You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IBloomJustForYou

ST Soviet BB special Damage Control criticism

26 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
20 posts
7,074 battles

As on today's DevBlog post:

Also, an important thing for close combat is a special "Damage Control Party", similar to that found on "Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya": 3(4) charges, but with a fast cooldown. It can raise ship's survivability at crucial moments, at the expense of long-term survival

I consider this a very bad idea. The fact that the high tier Soviet BBs also have 32mm plating (where that is, remains to see) means that the threat by HE cruisers by direct damage plus fires is far too high, especially if WG wants these to be close range ships. These BBs won't be like a Kurfürst that takes almost no direct HE damage and can push in. It will likely mean that if you push, you will get spammed by every HE cruiser because they know they can do direct damage and draw out your limited consumables, so you'll die much faster than a KF.

Sadly, the BB meta at high tiers is to keep at a range where you can still disengage, or sit behind cover and tank damage, as who pushes gets almost always focused. As it stands, these Soviet BBs go completely against that and will likely not work well in randoms, rather being damage pinatas for cruisers.

The problem with this I don't see in the average player, as until the mid-game, the limited DC charges will last, but in the better players who last through to the end of a match by timing their consumables and their aggression correctly. Having limited charges is unnecessarily punishing in these situations when having to fight a cruiser/DD/rocket CV at the end of a game, which artificially lowers the skill ceiling of the ships.

However, there might be a use for the limited DC in competitive scenarios with less ships. Therefore, the following:

Proposal for possible solutions:

1. Give players a choice between using the short-cooldown limited-charge DC and the long-cooldown unlimited standard DC on the ship.
  2. Give the Soviet BBs a "limited superheal": as we know, healable damage is normally 10% of citadel, 50% of medium (penetration) and 100% of light (DoT) damage. The proposal is to lower the healability coefficient for "medium" from 50% to e.g. 15-25%, and giving the Soviet BBs access to a Conqueror-like heal. This would mean that players could heal all of the fire/flood damage (hence the Damage Control would be less necessary), while having to take penetrations more seriously, therefore not making it OP (we wouldn't have the Conqueror situation that enemy BBs can't do anything). This would make pushing in a conscious decision for risk to take permanent penetration damage (that is a calculated risk, as the amount is consistent), while reducing the danger of being punished for pushing in by stacked RNG DoTs greatly, therefore making the BBs work in the intended role.

(the post for reference)

• Bad 8

[CATS]
Players
28,956 posts
15,141 battles

I suggest to read the whole article.

Soviet BBs also have decent, but average levels of secondaries and good HE protection thanks to thick deck armour.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[DREAD]
Players
10,577 posts
7,341 battles

They (and mind you these look OP as hell) are not even in testing and the first dude complains about them and calls in a buff ....

• Cool 3
  • Funny 6

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,973 posts
13,236 battles

Its not a problem i have never ran out of repairs (5) in my OktoberRevolution.

DONT.REPAIR.1.FIRE.

• Cool 5

Players
891 posts
18,438 battles

Is this a RU BB buff thread? 

Before they are even out yet? 

Not gonna lie, there is some meme potential here

• Funny 15

Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

I only use DCP on 2 fires when I BB.

Also BoS, FP and Fire Flags help reduce the burn even more.

The limited RU charges don't concern me all that much...

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,519 posts
11,043 battles
1 hour ago, kfa said:

DONT.REPAIR.1.FIRE.

OK.

Now try that against a team with Zao, Hindenburg, DM, Worcester, Harugomo, Conqueror. Any of those can easily cause 2 fires with 1 volley. Hell, with 2 shell hits! And you can say anything about BB armor because HE shells don't need to penetrate to cause a fire.

[NWP]
Players
3,163 posts
17,417 battles

Start counting how many DCP you use now in a BB. I know, for my part, that it is around 5 and the games where i need a lot more are rare.

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,140 posts
11,204 battles
5 minutes ago, Humorpalanta said:

OK.

