Sign in to follow this  
StringWitch

How are ship AA stats actually determined?

8 comments in this topic

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,596 posts

Do the actual guns and their amounts fitted to the ship have any relevance to the stats now?

Atlanta for example has 8 twin-gun turrets capable of AA fire but only makes 5 'explosions'.

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
4 hours ago, StringWitch said:

Do the actual guns and their amounts fitted to the ship have any relevance to the stats now?

Atlanta for example has 8 twin-gun turrets capable of AA fire but only makes 5 'explosions'.

Any other correllations on other ships?

Also keep in mind RoF vs rate of puffs popping up, the guns may be firing in 3 “batteries” to keep consistent “pressure” instead of 16 puffs followed by a longer stretch of nothing

But thats just me guessing

[ALYEN]
Players
2,065 posts
4,025 battles
36 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Also keep in mind RoF vs rate of puffs popping up, the guns may be firing in 3 “batteries” to keep consistent “pressure” instead of 16 puffs followed by a longer stretch of nothing

But thats just me guessing

The number of flak bursts seems completely arbitrary in the stats. My Khaba and Grozovoi put up the same number as the Atlanta while having basically same reload but only 1/3 or 1/2 of the guns.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
25 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

The number of flak bursts seems completely arbitrary in the stats. My Khaba and Grozovoi put up the same number as the Atlanta while having basically same reload but only 1/3 or 1/2 of the guns.

Hmm, that pretty much crosses out the RoF fire idea then... I guess it’s either aliens or “balans comrade” :Smile_trollface:

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,596 posts
3 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Just looking at ships I own, since I can bring their stats up quickly (editor's note: 2 hours later this has not been done quickly)...  if it's not arbitrated on a per-ship basis it appears to be a convoluted system dependent on ship tier and gun tier, with diminishing returns for large gun counts (over 8 or 10 perhaps). Gun tier, you ask? Yes. I suspect WG have internal tiers assigned to AA gun types (and always had, not just for version 8.0), like how WOT shows tiers for guns and radios, whence derived balancing concepts like a tier 8 tank with tier 9 armour but a tier 6 gun (ie. the original KV-5).

Depending on how modern the gun is the number of puffs can range from "always 1 regardless of mount count" (actually none*) to "equal to number of mounts". Some examples below:

Always 1 (actually 0%*): 37mm Flakzwilling 30, 37mm/50 Mle 1933, 63.3mm M1916, 3" Lender, 4.7" QF, 5"/38 Mk 24.

25%: 1.1"/75 Mk 2. (I would expect to find the Japanese 25mm here but apparently it counts as short range AA now, oh dear.)

50%: 12.7cm Type 89, 2-Pounder Mk VII, 4"/45 QF, 5"/38 Mks 29 & 32, 8.8cm L/76.

100%, 40mm Bofors Mks 1 & 2, 10cm Type 98, 2-Pounder Mk VIII, 10.5cm L/65.

This has some really weird consequences for premiums with historically accurate AA plans containing 'low tier' guns, like Nelson having 1 long range puff from six 4.7" guns and Tirpitz only having 1 mid range puff from EIGHT Flakzwillings! Given their tier placement and the fictional opponents they often face with pristine AA loadouts full of the latest gun models, this seems a mite unfair. @Tuccy @MrConway You might want to take note of this paragraph and report the matter.

* The previously stated value of "always 1" is not quite true. These kinds of guns actually appear to contribute no puffs at all if there are other guns in the same range class that can produce them. See New York B hull combining 3" guns and Bofors. The Bofors are expected to produce 4 puffs and they do, but the 1 puff contribution of the 3" guns is missing. If the ship only had 3" guns, as we see on New York's A hull, the minimum of 1 puff would be assigned because the guns are considered to be of the medium type, kinda like how in a lot of RPGs you can always do 1 damage to an enemy no matter how high their defence stat is.

There are also some weird values like Atlanta having 5 puffs, when according to my observations she should have 4. I don't have enough high tier ships to comment further on any potential tier-based differences, but it seems tier 8/9 ships might get a free +1 puff and tier 10 have +2? If so I guess Atlanta has been given 'tier 8 AA stats' as part of her premium ship gimmick (the other part being the retention of unlimited AA uses since yonder days).

On diminishing returns I can only say North Carolina has 15 Bofors for 10 medium puffs.

An incidental observation: The AA upgrade (+2 puffs) is a relatively large improvement on tier 5/6 ships with crappy 37-80mm single-shot guns like Marblehead and Dunkerque.

Edited by StringWitch
  • Cool 2

[TTT]
[TTT]
Players
1,602 posts
13,884 battles

Puffs go a long way in the new defense system 7 puffs are extremely hard to dodge combine two of them auras in any given place it gets ugly. So  if you wanna max your defense go for puffs and then max the continuous damage. The puffs weaken the planes and the continuous damage then drops then fairly quick. 

[-AP-]
Players
2,778 posts
6,703 battles

Right now? The worse aa they had before the patch, the better it is now. 

This is because the long range aura is completely useless because for some bizarre reason, it doesn't overlap the other auras

Sign in to follow this