Rusty_9

Jumping on the 0.8.0 CV ideas bandwaggon

5 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Players
465 posts
1,906 battles

I thought I'd pop this in here where (hopefully) I can get intelligent responses from experienced CV mains instead of adding fuel to the rants in the general forum :Smile_trollface:

There is a lot of negative hype about DD's being perma-spotted/targeted by cv's at the moment - even if it is worse atm because every man, dog, cat and weeb is taking out CV's to try the new play style!

One thing I have often considered (an idea from the old RTS system when I was plodding along in the Bogue) was... what if planes (Flat-top only, not ship based spotters/fighters) were limited so they could only spot DD's travelling at speeds greater than, say 20 knots (or 1/2 - 3/4 speed)? DD's would have the ability to move stealthily round the map (slowly), but still shouldn't mess up their interaction with other ship types? That kind of leaves the question hanging as to how heavy gunboat focused lines/DD's would survive though.

I can't think of any major flaws in this, even with the new mechanics, and it could add that bit of versatility that is needed for DD's in carrier games? It's also semi realistic (ships often were mostly spotted due to their wakes!) although that's not exactly a 'reason' to have it. Might want to bring back torp spotting to planes though?

What would be + and - to this? Could it be a workable approach to help even the balance? Is it missing the crux of the whole CV balance question (that includes all ship types, not just DD's)? Or is it just stupid to consider such a mechanic change so early in the current 'new release hype' cluster*uck?

Sorry, I just had to ask this - it's one of those 'ideas' which wont go away!

Comments please :Smile_hiding:

[ITA_C]
Players
250 posts
6,854 battles

Consider wg don't like to have blinking ships that appear and disappear too often

I don't see it work well if not giving to the dd's the option to chose a perth style smoke

Anyway this is the cv section and the subject of this discussion is dd's

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
465 posts
1,906 battles
21 minutes ago, Torped1ne said:

1 Consider wg don't like to have blinking ships that appear and disappear too often

2 I don't see it work well if not giving to the dd's the option to chose a perth style smoke

3 Anyway this is the cv section and the subject of this discussion is dd's

1 Hmmm... yeah, OK. I can see this may not fit their 'agenda' very well then

2 Not sure I get what you mean in giving a choice of the perth style smoke? You mean, this 'under stealth' roaming should be done by using creeping smoke instead (and once it's run out, you need to flee back to fleet for AA support)? I suppose that could maybe work if you just wanted to damage-farm or approach and secure a cap 'unseen'.. but then you'd lose national flavour smoke (they all have their 'differences', USN, PA and RN being the most extreme). And more importantly, you would lose all spotting ability too (although CV's do most of that for you)... 

3 Maybe it should have just gone in the main forum... it's kind of a bit of both DD and CV, but being as it was a suggestion largely centered around CV impact I put it in here. A mod can move if they see fit ;).

Thanks for the feedback.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
77 posts
8,861 battles
1 hour ago, Rusty_9 said:

One thing I have often considered (an idea from the old RTS system when I was plodding along in the Bogue) was... what if planes (Flat-top only, not ship based spotters/fighters) were limited so they could only spot DD's travelling at speeds greater than, say 20 knots (or 1/2 - 3/4 speed

It's just a game and all that, it doesn't have to be realistic, etc etc but this is too out of it imo. 

It's not possible to try to get your head around this. The planes can't spot the DD even if they are directly overhead unless they are moving at more than 20kts?

It's possible to suspend disbelief for the sake of game mechanics but there is a limit, this is too much. 

For arguments sake, what if they are moving at 21kts? No big difference from 20 in terms of speed, no big difference in terms of wake.

Also, something I've noticed when I try to get new blood into the game. They already find some of the mechanics kind of weird(Most typically spotting and how things appear and disappear in front of them)

Now imagine something like that from the perspective of a completely new player, being told their planes will only spot the DD moving above, say 20kts even if they are right on top of it. 

It's just too much. My thoughts anyways. 

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
465 posts
1,906 battles
3 minutes ago, Miragetank90 said:

It's not possible to try to get your head around this. The planes can't spot the DD even if they are directly overhead unless they are moving at more than 20kts?

It's possible to suspend disbelief for the sake of game mechanics but there is a limit, this is too much. 

For arguments sake, what if they are moving at 21kts? No big difference from 20 in terms of speed, no big difference in terms of wake.

That is a fair point

I mean, you could tweak it so it would scale up from 0km detection range at 1/2 speed up to full air detection range at max speed. But that wouldn't truly fix the slightly 'odd' nature of the mechanic.

This is what I wanted - other peoples perspective! I don't know why, but I personally never had any issues with understanding spotting mechanics (I started 14 months ago) so it helps to get grounding from someone who has experience with those who do. (me getting the most out of the mechanic is another thing altogether!:Smile_hiding:)

• Cool 1