Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Captain_KriegWurst

0.8.0 AFT Vs Manual AA (Minotaur)

18 comments in this topic

Players
126 posts
7,606 battles

My first game in the Minotaur was fun. The new AA sound FX are awesome. But at the moment I'm running AFT which used to buff the range. Now it just buffs Long and Medium range AA. Is it worth switching to Manual AA for the DPS buffs and sector switching?

Obviously running both would be best, but that's not how I want to spend my captain points. 

Thoughts? 

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles

I don't find whole sector switching worth the effort and certainly it works against you when you're target and squadrons keep switching sides as they fly over you.

I'd stick to AFT and for extra giggles add BFT if you don't have better ideas for 2nd 3point skill

• Cool 6

Players
3,438 posts
17,233 battles

I'm rather confused about this myself.

Flamu posted a video today showing a battle in his Montana.  As usual he shows his recommended build at the end.

He seems to value Manual AA over AFT at the moment.

I haven't seen a numbers showing the effectiveness of each.

IMHO the advantages of Manual AA are

-  No longer any restrictions on calibre of guns affected

- 20% more damage of all guns

- 20% faster time to switch sectors

Advantages of AFT are

- Extended range (20%) helps you to support team mates with your AA

- Also applies to main battery  (good for secondary build BBs, and the Atlanta)

I'm still undecided what to go for on a ship-by-ship basis, though

• Cool 1

[COMFY]
Players
793 posts
2,072 battles
13 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Flamu posted a video today showing a battle in his Montana.  As usual he shows his recommended build at the end.

Advantages of AFT are

Sorry,AFT now only boost damage values of the boom clouds from the mid and long range flak, no longer increases range(but still increases range of secondary batteries and main guns with calibre less then 139mm

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,754 posts
17,292 battles

Hi all,

14 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

image.png.6483ffc973726731d8c425698c1f17c0.png

Advantages of AFT are

Very interesting... and he also dropped "Concealment Expert" (CE) as well...

Leo "Apollo11"

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles
30 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

Advantages of AFT are

AFT was preferable over MAA prior hotfix due to massive flak damage. Now as flak got nerfed and constant dps got extra buffed, MAA is actually better pick if you need more dakka

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

MAA all the way. The "nominal" 20% is a friggin joke, because it's 20% of whatever it was before, so you get +20% of 125%, which is 150% at the end (DDs go from 150% to 180% even). Also, it affects continuous dps, which Mino has in spades and will basically make sure that whatever flies into that sector dies. AFT affects bursts, which people can dodge. And if someone doesn't dodge bursts, they die anyway due to the sheer damage in a burst adding to the continuous dps. BFT beats AFT even in usefulness.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
On 1/31/2019 at 10:24 PM, Panocek said:

I don't find whole sector switching worth the effort and certainly it works against you when you're target and squadrons keep switching sides as they fly over you.

I'd stick to AFT and for extra giggles add BFT if you don't have better ideas for 2nd 3point skill

Stenghtened sectors only really affect aircraft on 1st time approaching from a relative long distance away anyways in my experience. And that damage can be dodged completely ! A full hit is problematic though as you have your whole squadron heavily damaged and will lose all aircraft after lauching only weapons of 2-3 aircraft due to continuous fire AA. But even that can have you sunk if you had only a stripe of health left !

When aircraft come in range of medium/short range AA i doubt it will have much benefit having only 1 side strenghened and the other side weak as survivors can pass over these sides multiple times. You would have to switch all the time and i have tried that......only to not see coming multiple enemy ships had me in their sights.....

So i only set defence one sided if its obvious aircraft will come from that direction begin game, but mid game i will switch it neutral. Not sure if that is worth spending assets on. It will not be if you decide to use AA cover of other ships....

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

Stenghtened sectors only really affect aircraft on 1st time approaching from a relative long distance away anyways in my experience. And that damage can be dodged completely ! A full hit is problematic though as you have your whole squadron heavily damages and will lose all aircraft after lauching only weapons of 2-3 aircraft due to continuous fire AA. But even that can have you sunk if you had only a stripe of health left !

When aircraft come in range of medium/short range AA i doubt it will have much benefit having only 1 side strenghened and the other side weak as survivors can pass over these multiple times. You would have to switch all the time and i have tried that......only to no see coming multiple enemy ships had me in their sights.....

