth torp with Kaga TB unlike with Haku. Maybe RPF instead if you're determined to make life as horrible as possible for DDs? 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
18 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Only real choice for Kaga is whether you want to keep CE or not as you can't stealth torp with Kaga TB unlike with Haku. Maybe RPF instead if you're determined to make life as horrible as possible for DDs? 

But how much use would you really have of RPF on a CV? You have an early warning system already: if something sees your planes but your planes see nothing, it's pretty much certain that it's a DD (at least when you run stealth at high tier, I'm not sure how foolproof it is at low tiers where the ships are a bit smaller). With that, combined with plane speed, it doesn't take that much effort to find these DDs anyway. Stealth, on the other hand, is always welcome - both for planes and for the hull. And yes, I know a CV often sits so far in the back that it doesn't really matter, but then again: aren't we talking Kaga that normally gets spotted at spawn? :Smile_trollface:

Players
8,241 posts
12,173 battles
30 minutes ago, eliastion said:

But how much use would you really have of RPF on a CV? You have an early warning system already: if something sees your planes but your planes see nothing, it's pretty much certain that it's a DD (at least when you run stealth at high tier, I'm not sure how foolproof it is at low tiers where the ships are a bit smaller). With that, combined with plane speed, it doesn't take that much effort to find these DDs anyway. Stealth, on the other hand, is always welcome - both for planes and for the hull. And yes, I know a CV often sits so far in the back that it doesn't really matter, but then again: aren't we talking Kaga that normally gets spotted at spawn? :Smile_trollface:

No you're right as RPF doesn't save you much time when you've got a 200 knot flying machine that can scan the relevant parts of a map in literally seconds. The CV games I've played I've started off with the Rocket plane doing a lap of the enemy fleet so that's your scouting all sorted.

It's just that after about 14 or so pts there runs out of relevant things to take for a CV player. Like the faster aim is the only relevant 4th level skill unless you place limited stock into CE. And there's only 2 essential 3rd level skills...

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
4 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

No you're right as RPF doesn't save you much time when you've got a 200 knot flying machine that can scan the relevant parts of a map in literally seconds. The CV games I've played I've started off with the Rocket plane doing a lap of the enemy fleet so that's your scouting all sorted.

It's just that after about 14 or so pts there runs out of relevant things to take for a CV player. Like the faster aim is the only relevant 4th level skill unless you place limited stock into CE. And there's only 2 essential 3rd level skills...

Well, I've managed to run out of points :Smile-_tongue:

Then again, I use torpedo acceleration and CE.

I'd also like Last Grasp, Improved Engine Boost and maybe Direction Center for Aircraft if it affects the fighters spawned from planes as well (it seems like it should) but I didn't have points for these. But yeah, CV builds are only marginally less of a no-brainer than they used to be (then 19 points were actually an overkill with nothing remotely relevant to spend them on).

Players
8,241 posts
12,173 battles
7 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Well, I've managed to run out of points :Smile-_tongue:

Then again, I use torpedo acceleration and CE.

I'd also like Last Grasp, Improved Engine Boost and maybe Direction Center for Aircraft if it affects the fighters spawned from planes as well (it seems like it should) but I didn't have points for these. But yeah, CV builds are only marginally less of a no-brainer than they used to be (then 19 points were actually an overkill with nothing remotely relevant to spend them on).

TA seems fairly important for the USN side as their spread pattern seems so bad (or aren't I not moving for long enough?)

Not sure about Last Gasp as I tend to save my engine boosts for when I really need to steam in and bomb something...

I'll probably play around a bit more if I can bring myself to play again! 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
15,254 posts
21,983 battles
4 hours ago, Negativvv said:

or aren't I not moving for long enough?

This.

The USN pattern can actually run parallel but you need to spend an obscene amount of time flying in a perfectly straight line for that to happen. Unless you're using something as cover for an approach you can practically forget about that as flak bursts will tear your squad apart.

