Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
elblancogringo

concealment expert on BBs

61 comments in this topic

Players
1,173 posts
7,237 battles

Hi guys,

I wanted to know what you plan to do on BBs, following the change of the CE captain skill.

Previously, that skill was more or less mandatory. Now, I wonder if it's still the case for BBs, especially when you now want to do a few more AA builds.

What are your thoughts? Will you still continue to love CE whatever the ship you play?

I'm not sure myself what to do.

Thank you

• Cool 2

[0031]
Beta Tester
352 posts

I took them all off, to test. You have till feb. 8? to play with your commander skills. My advise, try it, test it and be jolly ;-)

Players
1,313 posts
19,716 battles

I still value concealment a lot and will be keeping my CE skill on all my captains, well, not on khaba :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 5

[SHAD]
Players
3,259 posts
13,384 battles

With the current CV population you are permaspotted anyway.

I expect fewer people will play CVs in a couple of weeks.

It's still probably the best 4 pt skill for any ship.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
11,663 posts
9,721 battles

ill still take it on all BBs...

I really cant see myself losing another 2km concealment (like GK was 13,6, without CE its 15,9 and with CE 14,7...)

What do you take instead of CE? AFT? cant see myself using that. And lets face it, BBs which have good concealment before will still have decent concealment even getting only 10% bonus (like Missouri f.e.)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
3,835 battles

I've been thinking about switching CE for Fire Prevention on my Grossadmiral, Karl Fertig, who is the captain on most of my active German battleships. They've been on fire quite a lot, these past few years. Problem is, he's also the captain on the Graf Spee and the Prinz Eugen... not an obvious choice, really. Or is it? :fish_book:

Edited: I should probably add that his other 4th level skill is Advanced Firing Training. I like having a good range on my German secondaries, and the extra AA range is and added, and currently rather attractive, bonus.

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,973 posts
13,177 battles

I will respec all BB captain and switch the concealment expert skill to something more useful, fire prevention or AFT... With the amount of planes now 14 or 15km camo doesnt matter. 

Well,i might keep the conqueror one.

[SHAD]
Players
3,259 posts
13,384 battles
4 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

ill still take it on all BBs...

I really cant see myself losing another 2km concealment (like GK was 13,6, without CE its 16,8 and with CE 14,7...)

What do you take instead of CE? AFT? cant see myself using that. And lets face it, BBs which have good concealment before will still have decent concealment even getting only 10% bonus (like Missouri f.e.)

Gk is 15.9km without CE

[SHAFT]
Players
11,663 posts
9,721 battles
1 minute ago, gopher31 said:

Gk is 15.9km without CE

Oh ye, you are right. Must have looked when ship is on fire which is 16,7 and remembered wrong, or something like that :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
751 posts
14 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Edited: I should probably add that his other 4th level skill is Advanced Firing Training. I like having a good range on my German secondaries, and the extra AA range is and added, and currently rather attractive, bonus.

Didnt AFT just lose its AA-range boost?

Players
1,173 posts
7,237 battles
20 minutes ago, Fatal_Ramses said:

Didnt AFT just lose its AA-range boost?

yes, regarding AA, it now only increases damage of mid and long range gun mounts.

Not changed for secondaries i think.

[BBMM]
Players
6,508 posts
8,912 battles
29 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Oh ye, you are right. Must have looked when ship is on fire which is 16,7 and remembered wrong, or something like that :Smile_teethhappy:

Makes me think about Lion, how much use is CE on that - either I am shooting or I am running and on fire :Smile_trollface:

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,862 posts
17,918 battles

My jack-of-all trades BB build always was:

1: PT, EL

2: EM or AR

3: BFT or SI

4: FP, AFT and CE

Will see if it stands the test of time...

And yes, CE still valid.

Players
460 posts
3,920 battles

I'd say with the state the games in currently CE is just a waste of points, at this stage I am usually spotted within a minute of the games start and perma spotted for most of the rest of the game.

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
3,835 battles
20 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

yes, regarding AA, it now only increases damage of mid and long range gun mounts.

Dang. How much extra damage do you get? Is it worth it?

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles
24 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Dang. How much extra damage do you get? Is it worth it?