So i only set defence one sided if its obvious aircraft will come from that direction, but mid game i will switch it neutral. Not sure if that is worth spending assets on. It will not be if you decide to use AA cover of other ships....

You can start switching when planes are making their run, as sector remains reinforced when switching. With some timing you can almost instantly greet squadron with maximum dakka as they fly over you.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
8 minutes ago, Panocek said:

You can start switching when planes are making their run, as sector remains reinforced when switching. With some timing you can almost instantly greet squadron with maximum dakka as they fly over you.

Well thats usable advise, been in CV too much i guess but that still leaves the problem of becoming too distracted of incoming fire from other ships or unable to deal that to them as you can't aim for enemy ships and switch sectors all at the same time. At least, that is what i expect.

As a regular CV player - but also playing all other classes - i do not fear aircraft so much as others it may seem.....aircraft do little damage, have terrible accuracy and get shredded by multiple ship AA, even deplaning them after hotfix. The hotfix nerfs alone pratically made using sectors - let alone buff them with assets - not nessecary.

Players
7,079 posts
11,512 battles
16 minutes ago, Seiranko said:

MAA all the way. The "nominal" 20% is a friggin joke, because it's 20% of whatever it was before, so you get +20% of 125%, which is 150% at the end (DDs go from 150% to 180% even). Also, it affects continuous dps, which Mino has in spades and will basically make sure that whatever flies into that sector dies. AFT affects bursts, which people can dodge. And if someone doesn't dodge bursts, they die anyway due to the sheer damage in a burst adding to the continuous dps. BFT beats AFT even in usefulness.

This. I dont see a reason to run AFT atm. Especially when talking Minotaur, you can replace that with RPF f.e. and get much more value out of it.

Players
3,438 posts
17,233 battles
44 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Sorry,AFT now only boost damage values of the boom clouds from the mid and long range flak, no longer increases range(but still increases range of secondary batteries and main guns with calibre less then 139mm 

Many thanks for that info - it is very useful for my planning! :Smile_honoring:

I've been partly unavailable due to holidays recently, and the WIKI is not fully up to date.

Anyone know the location of an offical tutorial on how AA works now? - with all the relevant stats included?

Or do Wargaming expect to just throw the changes on us and we have to work it out for ourselves?

(I had to use google to even find out how to change AA sector)

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
20 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

So i only set defence one sided if its obvious aircraft will come from that direction begin game, but mid game i will switch it neutral. Not sure if that is worth spending assets on. It will not be if you decide to use AA cover of other ships....

No real reason to use the AA cover of other ships. More like other ships use the AA cover of your Mino. 

9 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Well thats usable advise, been in CV too much i guess but that still leaves the problem of becoming too distracted of incoming fire from other ships or unable to deal that to them as you can't aim for enemy ships and switch sectors all at the same time. At least, that is what i expect.

As a regular CV player - but also playing all other classes - i do not fear aircraft so much as others it may seem.....aircraft do little damage, have terrible accuracy and get shredded by multiple ship AA, even deplaning them after hotfix. The hotfix nerfs alone pratically made using sectors - let alone buff them with assets - not nessecary.

Switching sectors is maybe a bit unusual, but frankly, it's not hard. It's less hectic than when I constantly screen all BBs I see on where their main guns are pointed inbetween salvos.

2 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

I've been partly unavailable due to holidays recently, and the WIKI is not fully up to date.

Anyone know the location of an offical tutorial on how AA works now? - with all the relevant stats included?

Or do Wargaming expect to just throw the changes on us and we have to work it out for ourselves?

WG published a How it Works today. I haven't watched it yet though.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,754 posts
17,292 battles

Hi all,

8 minutes ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

There is most excellent article from DevBlog I posted here yesterday:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,298 battles
1 hour ago, Seiranko said:

Try it on CV for 192% :cap_rambo:

[BS4]
Players
1,390 posts
7,591 battles
3 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Very interesting... and he also dropped "Concealment Expert" (CE) as well...

Leo "Apollo11"

There's still other ships to consider IMo. Dropping CE when your in a game with no CV's  is a mistake for us mortals...:Smile_teethhappy:

Players
3,438 posts
17,233 battles
4 hours ago, Seiranko said:

WG published a How it Works today. I haven't watched it yet though. 

3 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

There is most excellent article from DevBlog I posted here yesterday:

Thank you both! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this