Now try that against a team with Zao, Hindenburg, DM, Worcester, Harugomo, Conqueror. Any of those can easily cause 2 fires with 1 volley. Hell, with 2 shell hits! And you can say anything about BB armor because HE shells don't need to penetrate to cause a fire.

Zao uses HE

Kremlin is burning

Kremlin uses 3x3 457mm with high accuracy and high velocity
It's super effective !

Zao fainted

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[THESO]
Players
4,612 posts

There is another thread about historical aspect in the game...

Here WG should give superior dmg control party to USA. Would make sense. Soviets? Something else...

• Cool 1

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,519 posts
11,043 battles
1 hour ago, Exocet6951 said:

Zao uses HE

Kremlin is burning

Kremlin uses 3x3 457mm with high accuracy and high velocity
It's super effective !

Zao fainted

Zao uses smoke or island.

Kremlin:

l-40685-confused-screaming.jpg

[SEN]
Players
795 posts

Zao uses HE

Kremlin is burning

Kremlin uses 3x3 457mm with high accuracy and high velocity low to medium velocity.
It's super effective !

Zao fainted

here, fixed 4 you. Read the russian bb.s stats again

• Bad 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
5,140 posts
11,204 battles
36 minutes ago, SEN_SEN_Channel_Portugue said:

here, fixed 4 you. Read the russian bb.s stats again

I'm going to stop you right there.

800m/s on a 457mm AP is enormous. 20m/s faster than the Yamato with a shell just as heavy (if not more)

830m/s on 406mm AP is enormous, and 20m/s faster than the runner up and almost 70m/s more than USN and RN 406s

793m/s on 406mm AP is enormous, and second in velocity for T8

So please do tell how being first or second is low to medium velocity.

• Cool 2

Players
7,481 posts
245 battles

Will these consumables be faster than the premium version or the standard version?

what an odd line to go up.

[UNICS]
Players
4,506 posts
15,942 battles
3 hours ago, kfa said:

DONT.REPAIR.1.FIRE.

I didn't even notice they ran out :Smile_hiding:

[NOWH]
Players
878 posts
6,026 battles
Just now, CptBarney said:

Will these consumables be faster than the premium version or the standard version?

what an odd line to go up.

they reload much faster, but you only get 3.

basically, you either charge in and get as much damage done in a blaze of glory, or burn to death.

[IDDQD]
Players
695 posts
14,614 battles

I'm going to stop you right there.

800m/s on a 457mm AP is enormous. 20m/s faster than the Yamato with a shell just as heavy (if not more)

830m/s on 406mm AP is enormous, and 20m/s faster than the runner up and almost 70m/s more than USN and RN 406s

793m/s on 406mm AP is enormous, and second in velocity for T8

So please do tell how being first or second is low to medium velocity.

he said slow, so its slow! obviously slowest of all them Russian shells, period.

[BBMM]
Players
6,525 posts
9,021 battles

IMO they should have mega-thick citadels but have large openings at the joins.

So you'd usually not even citadel them with a Yamato but sometimes they'd get 3 from a DD.

And then they all need to get double extra adrenalin rush, because of vodka-injection. 

Everything would go faster, more speed, faster turning turrets, but sigma would suffer 50%. 

Hell yeah I'd play them, probably would shoot half the enemy team but a quarter of my own as well. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,525 posts
9,021 battles
9 minutes ago, thiextar said:

why would glorious Russian ships need weaknesses?

Because else everybody will use them, and it is no fun?

OK I do have plenty ramming flags. :Smile_trollface:

[POMF]
Beta Tester
1,989 posts
4,247 battles
4 hours ago, nambr9 said:

There is another thread about historical aspect in the game...

Here WG should give superior dmg control party to USA. Would make sense. Soviets? Something else...

There are some pretty good jokes to be made out of the 'best BB turret traverse' at least :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
891 posts
18,438 battles
6 hours ago, Verdius said:

There are some pretty good jokes to be made out of the 'best BB turret traverse' at least :Smile_trollface:

Like for example that they returned HMS Royal Sovereign to the British with turrets that had seized up and they ended up having to to scrap the whole thing due to its poor condition :Smile_trollface: