You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrConway

Lunar New Year

24 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,426 posts
2,343 battles

Captains, 

Please leave any feedback on the Lunar New Year content and offers here.

Players
48 posts
3,695 battles

i expected commemorative Year of the Pig flag. i was looking forward for it. (there was Year of the Dog flag last year). Nice flag with fat pig. Come on. (and i really mean it)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,467 posts

Yup, you've set a precedent, gotta do all the animals for the next 11 years.

Also, as others pointed out elsewhere, the value of the container bundles is absolutely atrocious. Something like 475 doubloons per consumable camo. And I'm sure having the rewards in tiers is some kind of sales trick. On top of that, you use Chinese number 8 theming to overprice things (what would these normally be? 5000 doubloons each?). You're just ticking all the boxes in a Marketing 101 book. Good for you I guess.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,305 posts
11,625 battles

According to a Daily Bounce article there is a Year of the Pig flag:

pcee229_lunarnewyear.png

Where is it? Did you decide to not include it in the event? Why?

• Cool 1

Players
20 posts
2,593 battles

@MrConway

In my opinion of a Chinese, I have to say that the style of your design container is an urn.This urn is used to store the ashes of dead people. This is unlucky in Chinese culture.

It is obvious that the designers of WG are wrong about the aesthetics of Chinese style.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,305 posts
11,625 battles
3 hours ago, AmagiandAkagi said:

@MrConway

In my opinion of a Chinese, I have to say that the style of your design container is an urn.This urn is used to store the ashes of dead people. This is unlucky in Chinese culture. It is obvious that WG's auditors have a bias toward the aesthetics of Chinese style.

Seeing as 0.8.0 shapes up to be a funeral for WoWS I think the design is fitting. After all we are receiving some grave goods to go with a death knell of a patch. I'll see myself out.

PS: Just saw the price for the bad RNG containers in the shop. Guess who's not buying?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Quality Poster
3,763 posts
8,474 battles

I'll reserve my final judgement until the premium shop updates (in the hope, that Irian will also be available through there).

1. Appearance: Overall neat. Your design team does great styles. Although if @AmagiandAkagi is right with the 'urn' design ... ehhh ... yeah ... could've probably done differently. Personally I like Chinese/Asian themed stuff.

2. Mission chain: Solid. Nothing fancy and with the 3 days warships premium a player can get from "Lunar New Year Day" any captains or combined XP grinds can be done a tad faster. I like that.

3. Special captain: Solid. 

4. Containers: In and off itself they are nothing to write home about. As by now: Standard content (which I'd describe as "Meh" at best) without any explanation on real drop chances discourages me from recommending these containers as a shop item to buy. The 'reward' with the highest drop chance seems to be the Lunar Year camo. Now I understand that for WG this item is worth the price, but given that over Christmas (New Year Streamer, Frosty Fir) or earlier occasions (Victory Salut) camos were given out with better stats for the same price (judging by price per container and number of camos per container). So this one? No!

5. Arsenal offer: IF the Irian is only available through this offer then this is the worst offer WG has put up for players in a long time. I'm talking about the bad old times of forced bundles! I can see why you tried it with a staged approach. The players that want to gamble and are unlucky getting the Irian with the first 15 loot boxes, they have a guarantee that after gambling twice they get the Irian definitely in the third package. Why you though reduced the number of boxes per stage is beyond me. But having her available only via this route is shaby to say the least. IF you'd pay three times 8888 dubloons and would get 15 containers in each of the stages, then MAYBE it could be conisdered a somewhat okish offer, but the way it is setup now? BIG NO. Heck, even players with tons of dubloons stay off of this offer (either because of the way it's set up or because they don't need any more camos, dubloons, FXP).

Overall 2/5 for an Event. You can do way better! 

• Cool 1

Players
84 posts
3,758 battles

The containers did seem less worth it than the Christmas ones in terms of return, I thought you had a policy that they'd equal value.

[BYOB]
Players
3,305 posts
11,625 battles
3 hours ago, Allied_Winter said:

I'll reserve my final judgement until the premium shop updates (in the hope, that Irian will also be available through there).

The offers are up and the only thing you can buy are boxes and consumable camos. So the only reliable way to get Irian is to spend 3x8888 doubloons. A total rip-off.

• Cool 1

Players
455 posts
1,635 battles

I have to say I'm not a huge fan of time-gated 'score x secondary hits' missions – they generally require one to be playing a handful of particular ships (as distinct from the whole of a given class) with the relevant build, and with a specific playstyle that might not be at all optimal. It might make sense where the reward is a German or maybe French commander, or a commander who works best for BBs, but for a PA DD commander it seems weird.