15% more damage from flak bursts. Considering base value can border on 2k territory, damage increase can be significant. Issue - potatoes already die to flak bursts while competent players usually fly around it:Smile_smile:

• Cool 2

[COMFY]
Players
793 posts
2,064 battles
7 minutes ago, Panocek said:

15% more damage from flak bursts. Considering base value can border on 2k territory, damage increase can be significant. Issue - potatoes already die to flak bursts while competent players usually fly around it:Smile_smile:

Something to note, even competent players can potato some of the time, so every hit on a plane could make some difference.

Players
10,259 posts
12,019 battles
Just now, howardxu_23 said:

Something to note, even competent players can potato some of the time, so every hit on a plane could make some difference.

That and some hightier boats can put out quite a wall of flak which at times can be unavoidable

[SM0KE]
Players
6,388 posts
14,914 battles

I was wondering about this too; it's a shame the free respec doesn't last longer - it would have been nice to see where the CV meta ends up before finally committing captain points.

My tentative thought (although I really suck in BBs against real people, so advice would be appreciated very much) was to perhaps skip CE on the 'secondary monster' ships, and keep it on anything that tends to engage from longer range - would that be idiotic?

• Cool 4

Players
203 posts
3,270 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

My tentative thought (although I really suck in BBs against real people, so advice would be appreciated very much) was to perhaps skip CE on the 'secondary monster' ships, and keep it on anything that tends to engage from longer range - would that be idiotic?

if it is then we are two who are having "idiotic" thoughts :).

In all earnesty though, I also thought about this. I think ships like NC should still be very careful about not taking CE. The "get deadly salvo off from reasonable range undetected" playstyle is very much incorporated into those ships. I would say, any battleships that is not a brawler and depends on mid to long range accurate shelling should continue with CE.

Brawler on the other hand, like the german BBs who have terrible dispersion and must get close to be effective, are usually in detection range anyway, with or without CE. So they just might do without.

Dont take my word though, CE IS one of the most if not the most important captain skill. So anything regarding it should be tested carefully first.

• Cool 2

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,552 posts
9,336 battles

Will keep it.

[KAKE]
Players
2,775 posts
6,795 battles
12 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I was wondering about this too; it's a shame the free respec doesn't last longer - it would have been nice to see where the CV meta ends up before finally committing captain points.

Yeah.

If WG have any sense, at the very least they'll give free respecs and upgrade demounts with every major patch for the next couple of updates.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
3,286 posts
3,835 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Your modesty does you credit, Sir. No, that is not an idiotic thought.

Given that you want to get close to do reliable damage with a close range brawling battleship, such as the Massachusetts or all the German ones, it could be argued that you will likely have less opportunity to disengage once you have committed to the fight, whether you have the CE skill or not. So I believe that @Atankean has a very valid point in post #20 above.

On the other hand, you might want to avoid detection for as long as possible before you open fire, especially when you are in a close range brawling battleship. And given that you are at a disproportionate disadvantage in long range gunnery duels, any extra edge in concealment value if you find yourself wanting do disengage, is valuable. And since many of the German battleships have an advantage in speed over their peers, they can often dictate the range of the engagement.

Then we have the first contact bias, that will always be a psychological reality no matter what changes WG may introduce to this game. When someone starts shooting at a given target, he or she will be likely to stick to that choice even if other targets appear mere seconds later. Being the second one to be spotted is vastly better than being the first.

So all in all, my guess would be that the CE skill remains a very valid choice for all types of ships. But a guess is really all this is, at this juncture. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

[I-J-N]
Players
5,659 posts
2 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

So.. this boils down to how viable secondary builds are now and whether it's worth to put 4 pts into that with reduced AA efficiency.

2 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Makes me think about Lion, how much use is CE on that - either I am shooting or I am running and on fire :Smile_trollface:

I've always wondered about exactly when the CE is useful for BB's... disengaging and redeployment?

[THESO]
Players
4,557 posts
6 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

So.. this boils down to how viable secondary builds are now and whether it's worth to put 4 pts into that with reduced AA efficiency.

I've always wondered about exactly when the CE is useful for BB's... disengaging and redeployment?

Popping up out of nowhere and get those juicy broadsides.

Sign in to follow this