You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrConway

Supertest - Azuma

18 comments in this topic

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,374 posts
3,948 battles

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

In this publication we'd like to explain the reasons behind transferring Azuma from X tier to IX.

When a new ship is added to the game, it's tier is decided with historical characteristics taken in account. In Azuma's case there was an idea to add it as a tier X IJN cruiser, but as testing has shown, balancing the ship would require too large of a deviation from the project's characteristics.

We think that it's better for Azuma to be a good tier IX ship rather than weak tier X, so we've decided to make a transfer. Characteristics were adjusted accordingly, including the plating (30 mm thickness is a X tier cruisers trait). Accuracy became the main feature of the ship.

We've noticed concerns about the Hydroacoustic Search being removed from Azuma. We understand this, but, considering all the ship's characteristics, the testing will go without this consumable. Later, if it suits the balance, the Hydroacoustic search may be brought back.

But the idea to add an IJN tier X large cruiser hasn't gone. :cap_horn:Thus we're working on the modernized version of Azuma, which will get torpedo launchers and strengthened AA and take it's place at tier X.

Azuma.jpg

• Cool 5

[TSUN]
Community Contributor, Players, Beta Tester
367 posts
7,112 battles
1 minute ago, MrConway said:

We've noticed concerns about the Hydroacoustic Search being removed from Azuma. We understand this, but, considering all the ship's characteristics, the testing will go without this consumable. Later, if it suits the balance, the Hydroacoustic search may be brought back.

Very good to hear! 

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,933 posts
8,398 battles

Okay I love this..

With the modernized tier X IJN supercruiser, will it have 560kg shell as well? I think between the 30mm plating, heavier shell, torps and AA this would distinguish itself more than enough from Azuma. (maybe we get to see the name Ishikari or Senjo get used?)

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

Isn’t making ships as far from historical as possible something that WG does on daily basis? Why in this case it’s suddenly a problem?

Also yay, SuperAzuma, but isn’t that basically the same as just getting the current Azuma properly balanced for t10 instead if cloning her to tier 9 aswell?

The t10 at least looked half-interesting, the t9 verison looks extremely underwhelming

• Cool 2

[-MM]
[-MM]
Players
569 posts
12,052 battles

4 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Isn’t making ships as far from historical as possible something that WG does on daily basis? Why in this case it’s suddenly a problem?

Also yay, SuperAzuma, but isn’t that basically the same as just getting the current Azuma properly balanced for t10 instead if cloning her to tier 9 aswell?

The t10 at least looked half-interesting, the t9 verison looks extremely underwhelming

Yes but don't you see? That way they can sell it to us twice.

• Funny 3

[SCRUB]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,701 posts
10,567 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

But the idea to add an IJN tier X large cruiser hasn't gone. :cap_horn:Thus we're working on the modernized version of Azuma, which will get torpedo launchers and strengthened AA and take it's place at tier X.

AzumaTungCat1.jpg.910df438055c5cc80c8bdd10ff5423cf.jpg

If TX B-65 really sees the dawn, it'll be a great day for all those who wanted B-65 as TX IJN "trophy ship".

I also want to highlight the fact her AP shells were supposed to weigh 561kg , while for some reason the initial Azuma at TX has/d shells ~110kg lighter:

Spoiler

AzumaTX_V1_shellweight.thumb.png.2c4d21bfba6d1ab2324730b88f74a67a.png

So there is still plenty of room to tweak the AP parameters, i.e. to buff it for TX.

Either way, this news brought back some faith, and if all things go well, this will be nearly excellent solution for this ship project. Some say she would never had gotten torpedoes, some say she would have had them. So now we can get both versions. Also this makes probably the T9 version more easily affordable, so people don't feel so let out thanks to Steel and more casual players can also get the project B-65 ship. On the other hand, now here is still the possibility for the "hardcores" to get the TX variant as a trophy Steel ship into their collection as well. The sole reason I was saving, and am still saving my Steel is to get a TX B-65.

@Sub_Octavian  has made some extra comments regarding this on Reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/am29mk/st_azuma/

From the same Reddit thread above we also have this:

SubtavianCockteaseCA2D.thumb.png.fc012cda87eaf4b23d1b53a9b150477b.png

This could be juicy TX large cruiser for USN then.

Spoiler

CA2-D.thumb.jpg.a15b7d2976fabc8857d85a559071af49.jpg

If all these three ships realize into pixel botes someday, then we'll have large cruisers for tiers 9&10 for VMF, USN and IJN.

Being deeply interested in these large cruiser designs, this could be a great future upon us :cap_fainting:

ooo__spiney.png.5590550bf5d4ea9bdaa57e96bbaab60e.png

• Cool 3

Players
230 posts
7,639 battles
On 2/1/2019 at 3:00 PM, MrConway said:

strengthened AA and take it's place at tier X. 

does it matter? currently the majority of AA ships are useless

[T-N-T]
Players
3,714 posts
17,616 battles

Well, at least it looks like the USN T10 "large cruiser" isn't a copy of the T9 Alaska. But holy moly, so many "large cruisers"...

[CKBK]
Beta Tester
939 posts
10,816 battles
On 2/1/2019 at 3:00 PM, MrConway said:

I was against down-tiering the Azuma to tier 9, until I read this. Then it's fine.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
On 2/1/2019 at 4:24 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

If I had to wager a guess... Azuma's model. If they need to fit torps and such in, it is quite an overhaul, so it might need a new model. So why not recycle the old one for a T9 free exp sink with few resources required to make it, as the model already exists now.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:51 PM, Atorpad said:

This reminds me of Alsace and Bourgogne case !!!!

Well, it's the general case of recycling assets across tiers. Unlike Alsace/Bourgogne though, noone can complain about having their ship nerfed into the ground to make the T10 look better, as it's likely going to be a better T10 now while a model gets recycled at T9 and noone has spent resources on getting it yet.

Now I just need to get coal and find a use for my steel...

[T-N-T]
Players
3,714 posts
17,616 battles
10 hours ago, Seiranko said:

If I had to wager a guess... Azuma's model. If they need to fit torps and such in, it is quite an overhaul, so it might need a new model. So why not recycle the old one for a T9 free exp sink with few resources required to make it, as the model already exists now.

Well, it's the general case of recycling assets across tiers. Unlike Alsace/Bourgogne though, noone can complain about having their ship nerfed into the ground to make the T10 look better, as it's likely going to be a better T10 now while a model gets recycled at T9 and noone has spent resources on getting it yet.

Now I just need to get coal and find a use for my steel...

If they actually make a new model for the ... err, forgot the announced name, let's just stay with T10 Azuma, then that's one of my gripes with the ship gone, but I have huge doubts about that.

Now if neither T9 and T10 version is actually a steel ship as announced, that actually does get rid of another gripe of mine. Basically it won't be a case of T9 nerfed ship available for all and T10 full experience reserved for the steel club. Both will be available for all.

Still, a third issue remains, it's another bunch of large cruisers added to the MM that will probably wreck regular cruisers and keep outclassing them.

But yeah, if the first two points stand, huzzah!

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
56 minutes ago, wulfalier said:

Any news about the price of Azuma?

Likely 1 000 000 FreeXP, unless the price is again increased after release of Alaska