Add to that the ridiculous price of the bundles in the Arsenal, and I guess I'll just have to hope these commanders land in the Arsenal for 35k coal/1.5k doubs fairly soon :Smile_sad:

Beta Tester
1 post
646 battles

Pathetic container lottery! Again :(.

As much as i liked the worlds of tanks and warships I see myself returning fewer and fewer times.

The main reason for this is dat many of wargamings decisions for monetariziation feel more and more as rip offs. Having spent hundreds of euros over the years I´m no longer willing to pay for worse and worse deals.

Current example is the lunar container lottery - same thing they did in wot not all too long ago. I personally despise such sales tactics and therefor have a hard time supporting a company which implements such undue virtues. Payin for premium was ok for me until now, playin without is not too much fun in my opinion cause the feelin of achievin something (e.g. unlocking new ships, tanks, etc) is not there without - as it is intended for moneymaking - i understand dat, and up too a certain point dat is ok. Sadly this point has been waaaaaayyyyy overshot.

Overall I have to say dat I´m quite frustrated dat good games become unenjoyable due to way too greedy monetarization. As I remember wargaming wasn´t dat greedy 6 or 7 years ago. As a customer of wargaming one got the impression dat they value their customers. Nowadays I just feel fu*§$% and hoaxed and a whole lot other negative things when I see schemes like the lunar lottery. 

Otherwise nice patch ;).

• Cool 1

[TIB]
Beta Tester
21 posts

I for one am really enjoying the Lunar new Year Event.

With the Mission to get 3 day premium, I have also got another 3 days from the boxes.

Only downside for me is that  I got a premium camo for the Loyang, but no ship lol.

I am not able to put any Money into the game so I think I will just sit and stare at the camo in my inventory, and hope one day to be able to get the ship somehow lol.

Seriously though, am enjoying the Event, me and the missus are racing each day to be the first to finish the directive.

Keep it up, and by the way, the new update isnt as bad as the Publicity, lets see where we are in 6 to 7 weeks, then we can Judge it.

Have fun everyone and good sailing.

[BODEM]
Players
103 posts
4,568 battles

Why would you do the follow up Arsnal bundles, apart from the money it could, might, possibly, but not probably, make? 8888 dubloons for 1 container with a crappier Kutuzov, a captain and 3 crates was interesting, but having to spend 17000 dubloons first on rubbish pottery stuff is a crappy decision. At least you made the decision to spend doubloons for me :)

• Cool 1

[NUNC]
Players
22 posts
15,211 battles

And then there's the fun little problem of people living in countries where these type of random boxes are no longer legally allowed.  As things are right now, I have no way of getting Irian.  I really dont understand why you have to use this tiered system with RNG-boxes instead of the old approved ship bundles.

Quality Poster
3,763 posts
8,474 battles
7 minutes ago, DecosterDavid said:

Any reason I'm not seeing the 3 Lunar New Year Bundles in the Arsenal?

Belgium banned Lootboxes? If your location in your profile is correct

[PC]
Beta Tester
40 posts
2,949 battles
2 minutes ago, Allied_Winter said:

Belgium banned Lootboxes? If your location in your profile is correct

So, now we're not only screwed from buying what we want through the game store, but even in-game? Frack this bcrap. At least with stuff in the in-game store I could have a non-Belgian clanmate 'gift' me stuff...

I wonder what location / country the game will count me as if I log in across the border...

[BYOB]
Players
3,305 posts
11,625 battles
6 minutes ago, DecosterDavid said:

I wonder what location / country the game will count me as if I log in across the border...

According to some people WG is now listing your country of residence in the profile, so no matter where you log in, you still count as being in Belgium. Which is weird...

[-FC-]
Players
245 posts
9,425 battles

The directives were nicely pitched - not too ball-achingly tedious to complete for those with only a few hours to spare each week, if you'll forgive the crudity.  The contents of the containers were pitiful though - I seem to remember getting only one camo in one, perhaps a few flags or cammos in another.  I got more satisfaction from just completing the directive and looking at the pretty containers, than opening them.

Sounds mean hearted to complain - so thank you anyway for the freebees, but do be aware that they were pretty underwhelming.  Perhaps this was your intention, since there was an outside chance of scooping a juicy Premium ... for me though, that didn't really float my boat.  Thanks again.