The good thing about USN TB squads is that they turn on a dime when you slow down along with having a short attack cooldown and preparation time, making them excellent at cross dropping targets. I found that the torp spread is also often a bit tighter than the reticle would suggest, so take that into consideration when aiming.

• Cool 1

[DC_DK]
Players
3,167 posts
36,413 battles

shot-19_02.04_11_11.24-0124.thumb.jpg.c4462be631eb323389d3d114569a20ce.jpg

Question is are demolition expert the way to go or do I fair better with concealment expert??

[DREAD]
Players
11,377 posts
7,768 battles

I did give her a dedicated captain but I don’t see that it’s really need tbh. She has HE bombers but that’s it?

Players
8,241 posts
12,173 battles
5 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

This.

The USN pattern can actually run parallel but you need to spend an obscene amount of time flying in a perfectly straight line for that to happen. Unless you're using something as cover for an approach you can practically forget about that as flak bursts will tear your squad apart.

The good thing about USN TB squads is that they turn on a dime when you slow down along with having a short attack cooldown and preparation time, making them excellent at cross dropping targets. I found that the torp spread is also often a bit tighter than the reticle would suggest, so take that into consideration when aiming.

I first noticed the difference in drop patterns with Kaga vs her USN Premium competitors as the Rocket plane circle gets tighter far faster which makes them far more useful vs DDs. I'm sure USN Rockets are great but not that practical vs small dodging DD.

9 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

I did give her a dedicated captain but I don’t see that it’s really need tbh. She has HE bombers but that’s it?

Though HE Bombs have something like a 65% fire chance? Would be like taking DE for Conq....

[DREAD]
Players
11,377 posts
7,768 battles
2 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

I first noticed the difference in drop patterns with Kaga vs her USN Premium competitors as the Rocket plane circle gets tighter far faster which makes them far more useful vs DDs. I'm sure USN Rockets are great but not that practical vs small dodging DD.

Though HE Bombs have something like a 65% fire chance? Would be like taking DE for Conq....

Yep didn’t bother to take DE as the torp bombers are the more fun part. Especially against all the T10s you fight anyway 

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
15,254 posts
21,983 battles
5 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Saipan only gets TiTs which are very meh against DDs, but Enterprise FFARs are glorious. 6-7k salvos aren't uncommon.

Players
8,241 posts
12,173 battles
4 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Yep didn’t bother to take DE as the torp bombers are the more fun part. Especially against all the T10s you fight anyway 

Maybe I suck at CVs (likely) but the skipping tier WG bright idea makes MM unpleasant for CVs as inevitably the MM pushes you up and not down so T6 CVs are vs T8 and T8 might as well be top tier.

The extra AA and flak isn't fun when you're -2...

1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Saipan only gets TiTs which are very meh against DDs, but Enterprise FFARs are glorious. 6-7k salvos aren't uncommon.

Saipan hasn't impressed me so far as she feels like WG tried to capture the essence of the old RTS Saipan with small squadrons of swift higher tier planes but the damage capability falls too low for Saipan to be enjoyable for me. But again maybe I just need to CV more. Kaga feels the best out of the 2 USN and single IJN Premium CVs.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
7 minutes ago, Negativvv said:

Saipan hasn't impressed me so far as she feels like WG tried to capture the essence of the old RTS Saipan with small squadrons of swift higher tier planes but the damage capability falls too low for Saipan to be enjoyable for me. But again maybe I just need to CV more.

Saipan just feels awkward. I used her to grab that 200 steel snowflake in coop and haven't touched her since. I'm seriously contemplating converting her to doublons because - as she is - I just can't really see myself playing her in the future... and, well, doublons might not be of very great value, but compared to a port decoration... :Smile-_tongue:

Players
1,432 posts
9,444 battles

I used to run an upgraded secondaries Kaga which gave me quite good results before the rework. I think I will keep using it on that way.

Sign in to follow this