Players
49 posts
1,838 battles
On 1/30/2019 at 12:00 PM, MrConway said:

Captains, 

Please leave any feedback on the Lunar New Year content and offers here.

We need less ships in the containers, it seems like every container has one. WG should put more permanent cammos for ships we do not have, to promote sales an enhance game expirience.

All in all, opening containers seem to have the biggesr fun factor since hotfix was released. Perhap just slightly increase the price, as they seen way too cheap for the gain.

[BYOB]
Players
3,305 posts
11,625 battles

Here's a quick summary of the event from me, as it seems that it already has ended.

Boxes in the shop:

The price to value ratio is off. The boxes with the low drop rate showcased by CCs and youtube videos made it easy for me not to buy any, even though I wanted the new skins for the Pan-Asian DDs. The lack of meaningful non RNG offers in the shop was disappointing.

Arsenal doubloon offer:

I'm appalled by the greed displayed by WG with the Arsenal offer. Requiring players to spend 26664 doubloons in total, for a premium T8 ship not available otherwise, is so insulting and greedy that it soured the rest of the event for me. If this is the future of this game then I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Lunar New Year & Dragon Dance Ship missions:

The highlight of the event in my opinion. A free special captain is always welcome, even though the mission was a grind. But it had no extra prerequisites so it was alright, although the last requirement of 250 secondary hits was a bit too restrictive.

Directives:

These were nothing special. The fact that WG decided to run the Lunar New Year event over 2 weeks, while having Pan-Asian ship missions in 4 is an enigma to me.

The 18x free Lunar boxes were a disappointment for me and added to my conviction not to spend money on the event. I have unlocked 18 free boxes with the following content:

250 Doubloons - 3 (750)
5000 free XP - 4 (20000)
3 Lunar new year camo - 8 (24)
2 Type 69 camo - 2 (4)
1 Spring Sky camo - 1

Save for the doubloons the rewards were incredibly forgettable and the doubloons were only interesting because I wanted to buy a special captain in the Arsenal.

Port, dragon

A really nice addition, kept using it during the event.

In my previous post I have mentioned the lack of the Lunar New year flag this year. Seeing as the flag in question has been added to the client (I checked the res file) but not given out, I'd like to know why WG decided to withhold it, any comment @MrConway?

All in all I'm pretty disappointed with this year's lunar new year event, compared to the previous two years I have experienced, it was really lacking.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,426 posts
2,343 battles
4 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Here's a quick summary of the event from me, as it seems that it already has ended.

Boxes in the shop:

The price to value ratio is off. The boxes with the low drop rate showcased by CCs and youtube videos made it easy for me not to buy any, even though I wanted the new skins for the Pan-Asian DDs. The lack of meaningful non RNG offers in the shop was disappointing.

Arsenal doubloon offer:

I'm appalled by the greed displayed by WG with the Arsenal offer. Requiring players to spend 26664 doubloons in total, for a premium T8 ship not available otherwise, is so insulting and greedy that it soured the rest of the event for me. If this is the future of this game then I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Lunar New Year & Dragon Dance Ship missions:

The highlight of the event in my opinion. A free special captain is always welcome, even though the mission was a grind. But it had no extra prerequisites so it was alright, although the last requirement of 250 secondary hits was a bit too restrictive.

Directives:

These were nothing special. The fact that WG decided to run the Lunar New Year event over 2 weeks, while having Pan-Asian ship missions in 4 is an enigma to me.

The 18x free Lunar boxes were a disappointment for me and added to my conviction not to spend money on the event. I have unlocked 18 free boxes with the following content:

250 Doubloons - 3 (750)
5000 free XP - 4 (20000)
3 Lunar new year camo - 8 (24)
2 Type 69 camo - 2 (4)
1 Spring Sky camo - 1

Save for the doubloons the rewards were incredibly forgettable and the doubloons were only interesting because I wanted to buy a special captain in the Arsenal.

Port, dragon

A really nice addition, kept using it during the event.

In my previous post I have mentioned the lack of the Lunar New year flag this year. Seeing as the flag in question has been added to the client (I checked the res file) but not given out, I'd like to know why WG decided to withhold it, any comment @MrConway?

All in all I'm pretty disappointed with this year's lunar new year event, compared to the previous two years I have experienced, it was really lacking.

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: The flag I'll have to check!

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,305 posts
11,625 battles
On 2/14/2019 at 4:35 PM, MrConway said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: The flag I'll have to check!

Any news you can share about the flag?